What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2014 NFL Draft All-Overrated Team: Vanderbilt WR Jordan Matthews (2 Viewers)

his numbers last night don't matter any more than they did the previous two weeks. what DOES matter is that he was running as the WR3 along with maclin and cooper. it looks like he has claimed the job he was originally slated for by the 3rd preseason game.
Or he was given the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
4.46 is over 40 yards, are you saying it did not look like a 1.55 split? Kid is strong, smart. It shows, he's learning inside/out. I didn't see any deep targets for him tonight.
Looked slow with the ball in his hands in space
I'm a huge Matthews fan, and I agree with you. Slow is maybe a bit harsh, but definitely did not look explosive. That said, he also looks bigger than I remember him in college. I think he's already put on 5 or more lbs of muscle.
He's not a quick twitch athlete, meaning he will never be "explosive". But he can run good routes, use his body, and develop into a solid guy. I don't think he's a #1, and I think it will take him longer than people expect. Looks an awful lot like Roy E. to me. I think he can succeed as a good #2 possession type.

He is a high effort guy with good/great measurables but there seems like a lot of wasted motion when he tries to run fast and elude. Like he's doing a lot but not going anywhere and gets tackled immediately. In a great system though.

4.46 is over 40 yards, are you saying it did not look like a 1.55 split? Kid is strong, smart. It shows, he's learning inside/out. I didn't see any deep targets for him tonight.
Looked slow with the ball in his hands in space
I'm a huge Matthews fan, and I agree with you. Slow is maybe a bit harsh, but definitely did not look explosive. That said, he also looks bigger than I remember him in college. I think he's already put on 5 or more lbs of muscle.
He's not a quick twitch athlete, meaning he will never be "explosive". But he can run good routes, use his body, and develop into a solid guy. I don't think he's a #1, and I think it will take him longer than people expect. Looks an awful lot like Roy E. to me. I think he can succeed as a good #2 possession type.
That's my take more or less and very similar to Bloom's assessment that started this thread. There are a lot of good things to like about Matthews and, given the right situation, he should have some success in the NFL. I just don't see him as a true NFL #1 let alone the Fitzgerlad/AJ Green/TO combo that some others seem to see.

Unfortunately this thread will be bumped every week throughout the season if Mathews has a good game, or if he doesn't, as everyone has an apparent need for instant justification of their position and an I told you so/I was right mentality.

I do think Philly can be a good situation for him though and again like a lot of his qualities to be a solid NFL WR. But I don't see him as being close to the #1WR in this class or the even loftier expectations that many here have for him. As always time will tell.

For a guy who is supposedly a good route runner already he doesn't seem to run many complex routes or deep routes. It seems more like Philly is focusing him on short routes right now. Am I seeing that correctly?

For a guy who is supposedly a good route runner already he doesn't seem to run many complex routes or deep routes. It seems more like Philly is focusing him on short routes right now. Am I seeing that correctly?
That is what I am seeing also. I haven't seen him successful on any routes down field as of yet.

That is what I am seeing also. I haven't seen him successful on any routes down field as of yet.
So why are people saying he's a good route runner?

Jurb- I would stop questioning Matthews talent with the route tree BS.... The what about this/that BS...

It is VERY apparent to me that he is gonna be a good one...

Maybe clear your head and watch him play with a fresh set of eyes....

Maybe then you will see what I and many others see....

The people who own him or are high on him will continue to defend their position. I own him in multiple leagues and while it is too early to bail on him, I am not excited about what I see on the field.

To me it looks like Bloom is right about him being overrated, but Matthews is a hard worker so I am holding onto that

Screens and drag routes will only get you so far in the regular season. I hope they are keeping him hidden, or something of that nature...

The comps he gets to Colston seem about right IMO
Buried somewhere in this thread I thought that was the comp that made the most sense to me too. Matthews has more straight line speed but I think a Colston type career would be very nice success for him.

Jurb- I would stop questioning Matthews talent with the route tree BS.... The what about this/that BS...

I see a guy who Philly has running a very limited route tree and it consists primarily of short area routes. There is nothing wrong with that given he is a rookie. It's odd that people are sighting him as a good route runner, though.

I see a guy who Philly has running a very limited route tree and it consists primarily of short area routes.There is nothing wrong with that given he is a rookie. It's odd that people are sighting him as a good route runner, though.
His scouting report was unanimous that he was a good route runner, which is why people cite it. Certainly it could be that it hasnt taken in the NFL yet.

But absence of evidence isnt evidence of absence. Its Kelly's offense... and its a West Coast offense. Short routes are the most important routes. CK does things his own way. If he coaches by forcing the rooks to learn a couple basic things over and over and over again, that doesnt necessarily prove anything about Matthews one way or another. Fwiw his routes have looked crisp and he's settled nicely in zones so far in preseason from what i've seen.

his numbers last night don't matter any more than they did the previous two weeks. what DOES matter is that he was running as the WR3 along with maclin and cooper. it looks like he has claimed the job he was originally slated for by the 3rd preseason game.
Or he was given the job.
Then why wasnt he given the job the first day of camp?
Same reason as Lane Johnson last year maybe? I think there was an article posted (maybe in this thread) of how Chip works in rookies throughout camp.

Or he was given the job.
Same reason as Lane Johnson last year maybe? I think there was an article posted (maybe in this thread) of how Chip works in rookies throughout camp.
No I get it- but he was taking a slap at the guy saying he was handed a job, it makes you wonder why he wasnt given the job immediately. Once you stipulate he had to earn it somehow... well he wasnt given the job.

