What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (3 Viewers)

Cooks has Austin's speed, but he isn't anorexic in a ever growing NFL. He's a bit taller, 15+ pounds, bigger hands and longer arms. They both played in fast pace offenses, Cooks had better raw numbers and great numbers when you consider strength of opponent. They both have breakaway speed. Cooks can take a hit. He can work the middle more. He has a better feel for the game, to me. He doesn't just use speed as his main weapon. Like Steve Smith.. he can beat you is the short game, but he can also beat you deep and fight for jump balls. As far as small/speed recievers go he is flawless. He's a bit short but that's just nitpicking. So yea, he's a bigger, badder Tavon Austin. He just doesn't have the hype that will drive him to top-10 draft status.
You mentioned good reasons to like Cooks more than Austin, but Austin has pinball machine moves that Cooks doesn't have. I also don't think I've seen Austin drop an easy pass like I've seen Cooks do. With that said, Cooks does play like clone of Steve Smith.

Cooks has Austin's speed, but he isn't anorexic in a ever growing NFL. He's a bit taller, 15+ pounds, bigger hands and longer arms. They both played in fast pace offenses, Cooks had better raw numbers and great numbers when you consider strength of opponent. They both have breakaway speed. Cooks can take a hit. He can work the middle more. He has a better feel for the game, to me. He doesn't just use speed as his main weapon. Like Steve Smith.. he can beat you is the short game, but he can also beat you deep and fight for jump balls. As far as small/speed recievers go he is flawless. He's a bit short but that's just nitpicking. So yea, he's a bigger, badder Tavon Austin. He just doesn't have the hype that will drive him to top-10 draft status.
You mentioned good reasons to like Cooks more than Austin, but Austin has pinball machine moves that Cooks doesn't have. I also don't think I've seen Austin drop an easy pass like I've seen Cooks do. With that said, Cooks does play like clone of Steve Smith.
Cooks doesn't need moves. He just runs past people.

Austin dropped 5 passes out of 45 catchable balls. That's pretty horrible, considering his aDOT was only 7.8 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cooks doesn't need moves. He just runs past people.

Austin dropped 5 passes out of 45 catchable balls. That's pretty horrible, considering his aDOT was only 7.8 yards.
Everyone drops passes here and there. Cooks had a 76.2% catch rate with a whopping 168 targets. His hands are just fine.

Rotoworld:

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks moved up from No. 17 to No. 15 on Mel Kiper's big board.
Cooks debuted on the Big Board at No. 17 last week, so his stock clearly continues to rise. And with good reason, as Kiper notes: "Cooks has been the star of the draft process, backing up a season in which he couldn't be covered. He destroyed the combine. The small but explosive receiver ran a blazing 4.33, but also dominated in the agility drills and showed a great vertical to go with pretty good strength for a player his size. In fact, he now looks like a slightly more athletic version of Tavon Austin, and Austin was a top-10 pick last year. Cooks won't go as high, but it's fair to say the combine numbers match the ridiculous productivity." The MMQB's Peter King made the same comparison earlier this week, calling Cooks a "more physical" Austin. Cooks is going to go higher than folks currently think.

Source: ESPN Insider

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks is a "special athlete" and should be the third wide receiver drafted off the board.
"I know Beckham seems to be the trendy pick to be the 3rd WR drafted, but Brandin Cooks is still my guy after Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans. Special athlete," Brugler tweeted. Cooks' stock has continued to rise over the last couple of weeks after a strong outing at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Analysts have been super high on Cooks abilities, and he's drawn comparisons to Steve Smith and a "more physical" Tavon Austin as of late. Rotoworld's Josh Norris has him among the top 30 prospects in the draft.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt mentioned that Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks reminds him of a "faster Wes Welker."

Brandin Cooks had a 53% TD rate 10-0 yards from the goalline last year. That's 2nd behind Tommy Shuler, 55%

He's not your typical "small speedy" WR.

