What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Let's say he changes his life, no drugs, partying etc. Fully devoted himself to football and his spare time is taken up with helping kids who have cancer or something else humanitarian.

He's still an undersized scrambler who made his mark in college on broken plays and chucking it to Evans. I doubt his talent to be a competent NFL QB more than his ability to stay clean.
You could be right although he did complete 68.9 percent of his passes in college so it is not as if he can't at least throw semi accurate and not just toss ups to Evans. And it is not as if he has a hitch in his throw or a bad throwing motion ala Tim Tebow.

Serious question. If Manziel dedicates himself to the game of football why can't he be Russell Wilson part two?

Carter_Can_Fly said:
mr roboto said:
Let's say he changes his life, no drugs, partying etc. Fully devoted himself to football and his spare time is taken up with helping kids who have cancer or something else humanitarian.

He's still an undersized scrambler who made his mark in college on broken plays and chucking it to Evans. I doubt his talent to be a competent NFL QB more than his ability to stay clean.
You could be right although he did complete 68.9 percent of his passes in college so it is not as if he can't at least throw semi accurate and not just toss ups to Evans. And it is not as if he has a hitch in his throw or a bad throwing motion ala Tim Tebow.

Serious question. If Manziel dedicates himself to the game of football why can't he be Russell Wilson part two?
Why do you compare him to Wilson? Wilson has a bigger build, is way more intellegent, has a better arm and his leadership abilities are legendary. Not fair to Johnny to compare him to Wilson.

Also drug and alcohol relapses are north of 50% for the average joes, God knows how much higher they are for NFL millionaire qb's under intense scrutiny and pressure? Johnny has a long long road ahead of him just in life in general.

Even if Manziel gets his stuff together 100%, he's still HUGELY raw. He's going to need an absolute ton of work on staying in the pocket and going through progressions in a pro offense. If he looks to break the pocket and run as much in the NFL as he did in college he's going to get killed. I'm not sure that Cleveland is a place where he will get the intensive coaching on the fundamentals that he's going to need. Without that, he'll just be a gimmick QB, albeit one that makes some ridiculous splash plays that get play on Sportscenter.

That said, IMO he does have the arm, athleticism, instincts, and fearless mentality to succeed. But it'll take even more work for him than it does for a typical young NFL QB given the fact that he's never really had to make reads from the pocket. I have a hard time seeing him getting that coaching in Cleveland, and an even harder time seeing him wanting to put in the work in the film room and after hours on the practice field. Everything about him absolutely screams "entitled doosh" to me.

Vs Wilson? GTFO man. Seriously. They couldn't be more different as people and football players. Aside from both being short, they have nothing in common.

All young NFL qb's are raw. I compared Manziel to Wilson because they are similar build and have a very similar skill set. Obviously at this stage Wilson is an established starting QB becoming one of the leagues best. His leadership skills are well documented.

Manziel who is 4 years younger than Wilson can definitely become a starting NFL qb if he continues to dedicate himself to the craft of playing QB. The odds are stacked against any young NFL qb, and Manziel is no different. I think it is just way too early to write off a player as talented as Manziel.

The reason so many people piled on this guy was of his arrogance as a person. The problem with how people view the QB position both as teammates and as general fans is you can not be that type of player. You should be confident and not arrogant and plenty of QB's walk this line. This is not like WR, where it is ok to have that arrogant attitude. As a QB you have to be the leader of the team, and when you are arrogant and unproven it is a recipe for disaster as we witnessed with Manziel last year. Even when you show a type of arrogance as a vet people will pile on just ask Jay Cutler.

I don't know how anyone here can speak with certainty that Manziel will not improve and get better as a player. He needed to mature and by all accounts he has made giant strides in that part of his life. He has the skill set to be a competent NFL starter. Is he the ideal size that you would like for a QB? No. But smaller guys especially as of late have had success. Way too early to write Manziel off now that he seems to have taken care of one aspect of his life that was causing him to not be successful as a qb.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
mr roboto said:

Why do you compare him to Wilson? Wilson has a bigger build, is way more intellegent, has a better arm and his leadership abilities are legendary. Not fair to Johnny to compare him to Wilson.

Also drug and alcohol relapses are north of 50% for the average joes, God knows how much higher they are for NFL millionaire qb's under intense scrutiny and pressure? Johnny has a long long road ahead of him just in life in general.
Wilson got a 28 on the Wonderlic; Manziel got a 32.

Manziel is not stupid - he's a rich, spoiled brat who got hooked on drugs.

The reason so many people piled on this guy was of his arrogance as a person. The problem with how people view the QB position both as teammates and as general fans is you can not be that type of player. You should be confident and not arrogant and plenty of QB's walk this line. This is not like WR, where it is ok to have that arrogant attitude. As a QB you have to be the leader of the team, and when you are arrogant and unproven it is a recipe for disaster as we witnessed with Manziel last year. Even when you show a type of arrogance as a vet people will pile on just ask Jay Cutler.

I don't know how anyone here can speak with certainty that Manziel will not improve and get better as a player. He needed to mature and by all accounts he has made giant strides in that part of his life. He has the skill set to be a competent NFL starter. Is he the ideal size that you would like for a QB? No. But smaller guys especially as of late have had success. Way too early to write Manziel off now that he seems to have taken care of one aspect of his life that was causing him to not be successful as a qb.
Bias against short people - if he was 6-4, 230 he would have been much less hated. No one likes an arrogant short guy, especially when he plays a position dominated by tall guys.

Bias against short people - if he was 6-4, 230 he would have been much less hated. No one likes an arrogant short guy, especially when he plays a position dominated by tall guys.
Good point.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
mr roboto said:

Carter_Can_Fly said:
mr roboto said:

Wilson got a 28 on the Wonderlic; Manziel got a 32.

Manziel is not stupid - he's a rich, spoiled brat who got hooked on drugs.
Manziel is listed at 6' 207

Wilson at 5'11" 203

LO F'n L at Wilson's " Legendary leadership ".

^ you look like a complete fool
He posted their height and weight to counter your argument that Wilson was bigger.

I agree with you that Wilson has that 'it' factor as a leader. He is mature and has won a SB and looks the part. It helps that he is playing with a legendary defense, and one heck of a rb but his efficiency is great and he is getting the job done.

The same way that Manziel could possible in time get the job done in the NFL as well.

First, lets get around the off-field ######tery, which if we are being fair, he put behind him after the taunting incident and getting benched. Since then, he's been a model citizen. Still, the media will play up his bad behavior because that's what sells airtime, and the ultimate storyline.

Young kid, poor mechanics as a freshman despite winning the heisman. Improved a lot the next season. Seems willing to learn, and able to learn. Has the on-field intangibles to make plays out of nothing, ala Russell Wilson. The height isn't a concern as much as it used to be nor is the cannon arm. We see good examples of guys like Wilson and Brees overcome those obstacles.
Good post. You covered almost everything.I can look past some of the off-field stuff like taunting and the autograph(I don't personally), but when he missed the Manning camp meeting that was just careless.

Wilson and Brees are short. They are also built from what I can see. JF looks like Allen Iverson.

He is not Russell Wilson as a passer. Wilson passed the ball like a pro in college by dissecting defenses all over the field. I just went through some A&M games and JF looks more like a gimmick throwing bubble screens and quick slants all game. I'm not saying he doesn't have NFL talent. It just more like a backup in the right offense like 'the pistol." Watch him vs better teams like Bama, LSU, OK and Fla in 2012, or Mizzu and he's just ok. Less TD, more INTs ect... Not gaudy numbers. That's not great if you're planning to take a risk in the 1st round knowing there's a chance he puts all the money up his nose or in his liver. If he was a 4th I wouldn't gaf. I managed the risk as much as I could there.

