What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (5 Viewers)

1010 XL / 92.5 FM@1010XL
 Mar 1
.@ryanohalloran asked by @md_1010xl to play oddsmaker for Allen Robinson's future in JAX:

"I'll say 100% no tag. For the #Jaguars in 2018, I'm going to go below 50% now. Sort of a turn a little bit, he [Dave Caldwell] is mentioning the future contracts unprompted"

#JaguarsToday

1010 XL / 92.5 FM@1010XL
 Mar 1
.@ryanohalloran asked by @md_1010xl to play oddsmaker for Allen Robinson's future in JAX:

"I'll say 100% no tag. For the #Jaguars in 2018, I'm going to go below 50% now. Sort of a turn a little bit, he [Dave Caldwell] is mentioning the future contracts unprompted"

#JaguarsToday
Interesting take. I wonder what is driving that opinion. 

I wonder if the Bortles extension made them wary of making another big investment in the offense?
Just my opinion, but they freed up space by shifting $10M out of this year into future years with his extension. That makes it seem to me that they were more likely to try to resign ARob or at the very least franchise him.

Just my opinion, but they freed up space by shifting $10M out of this year into future years with his extension. That makes it seem to me that they were more likely to try to resign ARob or at the very least franchise him.
They are also rolling $27M over from last year.

They are also rolling $27M over from last year.
True, but without which they actually would have been over the cap. Prior to the Bortles extension and cutting Ivory they only had about $18M in space including rollover, not enough to franchise ARob at almost $16M (if they had to or the desire to) and sign any FA's or their 2018 draft picks without having to make some other moves.

Last edited by a moderator:
RosterWatch‏Verified account @RosterWatch

FollowFollow @RosterWatch

Surprisingly, a trusted league source told us today to expect the #Jaguars to keep Marqise Lee, NOT ARob

4:15 PM - 4 Mar 2018

Surprisingly, a trusted league source told us today to expect the #Jaguars to keep Marqise Lee, NOT ARob

I can't remember which Jags beat writer it was but just yesterday I read an article by him breaking down how the WR's would look if Robinson remained or not. He gave a few scenarios and at the end said something like "notice how no scenarios involve Lee?" and went on to say that is because there has been no discussion of him returning at all. For sure a totally different report on Lee with only consistent takeaway from what I'd been reading and what you posted is that retaining Robinson is looking bleaker by the day, as in everyday that goes by they don't use the tag on him.

I don't know what ARob will cost on the open market, but I like him at a low end WR1 salary.

matuski said:
GB, Det, Sea, NE, SD.. a number of QBs could make him shine.
SF doesn't have an NFL caliber WR over 6' tall, Robinson (at 6'3") would be the perfect big red zone threat they are missing.

I won't believe the Jags will let him go until it happens.

ARob's twitter, right around the same time that report came out...

Allen Robinson II‏Verified account @Thee_AR15 5h5 hours ago

You reap what you sow
ETA: He also deleted "player for the Jacksonville Jaguars" from his bio on twitter.

Allen Robinson II‏Verified account @Thee_AR15 5h5 hours ago

You reap what you sow

His team was one game away from the Super Bowl. Don't be bitter AR. Hopefully he is healed and we can see what he looks like with a decent QB. 

I think it’s cap management.  The same reason why they extended Bortles even though they aren’t crazy about him.  They’re willing to make do with what they currently have at WR and want the cap flexibilty to improve elsewhere.
Makes sense...they have some real talent on D that they are going to have to pay at some point as well...

GB, Det, Sea, NE, SD.. a number of QBs could make him shine.

Most of those teams are pretty crowded at the wr position

From a ff persepctive you want him in sanfran where his competitiin for targets will be low
Cleveland isn't and they lap those teams in terms of cap space.

From a biased perspective I want him in Cleveland.

Is the shine off of corey coleman? They have josh gordon and a first round te they spent capital on last year as well.
Coleman had one good game his rookie season then got injured and hasn't been the same.

Gordon lost his hearing and is under contract for two years at the minimum.  

IF he makes it two years without screwing up the team would be looking at a $16 million per year contract decision.

It is a no-brainer to use some excess cap space on A-Rob and see who of A-Rob or JG would get that long term deal down the line.

Jason B. Hirschhorn‏Verified account @by_JBH

FollowFollow @by_JBH

More

The Jaguars reportedly won't franchise Allen Robinson and the Bears don't plan to franchise Kyle Fuller (per @BradBiggs). That's a lot of talent that didn't seem likely to hit the market as recently as a week ago.

7:26 AM - 5 Mar 2018

Allen Robinson II✔@Thee_AR15

Twitter Be reachin Lol

9:06 PM - Mar 4, 2018

I think it’s cap management.  The same reason why they extended Bortles even though they aren’t crazy about him.  They’re willing to make do with what they currently have at WR and want the cap flexibilty to improve elsewhere.
Agreed.  Truth is they had a strong season last year without him and may now believe he's more a luxury than necessity.  I could definitely see them sticking with Lee, Westbrook & Cole (both of whom are young and have growth ahead of them)....and drafting a bigger guy in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.  

Coleman had one good game his rookie season then got injured and hasn't been the same.

IF he makes it two years without screwing up the team would be looking at a $16 million per year contract decision.

