What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (3 Viewers)

Oh man, might be getting L.Bell and Foster back around the same time....can't freaking wait.
If you can start 2-0, you might go undefeated.

Probably not, but you'll have the top tandem in PPR.
Oh and I left out that I have AP as well, Bell was my keeper. Frankly if I can go 1-1 I'll be thrilled.
That is an embarrassment of riches!

Who are your WRs?
Hopkins, Cooper, Smith Sr, and K.Wright.

PSU is the fantasy man
What's funny is that initially I didn't feel that good about the draft. But the Brady news broke 2 days later, and now things are really looking up for Foster. Lot of risk in my draft but to this point the outlook is good.

Cheers to all Foster owners.

Report: Foster could return in Week 2 or 3

5469.jpg

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports Arian Foster (groin surgery) could return as early as Week 2 or 3.

PSU is the fantasy man
Won't know for sure until he posts his roster and scoring requirements. Forget the Rate my Team page, just do it right inside a player information thread.

Seriously though, are Foster owners planning on plugging him in immediately if he's active Week 3 or 4? I'd personally want to give it a week with bye weeks starting Week 5. Foster owners should have rostered at least serviceable options to get you through until we see Arian at 100% and a full workload. Would hate to trot him out with near-replacement level options (assuming Foster isn't sure-fire 100% and on a pitch count, where then you wouldn't have near replacement level options) and get a dud while he's getting into the groove. Would give that 1 week though, unless camp reports are coming out that he's ready to go at full force or O'Brien confirms that himself.

PSU is the fantasy man
Won't know for sure until he posts his roster and scoring requirements. Forget the Rate my Team page, just do it right inside a player information thread.

Seriously though, are Foster owners planning on plugging him in immediately if he's active Week 3 or 4? I'd personally want to give it a week with bye weeks starting Week 5. Foster owners should have rostered at least serviceable options to get you through until we see Arian at 100% and a full workload. Would hate to trot him out with near-replacement level options (assuming Foster isn't sure-fire 100% and on a pitch count, where then you wouldn't have near replacement level options) and get a dud while he's getting into the groove. Would give that 1 week though, unless camp reports are coming out that he's ready to go at full force or O'Brien confirms that himself.
No way. Groins are the absolute worst for players/teams to return from too early and then set it all back a couple months.

I may be in the minority, but I would prefer him rest and be 100% healthy. I took him in the 5th at a time where he was still supposed to miss 4-5 weeks. I set my team up with the intention of him missing games and I was OK with that.

If he comes back early and injures himself, that would be the worst case scenario for a guy who is already always banged up

Just saying. I would imagine most of us who drafted him have contingent plans. I know I went RB-RB in the first two rounds to hedge my bets with him

PSU is the fantasy man

If the team is ready for him to start, then so am I

I may be in the minority, but I would prefer him rest and be 100% healthy. I took him in the 5th at a time where he was still supposed to miss 4-5 weeks. I set my team up with the intention of him missing games and I was OK with that.

If he comes back early and injures himself, that would be the worst case scenario for a guy who is already always banged up

Just saying. I would imagine most of us who drafted him have contingent plans. I know I went RB-RB in the first two rounds to hedge my bets with him
This is how I feel. I love the optimism but I don't want to see him come back week 2. Rest it a little more. I assumed I wouldn't have him until week 3-4 and I am fine with that.

This is how I feel. I love the optimism but I don't want to see him come back week 2. Rest it a little more. I assumed I wouldn't have him until week 3-4 and I am fine with that.
That is just anchoring bias. If you had been told originally he would be back late August, you would be annoyed to see him out this long. Medicine and healing aren't always perfectly predictable. The team won't have him out there unless he is ready to go.

That is just anchoring bias. If you had been told originally he would be back late August, you would be annoyed to see him out this long. Medicine and healing aren't always perfectly predictable. The team won't have him out there unless he is ready to go.
So then I want him out there one week after the team says he is ready to go. We've got 16 weeks to worry about, not just the first two.

So then I want him out there one week after the team says he is ready to go. We've got 16 weeks to worry about, not just the first two.
How do you know the team doesn't think he is ready to go today?

PSU is the fantasy man

No way. Groins are the absolute worst for players/teams to return from too early and then set it all back a couple months.
I've had Foster more than I can count on two hands. You're right, his groin can explode at any minute, but if there's one thing I've learned, you start Foster every time he's active. Arian is a selfish player and a #### to his backups. He will get into the game and play well until his muscles burst ...then you're SOL.