I don't understand why he's a consensus 1st round talent. He has character issues, passing issues and size concerns. I can see a scenario where he gets his #### together. If I had to bet a nickel, he'll flame out like Tim Tebow. I'm sure Jac, Oak or some other typically bad franchise makes this pick.
Good point about Manning camp, that is alarming and disturbing, I heard about it but appreciate the reminder.

Also agree, Brees isn't a great comp physique-wise (though similar height), he is about 220 lbs and well put together. Brees is also a sensational athlete and can reportedly dunk a basketball, not sure Manziel is that explosive (though he is probably faster)?

Tebow had catastrophic mechanics, so his failure likely falls (in retrospect) into the inevitable, destined, fated, doomed category. Manziel, even accounting for his issues, in fairness is a far superior pure passer, though they do have running ability in common. Tebow was generally acknowledged as a reach, nobody I recall designated him a first round lock (it was at least a mild surprise when DEN took him, and a shock to many), and some scouts graded him as a third rounder or worse. Even before Manziel's impressive bowl game and apparent recent surge up the boards, respected Dallas-based draft observer Rich Gosselin (for years he had among the most accurate mocks - he admitted he did little scouting himself, but it was due to the breadth, depth and quality of his insider network) came away after talking with NFL personnel execs and decision makers convinced that Manziel would be a top 12 pick. So whatever we may think, it seems clear front offices don't view Tebow and Manziel the same.
I don't even view Tebow and Manziel the same, but it's a fair comp. You have two highly mobile players with decent passing numbers, but most of the quality production comes from playing in a "system" that is simple(like a Case Keenum at Houston). So maybe he is something like a really mobile Case Keenum or a Keenum/Tebow hybrid?? Two small guys in high paced offenses that get exposed as passers when the compitition rises. There's a role for them in the NFL, just not as franchise QBs. The NFL draft is a big chess game. Some team will keep their picks quite like Min with Ponder. Other teams will talk up players so another team can take a player higher then the should. As much as we like to scoff at the idea, at least one team considered Tebow a 1st round talent. For Manziel not to slide some team will have to think the same of him.
Good stuff

I'd take Manziel over all QB's not named Winston in this draft.. all day.
:lmao:
I really don't think this is that outlandish of a comment.I would rather have Mariota but it is not as if Manziel is that far behind in terms of becoming a viable starting QB.
it's almost like nobody saw him play last year.
He had 35 pass attempts last year which is hardly enough to determine much of anything. To be honest he should not have even had 1 pass attempt. He came into the league with the wrong attitude and selfish attitude and I really think he thought in his own head he would be successful like he was in college based on pure athleticism. He was also still in college party mode and had not made the transfer that being an NFL qb is a full time job that takes time, commitment and hard work.

He still may end up busting as a high percentage of QB's do, but let's at least wait and see what transpires now that he has been making steps to becoming a better professional qb.

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel was the Browns' second-string quarterback as OTAs opened Tuesday.

As expected, veteran journeyman Josh McCown took the first-team reps. After last year's utter meltdown on and off the field, Manziel will have to earn the trust of his coaches and team before he climbs the depth chart. So far, all signs have been good since he got out of rehab. We're likely looking at a true competition in training camp.

Related: Josh McCown

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter
May 26 - 11:26 AM

I really don't think this is that outlandish of a comment.I would rather have Mariota but it is not as if Manziel is that far behind in terms of becoming a viable starting QB.
Why is this so comical?
It isn't but this way they don't have to come up with reason other then Johnny is a DB.

Why is this so comical?
It isn't but this way they don't have to come up with reason other then Johnny is a DB.
Nobody with the faintest clue about professional football could possibly believe Manziel has a snowball's chance in hell to cut it as a backup QB, much less a starter, much, much less a "viable" one. :lmao:

Guy has zero NFL QB skills or physical attributes. Zero. He's small, stupid, weak-armed, undisciplined, and a sub-par athlete. You can make up for one or two of those if you have unbelievable stacks of chips in the others. He doesn't. It couldn't matter less if he turned his personal life around and became a saint, and got off the sauce and coke and became a spokesman for the straight edgers. He still wouldn't have any useful NFL QB'ing skills.

