What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aaron Hernandez current dynasty value (2 Viewers)

I think people are looking at the back end of this with rose colored glasses. We would have no idea if Hernandez would be focused on football, we don't know what team he would be on, and we don't know hoe welcome he would be around the league *** IF *** he were a participant in a homicide.

Let's suppose he gets suspended for this year, misses half of next year still suspended while on trial, and ends up serving 2 and a half years in jail. That's 4 missed seasons (in this scenario). How valuable would he be coming back 5 seasons from now?

PatsWillWin said:
In a non-TE required, non-PPR league (i.e. Hernandez is basically a low-ceiling WR2), I've been offered a 2015 2nd round pick. I'm strongly considering it.
WHy not just wait till 2015 when there is a rather high likelyhood Hernandez will be back playing. He will be worth one hell of a lot more than that 2nd rounder in 2015.

I dont see trading hernandez for something that MIGHT help 2 years down the road when you can just wait out his situation. Even if he is found guilty I wouldnt trade him for a 2015 2nd, because even a year of prison shouldnt keep him from playing in 2015
If Hernandez goes to prison for any extended amount of time, I highly doubt he will be back with the Patriots. How valuable would he be on another team?
He is a good player, so he WOULD be valuable on another team. Key word in what you said though is "if". "if he goes to prison for a long long time then yes, that 2nd will look good. "If" he is back playing by the 2014 or even 2015 season, it looks like a horrid trade.

A 2nd rounder in 2015 is no where valuable enough for me to give up what Hernandez can still be given no convictions of anything carrying a very long prison sentence.
Because roster spots are valuable. This is a non-TE required league, Hernandez is basically a borderline WR2 with no upside. I am in no way interested in holding on to him for a prison sentence + suspension, regardless of how long each of them are.

I see that ghostguy123 hasn't given up the ghost quite yet.

FWIW, here's my current most likely scenario:

Hernandez is arrested and found guilty on the multiple counts of Obstruction of Justice.

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]On the charge of Accessory to Murder he's found not guilty after the jury can't reach a unanimous guilty verdict.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]Hernandez gets a cumulative 10 year prison term, paroles out in about four. He faces massive legal bills, as well as money owed from losing civil lawsuit filed by victim's family. While on parole, he goes back to his gang roots and is soon arrested for dealing drugs. Ends up back in prison for much longer, and we never really hear from him again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]Oh yes, ghostglory123 finally throws in the towel sometime in year 3 of this saga.[/SIZE]

PatsWillWin said:
In a non-TE required, non-PPR league (i.e. Hernandez is basically a low-ceiling WR2), I've been offered a 2015 2nd round pick. I'm strongly considering it.
WHy not just wait till 2015 when there is a rather high likelyhood Hernandez will be back playing. He will be worth one hell of a lot more than that 2nd rounder in 2015.

I dont see trading hernandez for something that MIGHT help 2 years down the road when you can just wait out his situation. Even if he is found guilty I wouldnt trade him for a 2015 2nd, because even a year of prison shouldnt keep him from playing in 2015
If Hernandez goes to prison for any extended amount of time, I highly doubt he will be back with the Patriots. How valuable would he be on another team?
He is a good player, so he WOULD be valuable on another team. Key word in what you said though is "if". "if he goes to prison for a long long time then yes, that 2nd will look good. "If" he is back playing by the 2014 or even 2015 season, it looks like a horrid trade.

A 2nd rounder in 2015 is no where valuable enough for me to give up what Hernandez can still be given no convictions of anything carrying a very long prison sentence.
Because roster spots are valuable. This is a non-TE required league, Hernandez is basically a borderline WR2 with no upside. I am in no way interested in holding on to him for a prison sentence + suspension, regardless of how long each of them are.
Clearly the type of league factors in. A debate I dont care to get into

Bruce Hammond said:
madd futher said:
kOOk said:
I'm buying low in all formats bro.
thanks for the information bro
Pretty sure kOOk is :fishing: and should be ignored.

I said it way upthread but I'll say it again. Giving up anything you value for Hernandez is a mistake. If you even think you might use a player in a lineup, don't trade him. I'm seeing Fleener plus a pick, etc., given for Hernandez and I think that's madness. Those of you giving up decent value for him really don't get it, but in time you will: Hernandez is worth just about zero. The obstruction charge is just the tip of the iceberg. He is NOT getting off lightly on this. He is a criminal, going away for awhile, and he is most likely done in the NFL -- permanently. You aren't being a shark buying low, you are giving players away for nothing. Stop making stupid trades to obtain him!!!!!
I gave Fleener straight up a few days ago for Hernandez. No extra pick or player. Just Fleener. The news was fresh, the Hernandez owner instantly panicked, and Fleener was my 5th TE in a start 1 TE league. It was a good risk at that point.