I don't have perfect comps for him, but IMO the closest fits are that he's a bigger and probably better version of Desean Jackson and T.Y. Hilton.

I wouldn't blame anyone who had him as the #1 WR in the class -- the gap between him and Evans/Watkins is smaller than most people have it at this point. He's going to be good value in rookie drafts if he falls to #5/6+.

I don't have perfect comps for him, but IMO the closest fits are that he's a bigger and probably better version of Desean Jackson and T.Y. Hilton.

I wouldn't blame anyone who had him as the #1 WR in the class -- the gap between him and Evans/Watkins is smaller than most people have it at this point. He's going to be good value in rookie drafts if he falls to #5/6+.
I wish my rookie draft was right now. I have a feeling that he will be top 6 pick by time the NFL draft is over.

I wish my rookie draft was right now. I have a feeling that he will be top 6 pick by time the NFL draft is over.
Sounds like he's moving up the ol' draft board.

reading Jets have a lot of interest in him for their 1srt rd pick....think he would be great with Decker.

Sounds like he's moving up the ol' draft board.
I expect 5 WR's to go in the 1st round and if they do then they'll be worthy of being top 6 rookie picks. RB's I'm not sold on and will be dependent on situation. I could also see Ebron cracking the top 6 if he goes to GB.

Before the combine I was hopeful I could get Cooks in the 2nd round. Now it looks like he won't even be available for my first round pick. :wall:

I need RBs and am stacked at WR already and I still might take Cooks at 1.3 (this is more like 1.6 because we have college rosters)

Before the combine I was hopeful I could get Cooks in the 2nd round. Now it looks like he won't even be available for my first round pick. :wall:
Me too. We should know it was never meant to be. He is too good to go unnoticed for long. I bet many August rookie drafts are going to have him going 3rd.

Rotoworld:

The Eagles are interested in Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks, "with head coach Chip Kelly particularly interested in the wideout," reports Eliot Shorr-Parks of NJ.com.
It's no surprise that Cooks has caught Kelly's eye, and he could become DeSean Jackson's replacement. Coming out of college, the players were the same height (5-foot-10), but Cooks is 14 pounds heavier (189 to 175) and a smidgen faster (4.33 forty to 4.35). Cooks also put up far superior numbers despite playing in only two more games (226 catches/3,272 yards/24 TDs compared to Jackson's 162/2,423/22 touchdown).

Source: NJ.com

Rotoworld:

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks has a meeting scheduled to visit with the Panthers.
Carolina, having recently lost wide receivers Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell to free agency, have a major need on the perimeter. Why not fill it with a prospect that many have compared to Smith himself? Cooks (5-foot-9 3/4, 185 pounds), a slot dynamo, put on a show at the combine, running a 4.33-second 40-yard dash. He's already visited with the Patriots. Cooks was asked whom he patterns his game after, and his answer should make Panthers' fans swoon. "Steve Smith, he's a great receiver and one of the best out there," Cooks said. "Being under six-foot, he's not one of the biggest receivers, but at the same time, he brings everything to the table that any other guy can. I definitely try to mold my game after a guy like that."

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks has a meeting scheduled to visit with the Panthers.
Carolina, having recently lost wide receivers Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell to free agency, have a major need on the perimeter. Why not fill it with a prospect that many have compared to Smith himself? Cooks (5-foot-9 3/4, 185 pounds), a slot dynamo, put on a show at the combine, running a 4.33-second 40-yard dash. He's already visited with the Patriots. Cooks was asked whom he patterns his game after, and his answer should make Panthers' fans swoon. "Steve Smith, he's a great receiver and one of the best out there," Cooks said. "Being under six-foot, he's not one of the biggest receivers, but at the same time, he brings everything to the table that any other guy can. I definitely try to mold my game after a guy like that."

Almost too obvious if he's there when the Panthers pick.

Rotoworld:

Evans is a better fit. His catch radius would help Cam for years. They should move up and draft him instead.

