What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Allen Robinson, Free Agent (3 Viewers)

Yea, it's way too early to call this. Most of the Twitter folks had Robinson as the MVP of the rookie camp. Doesn't mean it will hold.

I've talked about it in the past, but it's actually pretty common to see teams use two picks on rookie WRs only to watch the lower pick outperform the other.

Look at these duos. It might be surprise now, but the guy on the left was picked higher in the same draft in every case:

Brian Quick/Chris Givens

Emmanuel Sanders/Antonio Brown

Arrelious Benn/Mike Williams

Juaquin Iglesias/Johnny Knox

Brian Robiskie/Mohamed Massaquoi

Bryant Johnson/Anquan Boldin

If a team takes one guy ahead of the other on draft day, that usually means they have him ranked higher....on that exact day in time.

That may or may not say anything about who will perform the best and ultimately achieve the most success. Certainly in the cases of Boldin and Mike Williams it became clear almost immediately that they were better than the other guy their team picked. Those guys generated a huge buzz in training camp/preseason before having big rookie years. It didn't matter at that point that Johnson and Benn were picked higher.

I see this Lee/Robinson battle being less lopsided. I think both guys have some real merit. It's no mystery what Lee is. Dynamic athlete with spotty hands and a small frame. He's undersized and he'll drop balls, but everyone knows he can play the game. I think he's more explosive than Robinson purely as an athlete. So I don't see him vanishing without a trace ala Quick/Benn/Iglesias. At the same time, Robinson is a bigger and perhaps more versatile target who more closely resembles a top outside #1 WR due to his size, jump ball skills, and possession game. Wouldn't be a huge shock to see him make a considerable impact as a rookie regardless of whatever a speculated depth chart in May says.
Good post, but what would the list look like where a team takes two WRs and the one drafted first ended up doing best?

One difficulty with either exercise, there may not be a lot of cases where two WRs were taken in the same round and as high as the second.

I read recently that JAX may be looking to extend Shorts?

I also like both Lee and and Robinson and think they can both do well, hopefully Bortles fulfills his potential, smart draft by JAX to add two WR weapons for him so they can grow together.

Good post, but what would the list look like where a team takes two WRs and the one drafted first ended up doing best?

One difficulty with either exercise, there may not be a lot of cases where two WRs were taken in the same round and as high as the second.

I read recently that JAX may be looking to extend Shorts?

I also like both Lee and and Robinson and think they can both do well, hopefully Bortles fulfills his potential, smart draft by JAX to add two WR weapons for him so they can grow together.
I only have the data going back to 2011 that I can easily look up.

Here are the WR's duos picked in the first 5 rounds:

Pettis(3)/Salas(4)

Hankerson(3)/N. Paul(5)

Quick(2)/Givens(4)

Posey(3)/Martin(4)

Sanu(3)/M. Jones(5)

Wright(4)/Childs(4)

Austin(1)/Bailey(3)

Woods(2)/Goodwin(3)

Dobson(2)/Boyce(4)

Lee(2)/Robinson(2)

Matthews(2)/Huff(4)

Richardson(2)/Norwood(4)

Austin/Bailey and Woods/Goodwin would seem to be the most comparable to Lee/Robinson since it's the only one will two WR's taken in the first 3 rounds.

More news on Robinson:

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jaguars rookie receiver Allen Robinson will miss several weeks with a hamstring injury.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Robinson suffered the injury on a long pass play late in last Wednesday's OTA. He did not participate in Thursday's workout because he attended the NFLPA's rookie premiere. The Jaguars have OTAs on Tuesday and Thursday and four more next week before a mandatory minicamp June 17-19.

Coach Gus Bradley said he's not sure when Robinson, one of two receivers the Jaguars drafted in the second round, will be able to return.

"We'll see how it goes," he said. "It was unfortunate. Long pass and he tweaked it a little bit. He's getting treatment. He's doing things right. We'll see how fast he comes along."

Robinson caught 177 passes for 2,474 yards and 17 touchdowns in three seasons at Penn State. He had 97 receptions for 1,432 yards and six touchdowns in 2013 despite playing with a freshman quarterback.