That being said, today I probably wouldn't make the same deal even though I can afford to. I knew the situation would be fluid, and has been moving in the opposite direction I was hoping for. There is enough information now that would suggest not pursuing Hernandez in a trade unless it is literally for peanuts. Like a 5th rounder or Chris Harper type project player.

I will say, despite how bad this looks for Hernandez, we still have no idea what the motive was, how it went down, or who the actual murderer is. With so many details still unknown, you can't say that Hernandez will never play again at this point. However, I think it's wise to assume he won't play until at least 2014 or beyond. I still think he is talented enough to be a top TE no matter what team he is on or who his QB is. So if he is dropped, I'm picking him up and holding him. If he is available for almost nothing, I'm still buying. Otherwise, I'm out.

Hernandez is arrested and found guilty on the multiple counts of Obstruction of Justice.

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]On the charge of Accessory to Murder he's found not guilty after the jury can't reach a unanimous guilty verdict.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]Hernandez gets a cumulative 10 year prison term, paroles out in about four. He faces massive legal bills, as well as money owed from losing civil lawsuit filed by victim's family. While on parole, he goes back to his gang roots and is soon arrested for dealing drugs. Ends up back in prison for much longer, and we never really hear from him again.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.44444465637207px]Oh yes, ghostglory123 finally throws in the towel sometime in year 3 of this saga.[/SIZE]
I view taking a 2015 2nd as throwing in the towel. So waiting it out is just fine by me. It's been like 5 damn days. There is like 2-3 months before I even need to make any roster decisions in my leagues. There is NOTHING i care to have on waivers in those two leagues where I have him.

So yeah, trading him NOW for peanuts is just something I dont care to do.

Even if someone decided to be nice and just GIVE me a 2015 2nd out of the kindness of their heart I would barely care, even if it was a 2nd THIS year I wouldnt jump for joy over it. Trading Hernandez to get it??? Nah

ConnSKINS26 said:
menobrown said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
JustinHawkins said:
Just traded Kelce for Hernandez in a 12 team ppr dynasty where I also have V.Davis and Housler
I'm having a hard time moving Hernandez for Daniels right now, but I'd never move Kelce for him, potential is sky high there.
I'd move Daniels for him in a heartbeat. What are you really risking? An injury prone aging TE who might very well be on his last year with the Texans? I'm in the middle of a startup right now that is 1.5 TE PPR and I think OD went in the 12th or 13th round and I'd have rather picked 4-5 other TE's who are still left on the board over him.

ETA-I read your post wrong, you are giving up Hernandez for Daniels and now I see have already done it. I'd never have done that myself.
For someone who likes to win, a mid/low-end TE1 (when healthy) is a pretty decent get. Its miles better than the future 2nds and 3rds people are taking, and lower-ceiling TE swaps being offered.

At least, that's my take on it. Obviously, as I made the deal. But you aren't throwing Hernandez away for this price, whereas someone who doesn't already have a stud TE, or another TE1 who moves Daniels to take the risk on Hernandez might be throwing away a nice piece that can keep you competitive.
LOL @ "For someone who likes to win". You don't need to slam him and then try to hump him.

ConnSKINS26 said:
menobrown said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
JustinHawkins said:
Just traded Kelce for Hernandez in a 12 team ppr dynasty where I also have V.Davis and Housler
I'm having a hard time moving Hernandez for Daniels right now, but I'd never move Kelce for him, potential is sky high there.
I'd move Daniels for him in a heartbeat. What are you really risking? An injury prone aging TE who might very well be on his last year with the Texans? I'm in the middle of a startup right now that is 1.5 TE PPR and I think OD went in the 12th or 13th round and I'd have rather picked 4-5 other TE's who are still left on the board over him.

ETA-I read your post wrong, you are giving up Hernandez for Daniels and now I see have already done it. I'd never have done that myself.
For someone who likes to win, a mid/low-end TE1 (when healthy) is a pretty decent get. Its miles better than the future 2nds and 3rds people are taking, and lower-ceiling TE swaps being offered.

At least, that's my take on it. Obviously, as I made the deal. But you aren't throwing Hernandez away for this price, whereas someone who doesn't already have a stud TE, or another TE1 who moves Daniels to take the risk on Hernandez might be throwing away a nice piece that can keep you competitive.
LOL @ "For someone who likes to win". You don't need to slam him and then try to hump him.
Huh?

ConnSKINS26 said:
menobrown said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
JustinHawkins said:

Huh?
Who exactly doesn't like to win?