Sooner or later, you've got to have more to hang your hat on than a nickname and some big college numbers playing a style of football that doesn't translate. That this bandwagon still exists is one of the most laughable things in all of fandom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this so comical?
Nobody with the faintest clue about professional football could possibly believe Manziel has a snowball's chance in hell to cut it as a backup QB, much less a starter, much, much less a "viable" one. :lmao: Guy has zero NFL QB skills or physical attributes. Zero. He's small, stupid, weak-armed, undisciplined, and a sub-par athlete. You can make up for one or two of those if you have unbelievable stacks of chips in the others. He doesn't. It couldn't matter less if he turned his personal life around and became a saint, and got off the sauce and coke and became a spokesman for the straight edgers. He still wouldn't have any useful NFL QB'ing skills.

Sooner or later, you've got to have more to hang your hat on than a nickname and some big college numbers playing a style of football that doesn't translate. That this bandwagon still exists is one of the most laughable things in all of fandom.
Whole lot of dumb people out there making a living scouting football players if that's the case -- because literally not one single scouting report last year concluded that he shouldn't be drafted at all. Not one. He was a consensus late 1st / 2nd round prospect.

A year ago, the Manziel-lovers were overboard. Now, haters have gone so far in the other direction. Claiming he has "zero physical attributes or QB skills" is pretty much even more ignorant than the pro-Johnny FB side was a year ago. So absurd... this stuff isn't completely black / white, people. And the huge absolute calls really make you look bad.

Rotoworld:

Teammate Donte Whitner has praised Johnny Manziel's work ethic this offseason.

Whitner says Manziel has been showing up early and leaving late. Whitner is the second Browns veteran to praise Manziel's newly nose-to-the-grindstone attitude, joining LT Joe Thomas. Manziel has opened OTAs as the No. 2 quarterback behind Josh McCown, but we'd be surprised if he didn't make starts this season.

Source: Kevin Jones on Twitter
May 26 - 2:54 PM

Manziel is a good athlete. he is undersized, and understrength for the position, but he is quick and a good athlete. Those saying he has an above average arm I cannot agree with from my observation. he lofts the ball on any throw I have seen over 30 yards needing his hole body to make the throw. I would put him at a below average arm by NFL standards from my ill-informed standards as a fan.

My position on him was that he was a guaranteed washout. he was arrogant, entitled, and clearly a drug abuser when he entered the league. He had no respect for himself, the truth, or his team mates. It was beyond me how he could get drafted where he did. To me he was a corollary, though not analogous, to Tebow. Neither had a shot, for different deficiencies (Tebow being no more accurate than am I throwing left handed, and I am a natural righty).

Now, can Manziel get this turned around, I doubt it, but maybe he can. Size and arm strength can be overcome through study and anticipation of throws. I do not give him much of a chance, but he still has a chance, slim, but a chance. He is not currently worth his contract, but who knows, at one time, to achieve what he once did, he had to have drive and desire. Maybe he can recapture that and yet develop a pro game. were I betting on it I would be betting against him. Having no stake in the matter one way or another I would be happy for him to find success based on humility.

Bleacher Report NFL ‏@BR_NFL 49m49 minutes ago

Johnny Manziel threw a water bottle at a man who harassed him at the Byron Nelson Classic, police involved http://ble.ac/1EL8Fah
He a new man
Why the hell would the police be involved with this?
Because it's assault?
I guess it's a demonstration of the ####ification of America.
Just read on PFT that he didn't even hit the guy, they were apparently "buddies" and Manziel was taking to security at the event about the situation. Sometimes police work security on their days off to make some extra cash, so maybe that's how the police got involved?