It is a no-brainer to use some excess cap space on A-Rob and see who of A-Rob or JG would get that long term deal down the line.
He's deaf?

I would often think Robinson isn't that good and then wow he flew by a DB deep. I must've felt this way during at least a dozen games.

Is he really that good? 

I don't much care for Lee outside. He looks good in the slot and I"m always googling how tall he is because somehow he seems taller than most slot WRs at 6 foot. I think he looks uncomfortable outside.

DeDe followed up an excellent college career with almost an immediate impact. I'm always impressed with the rookies that are good right away. Cole didn't do much til DeDe played. 

The Jaguars remade Bortles and only let him do what he was capable of in a super stripped down playbook and then added to it and added to it. I wouldn't give up on him. He was a fine young player, dopey like Vinny T, then remade. How old is he 26? Backup QBs are junk in the NFL. There are so few good ones. I'd get Bortles some competition and start the best, comfy with the notion that a capable backup is around. Hasn't he thrown for 4k most years? That ain't nothing for a young QB and it's way better than most backups are capable of.

I think your all missing the offensive progress when the Jags lost Robinson and Hurns. We all panicked, sure do remember that for FF, but in reality we were panicking about an ineffective, putrid passing game. They didn't even throw 100 yards, 150 was like every other week.

Once Cole and Westbrook got comfy, things clicked. Bortles was like 70% for 300 yards the last 4-5 weeks. Arob wasn't a part of that and IIRC Hurns wasn't either. Their beast of a runner was worn down, tired, and banged up too. He didn't do much either. (I do it too) It's like we discuss how they're a bunch of lesser players but want the less productive name players to return. It's probably time we admit some fault here for FF- The Jags were way better without the Allens.

As far as free agency and the draft and all- why wouldn't you expect progress from Westbrook and Cole? Lee played well when they didn't have to force it to him too. I'm not really a Corey Grant fan but he's probably fine as a 4th WR. They could add more talent, sure anyone can, but they don't have to. 70% 300 yards per game is about as good as it gets. 

Hang on a sec

OK Yeah the Titans owned Bortles the last week but the prior four, geesh they were good https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00/gamelog/

Nothing in those stats says "let's sign a guy coming off ACL for big money." There's just no need. 

I saw chemistry mentioned above, but I remember some funny twitter brief videos where ARob was calling out Bortles during camp for bad throws. If it's often enough that someone thinks to grab their phone, idk if the chemistry is as good as was previously stated

What hearing?

What hearing?
He was selected in the 2012 NFL supplemental draft.  He would have been eligible for free agency after 4 years but he has faced suspensions that erased over two years of playing status so instead of being an URFA he is an ERFA (Exclusive Rights Free Agent).

He  won't become an URFA until 2020.

--------------------------------------------------

Joel Corry@corryjoel

Yes. Browns only need to give Josh Gordon a 1 year tender at the minimum salary for the number of credited seasons he's earned & he's an exclusive rights player in 2018. That tender should be $790,000. It's a pay cut on seasonal basis. Gordon's 2017 seasonal rate is $1,068,406.

11:02 AM - Dec 4, 2017

He was selected in the 2012 NFL supplemental draft.  He would have been eligible for free agency after 4 years but he has faced suspensions that erased over two years of playing status so instead of being an URFA he is an ERFA (Exclusive Rights Free Agent).

He  won't become an URFA until 2020.
I know his history, but his ERFA status has never been in doubt, so what hearing are you talking about?

I was looking.  It may have been after a previous suspension or during a time when he was facing a suspension.  The time lines of JG stories are all mixed up due to the number of suspensions.  

It may have been agent speak or even  conjecture by a beat writer but their is no way I would have known that without seeing it reported but I can't track down the source but it was out there.

The fact he won't see URFA until 8 years after he got drafted is remarkable.  He should be making $16 million a year but his base salary is below $1 million.

The point is he's a bargain if he can keep clean.

I was looking.  It may have been after a previous suspension or during a time when he was facing a suspension.  The time lines of JG stories are all mixed up due to the number of suspensions.  

It may have been agent speak or even  conjecture by a beat writer but their is no way I would have known that without seeing it reported but I can't track down the source but it was out there.

The fact he won't see URFA until 8 years after he got drafted is remarkable.  He should be making $16 million a year but his base salary is below $1 million.

The point is he's a bargain if he can keep clean.
Ok there was definitely misinformation thrown out earlier by PFT about his status that Graziano quickly corrected but he never had a hearing about it his status.  

So the consensus opinion is that ARob will not be tagged and therefore become a FA?
Probably, but it all changes so fast. 3 days ago the consensus was that he'd almost certainly be back in Jax. 

It's also worth noting that he back peddled a bit in the Twitter stuff and said people are reading too much into it. 

After all the frustration he had towards Blake Bortles... if I was him I'd walk into Coughlin's office and be like "I'M OUT!"

Like... he doesn't need the agita. Go to a team you can flourish and get paid. It's not too different from the Ingram situation except instead of teh coach hating him, Bortles hates throwing accurate passes. 

Smart move by the Jags to not tag him.  They do not need to overspend on him when they have a roster of good young WRs who are much cheaper.  Robinson's best season was a garbage yards-laden season anyway, so who knows how good he really is. 

Users who are viewing this thread