ConnSKINS26 said:
menobrown said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
JustinHawkins said:

For someone who likes to win, a mid/low-end TE1 (when healthy) is a pretty decent get. Its miles better than the future 2nds and 3rds people are taking, and lower-ceiling TE swaps being offered.At least, that's my take on it. Obviously, as I made the deal. But you aren't throwing Hernandez away for this price, whereas someone who doesn't already have a stud TE, or another TE1 who moves Daniels to take the risk on Hernandez might be throwing away a nice piece that can keep you competitive.
Huh?
Who exactly doesn't like to win?
No idea. Not me, and that's who I was describing in that post. I guess I could have just as easily said "I like to win, so I value Owen Daniels' likely contribution to my roster over Hernandez' unlikely contribution". I didn't really foresee that it would be taken as an insult to those who would value Hernandez right now more than Daniels. My bad.

My "huh?" was more wondering what he meant by the second sentence.

A murder in Florida that he was linked to.. Allegations he shot a guy in February, A "mystery" handgun in May... another murder in June... And some people compare this to an ACL? One or two years?

In 2007, Hernandez was one of four Gators interviewed by police after the shooting of two men, one fatally, in Gainesville, Fla., the night after the Gators lost to Auburn, 20-17. He was never charged with any crime.

Before the NFL draft in 2010, Hernandez admitted to NFL teams that he had failed numerous drug tests, and concern among NFL personnel about Hernandez's potential connection to people with gang ties led him to drop to the fourth round, reports Sports Illustrated.

More recently, on May 18, police found a handgun apparently discarded under a vehicle near where Hernandez was accosted by a New York Jets fan at 2:26 a.m. in Providence, R.I. Police were never able to identify whose gun it was or how it got there, according to the Sports Illustrated report.

Then last week, a civil lawsuit against Hernandez was filed, alleging that Hernandez shot a man, Alexander Bradley, in south Florida in February, injuring Bradley's arm and causing him to lose an eye. "Hernandez shot him," said Bradley's lawyer, David Jaroslawicz, in a phone interview with Sports Illustrated. "It's either a negligence case or a deliberate shooting. We'll see if Hernandez wants to come in and raise his right hand and tell us what happened."

I view taking a 2015 2nd as throwing in the towel. So waiting it out is just fine by me. It's been like 5 damn days. There is like 2-3 months before I even need to make any roster decisions in my leagues. There is NOTHING i care to have on waivers in those two leagues where I have him.

So yeah, trading him NOW for peanuts is just something I dont care to do.

Even if someone decided to be nice and just GIVE me a 2015 2nd out of the kindness of their heart I would barely care, even if it was a 2nd THIS year I wouldnt jump for joy over it. Trading Hernandez to get it??? Nah
The odds are high that a couple weeks from now you may be lucky to get a 2nd for him.

With all of his baggage I don't think he ever sees an NFL field again even if he avoids jail team. I certainly wouldn't want him on the team I root for.

I for one am trying to unload Hernandez in every league I'm unfortunate enough to own him. One of the trades was already mentioned on this thread.

This morning I traded Ahern for Pitta straight up in a league I won last year. Very pleased with that one too.

The odds are high that a couple weeks from now you may be lucky to get a 2nd for him.

With all of his baggage I don't think he ever sees an NFL field again even if he avoids jail team. I certainly wouldn't want him on the team I root for.
A chance I am more than happy to take.

And I wont want to root for the guy either, but if he is back playing with no further suspension or jail looming, he can be traded for a much heavier price.

And in no way shape or form do I think he is DONE with football if he doesnt go to jail. Now THAT is insane. Goodell is a jerk about this kinda stuff, but he isnt going to ban him forever, and I guarantee you he will find a spot on a team as a starting TE

kOOk said:
I'm buying low in all formats bro.
I don't think it's "buying low" when there's a good chance his value will never again be higher than right now.
It's risk vs. reward. It's a lottery ticket with a potential very high payoff.

A 2nd rounder has some value, but cmon, the vast majority of them dont amount to much. If hernandez does not go to prison and missed a year or even two, his value will be 10x that 2nd rounder, or more.

Given what I see happen time and time again with people who can afford top notch lawyers, easily a risk I am willing to take.

And I wont want to root for the guy either, but if he is back playing with no further suspension or jail looming, he can be traded for a much heavier price.

And in no way shape or form do I think he is DONE with football if he doesnt go to jail. Now THAT is insane. Goodell is a jerk about this kinda stuff, but he isnt going to ban him forever, and I guarantee you he will find a spot on a team as a starting TE
The league won't ban him permanently but a team would have to be stupid to take on Hernandez with all of his baggage.