The Jaguars' other second-round draft pick, receiver Marqise Lee, missed Monday's OTA with an ankle injury, and a team spokesman said Lee is listed as day-to-day. Lee caught 248 passes for 3,655 yards and 29 touchdowns in three seasons at USC.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11021686/nfl-jacksonville-jaguars-rookie-receiver-allen-robinson-sidelined-hamstring-injury

2014 from a football perspective is still months away, and it lasts for several months. I think it's very foolish to conclude JAX will continue to like Lee more than Robinson for the entirety of the season based on what position they played during a few days at camp. Situation's still very much up in the air at the moment as far as I'm concerned.
It's not about liking one or the other - Lee is best suited at flanker and Robinson at split end (Shorts' position).
I think Robinson's skill set resembles Blackmon's a lot more than Lee's does, and Blackmon did quite well at the flanker position. In the end I think Jacksonville will play their best WR opposite to Shorts simply to get that player the most snaps; if they determine that's Lee then they'll play Lee, if they determine it's Robinson then they'll play Robinson.
For some reason I never thought about comparing the two but here is what they did at their Pro Day:

Robinson - 6-2.5, 208, 4.47 (1.53 10 split), 42" vertical, 10'11" broad, 6.54 3 cone, 4.00 SS (combine)

Blackmon - 6-1, 207, 4.46 (1.53 10 split), 35" vertical, 10'03" broad, 7.13 3 cone, 4.38 SS (combine)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Allen Robinson - WR - Jaguars

ESPN Jaguars reporter Michael DiRocco believes "anywhere from 30-40 catches" would be a "very good season" for rookie Allen Robinson.

Indeed. Robinson is unlikely to play in two-wide sets -- he's behind Marqise Lee and Cecil Shorts -- and the Jaguars intend to lean on their Toby Gerhart-led run game this season. About 35 catches with a 15-plus yards-per-reception average would be a nice showing from Robinson, whose Dynasty outlook is far more enticing than his re-draft prospects. He's still only 20 years old.

Source: ESPN.com

Jul 20 - 1:58 PM

Maybe. He's a nice cheap handcuff to shorts. Especially in dynasty where you could have a situation where Shorts moves on next season and Robinson develops into a good starter while Shorts is starting elsewhere.

Robinson was going 2 rounds in front of Lee in a startup. Lee is the buy low
Yeah, that's odd that Robinson is being drafted so much higher in DLF mocks because in all my rookie drafts Lee has been drafted first and in most cases quite a bit ahead.
Yeah, Robinson was after Lee in my 4 dynasty drafts, though the two were usually only separated by a few picks. I like both quite a bit actually for dynasty purposes.

He's had what? Two practices with the team so far?

My expectations for any rookie WR are low and Robinson is not an ELITE prospect, but there's no "news" here besides one beat reporter speculating.

Robinson was going 2 rounds in front of Lee in a startup. Lee is the buy low
Lee is already slated to start. His ADP will probably go up. Robinson's stock will soon be in the "buy low" territory. Re-draft owners shouldn't bother. But his Dynasty value doesn't change much to me.

He's had what? Two practices with the team so far?

My expectations for any rookie WR are low and Robinson is not an ELITE prospect, but there's no "news" here besides one beat reporter speculating.
pretty much my thinking. my expectations for him at the start of the season are vastly different than at any other part of the year. the Jags will tinker with the formula while they try to find ways to win.

Oops. Looks like Robinson has a steeper climb than we thought...
Great time to buy since all signs points to Shorts leaving next year.
Is this your impression or have you seen something concrete? Would be great for him to go to someplace that has a passing game.
Pure speculation but the fact that they drafted two WR's in the 2nd round leads me to believe they will let Shorts, who has often been injured, leave as a FA next year

Rotoworld:

Jaguars second-round pick Allen Robinson has recovered from the hamstring injury that sidelined him this spring.
Marqise Lee is also over his ankle injury. Both rookies have a ton of opportunity for early playing time with Ace Sanders facing a four-game suspension, and Justin Blackmon's career continuing to spiral downward. With Lee (Z) and Cecil Shorts (X) likely locked in as the starters, Robinson will battle Mike Brown for action in three-wideout sets. Robinson is probably the slight favorite.

Source: Florida Times Union

Rotoworld:

Jaguars second-round pick Allen Robinson has recovered from the hamstring injury that sidelined him this spring.
Marqise Lee is also over his ankle injury. Both rookies have a ton of opportunity for early playing time with Ace Sanders facing a four-game suspension, and Justin Blackmon's career continuing to spiral downward. With Lee (Z) and Cecil Shorts (X) likely locked in as the starters, Robinson will battle Mike Brown for action in three-wideout sets. Robinson is probably the slight favorite.

"Slight", Rotoworld, really?

Jaguars WR Cecil Shorts is expected to miss "several weeks" with a hamstring strain.

