What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

Tate just looks better than Foster right now. Not sure why it is but it certainly appears that way to my eyes. I wonder if they start making him more of a factor after yesterday?
Wait, so Tate fumbles and gets benched, and yet you wonder if they will make him MORE of a factor after yesterday? Are you actually using your eyes to watch the games?
I meant running the ball as a whole. Not benching foster.

Foster looked awesome yesterday. Puts up his best game of the season and you think they'll feature Tate more? It's not Foster's fault they blew it.

Foster looked awesome yesterday. Puts up his best game of the season and you think they'll feature Tate more? It's not Foster's fault they blew it.
i mean I wonder if they try and take the pressure of Matt s and start just pounding the ball more. They have a great oline and 2 awesome backs but to me they are still trying to pass a lot.

Its a 60/40 split so far.They are passing alot because they are falling behind and Schaub likes to give the other team free points causing them to go into desperation mode.

Tate looks fantastic and honestly you immediately notice the difference when he's in the game. However, Foster is still good and Tate has no future with the team. Tate will cut into Foster's numbers to prevent him from being top 5 but Foster is still a RB1.

Tate looks fantastic and honestly you immediately notice the difference when he's in the game. However, Foster is still good and Tate has no future with the team. Tate will cut into Foster's numbers to prevent him from being top 5 but Foster is still a RB1.
I know Tate is in the final year of his contract. I guess there's been no talk about Houston extending him or working on a new deal? Obviously that would be important news for dynasty owners. Homers chime in?

I know Tate is in the final year of his contract. I guess there's been no talk about Houston extending him or working on a new deal? Obviously that would be important news for dynasty owners. Homers chime in?
They can't afford him. Even if they could, no one outside of the Panthers are dumb enough to give two huge contracts to RBs.

He would need to have an awful rest of the year to be affordable. Otherwise, he's Michael Turner all over again, and Turner got a deal for 15 million guaranteed five years ago. Even though running backs have become less valuable since then, I have to think Tate could beat that contract on the open market. In a world where you can get Eddie Lacy or Gio Bernard in the 2nd round or pretty much any other back you like a little in the 4th, there's just no reason to spend big money at the position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Barring injury, Foster is going to be a top 5 RB again this year. I think this has been the plan all along. This early schedule was brutal on paper but here in a few weeks it opens up for the run game. Going down the stretch of the fantasy season, there are some very enticing games for the Texans.

He's UFA and could be the starter in Cleveland or St Louis (maybe even Atlanta or Arizona), why should he re-sign with the Texans ?

He's UFA and could be the starter in Cleveland or St Louis (maybe even Atlanta or Arizona), why should he re-sign with the Texans ?
Don't know that he would, only if there had been any talk of the Texans opening discussions or making any attempts to keep him in Houston.

Foster gets no love, but despite all the worry about injury and Tate, he's been a bargain...slid lower than Spiller, Martin, and some other 1st round RBs but has been outproducing them by large margins on a regular basis.

Foster gets no love, but despite all the worry about injury and Tate, he's been a bargain...slid lower than Spiller, Martin, and some other 1st round RBs but has been outproducing them by large margins on a regular basis.
Crickets in this thread. Foster is back in form. Don't worry, the detractors will show up again next offseason. They will be right eventually after years of being wrong.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:
just_want_2_win said:
Crickets in this thread. Foster is back in form. Don't worry, the detractors will show up again next offseason. They will be right eventually after years of being wrong.
Every year there's a new reason why Tate's taking his job. Wrong every year.

My favorite part about the draft every year is the idiot who drafts Ben Tate in the 7th round thinking this will be the year he strikes gold. And every year that idiot fails to make the playoffs....keep blowing picks thinking Tate is even half as good as Foster.

Foster has been the lone bright spot so far for the team this season. Definitely doesn't look broken down in the slightest when you watch him run. Sadly for fantasy he's not getting in the end zone because of how inept the offense and coaching has been in the red zone.

My favorite part about the draft every year is the idiot who drafts Ben Tate in the 7th round thinking this will be the year he strikes gold. And every year that idiot fails to make the playoffs....keep blowing picks thinking Tate is even half as good as Foster.
Tate scored 11 points in my league this week to Fosters 21 points. Just going by your "7th round" draft position vs Fosters top 2 overall then thats not a great big difference in points and you are getting a ton of better players in between. I dont think you are blowing picks if you are getting Tate way later than foster.

Tate scored 11 points in my league this week to Fosters 21 points. Just going by your "7th round" draft position vs Fosters top 2 overall then thats not a great big difference in points and you are getting a ton of better players in between. I dont think you are blowing picks if you are getting Tate way later than foster.
Houston pulled its starters in the 4th and gave up on the game, giving Tate the garbage time score. He was barely involved before that. I'm not saying he won't be involved moving forward, but I think his two fumbles and the dominance of Foster have put him in the backseat. Also I don't think many people had to take Foster 2nd overall. He was going late 1st round, and even 2nd round in most of my drafts.