I haven't finished reading all the way through the thread (I'm about halfway through), but I thought I'd weigh in on this. I just updated my player comment on Aaron Hernandez to the following:

It should be noted that this high ranking for Aaron Hernandez already accounts for his recent legal troubles. Obviously this situation is extremely worrying, but I see immediate parallels to Ray Lewis' legal woes back in 2000. Lewis accepted a plea bargain, facing misdemeanor obstruction charges in exchange for his testimony against two of his companions. He did not miss a single game. Obviously today's NFL is a different beast, and Roger Goodell has been quick to make an example of players who have embarrassed the league, so I think Hernandez's chances of a suspension are much higher than Lewis' were under Tagliabue. Still, in recent years, Goodell has overreached on suspensions and been forced to backtrack, and recent cases have shown him slower to discipline than he once was. As an example, I present Kenny Britt, who faces no league discipline after refusing to cooperate with a police investigation in January (his 9th run-in with law enforcement since joining the league). As another example, I present Ben Roethlisberger, who in 2010 was accused of sexual assault for the second time in his career. Roger Goodell responded by suspending Roethlisberger for the first six games of the 2010 season, a suspension that was later reduced to four games after Roethlisberger met certain conditions. With all currently available information, I anticipate Hernandez also accepting a plea deal in exchange for testimony. I expect Goodell to discipline Hernandez similarly to how he handled the Ben Roethlisberger accusations in 2010, with a moderate-length suspension which can be reduced through good behavior. I expect Hernandez to be eligible to play twelve games this season, and I think he'll be enough of a difference-maker when he's on the field to continue to justify this high ranking.

Obviously this situation is very fluid, and new information could surface at any time that would cause me to alter these expectations. I promise I will be closely monitoring the situation and will be quick to react as warranted to further news. For now, though, I am hesitant to react too harshly to this situation until evidence arises linking Hernandez directly to the crime. If nothing incriminating comes forward, I believe that Hernandez will prove to be a massive fantasy steal as so many owners with low risk tolerances remove him from their boards entirely. There may be very good reason to question his character, but as long as he is on the field, there is no reason to question his production.

I'm trying really hard not to be too reactionary to this. As I mention in the comment, Ray Lewis was possibly involved in a murder and pled guilty to obstruction. He never missed a game. Ben Roethlisberger has twice been accused of sexual assault. He got a 4-game suspension out of it. Kenny Britt refused to cooperate with a police investigation after one of his friends stabbed someone, and has faced no discipline. With the information I have available right now, I'm betting that Hernandez did not kill the man, but that he knows who did. I am betting that Hernandez will eventually plead out for his testimony, and he will face a noticeable but not season-ending suspension for his role in the incident. I've already updated my redraft rankings to reflect these beliefs, and later tonight I'll update him in my dynasty rankings, too. It's possible that I've got my head in the sand about him, but it's not because I'm biased; in fact, I have never owned Hernandez in any fantasy league. I just think these early reactions are too knee-jerk.

With that said, this situation is freaking insane, and there's a huge chance I'm way off the mark and will look really silly in a couple of weeks. Even a minor news update at this point could break the dam and send Hernandez plummeting. I just haven't reached a point where I'm willing to do that yet.

I've offered Jonathan Stewart for Hernandez and a late 2013 first in one league, even though I'm already stacked at TE (Gronk, Olsen, Pitta). I've made inquiries in another, but the Hernandez owner has made it clear that he won't be considering any offers until after the news cycle has finished playing out.

Kenny Britt refused to cooperate with a police investigation after one of his friends stabbed someone, and has faced no discipline.
His friend was the one who got stabbed.

The league won't ban him permanently but a team would have to be stupid to take on Hernandez with all of his baggage.
I haven't finished reading all the way through the thread (I'm about halfway through), but I thought I'd weigh in on this. I just updated my player comment on Aaron Hernandez to the following:

It should be noted that this high ranking for Aaron Hernandez already accounts for his recent legal troubles. Obviously this situation is extremely worrying, but I see immediate parallels to Ray Lewis' legal woes back in 2000. Lewis accepted a plea bargain, facing misdemeanor obstruction charges in exchange for his testimony against two of his companions. He did not miss a single game. Obviously today's NFL is a different beast, and Roger Goodell has been quick to make an example of players who have embarrassed the league, so I think Hernandez's chances of a suspension are much higher than Lewis' were under Tagliabue. Still, in recent years, Goodell has overreached on suspensions and been forced to backtrack, and recent cases have shown him slower to discipline than he once was. As an example, I present Kenny Britt, who faces no league discipline after refusing to cooperate with a police investigation in January (his 9th run-in with law enforcement since joining the league). As another example, I present Ben Roethlisberger, who in 2010 was accused of sexual assault for the second time in his career. Roger Goodell responded by suspending Roethlisberger for the first six games of the 2010 season, a suspension that was later reduced to four games after Roethlisberger met certain conditions. With all currently available information, I anticipate Hernandez also accepting a plea deal in exchange for testimony. I expect Goodell to discipline Hernandez similarly to how he handled the Ben Roethlisberger accusations in 2010, with a moderate-length suspension which can be reduced through good behavior. I expect Hernandez to be eligible to play twelve games this season, and I think he'll be enough of a difference-maker when he's on the field to continue to justify this high ranking.

