What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (7 Viewers)

I think we might get him for a 3rd and future 5th, Rosen that is.
If the cost isn't high I think they will kick the tires on Rosen. A 3rd and a 5th would fit the bill, although it might take more than that to land him. Not sure it is worth delving into the first or second round territory if Brady really intends to stick around 2-3 more seasons. They may not know how Rosen would do if Brady were to take all the snaps.

Pretty easy choice on the tender. Retain his rights on the cheap and hope he can play... at some point. Minimal impact on salary cap and if some team offers a second it's an easy accept. Classic win/win.

I assume Flowers and Brown leaving is a guaranteed two 3rd round compensatory picks?
Only if the Pats stay away from signing other top free agents.  They can sign anyone that was cut from another team without impacting the compensatory pick formula though. 

But yes, both players will qualify for third round compensatory picks. 

I guess it cost a pretty penny to get a piece of the GOAT. TB12 did a signing here last weekend. To get a signature cost $1049 to $2199 depending upon the item being signed and if you purchased the item or supplied your own. Mind you, that did not include the cost of the item itself. That price was for just the signature. I would not have guessed that Brady would be that into killing a day to make essentially lunch money for him. It was not a meet and greet, so it’s not like you got to say hi and get a selfie. 

That cap space money should be going to Gostkowski.

I'm among Patriots fans who have been frustrated by his big game missed kicks. But, he's still the best option at Kicker by a wide margin.

There's no next man up to replace Gronk.

The Patriots have serious problems to solve in their passing game.

Football is a brutal business. Malcolm Mitchell also retired recently due to injuries. He was the Patriots 4th round draft pick (#112) in 2016.

They have a first and two seconds in a decent class for wr and te. They rarely draft for need and i think the odds are good they dip into the d line pool if they like one in particular but they seem likely to add a big target.

I guess it cost a pretty penny to get a piece of the GOAT. TB12 did a signing here last weekend. To get a signature cost $1049 to $2199 depending upon the item being signed and if you purchased the item or supplied your own. Mind you, that did not include the cost of the item itself. That price was for just the signature. I would not have guessed that Brady would be that into killing a day to make essentially lunch money for him. It was not a meet and greet, so it’s not like you got to say hi and get a selfie. 
If true, that's hard to believe at this stage of the game.  You sure about the details of this?

Recklessly speculating that he got caught cheating in his wife?
Ian Rappaport referenced an unspecified private family matter requiring his attention, so I'm not sure if the speculation is reckless or not...unless you consider speculation about personal lives to be reckless by definition (some do).  Since I don't, I would think an adulterer would prioritize career over marital preservation so I speculate its something else.

If it's true him and Darth Hoodie are friends ...he had to say something. Maybe the recent defensive hires rubbed him the wrong way?  :oldunsure:

Gostkowski is coming back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001025811/article/kicker-stephen-gostkowski-resigns-with-patriots

Kicker Stephen Gostkowski got what he wanted in the end.

The New England Patriots on Tuesday brought back Gostkowski on a two-year deal, NFL Network's Michael Giardi reported. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

ESPN first reported the news.

The 35-year-old Gostkowski lasted on the free-agent market for a little less than month, but re-signing with the Patriots remained a priority, as Giardi pointed out the veteran kicker told him a return to New England was his "first choice."

Last edited by a moderator:
And now signed Seferian-Jenkins at TE. Probably a prove-it type deal with low risk and the hopes of a high return. Solid move, if so.

EDIT: via twitter - minimum deal with incentives. Love it.

Belichick/Brady says it all.

Whatever they do seems to work,  without question (Niner fan here) the best ran franchise in NFL history.  Came a long ways since Babe Parilli and Larry Garron.

Patriots projected to have 14 picks next year:

- One first

- One second

- Three thirds (2 compensatory)

- Two fourths

- Three sixths (2 compensatory)

- Four sevenths

Granted, most of them are second and third day picks  Pretty clear they can’t use them all, so most likely they will use them to move up on draft day if there are players they really like  

I predict the Patriots will use their first round pick and trade the other 13 picks to get 16 picks back (not all in 2020).