Tate had 3 touches before he went in late in the 4th quarter when it was 38-6. The "rotating series" talk seems to be firmly in the rear view. Even with the game firmly out of hand Foster was still in there for a few more series for some reason when he didn't need to be. It wasnt until after Yates 2nd INT did the Texans pull the starters.

that doesnt negate his points
It doesn't, but a 10 carries for 12 yards performance certainly takes some air out of the "you can clearly see that Tate is playing better than him" argument, as if it weren't already deflated.

Week 4: Tate - 45 yards and a fumble. 2.5 points. Foster - 171 yards and a touchdown. 23.1 points.

Week 5: Tate - 40 yards and a fumble. 2 points. Foster - 118 yards. 11.8 points.

Week 6: Tate - 28 yards and a TD. 8.8 points. Foster - 198 yards. 19.8 points.

In other words: what anyone who's watched the Texans at all for the past three seasons expected.

A few stats of note: with 714 yards from scrimmage so far, Foster is behind only McCoy, Charles, and Reggie Bush in yards per game, coming in at 119 total yards per. After some dips last season, his YPC is back up to 4.5 and his YPR is at 8.3. With just under 4 receptions per game (22 total), he's also back to contributing in the passing game about as frequently as he did in 2010 and 2011. He only had 40 catches through all of 2012.

The thing right now separating Foster from top 3 RB where he's been in previous years is the lack of touchdown opportunities. He's averaged around a touchdown per game through his career, but this season he has 2 TDs in 6 games.

Ironically, touchdowns were about the only thing that wasn't suggested as a knock against him.

The thing right now separating Foster from top 3 RB where he's been in previous years is the lack of touchdown opportunities. He's averaged around a touchdown per game through his career, but this season he has 2 TDs in 6 games.

Ironically, touchdowns were about the only thing that wasn't suggested as a knock against him.
Yep. He's been great, if he can get some TDs he will live up to his top 3-5 RB spot he deserves.

Missed practice yesterday. If a team is just giving a player a rest day doesn't that usually happen on Wednesday?

(KFFL) Houston Texans RB Arian Foster (chest, hamstring, thumb) did not participate in practice Thursday, Oct. 17, because of a sore hamstring.

Chaka said:
Missed practice yesterday. If a team is just giving a player a rest day doesn't that usually happen on Wednesday?

(KFFL) Houston Texans RB Arian Foster (chest, hamstring, thumb) did not participate in practice Thursday, Oct. 17, because of a sore hamstring.
Foster does what he wants. He's that good.

Chaka said:

Practiced in full today and is Probable according to Roto and KFFL.

Hamstring. Left the game early and was immediately on the sideline in his street clothes.

Edit:

Arian Foster was forced from Houston's Week 7 game against the Chiefs with a hamstring injury, and will not return.
Foster was officially deemed "questionable" after departing early in the first quarter, but was spotted in street clothes on the sideline. He was formally ruled out a short time later. It's the same injury that slowed up Foster during the practice week. Ben Tate will carry the mail against the Chiefs, and is without a backup, as third-stringer Cierre Wood is a healthy scratch. Foster had four carries for 11 yards before departing.

Oct 20 - 4:59 PM

Hamstring. Left the game early and was immediately on the sideline in his street clothes.

Edit:

Arian Foster was forced from Houston's Week 7 game against the Chiefs with a hamstring injury, and will not return.
Foster was officially deemed "questionable" after departing early in the first quarter, but was spotted in street clothes on the sideline. He was formally ruled out a short time later. It's the same injury that slowed up Foster during the practice week. Ben Tate will carry the mail against the Chiefs, and is without a backup, as third-stringer Cierre Wood is a healthy scratch. Foster had four carries for 11 yards before departing.

Oct 20 - 4:59 PM
Ouch!!!

Jeebus.

I was just starting to type, Cierre Wood is the 3rd string but was a healthy scratch. FB Greg Jones has played RB before though and would take over.

I just didn't think he'd take over NOW.

Tate going for x-rays.
both RBs get 2 weeks, but I would worry about a Foster's hammy more than tates ribs
Yeah, dealing with a rib injury is almost always just a pain tolerance/management issue. A hammy injury, especially for Foster is much more worrisome, even with him getting the week off.

He was ruled out rather quickly.
Similar to the Vernon Davis situation. Took him 2 weeks to get back.

Tate going for x-rays.
both RBs get 2 weeks, but I would worry about a Foster's hammy more than tates ribs
Yeah, dealing with a rib injury is almost always just a pain tolerance/management issue. A hammy injury, especially for Foster is much more worrisome, even with him getting the week off.

He was ruled out rather quickly.
Similar to the Vernon Davis situation. Took him 2 weeks to get back.
we don't know how bad it is, and Foster has a little bit of a history on hammy's. VD owners should consider themselves very lucky he came back so quick and effective as he did.

Users who are viewing this thread