Obviously this situation is very fluid, and new information could surface at any time that would cause me to alter these expectations. I promise I will be closely monitoring the situation and will be quick to react as warranted to further news. For now, though, I am hesitant to react too harshly to this situation until evidence arises linking Hernandez directly to the crime. If nothing incriminating comes forward, I believe that Hernandez will prove to be a massive fantasy steal as so many owners with low risk tolerances remove him from their boards entirely. There may be very good reason to question his character, but as long as he is on the field, there is no reason to question his production.

I'm trying really hard not to be too reactionary to this. As I mention in the comment, Ray Lewis was possibly involved in a murder and pled guilty to obstruction. He never missed a game. Ben Roethlisberger has twice been accused of sexual assault. He got a 4-game suspension out of it. Kenny Britt refused to cooperate with a police investigation after one of his friends stabbed someone, and has faced no discipline. With the information I have available right now, I'm betting that Hernandez did not kill the man, but that he knows who did. I am betting that Hernandez will eventually plead out for his testimony, and he will face a noticeable but not season-ending suspension for his role in the incident. I've already updated my redraft rankings to reflect these beliefs, and later tonight I'll update him in my dynasty rankings, too. It's possible that I've got my head in the sand about him, but it's not because I'm biased; in fact, I have never owned Hernandez in any fantasy league. I just think these early reactions are too knee-jerk.

With that said, this situation is freaking insane, and there's a huge chance I'm way off the mark and will look really silly in a couple of weeks. Even a minor news update at this point could break the dam and send Hernandez plummeting. I just haven't reached a point where I'm willing to do that yet.

I've offered Jonathan Stewart for Hernandez and a late 2013 first in one league, even though I'm already stacked at TE (Gronk, Olsen, Pitta). I've made inquiries in another, but the Hernandez owner has made it clear that he won't be considering any offers until after the news cycle has finished playing out.
Yes, you're way off the mark.

How bout a Cliff Notes version of what you would recommend? Buy? Sell? Hold? Going rate if you are buying? If selling, the least you would take?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are people so quick to assume that yf he goes to prison for an extended period of time he can just come back and pick up where he left off? Because Vick did it? That is a bold assumption IMO. There is just as good a chance he gets totally out of shape and never has an impact.
Vick, Ricky Williams, Plaxico Burress. On defense, Bertrand Berry was out of the league for a couple of years. Hell, Brian Banks has been in prison since he was 18 and he's still drawing some interest around the league.

If a player in his early-to-mid 20s is motivated and really wants to get back into the NFL, history shows that it's achievable.

Why are people so quick to assume that yf he goes to prison for an extended period of time he can just come back and pick up where he left off? Because Vick did it? That is a bold assumption IMO. There is just as good a chance he gets totally out of shape and never has an impact.
Vick, Ricky Williams, Plaxico Burress. On defense, Bertrand Berry was out of the league for a couple of years. Hell, Brian Banks has been in prison since he was 18 and he's still drawing some interest around the league.

If a player in his early-to-mid 20s is motivated and really wants to get back into the NFL, history shows that it's achievable.
I can't believe the denial going on about this. Hernandez was there when a man was executed in cold blood and then went home and did everything in his power to cover it up. I don't see the parallels to guys who killed dogs, smoked weed, and accidently discharged a gun in a club, etc.

Brian Banks' accuser admitted that she made up the story and he was released from prison.

How bout a Cliff Notes version of what you would recommend? Buy? Sell? Hold? Going rate if you are buying? If selling, the least you would take?
Buy. At the moment, I'd be willing to trade Gonzo for him in a heartbeat. I'd also trade Pitta, Olsen, or Finley for him (as well as anybody I don't currently have valued as a dynasty TE1). Cross-positional value is harder, but I'd give up a mid-range QB2 for him (say, Flacco/Vick/Roethlisberger/Eli). At wide receiver, I think I'd start getting interested once we got into the guys I have ranked as WR3s (Britt or Shorts, who have risks of their own, or a Desean Jackson or Torry Smith). At runningback, you're looking at a Frank Gore or Steven Jackson (provided I wasn't a contender or I could handle their loss), or one of the quality backup/handcuffs (Lattimore or Ingram, but probably not Pierce or Tate). I'd give a late first for him in 2013, but would not trade a 2014 first for him. Obviously I'd try to get him for much less first, these are just examples of the highest I'd be willing to go.

If I owned him, I would not sell, especially after reading what he's going for in this thread. His value has more room to go up from here than it does to go down from here. I recognize that there's a non-trivial possibility that he becomes literally completely worthless in a week or two, but the value drop from what he's fetching right now to "absolutely nothing" is small enough that I'd be willing to chance it and wait for a rebound.