What looked to be a disastrous exodus might actually be better built: 

they added a young QB and some special teams. 

They might have gotten better everywhere! We lost a few studs but what group doesn’t look better than last year?

+ DB, RB added nice rookie

+/- DL, OL, QB, LB, WR (I can see WR, DL and OL actually rating + as a whole)

- TE unless they get Rudolph and would it surprise if the TE receptions go up? Blocking took big hit. 

Liking the off-season 

Thumbs up to Julian Edelman, who has upped his game in the community service / goodwill category with Gronk retiring. For those that didn't know, Gronk was a staple in visiting sick kids at Boston area hospitals and spent hundreds of hours meeting, supporting, and playing with kids over his time in NE. With a retired Gronk dramatically cutting down on hospital visits, apparently Edelman has helped pick up some of the slack. I heard there were times that Gronk was there so long that they had to politely ask him to leave because visiting hours were ending (after like 8 hours with the kids).

My wife works in conjunction with Boston Children's Hospital, and a kid with cancer from our town recently had Edelman stop by to wish him well, take some pics, and leave some signed memorabilia. The boy was groggy from treatment and didn't remember much about it, so Edelman will be coming back to see him when he is more awake.

This is the side of sports that gets largely overlooked, as the players do stuff like this on their own time without any fanfare or media coverage.

So, looking at the schedule, what are we thinking? 12 wins?

This team has the potential to be rather dangerous I think.

Is that atomatic or due to amount? If it's amount that is huge.
Apparently it is a class B felony. I don't believe they even arrested him. He faces up to 7 years in prison, but with a clean record it's being reported he could just get a fine and probation. Also being discussed is if he would be suspended by the league and whether the Patriots would release him.

From what I have been seeing, if he is considered a first time offender by the league, he could face up to a 4-game suspension (but all the way down to no suspension at all if he has no other infractions on record). 

Apparently it is a class B felony. I don't believe they even arrested him. He faces up to 7 years in prison, but with a clean record it's being reported he could just get a fine and probation. Also being discussed is if he would be suspended by the league and whether the Patriots would release him.

From what I have been seeing, if he is considered a first time offender by the league, he could face up to a 4-game suspension (but all the way down to no suspension at all if he has no other infractions on record). 
So a little slappy wrist action seems like. ..Unless bill gets testy and wants to make an example?

So a little slappy wrist action seems like. ..Unless bill gets testy and wants to make an example?
Both the league and the Pats issued statements saying they are aware of the situation and will be monitoring the proceedings. Both say they will have no comments on the matter while the case is ongoing. I doubt the Pats will have anything to say about it, not even a little bit. We won't know anything until cut down day in 9 days. I doubt they would release him before then (and I doubt they would release him at all).

Both the league and the Pats issued statements saying they are aware of the situation and will be monitoring the proceedings. Both say they will have no comments on the matter while the case is ongoing. I doubt the Pats will have anything to say about it, not even a little bit. We won't know anything until cut down day in 9 days. I doubt they would release him before then (and I doubt they would release him at all).
I totally agree but it's been a while since Wild Bill Belichick has gone nuke. Makes me wonder if one of his good/great players were to go all off program enough to be linked to cocaine, he'd send a message. Probably not but... :tinfoilhat:

I totally agree but it's been a while since Wild Bill Belichick has gone nuke. Makes me wonder if one of his good/great players were to go all off program enough to be linked to cocaine, he'd send a message. Probably not but... :tinfoilhat:
Chung just signed an extension this off-season. They would have to eat a $7.5 million cap hit to release him. Not gonna happen. If it was only simple possession of a small quantity, I doubt they would care all that much. But if it was a large quantity with intent to distribute that might be different.

Chung just signed an extension this off-season. They would have to eat a $7.5 million cap hit to release him. Not gonna happen. If it was only simple possession of a small quantity, I doubt they would care all that much. But if it was a large quantity with intent to distribute that might be different.
Why I ask. Not that up on all things dark side...lol

7.5 mil buys a lot of trouble I'd guess.

super edit: Thanx for answering. 

