What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Brandin Cooks, DAL (2 Viewers)

msudaisy26 said:
No it doesn't. Moss, Welker both came right in and dominated.  Amendola came in and looked like Edelman, until he got hurt, which was only like 2 weeks. 
Dominated?  Moss did: 22 catches, 401 yards (18.2 YPC), and 5 TDS, but those other guys?

Cooks has 10 catches, 256 yards, (25.6 YPC) & 2 TDs in his first 3 games as a Patriot.

Welker had 20 catches, 221 yards (11.1 YPC) & 1 TD in his first 3 games as a Patriot.

Amendola had 16 catches, 159 yards (9.9 YPC) & 0 TDs in his first 3 games as a Patriot (and that's ignoring the fact that he missed 3 games in between those 3 games played)

Edelman was with the Pats for 4 years before he became a regular player, but if you look at his first 4 games as a full-time starter (2013), he had 27 catches, 201 yards 7.4 YPC) & 0 TDs.

The only WR you named that was more dominant than Cooks has been was Moss.  Moss is, arguably, one of the top 2-3 WRs in the history of the NFL.  It's a bit unfair to say "Cooks hasn't been as dominant as Randy Moss was, he sucks!"

The only WR you named that was more dominant than Cooks has been was Moss.  Moss is, arguably, one of the top 2-3 WRs in the history of the NFL.  It's a bit unfair to say "Cooks hasn't been as dominant as Randy Moss was, he sucks!"
Tom Brady was also a 30 year old QB in his prime when Moss began his stint as a Patriot.  

Dominated?  Moss did: 22 catches, 401 yards (18.2 YPC), and 5 TDS, but those other guys?

Cooks has 10 catches, 256 yards, (25.6 YPC) & 2 TDs in his first 3 games as a Patriot.

Welker had 20 catches, 221 yards (11.1 YPC) & 1 TD in his first 3 games as a Patriot.

Amendola had 16 catches, 159 yards (9.9 YPC) & 0 TDs in his first 3 games as a Patriot (and that's ignoring the fact that he missed 3 games in between those 3 games played)

Edelman was with the Pats for 4 years before he became a regular player, but if you look at his first 4 games as a full-time starter (2013), he had 27 catches, 201 yards 7.4 YPC) & 0 TDs.

Nice work

That is nice that you just look at the stats, but they are different players. Amendola played hurt all year after his 1st game as a Patriot. Welker came over as an unknown, not a borderline all pro receiver, Moss was considered to be washed up. 

Plus this is who Cooks is, monster games and duds. After 3 or 4 years in the league I think he is who he is. 

need2know said:
Well one could argue cooks dominated 2 out of three games so far
Game 2 he should have had a TD too.....so he would have ended with 13 points. He was wide open for that TD. 

Cooks could havev easily have 5 TDs and 100 more yards too......

Last edited by a moderator:
That is nice that you just look at the stats, but they are different players. Amendola played hurt all year after his 1st game as a Patriot. Welker came over as an unknown, not a borderline all pro receiver, Moss was considered to be washed up. 

Plus this is who Cooks is, monster games and duds. After 3 or 4 years in the league I think he is who he is. 
Yep and a WR1 doing it normally.......but i agree with you he won't be the most consistent WR1 with the lack of targets.....if they move him to the slot more though.......

1) Did you even read Barrett's article. There is hard data that continues to prove out. How do YOU explain his league-largest gap in points per route against fast/slow CBs? 
Yep. He only used half of Cooks career targets in his sample size so this is hardly hard data.

2) Who is trying to promote what? I took someone else's proven system and applied it to existing CB's going forward as a basis for discussion. Nobody's promoting anything, but given this thread has devolved into a bunch of people locked into their own opinions, it's nice to discuss some actual data. 
The phrasing that Bill is following this authors "discovery" is using one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL to validate his faulty claim. Unless those are your words? In that case you are doing it for them.

Bottom line: Despite your flat-earther mentality, this is a very real phenomena. The only question is if it will continue to play out in the Patriots game-plan heavy system. Per analysis by someone far sharper than you or I, Early evidence of Bill's utilization of Cooks seems to indicate knowledge of this strength/weakness. 

If you're going to attempt to take a position of authority on his topic, I'll politely encourage you to strengthen your position beyond simply saying "I think this is nonsense". TIA 
Flat earther? Ha!! I am a geospatial scientist.

I already went over this when SSND first presented it in this thread or another. The data is incomplete and should not be considered hard fact or science.

The premise of this is to over simplify the WR vs cornerback match up into a test of pure speed. If things were this simple then we would just value players purely on their combine data which is already well known to be erroneous.

I took a look at my leagues and Cooks ranks 3rd, 4th, and 6th so far this year. Can't people just be happy with that? If he ended the season with those rankings . . . would people still be complaining because he wasn't consistent enough? All receivers have some off weeks. He is performing at a 1,365/11 TD pace. He will most likely start getting more receptions at a lower ypr rate moving forward, but I don't think his average yardage or TD output will drop that much.

WTF are you talking about?  None of what you posted changes the fact that none of those other WRs (sans Moss) dominated immediately, which was the point of your post that I replied to.  You made a false statement & are trying to move the goal posts by now saying "they weren't as established," "they were hurt," etc.  The facts are that those other WRs weren't dominant immediately, which was what you asserted.

I took a look at my leagues and Cooks ranks 3rd, 4th, and 6th so far this year. Can't people just be happy with that? If he ended the season with those rankings . . . would people still be complaining because he wasn't consistent enough? All receivers have some off weeks. He is performing at a 1,365/11 TD pace. He will most likely start getting more receptions at a lower ypr rate moving forward, but I don't think his average yardage or TD output will drop that much.
1800/20 or GTFO, bum. 

Yep. He only used half of Cooks career targets in his sample size so this is hardly hard data.

The phrasing that Bill is following this authors "discovery" is using one of the best coaches in the history of the NFL to validate his faulty claim. Unless those are your words? In that case you are doing it for them.

The premise of this is to over simplify the WR vs cornerback match up into a test of pure speed. If things were this simple then we would just value players purely on their combine data which is already well known to be erroneous.
Now I'm remembering why I had you on block. Not sure why I undid it, but remedying that immediately. 

You're either intentionally being obtuse, or just missing the point entirely. Nobody is implying that Belichick discovered this trend via the author, or my posting. The assertion was simply that his use of cooks indicates he or his staff have noticed the same splits. Cmon man.... don't be daft. 

Pure speed isn't the only indicator, but one ingredient being tabled for discussion. And pure speed for a short range slot guy is far less a factor than a burner running post routes where, in spite of your rebuttal, it plays a very large factor. 

Regardless... we're not going to see eye to eye... your position is noted. No sense in cluttering the thread with back and forth. Cheer.s 

Look he only used 165 targets of Cooks career targets of 315 in the sample size for this "hard data" and I believe Hankmoody provided a reasonable explanation for that in the combine data for the corners on those other 150 targets was not available.

This isn't hard data as you describe it as there is gaping hole in the data and therefore should not be considered conclusive.

As someone trying to talk about the scientific method I would think you might be open to its scrutiny and any data does require peer review of its validity.

I do not find it valid. Not only because of the methodologies used to arrive at the conclusion but also because of other research I have done and read over the years that shows very poor correlation between combine metrics and WR performance.

If you don't like me pointing that out then block me. No skin off my back. 

WTF are you talking about?  None of what you posted changes the fact that none of those other WRs (sans Moss) dominated immediately, which was the point of your post that I replied to.  You made a false statement & are trying to move the goal posts by now saying "they weren't as established," "they were hurt," etc.  The facts are that those other WRs weren't dominant immediately, which was what you asserted.
Keep using the stats. Amendola was dominate in his 1st game and looked like the next Welker, but he got hurt. Welker looked good, right away, his numbers suffered from the dominate of Moss. He'll Deion Branch looked like a total but with Seattle came back and jumped right back in. Cooks is a good player, but saying he needs time to create a report with Brady is wrong. 

You are better than using this small sample size. By your 3 game season you would have never got the benefit of his 3rd game because he would have gotten you eliminated week 2 with his dud. 

Keep using the stats. Amendola was dominate in his 1st game and looked like the next Welker, but he got hurt. Welker looked good, right away, his numbers suffered from the dominate of Moss. He'll Deion Branch looked like a total but with Seattle came back and jumped right back in. Cooks is a good player, but saying he needs time to create a report with Brady is wrong. 
"A report?"  What, is this a high school science class? 

Welkers first game he had 27 fewer yards than Cooks did.  Oh yeah, that's domination.

Amendola had 16 more yards than Cooks did.  What domination!

Branch had 5 fewer yards than Cooks did.  DOMINATION!

Keep making stuff up without bothering to fact-check yourself;  you come off looking foolish.

"A report?"  What, is this a high school science class? 

Welkers first game he had 27 fewer yards than Cooks did.  Oh yeah, that's domination.

Amendola had 16 more yards than Cooks did.  What domination!

Branch had 5 fewer yards than Cooks did.  DOMINATION!

Keep making stuff up without bothering to fact-check yourself;  you come off looking foolish.
Lol, sorry my phone auto corrected. The fact that you had to point it out means you have nothing. Like I said keep looking at the stats. Instead of considering the situation and watching the games like I did. You also don't consider the player. Cooks is considered one of the better receivers in the league. Welker, Branch,  and Amendola aren't. Good luck to you. 

By the way your report joke was bad, keep your day job. 

You are better than using this small sample size. By your 3 game season you would have never got the benefit of his 3rd game because he would have gotten you eliminated week 2 with his dud. 
Using 0 PPR scoring, Cooks had under 5 fantasy points in Week 2 this year. Using last year as a guide, lots of top receivers had low scoring weeks . . . 

Weeks with under 5 points last year:

Nelson - 2
Brown - 2
Thomas - 2
OBJ - 4
Hilton - 4
Jones - 4
Baldwin - 4
Adams - 5

Cooks had 5 such weeks last year. Not sure why folks want to hold Cooks to a different standard than everyone else. Is that one extra down week (compared to others) worthy of calling him out as a player that is radically inconsistent?

Using 0 PPR scoring, Cooks had under 5 fantasy points in Week 2 this year. Using last year as a guide, lots of top receivers had low scoring weeks . . . 

Weeks with under 5 points last year:

Nelson - 2
Brown - 2
Thomas - 2
OBJ - 4
Hilton - 4
Jones - 4
Baldwin - 4
Adams - 5

Cooks had 5 such weeks last year. Not sure why folks want to hold Cooks to a different standard than everyone else. Is that one extra down week (compared to others) worthy of calling him out as a player that is radically inconsistent?

Because Cooks has ideal situations. No injuries to him or his qb, bad defense, and a team that throws a ton. 

Let's go through your list. 

Nelson - did better than him, and looked rusty off his ACL injury for a few weeks, not sure if any of those games happened there. 

Brown - best receiver in the league, he shouldn't be held to this standard. 

Thomas - I am assuming his former teammate, who out dud him as a rookie. 

OBJ - That number us surprisingly high to me, part of it was Eli, part was their defense was so good and their offensive line was so bad, but fair point here. 

Hilton - I am sure Luck was out half those games or more. 

Julio - Another mild surprise, but he doesn't score a ton of touchdowns and they have a really good running game. 

Baldwin - was drafted 2 full rounds after Cooks last year, plus Wilson was playing hurt a lot of the year. 

Adams - Drafted way after Cooks, I actually don't consider him an Elite receiver. 

Within the past 10 years, except for 1 (ONE!) game of Amendola, it's has taken time for receivers to develop a rapport with Brady, gain his trust, and have him lock on you to reward you with targets. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Edelman is a tough example because he sat on the bench, Malcolm Mitchelll, Brandon LaFell, and Chris Hogan are some of the guys that picked it up production wise further down the season, into their next season.

Game 1: Brady underthrows Cooks twice leading to PIs instead of long catches

Game 2: Brady underthrows Cooks badly leading to a stop at the 1 yard line instead of a TD

Game 3: Brady underthrows Cooks on his first long reception, which Cooks has to stop for a make a great catch. Then again Brady underthrows Cooks on what should have been a 25 yard gain and instead it's at his feet.

Yes, with long passes the accuracy will suffer. But if in all those examples above, the the accuracy is better than Cooks is the #1 WR in fantasy football. Maybe the accuracy will be fixed the stronger the Brady/Cooks rapport becomes. Maybe Brady's 40 year old arm has difficulty matching Cooks' speed now. I'm just saying it's hard to overlook the potential with this connection, and that's saying something as Cooks is #4 WR in my league even with all those missed opportunites.

Within the past 10 years, except for 1 (ONE!) game of Amendola, it's has taken time for receivers to develop a rapport with Brady, gain his trust, and have him lock on you to reward you with targets. Gronkowski, Hernandez, Edelman is a tough example because he sat on the bench, Malcolm Mitchelll, Brandon LaFell, and Chris Hogan are some of the guys that picked it up production wise further down the season, into their next season.

Game 1: Brady underthrows Cooks twice leading to PIs instead of long catches

Game 2: Brady underthrows Cooks badly leading to a stop at the 1 yard line instead of a TD

Game 3: Brady underthrows Cooks on his first long reception, which Cooks has to stop for a make a great catch. Then again Brady underthrows Cooks on what should have been a 25 yard gain and instead it's at his feet.

Yes, with long passes the accuracy will suffer. But if in all those examples above, the the accuracy is better than Cooks is the #1 WR in fantasy football. Maybe the accuracy will be fixed the stronger the Brady/Cooks rapport becomes. Maybe Brady's 40 year old arm has difficulty matching Cooks' speed now. I'm just saying it's hard to overlook the potential with this connection, and that's saying something as Cooks is #4 WR in my league even with all those missed opportunites.
I don't count rookies. They are learning everything. As far as Hogan, he wasn't a starter last year, it was Amendola and Edelman. Lafell, isn't that good, Cooks is good. 

Lol, sorry my phone auto corrected. The fact that you had to point it out means you have nothing. Like I said keep looking at the stats. Instead of considering the situation and watching the games like I did. You also don't consider the player. Cooks is considered one of the better receivers in the league. Welker, Branch,  and Amendola aren't. Good luck to you. 

By the way your report joke was bad, keep your day job. 
"I have nothing?"  You keep saying "just keep looking at stats," but at the same time you have provided NOTHING to substantiate your domination nonsense.  You can keep saying "those other WRS were dominant right away," but that doesn't make it true.  Provide SOMETHING to support your ridiculous claim, please.  What are we basing domination on?  Receptions-because that is the only way you could claim any NE WR (other than Moss) was more dominant early than Cooks has been.

As far as building a rapport, which you seem to think is irrelevant, it seems that Pats reporters/beat writers disagree with you:

As one of the most talented wide receivers Brady has ever played with, building chemistry with Cooks will be important
LINK

Oh yeah, Brady himself confirmed that building a rapport with Cooks will take a long time.

"He and I are building up a rapport, but that takes a lot of time to be built.”
But let's not believe NE reporters, let's not believe Tom Brady himself, @msudaisy26 made a ridiculous statement that was impossible to back up-let's go with that. :rolleyes:

Damn man, you really should quit while you're behind.  Good day.

"I have nothing?"  You keep saying "just keep looking at stats," but at the same time you have provided NOTHING to substantiate your domination nonsense.  You can keep saying "those other WRS were dominant right away," but that doesn't make it true.  Provide SOMETHING to support your ridiculous claim, please.  What are we basing domination on?  Receptions-because that is the only way you could claim any NE WR (other than Moss) was more dominant early than Cooks has been.

As far as building a rapport, which you seem to think is irrelevant, it seems that Pats reporters/beat writers disagree with you:

LINK

Oh yeah, Brady himself confirmed that building a rapport with Cooks will take a long time.

But let's not believe NE reporters, let's not believe Tom Brady himself, @msudaisy26 made a ridiculous statement that was impossible to back up-let's go with that. :rolleyes:

Damn man, you really should quit while you're behind.  Good day.
Bravo! Bellissimo!

Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke

Brandin Cooks had 111 yards on deep passes on Sunday, tied for 3rd most for a Patriot in a game in the last 12 years.

=======================================

One thing to consider with Cooks is the injury to Phillip Dorsett.

Dorsett was being used as the deep threat prior to his injury so will he retake that role or did Cooks become the deep threat after last Sunday?

Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke

Brandin Cooks had 111 yards on deep passes on Sunday, tied for 3rd most for a Patriot in a game in the last 12 years.

=======================================

One thing to consider with Cooks is the injury to Phillip Dorsett.

Dorsett was being used as the deep threat prior to his injury so will he retake that role or did Cooks become the deep threat after last Sunday?
:lmao: at dorsett changing anything for cooks or hogan

:lmao: at dorsett changing anything for cooks or hogan
I saw an article that I can't find where it noted Dorsett was primarily running deep routes and that after his injury that Cooks would be running more of the deep routes.

In the game where Dorsett got injured he had his second highest receiving yardage game of his career.

He runs a 4.33 and he was one of only three WRs to dress in his second game.  Add, he was traded on Sept 2nd so he hadn't had much time with the team but was already making a contribution.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/9/18/16324284/in-second-game-with-new-england-patriots-phillip-dorsett-second-most-receiving-yards-of-nfl-career

In second game with Patriots, Phillip Dorsett posts second-most receiving yards of NFL career

Ex-Colt Phillip Dorsett secured three passes for 68 yards on Sunday.

by Oliver Thomas@OliverBThomas  Sep 18, 2017, 7:00am EDT

... Phillip Dorsett finished having caught three in New England’s 36-20 win over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday. He finished early due to a knee injury, but prior to his fourth-quarter exit, the 2015 first-round pick looked like a player who was well-adjusted, especially considering he wasn’t on the team until Sept. 2.

A good sign on an afternoon where only three wideouts dressed for the Patriots.

...A total of 38 of Dorsett’s receiving yards came on a diving deep corner route ...

...It was without safety help to the outside. It was a play tailored to Dorsett’s strengths.

I saw an article that I can't find where it noted Dorsett was primarily running deep routes and that after his injury that Cooks would be running more of the deep routes.

In the game where Dorsett got injured he had his second highest receiving yardage game of his career.

He runs a 4.33 and he was one of only three WRs to dress in his second game.  Add, he was traded on Sept 2nd so he hadn't had much time with the team but was already making a contribution.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/9/18/16324284/in-second-game-with-new-england-patriots-phillip-dorsett-second-most-receiving-yards-of-nfl-career
I see your point but you are missing an even more important one.

Phillip dorsett sucks.

Anyone who didn't see this coming a mile away obviously hasn't owned Cooks his entire career. In which case, you deserve to be punished for trading for him. 

Anyone who didn't see this coming a mile away obviously hasn't owned Cooks his entire career. In which case, you deserve to be punished for trading for him. 
Brady missed him on a throw today on what more than likely would have been a td, and missed him again when he was open. You can't put that on Cooks.

Trust me, as an owner I hope all these ifs and buts (excuses) amount to him producing consistently down the stretch, but I'll believe it when I see it. The guy has patented putting up these fugly performances after monster game, despite playing with 2 of the top 3-4 QBs of the past 20 years. It is what it is. I'm more than used to it at this point. You can't bench him, you just have to live with the duds. 

Hopefully he'll blow up in the 4th Q and prove me wrong for 1 day at least.

Heh, this is just sad. Cooks is a complete afterthought.

Brady's order of preference:

1. Gronk

2. Hogan

3. White

4. Gisele

5. Amendola

6. Welker

7. who's that guy we traded a 1st rounder for again?  :oldunsure:

I think it is time for the fantasy community to accept that Cook is a better real player than fantasy player and adjust his draft position. He is being drafted as a mid to low wr1 in fantasy, and he should be going as a mid wr2. All receivers are inconsistent, but his are even more maddening because he couldn't have had better situations. 2 of the best qbs ever, on teams that throw a ton, with crappy defenses, and other weapons so he doesn't get all the attention.