Rotoworld:

Evans is a better fit. His catch radius would help Cam for years. They should move up and draft him instead.
...because they're one WR away from putting it all together?

Rotoworld:

ESPN analyst Louis Riddick has heard that Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks' personality and charisma match his stellar play on the field.
"Nothing better than hearing that a very good NFL draft prospect has an even better personality, charisma, etc #BrandinCooks," Riddick tweeted. Teams that are looking to add a dynamic receiver in the second half of the first round, could easily be enticed to draft Cooks with their selection. Cooks has the ability to win inside and out while taking the top off a defense. He has drawn comparisons to Tavon Austin, Wes Welker, and most commonly Steve Smith.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks leaped five spots up to No. 21 overall on Daniel Jeremiah's big board published Tuesday.
"He catches a lot of quick-hitters in Oregon State's offense and he is at his best with the ball in his hands," the NFL.com scribe wrote. "He has the shiftiness to make defenders miss and the home-run speed to score from anywhere on the field. He is a very efficient route-runner when working back to the quarterback and he tracks the ball naturally over his shoulder on deep routes." Cooks abused Pac 12 defenses over the past two seasons, turning 95 catches into 2,881 yards and 21 touchdowns. He has drawn comparisons to Tavon Austin, Wes Welker, and Steve Smith. The Eagles, of one, are reportedly interested as they seek DeSean Jackson's replacement.

Brandin Cooks bold on replacing DeSean JacksonBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Brandin Cooks may not be in the same discussion with wide receivers Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans as potential top-10 picks in the NFL draft, but the former Oregon State star isn't bothering with comparisons to the rest of the draft class, anyway.

He's going straight for an NFL star.

The Philadelphia Eagles recently cut their top wide receiver in DeSean Jackson, and Cooks believes he could make Eagles fans forget about the abruptly-departed Jackson and his 1,332 receiving yards rather quickly.

"His game is unbelievable. The man can blow the top off, catch the deep routes, catch the underneath routes, produce in the return game. Heâs just special. Heâs a freak. I definitely admire his game," Cooks said, according to philly.com. "Maybe Chip Kelly is looking to take another speedy receiver in that first round, and that could be me. Who knows? And if that's the case, a lot of people will wonder 'Can he do it like DeSean Jackson?' In my opinion, I can do it like him and do it better."

Now that's a bold statement for a rookie-to-be, given that Jackson is coming off a career-best season in Kelly's first year as coach.

The Eagles hold the No. 22 overall pick in the draft, and a quartet of receivers -- Cooks, FSU's Kelvin Benjamin, LSU's Odell Beckham and Southern Cal's Marqise Lee -- are projected as late first-round possibilities.

Whether the Eagles want a receiver in the first round, however, is an entirely different question. NFL Media analysts Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis all project Philadelphia to bolster the Eagles defense with its first round pick, not a bad idea given that Philadelphia allowed 394 yards per game last year as the fourth-to-worst defense in the NFL.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread

Rotoworld:

...because they're one WR away from putting it all together?
and OL, and safety and corner. They arent moving up.

Wow. Not short on ego is he? Hasn't even taken one snap at the NFL level and he's already better than a well established WR1.

That moves him down a little for me. I may regret it because he may match his opinion of himself, but young WRs usually need to show some resiliency when they realize how fast the NFL is and how much better pro D players are than college players. The fall can be fast and deep.

Wow. Not short on ego is he? Hasn't even taken one snap at the NFL level and he's already better than a well established WR1.

That moves him down a little for me. I may regret it because he may match his opinion of himself, but young WRs usually need to show some resiliency when they realize how fast the NFL is and how much better pro D players are than college players. The fall can be fast and deep.
Show me a successful NFL WR who doesn't think he's as good as anyone in the league. Ego is a prerequisite for the position.

I don't get the negative reaction. Cooks is one of the most humble players in the draft and didn't exactly come from the best family background. He has every right to think highly of himself, especially when he's actually that good.