After reading this thread, I'm definitely feeling less comfortable with him, especially with Yudkin weighing in so strongly in the negative. He'll be seeing another drop in my redraft rankings tonight, although I'm still not willing to bury him. I really love risky gambles in fantasy football, and prize upside over all else, so I'm always probably going to be one of the highest staffers on him, but I think my initial takeaway was too rosy.

I can't believe the denial going on about this. Hernandez was there when a man was executed in cold blood and then went home and did everything in his power to cover it up. I don't see the parallels to guys who killed dogs, smoked weed, and accidently discharged a gun in a club, etc.

Brian Banks' accuser admitted that she made up the story and he was released from prison.
Oj Simpson...............seriously what more do you need to be told on top of the name OJ SIMPSON to realize there is a very realistic chance he does not go to prison.

We don't know Hernandez was there. We know a car he rented was there, but he rented three cars- obviously he never intended to drive all of them. And even if Hernandez was there, what matters is what the police can prove. Ben Roethlisberger probably committed sexual assault, but the police couldn't prove it, and so he was never charged with it. We've seen celebrity entourages take the fall for guilty parties before, and we've seen seemingly fool-proof cases fall apart (hello, O.J.).

Brian Banks is a remarkable human being and an inspiration to us all. The fact that he was unjustly put through hell and yet still managed to come through the other side with a positive attitude is one of the most compelling testaments to the potential of humanity that I have ever seen. He is a hero. At the very best, Hernandez is a thug who has equipped and enabled the scum of the earth to perpetrate atrocities. At the worst, he is Joseph Conrad's Kurtz, an amoral monster and the human manifestation of unchecked evil. Comparing Hernandez to Brian Banks in terms of the quality of their integrity or the strength of their character would be deplorable. Fortunately for Hernandez, physical skill and athletic talent remains uncorrelated to integrity or character, and the example of Brian Banks can therefore be illustrative. Banks went to jail at age 18, never played football at a high level of competition, never had a chance to benefit from a quality strength and conditioning program, and yet was still able to get an NFL tryout upon his release, and by all accounts had physical ability and talent level comparable to an undrafted rookie free agent. This is absolutely remarkable. Brian Banks, along with the other players I mentioned, demonstrate that it is possible for a young man to spend several years away from the league and still return to it with enough athleticism and skill to compete at an NFL level. If Hernandez goes away to prison, the fact that he's a substantially worse human being than Brian Banks does not mean he will not be able to compete as well as Brian Banks upon his release.

Oj Simpson...............seriously what more do you need to be told on top of the name OJ SIMPSON to realize there is a very realistic chance he does not go to prison.
Like I've said, I don't think it matters one bit whether he is convicted. OJ would never have played again either had he been 23.

I guess this is my view. I own him in two leagues, and if someone offered me a projected late 2014 1st I would say no. A projected high 2014 1st, I might actually do it.

If I am buying (which in the leagues i do not own him the owners are NOT selling), I am HAPPY AS HELL to get him at some 2nd round price.

I have drafted more than enough worthless duds with 2nd round picks, and the only thing separating Hernandez from being a stud again is getting off?? I think there is a higher probability that he does not go to prison than the chances of a 2nd rounder being a "hit". Much higher.

And if no prison or long term jail or multi year suspension, we already know he can play at a high level.

We don't know Hernandez was there. We know a car he rented was there, but he rented three cars- obviously he never intended to drive all of them. And even if Hernandez was there, what matters is what the police can prove. Ben Roethlisberger probably committed sexual assault, but the police couldn't prove it, and so he was never charged with it. We've seen celebrity entourages take the fall for guilty parties before, and we've seen seemingly fool-proof cases fall apart (hello, O.J.).

Brian Banks is a remarkable human being and an inspiration to us all. The fact that he was unjustly put through hell and yet still managed to come through the other side with a positive attitude is one of the most compelling testaments to the potential of humanity that I have ever seen. He is a hero. At the very best, Hernandez is a thug who has equipped and enabled the scum of the earth to perpetrate atrocities. At the worst, he is Joseph Conrad's Kurtz, an amoral monster and the human manifestation of unchecked evil. Comparing Hernandez to Brian Banks in terms of the quality of their integrity or the strength of their character would be deplorable. Fortunately for Hernandez, physical skill and athletic talent remains uncorrelated to integrity or character, and the example of Brian Banks can therefore be illustrative. Banks went to jail at age 18, never played football at a high level of competition, never had a chance to benefit from a quality strength and conditioning program, and yet was still able to get an NFL tryout upon his release, and by all accounts had physical ability and talent level comparable to an undrafted rookie free agent. This is absolutely remarkable. Brian Banks, along with the other players I mentioned, demonstrate that it is possible for a young man to spend several years away from the league and still return to it with enough athleticism and skill to compete at an NFL level. If Hernandez goes away to prison, the fact that he's a substantially worse human being than Brian Banks does not mean he will not be able to compete as well as Brian Banks upon his release.
frankly, it doesnt matter what we know, or even what the police and investigators and the courts know. People with money get off many times when they should not. Am I the only one that knows this?? Seriously??

frankly, it doesnt matter what we know, or even what the police and investigators and the courts know. People with money get off many times when they should not. Am I the only one that knows this?? Seriously??
How convinced are you the Patriots don't cut him? Is he a stud regardless of the team he's on?

How convinced are you the Patriots don't cut him? Is he a stud regardless of the team he's on?
No, but there are a lot of teams out there where he would be a stud or close to it. I am not convinced that the Pats wont cut him. In fact I think they will, or likely will.

He could end up a LOT of places and still be a top 4-5 dynasty TE in a year or two.

Tom Curran wrote this article today:http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/curran-hernandez-couldnt-walk-walk , the big takeaway from the article being this comment:

Aaron Hernandez has made the Patriots look like fools. If he plays another down for this team, I’ll be stunned no matter how the Odin Lloyd murder investigation turns out.

I'll add I feel exactly the same way and I feel 100% in agreemeent with some of the OJ comp. Meaning if he gets off but the public believes he's guilty he'll never play another down again, not for anyone. And yes I believe if OJ's case had happened when he was 23 he'd never play in the NFL again, despite him getting off.

Now all of that being said I get where Ghostguy is coming from regarding not panicking on trading Hernandez and he's not alone. Yesterday morning I let a guy know in one of my leagues I'd send him my 2014#1 for Hernandez, a pick that I think would be in the back of the first round. He replied that he would think about and yes I did tell him the offer may not be there later. So you have some people, like me, williing to give up a #1 and some people, like his current owner, unwilling so far to move him for his #1.

Way I see if I made the trade these are how I would rate the possible outcomes and what it means to me:

1. He gets off, plays at anytime in 2013. End result- Epic trade win.Gamechanger.

2. He misses 2013, returns in 2014 with NE. End result- Huge win.

3. He missed 2013, returns in 2014 with another team- End result: Win but how big would remain TBD.(BTW-this is what I view as the most likely of my positive trade returns)

4. He's out 2013 and 2014 or longer- End result: I just gave up a first rounder for nothing.

Out of those options I think #4 is not only most likely but I'd bet it equal money against the field and I'd still trade what I view is a late 2014#1.

Like I've said, I don't think it matters one bit whether he is convicted. OJ would never have played again either had he been 23.
Ummmm, total BS horsecrap there, sorry.
How old are you? Obviously not old enough to remember the trial and the public reaction to it or you never would make a comment like this and expect to be taken seriously.
Oh, I remember it.

I am also reasonable enough to not say he for sure wouldnt play. Or for sure would play.

Apparently you aren't aware of the medias LOVE for redemption stories.

I also remember Ray Ray and his hall of fame career after murder charges.

I am also willing to bet more people probably hated Vick after what he did than people will hate Hernandez. If not, it's super super close.

If my only worry is whether or not Hernandez can find a decent team to play for if he sees no jail time and only gets a half year or year suspension................i am BUYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately there is a very realistic chance he is done forever, which is why I am still buying but at a lower. Price

I am also willing to bet more people probably hated Vick after what he did than people will hate Hernandez. If not, it's super super close.

If my only worry is whether or not Hernandez can find a decent team to play for if he sees no jail time and only gets a half year or year suspension................i am BUYING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately there is a very realistic chance he is done forever.
If true, that's just a sad commentary on humanity.

Can't disagree. BUt honestly, many people I know get all choked up when they hear about animals being tortured, more than they do when they hear people being tortured.

People surel ove their animals.

Ummmm, total BS horsecrap there, sorry.
How old are you? Obviously not old enough to remember the trial and the public reaction to it or you never would make a comment like this and expect to be taken seriously.
Oh, I remember it.

I am also reasonable enough to not say he for sure wouldnt play. Or for sure would play.

Apparently you aren't aware of the medias LOVE for redemption stories.

I also remember Ray Ray and his hall of fame career after murder charges.
Ray Ray was what, a decade ago, not saying you don't remember that.

But the OJ trial was over 20 years ago roughly (I had a job from 1991-1994 and people there at work talked about it constantly at lunch break). Your comments from other threads have a flavor of someone not old enough to have really followed and comprehended the trial and the public outrage as an adult. Answer the question, how old are you now?

I've updated my Footballguys dynasty rankings, and I have Hernandez at TE30. I was tempted to remove him altogether, but i'll wait on that to see just how long he is away. Six other staffers have updated rankings on 6/19 or after (the day the news broke), and they all have him between TE3 and TE10.

My TE30 ranking assumes:

1) He does not play in 2013.

