What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (11 Viewers)

They are setting up the fact that Bran can change the past, he's not just limited to being a passive visitor. Not sure how he's going to use that ability in the future exactly but they are clearly setting up his ability to reach back and alter something. 

i guess I'm not getting the hate. I thought that episode was crazy and awesome. 
I wouldn't worry about.  75% of this thread is full of whiners complaining about one of the best shows ever.  They knocked it out of the park with this ep.  Quality  :thumbup:  

I thought it was a good episode, though a bit underwhelming after all the hubbub that started with the after-show clowns.  Without that I think it would have been even better.  Their comments combined with the amount of time they spent on Hodor in the "previously on" section meant that you could pretty much guess that he was going to eat it when it went to that scene with only a few minutes left in the episode.

I still thought the scene was good and enjoyed the "hold the door" thing, but it would have been much better if it came out of the blue.  I'd really rather those talking dead wannabies just keep their mouths shut if they're pre-watching episodes.

They are setting up the fact that Bran can change the past, he's not just limited to being a passive visitor. Not sure how he's going to use that ability in the future exactly but they are clearly setting up his ability to reach back and alter something. 
I disagree.  What has he changed?  Our perspective has always been Hodor saying Hodor.

The characters seem to travel at record pace this season. Sansa and Theon left winterfell, got to castle black/iron island. Littlefinger left eyre and got to the place he met sansa (I forgot the location they said) all seemingly in days.

Like a lot of the other episodes this season, I really liked some stuff, but mostly felt meh.  For me a lot of it is the sequence of the scenes.  They seem to start on stuff that I love and am interested in, and then peter out to stuff that I just find bad.  Don't get the love for the ending.  Some of the stuff in the cave looked like Jason and the Argonauts, and what we find out Hodor means is just silly. 

Love the stuff with Sansa and Littlefinger (even though I can't believe she is still stupid enough to listen to him).  Of course the look Tormund gives to Brianne again was :moneybag: And I really liked the exchange between Red Witch 2 and Varys, but other than that nothing really stands out to me.
Isn't it more about the idea that Brandon can change or alter the past than the secret origin of Hodor?

I thought Brienne was going to see Badfish for Sansa but then Sansa and John and others left. What did I not pay attention to this  time?

I thought Brienne was going to see Badfish for Sansa but then Sansa and John and others left. What did I not pay attention to this  time?
It appears that they changed their minds without revising the script...though it is possible, that the group is headed one place, and Brienne will break away and head for the river lands.

Still don't think Bran "changed" the past in a way that altered the future.  Hodor was Hodor for the entire series - so however it happened, it happened in the past - that ink was dry.

Seems like going back to warn Robb not to attend the Red Wedding, or to tell Ned not to go to Kings Landing, or tell himself to not climb the tower at Winterfell - would be how he would change the past...

I wouldn't worry about.  75% of this thread is full of whiners complaining about one of the best shows ever.  They knocked it out of the park with this ep.  Quality  :thumbup:  
I generally like most of what the show has done. But that episode fell flat to me. And someone has to help bran and meera no way they outrun that horde

Not sure in what aspect she'll be stone cold - definitely not as an assassin. This episode more or less advanced the idea that she's never going to be "no one".  

ETA: sick of watching her stick fighting too. her story is getting tired.
I think we have been saying that she is going to be stone cold since we saw her take out those dudes with the Mountain. 

Would it be more interesting if everybody just came in and loved everything about everything on the show?  If I didn't still like it, I wouldn't watch it.  Doesn't mean that I agree that it is still at it's peak or that this episode was great overall.  

Ok, I'll say it. Could someone please try to explain the whole Hodor thing?   I just don't get it.

So he goes back in time and wargs into hodor while back in time causing him to become what he is?

If he doesn't go there this never happens?  

Just lost on that whole thing now

How would they do that, without ravens?  Jon also wants to meet other family heads.
I will admit I was too far into my vodka and misread what was going on there.  I thought all were going to Riverrun, but yeah, more likely still just Brienne as Jon and co. talk to the other houses. 

No way Littlefinger isn't waiting to pounce somewhere.  He would be wise to go seek out Frey - control access of the River and help him get revenge on Ramsey killing his daughter.

Ok, I'll say it. Could someone please try to explain the whole Hodor thing?   I just don't get it.

So he goes back in time and wargs into hodor while back in time causing him to become what he is?

It's like a time paradox. Didn't make sense but similar to terminator. I don't even bother trying to understand it. He technically didn't go back in time. He was just having a vision. And in the midst of that vision he warged into both versions of Hodor at the same time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the old guy actually Bran?  

So these tree people make the white walkers, do we know how they lost control of them?  

I think they missed the chance to burn the tree/cave while Hodor was Hodoring. Would have made the sacrifice meaningful. As it is now, Bran/Meera have a seemingly meaningless head start. I kept expecting flames. But I am not getting the hate for the episode. 
Same here.... I was wondering.... ok, great Hodor is Hodoring but he can't do that forever. So, like the Children of the Forest, the sacrifice buys them some more time. So.... now what? There has to be more or else that is kinda dumb.

https://yadi.sk/i/bH5W2U0Rru9Ug

Saw this weeks episode at this link.  Didn't cause any problems for my computer.  Best episode since Oberyn vs the Mountain.
Really?
Thought the same thing after watching. This episode wasn't close to the best in a while. Good episode, but the WWs versus the Wilding episode was far better than this one. Hodor's nice and all (although some in here think he's transcendent), but standing in slippery snow and he can hold back hundreds of wights pushing on the door?

Also, how did Bran's friend (I forgot her name) kill the WW? Was the spear tipped with something and should we have known that?

It obviously has to do with the vision since he warged into Hodor before. This time, he was in a vision state and warged which obviously totally messed with Hodor to the point all he could say was hold the door which morphed into Hodor.

That's all I got.

In an episode review I read a description that said that "Hodor saw the moment of his death and it got burned into his brain by Bran"

I can buy that explanation, Bran was inside both brains at once and fried them.

So he cant really change the past.  In theory he could get into another persons brain and do the same, but it would take the combination of him being with the person at the time of their tramatic death and him being back in time visiting that person at the same time.

The characters seem to travel at record pace this season. Sansa and Theon left winterfell, got to castle black/iron island. Littlefinger left eyre and got to the place he met sansa (I forgot the location they said) all seemingly in days.
The alternative is they show everyone standing around like Dany for episodes, or even seasons, at a time. I prefer they take liberties with the time it takes to get from A to B.

Thought the same thing after watching. This episode wasn't close to the best in a while. Good episode, but the WWs versus the Wilding episode was far better than this one. Hodor's nice and all (although some in here think he's transcendent), but standing in slippery snow and he can hold back hundreds of wights pushing on the door?

Also, how did Bran's friend (I forgot her name) kill the WW? Was the spear tipped with something and should we have known that?
 A couple seasons back, Samwise found a buried stash of special weapons, I think they were constructed of black onyx or something.  He gave those weapons to Bran & Co. when they set out to go north of the wall.  Sam himself had killed a WW with one of them, so he figured out what they were for.

I was thinking last night, at the way they pace this thing Euron will have his thousand ships built and be sailing into Meereen by next week.

The alternative is they show everyone standing around like Dany for episodes, or even seasons, at a time. I prefer they take liberties with the time it takes to get from A to B.
If Jack Bauer can get from Canoga Park to Irvine in 10 minutes, then Theon can get from the north to his homeland in a couple episodes. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread