What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Isn't that kinda what they did? But just as a bridge - rather than smother the whole thing? Which would have been wasteful of troops.
They waited a bit until the NK commanded them to do it ..and who cares if they lose a ton of troops, he can just make them rise again at will. The NKs end game was to kill Bran and create endless night, and as long as the dead army got him inside so he could get to Bran, that's all he really needed them for.

The way they smothered the Dothraki in seconds, it seems like an 8 feet wide fire moat wouldn't have slowed them down at all. But I've never commanded an army of dead, so what do I know?

I'm just nitpicking for fun, I loved the episode although I think the Battle of the Bastards was the best battle, it was tougher to watch and had more OMG monents, IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Also there was some high speed dragon-riding maneuvers and without safety harnesses there's no way theyd be able to hang on without getting flung off. 

I really had to suspend belief for this episode.
There was a aerial battle between two dragons, and the ability of riders to hold on was the part that required you to suspend disbelief? 
Actually, I really get this.

As a big fan of epic fantasy, I can say that many of us suspend belief in things like magic and monsters, but we still expect physics to work as it should otherwise.

I think hanging on to a dragon falls under that. Especially since Tyrion made a special saddle for himself and Bran - for horses...why not a dragon saddle of sorts?

I'm with Wingnut on this.

Watched it a second time and enjoyed even more, I guess because the stress level wasn’t so high.  This is a great show, maybe the GOAT.  I’d pay $500 right now if I could binge watch the final 3 episodes.  Must have been so hard for the actress who plays Arya not to give out spoilers.   I wasn’t surprised that the NK would survive dragon fire, but I was surprised that his clothes could.  Dany’s couldn’t earlier in the series, but we all benefited from that😊.   I figured in order for the NK to be able to ride a dragon he would have to  have been a Targaryen.

How pissed would you be as a Dothraki fighter? You sail across the sea to help a foreign queen win her throne, but instead you're assigned to bumrush 100k+ zombies. 

Not the way I envisioned riding into the grassy nightlands. 😠

Watched it a second time and enjoyed even more, I guess because the stress level wasn’t so high.  This is a great show, maybe the GOAT.  I’d pay $500 right now if I could binge watch the final 3 episodes.  Must have been so hard for the actress who plays Arya not to give out spoilers.   I wasn’t surprised that the NK would survive dragon fire, but I was surprised that his clothes could.  Dany’s couldn’t earlier in the series, but we all benefited from that😊.  
So -- ya say'n ya wanted to see the NK's Popsicle?

Odd.

;)

...I figured in order for the NK to be able to ride a dragon he would have to  have been a Targaryen.
Good point. My only thought, is that once the dragon was made undead, by NK, that the Targ requirement was lost & replaced with a NK requirement - as the NK kinda father'd him.

Best I can do.

Another thought that I don't think has been mentioned - if it has, I apologize for missing it.

When Jon is charging the NK - and then NK raises the dead, they could have easily swarmed and killed Jon - but they didn't.

Why?

Was it - as others pointed out - that Bran was the true goal? (I believe this)

Even if so, would it not have been beneficial to eliminate Jon - just in case?

I dunno. Maybe I missed something, but I need to think more about that.

EDIT: Yes, Dany and her dragon do come to his rescue, but it is still later than required and the dead weren't really even focusing on Jon unless he stood in their path.

And, a few scenes later, Dany and Jorah DO get swarmed. Is Dany more a threat than Jon?

After watching more and thinking, 'I have an answer that works for me.

The group of deado's that ignored Jon, were the personal force the NK was gonna use to break thru to Bran.

The group of deado's swarm'n Dany & Jorah were another force dedicated to Project Mayhem.

Best I can do.

EDIT: OK - maybe - maybe the dead were try'n to swarm Jon, but it was hard for me to see. Perhaps this has all just been my poor view'n.

The giant crushing the young queen chick was brutal. It sounded like stalks of celery being broken.

Also  when the NK walked into the garden there was only one possible outcome - he had to die - otherwise everybody else does and the show is over. So while it was awesome, it was pretty obvious it was about to happen. The way she did it was pretty boss though 
It was real cool. Lord knows how she just strolled past 7 of those White Walker General but it was a cool move.

jhib said:
Did Lady Mormont strike you as someone who would not spend the time to train for battle every chance she got?
She was squeezed so hard by the giant that we heard her bones breaking. I like the character and all but it was very cliche 

MoD has to lose a lot of power now. No more Dothraki horde or unsullied, though at least one dragon remaining (don’t recall whether the second one survived?). She’s basically got 1-2 dragons and no army. 

So Bran was totally useless and pointless other than giving Arya the dagger. Coulda warged into Ghost, a dragon, random bears, whatever to help out. Instead, wargs into a bird and does nothing. 

LOL.

Holy #### that was disappointing.

8 years of teasers about this unstoppable army for them to kill off a few tertiary characters who all get their beautiful moment to shine before succumbing to the dumbest Hollywood trope in existence.
What's that - when you kill the main villain instantly all the rest of the army died and became useless?

MoD has to lose a lot of power now. No more Dothraki horde or unsullied, though at least one dragon remaining (don’t recall whether the second one survived?). She’s basically got 1-2 dragons and no army. 
Everyone is forgetting about Yara and the Ironborn. :oldunsure:  

So far the wait for the season has been worth it.  Loved last weeks fireside scene and this weeks battle was outstanding. 
I thought last week's fireside scene was great too but this episode dilutes it. It was meant to portend some serious causalities and not a single character in that scene died. I saved last week's episode to watch that scene again after this battle but now won't bother.

After all the fan anticipation, I'd like to see them square off to fight -  only for someone to kill the Mountain with a cross-bow before the fight begins...
Speaking of which - another great Arya moment last night when she save the Hound with the arrow shot from the ramparts.

Oddly, I may have just gotten my answer now - as the ravens just took off in my re-watch. I kinda missed this the 1st time around, but they flew to the NK on his Ice/Undead Dragon.

I guess it was just a simple scouting operation.

Thus, I think you are very correct.
To what end though? Scouting for who? Not like he ever shares the info in a tactical helpful way? 

Why does dragon glass sometimes instantly disintegrate wights and other times not?
Trying to remember it killing WW... I thought they always died like that. The zombie/wights maybe die normally? Don't remember if we've seen a eight killed by dragonglass previously

Yeah, the lack of major deaths is really my only gripe. I'd classify jorah mormont  and theon as  major deaths but they didn't go far enough. Much like when bronn survived the wagon train battle (despite heavy foreshadowing that he would die with the gold spilling) having Sam, brianne, jamie and everyone in the crypt live was a bit absurd.

Doesn't hurt my enjoyment at all but it does cheapen last week's episode

KarmaPolice said:
I took the look as an honest love connection between them after them joking about him being the best man to her, probably due to their acceptance of impending death as they decide to go fight.  So maybe sort of suicide by white Walker? 
Yeah... That was the Romeo and Juliet part

Yeah, the lack of major deaths is really my only gripe. I'd classify jorah mormont  and theon as  major deaths but they didn't go far enough. Much like when bronn survived the wagon train battle (despite heavy foreshadowing that he would die with the gold spilling) having Sam, brianne, jamie and everyone in the crypt live was a bit absurd.

GRRM would have killed off several of the "main" characters by now...

There was a point where Brienne, Jamie, and I think Pod were up against the wall against a swarm of dead, and I figured that was the end of them - somehow they survived for a bit before Arya did that Arya-thing.

I’ll agree with that. It’s a little too Hollywood to have literally everyone die except the major folks. Jamie, Brienne and Pod were getting swarmed by hundreds of the dead and reanimated good guys. They’d be physically exhausted at that point in that gear. We lost medium level characters but not the top cast.

I didn’t really think about last week until you mentioned it and it does cheapen it a bit since I don’t think any of the key folks in it died. 

I still love the show and the episode but I’m shocked we lost none of the top billing. Jorah and Theon were the closest but even they were sidekicks so to speak. 

I get where you're coming from.

But that's not what the show has been about for 8 years. The WW were one huge plot device slowly moving South and driving the narrative when necessary, and now their usefulness is gone. But the show is about the living. 

That said, despite how enormous and epic it was, I too couldn't help feeling it was a bit anti-climactic. I think it suffered from being seen only hours after I saw Endgame--one of the most satisfying culminations of a decade's worth of build-up I could imagine. Tough to live up to. 
I thought the fight scenes were absolutely epic.  The lit swords racing cross the field...then them all going out.  It really was something.

I did get the feeling for a bit that I was watching the walking dead and was getting frustrated.    
I also felt the Night King's death was anti-climactic---I was hoping for an epic battle between him and Jon Snow maybe.   Not to be.

Sooooo cool when he re-raised everyone as Jon was running at him.  That was a "woah" moment.

Overall great for sure....Now we can get back to the battle of the houses.  

culdeus said:
Theory on Reddit that bran sent out the Ravens as time travellers.  Or something.  So past bran could see this happen. Sort of like when Biff got the Almanac
Which brings me to my number one critique of the whole show they just had the battle they’re only three episodes left and we have no real idea what Bran or the NK is all about

Which brings me to my number one critique of the whole show they just had the battle they’re only three episodes left and we have no real idea what Bran or the NK is all about
i dont understand why bran doesnt ever use his powers to warg into something to fight?  or anything other than ravens.  hes basically just a weird prophet that has powers but doesn't use them.  for a while i thought bran was the night king. 

i dont understand why bran doesnt ever use his powers to warg into something to fight?  or anything else for that matter.  hes basically just a weird prophet that has powers but doesn't use them.  for a while i thought bran was the night king. 
Because that would have supported the ambiguity of the whole thing.  Now there is no reason 

The episode was fun - but just like Gamora missing the funeral, I thought they left out a whole lot of explaining regarding Bran and NK.

I really have about zero understanding why that was even important.

I was ok with the darkness of the episode and thought it was cool when the Dothraki charges in with the fire.  But when the blizzard came, it was way too difficult to see anything. 

Users who are viewing this thread