In real football I still think he is one of the top 10ish receivers in the league, his presence on the field has to always be accounted for because of his speed and ability to take any pass to the end zone. On any deep route he is drawing a safety to his side of the field because he can beat any corner in the league, which helps the tight ends and even the run game, but there are a lot of games where he will be the decoy or teams will take his ability to get deep with a safety and good offensive qbs, like Brady and Brees will take advantage.

I think it is time for the fantasy community to accept that Cook is a better real player than fantasy player and adjust his draft position. He is being drafted as a mid to low wr1 in fantasy, and he should be going as a mid wr2. All receivers are inconsistent, but his are even more maddening because he couldn't have had better situations. 2 of the best qbs ever, on teams that throw a ton, with crappy defenses, and other weapons so he doesn't get all the attention.

In real football I still think he is one of the top 10ish receivers in the league, his presence on the field has to always be accounted for because of his speed and ability to take any pass to the end zone. On any deep route he is drawing a safety to his side of the field because he can beat any corner in the league, which helps the tight ends and even the run game, but there are a lot of games where he will be the decoy or teams will take his ability to get deep with a safety and good offensive qbs, like Brady and Brees will take advantage.
lol Brady has cost him 2 tds and 50 yards at least this season.....He's not the one throwing bad passes. He's the one open by 5 yards and being missed. Shrug. Happy he's on my team. 

lol Brady has cost him 2 tds and 50 yards at least this season.....He's not the one throwing bad passes. He's the one open by 5 yards and being missed. Shrug. Happy he's on my team. 
You realize this happens to every player in the league, Cooks isn't special in that regard. Ben missed Brown for a 60 yard td today too.

I'm 1-3. Guess which game I won. 

End of the year he'll have great numbers but there's gonna be a lot of boom and bust. He probably won't have many 8-100-0 games. Good wr2.

Can some one provide a list of all these WRs that are so consistent from week to week?
Here is the standard deviation of the top 30 WRs through 4 weeks ranked from highest to lowest consistency

Allen, Keenan LAC WR

Jones, Julio ATL WR

Parker, DeVante MIA WR

Evans, Mike TBB WR

Bryant, Dez DAL WR

Hopkins, DeAndre HOU WR

Hurns, Allen JAC WR

Jeffery, Alshon PHI WR

Matthews, Rishard TEN WR

Thomas, Michael NOS WR

Green, A.J. CIN WR

Thielen, Adam MIN WR

Garcon, Pierre SFO WR

Adams, Davante GBP WR

Tate, Golden DET WR

Baldwin, Doug SEA WR

Kearse, Jermaine NYJ WR

Hogan, Chris NEP WR

Sanders, Emmanuel DEN WR

Shepard, Sterling NYG WR

Hill, Tyreek KCC WR

Funchess, Devin CAR WR

Nelson, J.J. ARI WR

Brown, Antonio PIT WR

Hilton, T.Y. IND WR

Beckham, Odell NYG WR

Nelson, Jordy GBP WR

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR

Watkins, Sammy LAR WR

Cooks, Brandin NEP WR

Diggs, Stefon MIN WR

Crabtree, Michael OAK WR

Here is the standard deviation of the top 30 WRs through 4 weeks ranked from highest to lowest consistency
Well half that list are mediocre options so being consistently mediocre isn't all that helpful either and even the top guys like Julio, Brown, Jordy, OBJ and Diggs have had some stinkers.

I really think some people tend to over exaggerate the inconsistency with Cooks and concentrate on the down weeks instead of enjoying his big weeks. Over the course of the season he's likely to win you as many games as he costs you.

Can some one provide a list of all these WRs that are so consistent from week to week?
It isn't just this year, there is data of this back since he was a Saint. Scroll back a few pages there is data that Anarchy posted and I disputed. He had 5 games under 8 or 10 points in ppr and ranked them against other players. He was the pretty much the least consistent despite having the perfect situation.

Users who are viewing this thread