It will be interesting to see if he plays the "Billy Ray was staying at my house and it was Billy Ray's coke" card.

Won't impact his legal defense or suspension defense; purely spin.

It will be interesting to see if he plays the "Billy Ray was staying at my house and it was Billy Ray's coke" card.

Won't impact his legal defense or suspension defense; purely spin.
Chung owns a home in NH and an alarm went off for a potential breaking and entering incident back in June. According to the police, they responded to the incident and said they had probably cause to enter the premises. Apparently they found the cocaine in the house. Chung was not home at the time. They convened a grand jury, which determined that there is enough evidence to think that a crime was committed, and they charged Chung with possession. That is all he is being charged with.

I suppose a savvy lawyer will assert that whomever entered the house planted the cocaine, but who knows what they found and where. One would assume it had to be in plain sight.

I'm hearing the media as having this defense as being near best in the league ...

I look at the names and think ... really?

Elandon Roberts .... Wise ... Van Noy ... Simon .... old men Bennett and Collins.

Is this really a top NFL defense now?

This NE defense on par with top defenses from a few years ago, (SEA, DEN)?

Or is it that the SB performance against a "deer in the headlights" QB is swaying lots of opinions? 

I'm hearing the media as having this defense as being near best in the league ...

I look at the names and think ... really?

Elandon Roberts .... Wise ... Van Noy ... Simon .... old men Bennett and Collins.

Is this really a top NFL defense now?

This NE defense on par with top defenses from a few years ago, (SEA, DEN)?

Or is it that the SB performance against a "deer in the headlights" QB is swaying lots of opinions? 
They have a decent blend of youth and veterans. They do have a very good and deep secondary. Because the secondary is good in coverage, that allows rushers more time to put pressure on and get to the quarterback. Add in some timely stunts and blitzes and they will make life tough on quarterbacks. It's a passing league, and if you can disrupt that, you are going to have a good defense. The LB group got better in adding Collins and Bentley coming back. Hightower, Van Noy, Collins, and Bentley are a pretty strong group.

They may do their usual and allow some longer drives and a fair amount of yards, but they probably will be pretty solid in limiting points. They won't be the 2000 Ravens, but they are probably on par with the 2014 Patriots.

C David Andrews with blood clots in his lungs, expected to miss “Significant” time and season may be in jeopardy. 

Duke Dawson(2nd round pick) traded to Broncos for a 6th/7th round pick swap in 2020 draft. OOOF, 2nd round D-back issues continue  :kicksrock:

Kraft... said:
Duke Dawson(2nd round pick) traded to Broncos for a 6th/7th round pick swap in 2020 draft. OOOF, 2nd round D-back issues continue  :kicksrock:
He was going to get cut. So something is better than nothing.

C David Andrews with blood clots in his lungs, expected to miss “Significant” time and season may be in jeopardy. 
With Patriots trading for Bodine, seems like missing the season is a good bet.

Unusual to see division trades. I would always question the wisdom of trading with the Patriots, but Bodine was terrible in Cinci and in Buffalo and would have been cut anyway.

Good luck to Brady if Bodine is their starter this year.

Unusual to see division trades. I would always question the wisdom of trading with the Patriots, but Bodine was terrible in Cinci and in Buffalo and would have been cut anyway.

Did Quinnen and Leonard Williams just salivate a little? 

NE has managed to take rejects from the Island of Misfit Toys and spare parts and made a living off of that for 18 years. They took Brown for SF and a year later turned him into the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. 

lost another O-lineman last night. Anyone know that deal?

Depth players needed there and Pats are getting desperate.

Pats likely hoping Scarnechia can "coach up" Bodine and the other as he's done so often with less than average talent.

On the other hand, Pats proving again that they can't coach CB's.

Amazing how they continue to draft quality / talented DB's early and turn them to fudge.

Feels like they coach out all of the players instincts and ball skills they showed in college and force them to play vanilla.

It's a position where the risk takers make the plays ... and NE will have NONE of that.

"don't ever jump a route to make a play on the ball .... keep everything in front of you and make the tackle"

I don't think they have developed a stud CB since Ty Law.

Users who are viewing this thread