I don't get the negative reaction. Cooks is one of the most humble players in the draft and didn't exactly come from the best family background. He has every right to think highly of himself, especially when he's actually that good.
Agreed. Those comments actually bumped him up a nudge for me. I liked this guy a lot before and even better now. I'm definitely getting a Steve Smith vibe from him and I do think he will be the real deal. He might not show it immediately but he'll get there.

Show me a successful NFL WR who doesn't think he's as good as anyone in the league. Ego is a prerequisite for the position.
I think confidence is a positive trait. I think arrogance is a negative trait. The two can be confused, but that statement smacks of arrogance.

I think confidence is a positive trait. I think arrogance is a negative trait. The two can be confused, but that statement smacks of arrogance.
I don't think it "smacks" of arrogance at all. What does that even mean? He started off giving very high praise on DeSean and then closed with confidence in himself. DeSean is the arrogant one if u can remember some of his antics early on as he would stride into the endzone. I think u have the wrong read on Cooks. This guy will be a very good NFL WR.

I don't think it "smacks" of arrogance at all. What does that even mean? He started off giving very high praise on DeSean and then closed with confidence in himself. DeSean is the arrogant one if u can remember some of his antics early on as he would stride into the endzone. I think u have the wrong read on Cooks. This guy will be a very good NFL WR.
Just to make my position perfectly clear, my position is not that Cooks will be a lousy pro because of the comments. He very well could be a better pro than D Jackson. My position is that it might be worth considering that a guy who has never played a down in the NFL has taken the position that he is already a better NFL player than D Jackson. That's what he stated. That exceeds confidence IMO and certainly crossed the line to arrogance. There are ways to compare yourself to guys who are already pros without going there. It makes me wonder a little about whether he is another in a long line of very talented but egotistical WRs who might eventually evolve into a head case. Again - not projecting that is the course his career will follow, just that it might be worth considering.

Bronco Billy - What % of rookie WRs who think they are better than current NFL WRs become egotistical headcases? 1? 5? 10? 25? 75?

Bronco Billy - What % of rookie WRs who think they are better than current NFL WRs become egotistical headcases? 1? 5? 10? 25? 75?
I don't know. I don't care to know the number.

It's unfortunate that I have apparently insulted the Cooks proponents. I merely mentioned that Cooks stating overtly that he is already better than Jackson shows significant arrogance. For those who don't care - fine, ignore it. I'm not going to try to force you to think like I do. I think it's worth noting. It may mean nothing in the long run, but right now we have what he has done in college and what he says to evaluate him.

I don't know. I don't care to know the number.

It's unfortunate that I have apparently insulted the Cooks proponents. I merely mentioned that Cooks stating overtly that he is already better than Jackson shows significant arrogance. For those who don't care - fine, ignore it. I'm not going to try to force you to think like I do. I think it's worth noting. It may mean nothing in the long run, but right now we have what he has done in college and what he says to evaluate him.
You don't know but it's something. All players are capable of all sorts of things, but most of the time we discount them because they are so unlikely to do them. You apparently think that the likelihood of Cooks becoming a headcase is a large enough number to talk about it, but you won't say that. That's unfortunate.

I don't know. I don't care to know the number.It's unfortunate that I have apparently insulted the Cooks proponents. I merely mentioned that Cooks stating overtly that he is already better than Jackson shows significant arrogance. For those who don't care - fine, ignore it. I'm not going to try to force you to think like I do. I think it's worth noting. It may mean nothing in the long run, but right now we have what he has done in college and what he says to evaluate him.
You don't know but it's something. All players are capable of all sorts of things, but most of the time we discount them because they are so unlikely to do them. You apparently think that the likelihood of Cooks becoming a headcase is a large enough number to talk about it, but you won't say that. That's unfortunate.
I understand that you don't agree with me. Okay. We disagree. Have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread