What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

The coin wasn't just for passage to Bravos, it was to find the faceless men also and train with them, right. He is already a faceless man so all he would need to do is find regular passage to Bravos.

I suppose the Hound was not 100% either. If it was infected then it could have been a significant injury to hamper him and there was that comment Arya made about him being 'slower' because of it. No matter- it is still impressive to beat Loras (without any excuses) and a not fully healthy Jaime (with two hands) and the Hound.

I was actually expecting the Hound to kill her when they began to fight.
One of the things I love about this show is that I fully expected one of them to die once the fight began. Compare that to most shows where any random sword fight between two major characters would almost certainly be fought to a draw.

Like many, I was sad to see The Hound go. But hey, we were starting to like him so I guess he had to die. I just wonder if killing off every character we like (sure we "hated" Joffrey, but we loved to hate him) is going to come back to bite them as the uninteresting characters (Jon Snow, I'm looking at you) tend to be a lot more bulletproof.

One of the things I love about this show is that I fully expected one of them to die once the fight began. Compare that to most shows where any random sword fight between two major characters would almost certainly be fought to a draw.

Like many, I was sad to see The Hound go. But hey, we were starting to like him so I guess he had to die. I just wonder if killing off every character we like (sure we "hated" Joffrey, but we loved to hate him) is going to come back to bite them as the uninteresting characters (Jon Snow, I'm looking at you) tend to be a lot more bulletproof.
Do they really gave a choice who they kill off and don't? People would flip if in the book the Hound dies but HBO decides to let him live.

We didn't care for The Hound very much prior to this season, but here we are feeling bad for the guy. If there's anything to doubt about the show, it's definitely not it's ability to make us like/dislike a character.

Do they really gave a choice who they kill off and don't? People would flip if in the book the Hound dies but HBO decides to let him live.
lmfao why the #### would i care?

What books? :P

Seriously though, replace "they" with "he".

The Hound, Oberyn, Joffrey, Tywin. Four really interesting characters, gone, while Jon Snow and Bran keep bumbling around. Although I guess now that I think of it some less interesting characters got axed as well. Ygritte, Jojen, Lysa. Man a lot of people bit it this season. Crazy.

The books are the reason you are able to kill off popular characters. Can you imagine any originally written TV show's producers to allow the writers to kill off characters people loved?

Last edited by a moderator:
The books are the reason you are able to kill off popular characters. Can you imagine any originally written TV show's producers to allow the writers to kill off characters people loved?
huh? Lmao you think i say to myself "i cant believe they killed off Ned Stark, i loved him, im pissed. Oh wait that must be how it was written in the books. Im cool with it now."The reason people are ok with it is because there are SO many great characters and the story is filled with so much drama.

We didn't care for The Hound very much prior to this season, but here we are feeling bad for the guy. If there's anything to doubt about the show, it's definitely not it's ability to make us like/dislike a character.
Really? I thought the Hound showed redeemable qualities when he was protecting Sansa in earlier seasons.

huh? Lmao you think i say to myself "i cant believe they killed off Ned Stark, i loved him, im pissed. Oh wait that must be how it was written in the books. Im cool with it now."The reason people are ok with it is because there are SO many great characters and the story is filled with so much drama.
My comment has nothing to do with the audience and everything to do with how producers think about TV series

I just read an article with the show runners that mentioned that they kill people off more so than the books do. :shrug:

Kill everyone.
If the show runs the planned 3 more seasons, I have to imagine they will. Who would be the most shocking at this point?
dany?

most assume the end game is to get her and her dragons back to westeros.
Though I agree, her death would be far be the most shocking at this point- don't you think that her coming back to the throne is exactly the kind of obvious writing that the original author actually writes against?

Kill everyone.
If the show runs the planned 3 more seasons, I have to imagine they will. Who would be the most shocking at this point?
now that I think about it, they really are all expendable. half way through season 1 I would have said Ned Stark and look how that turned out...
Dany, Jon and Arrya seem like the most likely to survive. But why? Why not axe them? The show has proven Wire-like in that it isn't about a certain character(a) or a certain story line, but it's about a place and it's about the inevitable doom of all those trapped in that place. Winter is Coming. We always knew that wasn't just literal, but I think we are just starting understand how deep that runs and how nobody escapes it.

The death that would surprise me the most is probably Sam. I know he's a side character, but I'm thoroughly convinced that him and his wilding family are bullet proof.

Wyld Stallyns said:
The death that would surprise me the most is probably Sam. I know he's a side character, but I'm thoroughly convinced that him and his wilding family are bullet proof.
Prediction: Stannis cuts Sams **** off for breaking his vows.

The book trolls are in their thread arguing about which fictional character would win a sword fight.

Don't ever let them tell you that they are better than you.
Yeah, you'd never find something like that in this thread.

Unless you scrolled to the top of the page anyway.

Something else nobody has brought up: what's with the Mountain? At first the way the guy was talking, I thought it was going to be a repeat of what happened to Dany's husband. But maybe there's something else going on. "He'll be changed." What does that mean?
Diapers.

I'm gonna read the first 3 books now. I think I'm safe to do so at this point and not risk too many spoilers for any future seasons.

godspeed

I'm gonna read the first 3 books now. I think I'm safe to do so at this point and not risk too many spoilers for any future seasons.

godspeed
Don't read all of book 3. Don't read the last chapter.

* The epilogue that is......

Actually it wouldnt surprise me (and in face scares me) that TV producers will turn to this method so they can keep actors costs low and give them less creative autonomy in their performances. Then again when they already know they are going to be offed you can get a Oberyn like performance.

Here's something that's been bothering me since I saw the last episode. The fight between The Hound and Brienne seemed extremely forced and contrived, unlike nearly everything else that has happened in this series, There didn't seem to be any point to it other than to kill off The Hound and get Arya to go to Bravos.

Here's something that's been bothering me since I saw the last episode. The fight between The Hound and Brienne seemed extremely forced and contrived, unlike nearly everything else that has happened in this series, There didn't seem to be any point to it other than to kill off The Hound and get Arya to go to Bravos.
They set this up a few episodes earlier when The Hound found out the Lannisters put a bounty on his head. He noticed Brienne's sword was made with Lannister gold and made the fair assumption she was there to collect the bounty.

The Hound knew there was a price on his head. He was also trying to get Arya somewhere where someone might remunerate him for returning her. Brienne in her Lannister get up was a threat to him either way and he hasn't exactly been the king of nuanced negotiation when he feels threatened.

Agree that the fight scene itself was probably insignificant, but it set up the conversation between Arya and the Hound that showed Arya's conviction for whatever actions she will take in the upcoming season imo. She made a decision to let him die slowly rather than mercy killing him and she took the gold or whatever currency he stole from the old man that they stayed with a few episodes back. Innocence completely lost. In the conversation we are also reminded that the Hound was on Arya's list of people she wants to see dead.

Those seem like pretty good reasons.

godspeed
I started the first book this weekend as well, through 250 pages or so.
So...what are your impressions of the book so far? Has it fleshed out any particular story line for you? (Granted, the first 250 pages probably don't vary much from the first five episodes of the first season.)

Users who are viewing this thread