I don't think team will rush him back. If he plays, he's going into my lineup.
He has said himself he won't play until he's 100% so if he's playing then he thinks he is healthy, therefore I insert him into the lineup and collect my 20-30.

He has said himself he won't play until he's 100% so if he's playing then he thinks he is healthy, therefore I insert him into the lineup and collect my 20-30.
Just because the team has him play doesn't mean they won't ease him in with a pitch count though. Clowney has been practicing longer than Foster and the Texans are using a pitch count on him.

A lot of players get things like tweaked hammies in preseason. I don't think it's uncommon for someone who didn't get to work such things out in preseason to come back and run into them during the season. And Foster has had a history of those. Easing a player back in from a situation like this isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSU is the fantasy man

If the team is ready for him to start, then so am I
Yeah, I've always said if a guy is healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to produce.

When he returns, I'll actually have to bench a really good player, though when the bye weeks start I'll be at an advantage.

Just because the team has him play doesn't mean they won't ease him in with a pitch count though. Clowney has been practicing longer than Foster and the Texans are using a pitch count on him.

A lot of players get things like tweaked hammies in preseason. I don't think it's uncommon for someone who didn't get to work such things out in preseason to come back and run into them during the season. And Foster has had a history of those. Easing a player back in from a situation like this isn't a bad idea.
we have an extensive "coming back from injury" history with Foster.

in any of those cases, has he been eased back (Im going to guess no, but would love some verification)? could be a great indicator for first game back this season

Oh man, might be getting L.Bell and Foster back around the same time....can't freaking wait.

Oh and I left out that I have AP as well, Bell was my keeper. Frankly if I can go 1-1 I'll be thrilled.
Whoa. Dude, who are your Quarterbacks and Defenses?
Brady and the Jets.

I know in my case I felt comfortable taking him b/c I had Bell and AP. Also grabbed J.Bell to get me through the first two weeks. Frankly if the team puts him out there, I'm likely playing him as my flex. Hope they error on the side of caution though b/c personally I'm willing to wait.

Brady and the Jets.
Kicker?

This is Arian Foster we're talking about - you start him if he's going.

Good chance you give him a few weeks, he goes for 20+ both of the weeks on your bench, then the week you play him, he gets knocked out with [insert soft tissue injury here].

He goes, he plays...or rather, play'im while you gottem.

Brady and the Jets.
Kicker?
Here's my roster.

Brady, Palmer, AP, L.Bell, Foster, J.Bell, McKinnon, Hopkins, Cooper, Smith Sr, K.Wright, Rudolph, Ertz, Jets, Hauschka

PPR

This is Arian Foster we're talking about - you start him if he's going.

Good chance you give him a few weeks, he goes for 20+ both of the weeks on your bench, then the week you play him, he gets knocked out with [insert soft tissue injury here].

He goes, he plays...or rather, play'im while you gottem.
I'm with this guy.

Greg, I know you know the Texans as well as anyone. How many times has Foster come back and not went immediately back to full carry load? I don't ever recall an instance when he came back and they put him on a pitch count. I do recall one time when he came back and immediately hurt himself again but that's not what I'm talking about.

Greg, I know you know the Texans as well as anyone. How many times has Foster come back and not went immediately back to full carry load? I don't ever recall an instance when he came back and they put him on a pitch count. I do recall one time when he came back and immediately hurt himself again but that's not what I'm talking about.
Looking at his game log, I can't really see much, which jives with my memory and perception. There are maybe a couple games that he may have had a problem, but I'd have to look at them more closely to know for sure.

2011 and 2014 are the seasons he had injuries during the season.

Under Kubiak, he missed the 1st game with a hamstring.

2nd game he had 10 carries in 2 quarters of work and then reinjured it.

3rd game he missed.

4th game he came back and had 30 carries, so that definitely wasn't a case of easing him back in.

Last season under O'Brien, he had a hamstring in camp but was good to go by the time the season started and was a workhorse in the first 2 games before reinjuring the hamstring. Going into the games O'Brien had quotes like "Arian's going to play a lot," O'Brien said, per the Houston Chronicle. "After that, we'll see how it goes." which he lived up to, 27 and 28 carries in those games.

Missed game 3.

Returned in game 4 against Bufallo. John McClain said, "Foster would't be active if he wasn't 100 percent. That means he'll get a full workload." But Albert Breer and Tania Ganguli both reported Foster's workload would be based on how his hamstring held up. After the game, according to Rotoworld, "Foster himself acknowledged he wasn't 100 percent in Sunday's win over the Bills, managing six yards on eight carries". Foster had the 8 carries, Blue had 9. So that would be a case of the team limiting his carries though he was playing.