At this point I am not even sure it is possible for Johnny to become anything in the NFL. Even if his talent and skill level improved to the point where he could be, the media and fans wouldn't allow it to happen anyway.

Is JM officially or unofficially 2nd or 3rd or no string right now? Any reports from ota's?
Report: Johnny Manziel a 'fish out of water,' Browns could be 'moving on'
That is Cleveland Brown's beat writer Tony Grossi's negative take on Manziel. He consistently has a ton of negative things to say about the Browns in general so take it with a grain of salt.

It would be awesome for every article to be positive but with a player like Manziel that is going to be rare. Manziel has a ton of negative press and some of that is self inflicted due to the way he has carried himself. Manziel was raw last year and he is now learning a new system. It will take time if ever. It is impossible to say at these voluntary OTA's in shorts and t-shirts that the Brown's are moving on. That is beyond ridiculous.

Is JM officially or unofficially 2nd or 3rd or no string right now? Any reports from ota's?
That is Cleveland Brown's beat writer Tony Grossi's negative take on Manziel. He consistently has a ton of negative things to say about the Browns in general so take it with a grain of salt.

It would be awesome for every article to be positive but with a player like Manziel that is going to be rare. Manziel has a ton of negative press and some of that is self inflicted due to the way he has carried himself. Manziel was raw last year and he is now learning a new system. It will take time if ever. It is impossible to say at these voluntary OTA's in shorts and t-shirts that the Brown's are moving on. That is beyond ridiculous.
He gives a pretty specific reason as to why. The Browns want a game manager not someone who improvises on the fly.

He gives a pretty specific reason as to why. The Browns want a game manager not someone who improvises on the fly.
According to him. Pretty obvious he needed something to write about... so he wrote stuff.

Same with a couple other articles that were attempts at positive Manziel spin. None of this info is from the Browns.

According to him. Pretty obvious he needed something to write about... so he wrote stuff.

Same with a couple other articles that were attempts at positive Manziel spin. None of this info is from the Browns.
He is doing a recap from the OTA's on what he and others saw. Did you even read both of the articles? Are you denying that the Browns dont want a game manager over "improvise on the fly" type QB?

I admire your admiration for Johnny football but after what we have seen for 18 months or so its getting a little weird.

These are the QBs Defilippo has coached (QBs coach all years):

• 14 Oak - Carr
  • 13 Oak - Pryor (9 starts)/McGloin (6 starts)/Flynn (1 start)
  • 12 Oak - Carson Palmer
  • 09 NYJ - Sanchez (8-7)
  • 08 Oak - Jamarcus Russell (actually went 5-10)
  • 07 Oak - Josh McCown (9 starts)/Culpepper (6 starts)/Russell (1 start)
  • 2010-11 San Jose St - 2 drop back QBs (Faulkner, La Secla)
I had hoped to see a pattern here of some kind, but the guy has been beset with QB changes every year in Oakland. I would guess though that when CLE hired him they had in mind the offenses and QB play he had with Carr, Palmer and (good) Sanchez. Not the scramble and chuck play of Pryor or the just plain chuck it play of Russell.

ETA - I also didn't notice, and I'm not sure it's been mentioned, that DeFilippo actually coached McCown as a starter before, but he did in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:

He is doing a recap from the OTA's on what he and others saw. Did you even read both of the articles? Are you denying that the Browns dont want a game manager over "improvise on the fly" type QB?

I admire your admiration for Johnny football but after what we have seen for 18 months or so its getting a little weird.
Others?

This is an article written by a beat writer to get noticed as opposed to much substance. What did Grossi expect? Did he expect Manziel to come in and be running this brand new offense like a seasoned vet? There are flaws in Manziel's game that need to be ironed out and he has an uphill battle ahead of him. He needs to improve and get better, but Grossi wrote this article to get noticed.

What I find ridiculous is how anyone can speculate that Brown's have moved on from Manziel because of an OTA in May in shorts and a t-shirt where a young QB who is learning a new offense did not look comfortable?

Users who are viewing this thread