I see a guy who Philly has running a very limited route tree and it consists primarily of short area routes.There is nothing wrong with that given he is a rookie. It's odd that people are sighting him as a good route runner, though.
According to the play-by-play, Foles threw 33 passes (4 came back for penalties) last night. 27 were short passes. Its the offense.

mbuehner said:
cloppbeast said:
WagesOfZin said:
Or he was given the job.
Lip service competition :shrug:

mbuehner said:
cloppbeast said:
WagesOfZin said:
Or he was given the job.
Lip service competition :shrug:
Non negate-able premise.

Or he was given the job.
Kelly basically said that the first team can run the whole playbook and in practices the pace is fast, so at first you don't want someone learning the plays to slow down the practice, instead matthews was running w 2nd team early on to get more reps (and film) for him to assess strengths, etc.

Very much looking forward to tonight's game, if for nothing else, than a prime time matchup involving two of the most polarizing players in the SP, Matthews and Richardson.

I've posted several times in this thread that I think Mathews can be a solid WR but did not see the All Pro potential that many here do. But admittedly, my opinion has been formed on limited watching of youtube highlights and cut ups. I can't honestly say I've watched a full Vanderbilt football game.....well ever.

And I know it's only the kids 2nd NFL game so it will be WAY too early for either side to feel validated, though we know those posts will occur. Four rookie WRs have posted notable FF games in the first 2 weeks of this season. Will Matthews be the 5th?

Very much looking forward to watching the game and reading the SP tonight.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews caught 1-of-4 targets for 17 yards in the Eagles' Week 2 win over the Colts.

Matthews played in three-wide sets out of the slot, as expected. On his lone catch, Matthews caught an earful from coach Chip Kelly for not getting out of bounds. As the fifth or sixth option in the passing game, Matthews isn't start-able in fantasy. He won't have value unless there are injuries in Philadelphia.

Sep 16 - 12:37 AM

I have to say I have not been impressed with Matthews so far. He is not going to get a ton of opportunities off the bat, so he has to catch those. He has not been doing that.

The posters in here who questioned his hands seem to be on the mark. However if he makes great plays in practice and preseason and then drops balls in games, there may be problem in his head (feeling the pressure) than

really a hands problem. Either way, he is not getting the job done. It's a long season, though, so let's see how it plays out.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews - WR - Eagles

Coach Chip Kelly said the team isn't concerned about rookie Jordan Matthews' dropped passes.

"Some of it is just concentration, fingertips, eyes to the catch, make sure you're tucking it away," Kelly said. "Little fundamental things." The Eagles credited Matthews with two, possibly even three, drops against the Colts last week when he secured just 1-of-4 targets. It's not Matthews' first bout with drops as a pro; he dropped two or three balls in the preseason opener. Matthews, who's playing the slot for the Eagles, is more focused on his run blocking.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

Sep 19 - 9:30 AM

Almost all rookie WRs start slow, and the majority of their stats come in the 2nd half of the season.

I've made the mistake of cutting rookie WRs in the past after 3-4 crappy weeks, then seen them start for other teams a few weeks later. Blackmon was one of them.

Matthews does play on one of the top offenses, and Maclin is the only guy in front of him. There is absolutely nothing special about Maclin. I'm holding an waiting a few more weeks at least.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Matthews caught eight passes for 59 yards with two touchdowns in Sunday's Week 3 win over the Redskins.

The second-round rookie's breakout performance was highlighted by two red-zone touchdowns in which he simply beat LB Perry Riley up the seam. He also showed incredibly strong hands on a sideline catch. Matthews is a fine WR4 kind of fantasy player, but realize this game was against a really bad Redskins pass defense and expect inconsistency going forward in the Eagles' spread the wealth scheme. Matthews had just three catches for 54 yards and no TDs in the first two weeks, and isn't playing in two-wide sets yet (Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin are).

Sep 21 - 5:05 PM

Breakout game going on so far for sure. Made a couple of difficult catches look easy.
Went against Perry Riley for much of the day. Not every team will be dumb enough to cover him with LBs...
It's a pick your poison. If you go nickel, the Eagles just run it down your throat. If you go with a base, they send Ertz or Matthews against a LB. Once Kelly gets a personnel grouping he can exploit, he does. The other teams defense determines who has the big game, the Eagles just take what they're given.

Been pumping him all offseason, the week I cut him from all my redraft teams, he goes nuts. Thanks alot Jordan!

Breakout game going on so far for sure. Made a couple of difficult catches look easy.
Went against Perry Riley for much of the day. Not every team will be dumb enough to cover him with LBs...
It's a pick your poison. If you go nickel, the Eagles just run it down your throat. If you go with a base, they send Ertz or Matthews against a LB. Once Kelly gets a personnel grouping he can exploit, he does. The other teams defense determines who has the big game, the Eagles just take what they're given.
Agreed. I'm just saying it would be wise to temper expectations. It's not like he was outside roasting Hall or Amerson. He has a lot of potential for sure, but there are many stinker weeks coming. Don't get cute and start him if you aren't having bye week blues...

Agreed. I'm just saying it would be wise to temper expectations. It's not like he was outside roasting Hall or Amerson. He has a lot of potential for sure, but there are many stinker weeks coming. Don't get cute and start him if you aren't having bye week blues...
hater

Matthews had 8 receptions yesterday. Cooper has 9 total receptions in three weeks. He might as well be a blocking tight end.

I think you can begin to trust Matthews as a WR3 in a PPR.

Users who are viewing this thread