Played through game 9 including 25 carries the next week against Dallas. Game 9 he hurt his groin and missed the next 2 games.

Returned in game 12 and had 19 carries. Blue and Grimes combined for 12 carries. That's about 60/40, close enough to a normal distribution which is more like 67/33. In games Foster played, Foster had 260 carries while Blue and Grimes combined for 128. I don't see any O'Brien quotes about their plans for him going into that game, but did find this quote which might give some insight into O'Brien's philosophy and also fits with the bit from the Buffalo game earlier in the year when he returned:

"Soft tissue injuries, those are things that happen quite a bit. I would say in our time this year that we haven't had as many soft tissues as teams that I've been associated with in the past," O'Brien said. "You have to let them heal and you have to listen to the player about where he thinks he's at, and definitely communicate on those things."
So the game Foster said publicly (after the fact) he wasn't 100% for against Buffalo, he got just under half the carries. Don't know what Foster indicated going into the return week 12, but at least it doesn't show inconsistency by O'Brien. Of course, I don't expect Foster to indicate he's less than 100% if he plays, so maybe that only helps us a little.

By the way, to say things more clearly than I did the first time... the point my comment was trying to make is that it doesn't make sense to take a stance today on whether to play him or not when he first comes back. It should depend largely on what we hear from the coaching staff and from Foster at that point in time. I wasn't trying to say, "He will be on a pitch on a count", I was trying to get across it is a definite possibility and we just need to wait and see.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Foster says he's not coming back until he's 100%, seems to me he's taking into account past experience in doing so. I believe he will play when he feels 100%, I just hope his injury is indeed fully healed and not somehow fooling him into thinking he's ready.

Alex P Keaton said:
SproutDaddy said:
Jack White said:
Yeah, I've always said if a guy is healthy enough to play, he's healthy enough to produce.
As a Jimmy Graham owner last year I can tell you that you're wrong.
Foster had sports hernia surgery. This is a really, really minor surgery. It just is. (Except for Montee Ball)
Did Ball have surgery? I thought they just tried to let it heal with rest. I know he had an apendectomy during the preseason.

What round did you get Hauschka? He must have slid forever with that roster
He's a kicker. What do you mean by "must have slid forever?!?"
It's a good joke/bad joke because PSU has basically been baited into listing his whole team, and he's trying to sarcastically say "nobody gives a hoot" about PSU's team. I'm not sure whether PSU is just playing along or naive to the sarcasm font going on for the last 2 pages.

It's a good joke/bad joke because PSU has basically been baited into listing his whole team, and he's trying to sarcastically say "nobody gives a hoot" about PSU's team. I'm not sure whether PSU is just playing along or naive to the sarcasm font going on for the last 2 pages.
How do you save post into the bottom of your thing? i want to save yours cracks me up as I've been following it the whole time.

BigSteelThrill said:
mquinnjr said:
PSU is the fantasy man

This is a little different than a groin pull...he had surgery on it. I think having the surgery helps it heal better, not worse. I also do not think the team would risk putting him out there unless he was 100%. He could repull that sucker at any time whether he is playing 10 snaps or 50. I trust the Houston docs, so if he is playing, he will for sure be in my line up.

BigSteelThrill said:
mquinnjr said:
PSU is the fantasy man

This is a little different than a groin pull...he had surgery on it. I think having the surgery helps it heal better, not worse. I also do not think the team would risk putting him out there unless he was 100%. He could repull that sucker at any time whether he is playing 10 snaps or 50. I trust the Houston docs, so if he is playing, he will for sure be in my line up.
I do recall reading an article about the surgery which indicated that it would be a permanent solution. Or something to that effect.

BigSteelThrill said:
mquinnjr said:
PSU is the fantasy man

Yeah, a groin pull is very different, and more likely to re-injure. That said, hernia surgery can linger, and can feel uncomfortable. I had it 10 years ago, and still felt uncomfortable at times 2 years later. But it never limited me once healed.

How do you save post into the bottom of your thing? i want to save yours cracks me up as I've been following it the whole time.
You guys are just terrible and mean people

Finally figure out the signature :thumbup: going to crack me up every time i read it

Finally figure out the signature :thumbup: going to crack me up every time i read it
the size of your signature should make you an object of much greater ridicule.

the size of your signature should make you an object of much greater ridicule.
i actually just got rid of it #### was annoying me it was to long

Users who are viewing this thread