2) He most likely does not play in 2014.

3) There is a better than 50-50 chance he goes to prison for multiple years, convicted on a charge relating to murder (ie, conspiracy, accessory, murder itself -- not just obstruction).

4) He may receive a lifetime ban from the NFL.

5) If he does return to the NFL at some point, it will not be as a Patriot with Brady throwing him the ball.

As the picture becomes clearer in one direction or another I'll adjust, either by moving him back up some if I've over-reacted or by removing him completely if some of the more dire negative possibilities become closer to fact. At this point though, I'd not recommend investing in him as more than an afterthought end-of-bench guy, because I view the negative outcomes as more likely than him regaining fantasy relevance.

In any case, he'll never again be on any of my own rosters.

But the OJ trial was over 20 years ago roughly (I had a job from 1991-1994 and people at work talked about it constantly at lunch break). Your comments from other threads have a flavor of someone not old enough to have really followed and comprehend that trial and the public outrage as an adult. Answer the question, how old are you now?
The public outrage was pretty racially motivated. Somethinig slightly less prevalent 20 years later.

Are you not old enough to remember the main reasons WHY there was such public outrage? Or just not aware.

This case is very different than the OJ case. One major parallel though, anyone and everyone knew OJ did it, even the evidence was iron clad. And he got off.

But the OJ trial was over 20 years ago roughly (I had a job from 1991-1994 and people at work talked about it constantly at lunch break). Your comments from other threads have a flavor of someone not old enough to have really followed and comprehend that trial and the public outrage as an adult. Answer the question, how old are you now?
The public outrage was pretty racially motivated. Somethinig slightly less prevalent 20 years later.

Are you not old enough to remember the main reasons WHY there was such public outrage? Or just not aware.

This case is very different than the OJ case. One major parallel though, anyone and everyone knew OJ did it, even the evidence was iron clad. And he got off.
Still haven't answer my question. For the third time, how old are you?

You are gonna have to figure that out on your own champ.
Thanks. you answered my question. If you were actually old enough have followed the OJ trial and knew what you were talking about, you would have said so.

You are gonna have to figure that out on your own champ.
Thanks. you answered my question. If you were actually old enough have followed the OJ trial and knew what you were talking about, you would have said so.
Maybe I am 18, maybe I am 50.

Either way, you are blinded by thinking that everything has a definite outcome. That needs no certain age to occur.

Unfortunately there is a very realistic chance he is done forever.
Well, consider it a sad commentary on humanity, then. Unless Hernandez gets convicted or the public becomes convinced that he actually pulled the trigger, I don't think he'll be as hated as Vick was immediately after the dogfighting ring. He might not even be as hated as Ben Roethlisberger was after the second set of sexual assault allegations. Murder is clearly a much higher order of magnitude of crime than dogfighting or rape, but I think those latter two crimes tend to elicit more emotional responses and raw outrage, largely because the victims in those two crimes are typically more sympathetic characters than murder victims.

Edit: If there's a long, drawn-out trial a la O.J. Simpson, all bets are off. The best thing Hernandez can do is get out of the headlines ASAP. The longer he's there, the larger the backlash against him is going to be.

I don't think these comparisons are a good match for the Hernandez situation.

Vick had a natural positional advantage (at least for fantasy football) due to his unusual running ability and production. He did not require another superstar nor a particular offensive system to put up significant rushing fantasy points in most scoring systems, which made his situation different. Hernandez is very talented, but he has no equivalent natural advantage at his position. And he has had the benefit of playing in a great offense with a superstar QB in his career to date; at this point, IMO it is unlikely he will ever play another down with either Brady or the Pats. If he comes back at some point with another team, it is unlikely he will ever provide the same fantasy value again.

Ricky Williams came back for the 2005 season at age 28 and finished as RB27 in 12 games, missing 4 games due to a drug suspension. Then Williams missed the entire 2006 season and the first 10 games of the 2007 season due to another drug suspension. Then he suffered a season ending injury in his first game back in the 2007 season and missed the rest of the season. Then Williams was a backup to Ronnie Brown in the 2008 season. Finally, at age 32, Williams finished as RB7, helped out by increased workload after Ronnie Brown suffering a season ending injury. That was the last season Williams finished above RB37. I don't think Ricky Williams is evidence in support of Hernandez being able to come back and pick up where he left off... I think Williams is a cautionary tale that shows exactly why it's not worth expecting much from Hernandez if he misses multiple seasons.

Plaxico Burress finished as WR36 in his first year back. His last full season before he shot himself, he was WR10. Again, he didn't pick up where he left off. His new team was so impressed, they didn't resign him. (Though, granted, that team was the Jets...)

I think those who are suggesting that Hernandez will rebound to the same performance level if he misses multiple seasons due to prison and/or suspension are way off base.

Users who are viewing this thread