The injury forced Shorts from practice on Friday. Injuries have become a bugaboo for Shorts, who missed most of OTAs and all of minicamp with a hamstring injury and has been limited by injuries each of the last two seasons. Shorts should be ready for the start of the season, but it is hard to be confident he will play a full 16 in 2014.

Source: Michael DiRocco on Twitter

Jul 26 - 12:43 PM
Here's your opportunity, Allen.

Rotoworld:

I don't follow the Jags closely, but it seems to me that Shorts is a Z, so the X would much more likely to be up for competition, no? I realize Shorts' hamstring makes this nearly moot, but assuming he recovers from that, what's the projection here?

Rotoworld:

I don't follow the Jags closely, but it seems to me that Shorts is a Z, so the X would much more likely to be up for competition, no? I realize Shorts' hamstring makes this nearly moot, but assuming he recovers from that, what's the projection here?
Shorts is the X, Blackmon was playing their Z last year. Hence Lee having a clearer path to playing time and the injury opening the door for Robinson. I think Robinson has a quiet year as the WR3/Shorts replacement if injured and could breakout next year if the team doesn't re-sign Shorts.

Shorts is already hurt in camp. Sounds like 2-4 weeks. Robinson could stake a pretty good claim to this job if he's good enough.

For a guy that can't legally drink yet, if he can already beat out Cecil Shorts for a starting gig - that would bode amazingly well for his prospects. Think that is very unlikely though, Shorts gets the job when he comes back - not a knock on Robinson.

He probably would but if Robinson shows well, he's going to line himself up for increased playing time. Running with the 1s will help a lot.

Second-round WR Allen Robinson (hamstring) will be out at least two weeks.
The injury is to the same hamstring that kept Robinson sidelined during the spring, so we have the early makings of a recurring issue here. It's enough to keep the Penn State product off our re-draft boards. Meanwhile, Cecil Shorts is fighting a Grade 2 hamstring pull of his own, leaving Marqise Lee to soak up reps as the No. 1 wideout. The USC rookie is a good bet to lead the Jags in receptions this season.
Related: Marqise Lee

Source: Hays Carlyon on Twitter
Aug 1 - 10:20 AM

Glad I just grabbed Robinson at 2.08 where I own CS3.

Second-round WR Allen Robinson (hamstring) will be out at least two weeks.

The injury is to the same hamstring that kept Robinson sidelined during the spring, so we have the early makings of a recurring issue here. It's enough to keep the Penn State product off our re-draft boards. Meanwhile, Cecil Shorts is fighting a Grade 2 hamstring pull of his own, leaving Marqise Lee to soak up reps as the No. 1 wideout. The USC rookie is a good bet to lead the Jags in receptions this season.

Related: Marqise Lee

Source: Hays Carlyon on Twitter

Aug 1 - 10:20 AM
:(

Reading the various draft message boards on the Internet, I've definitely noticed that some evaluators tend to hone in on technique issues while others emphasize athletic traits more. I certainly fall into the latter category. When Demaryius Thomas and Percy Harvin were draft prospects, there were a lot of questions about their route running ability and technique. I thought those were pretty misguided. Both guys clearly had exceptional movement skills (i.e. economical/sudden/explosive), so from my perspective there was no doubt that they would be able to run effective routes in the NFL.

I don't really think of athleticism and route running as being two separate categories. I think the latter is simply a reflection of the former. If somebody is a fluid and explosive mover, he'll probably be a good route runner because those are the qualities that influence route running effectiveness. Robinson is not as explosive as Harvin or as big as Thomas, but you can see that he moves extremely well for his height. He's sudden, fluid, and elastic. Greg Cosell has talked about how he becomes like a RB with the ball in his hands. It's certainly something that you notice when you watch his game clips and see him breaking guys down in the open field. That is not a teachable skill. It's an innate thing and he's got it.

I think his route running is fine. The only legit knock against him in my book is a lack of top end speed to threaten vertically.
Good post.

Speaking of turning into a RB in the open field, the play at the 3:18 mark was ridiculous, freezing like half the defense to the right, cutting back and outrunning most of the defense to the left, than cutting back again and outrunning five defenders to the right corner, and was a little reminscent of the Gio Bernard run that won the ESPY award. There can't be a lot of WRs in the NFL that are 6'3", 220 lbs., with a 42" VJ and RAC skills like that (a post upthread noted Robinson tied-first in the nation with ten 40+ yard receptions - two more than Watkins, Evans or Cooks).

Not sure how things will shake out with Shorts. I haven't heard any numbers floated on what kind of contract he might be offered by JAX, if they choose to extend him. This is a big season for him, health-wise. I really liked this draft for JAX, adding two talented WRs to improve Bortles' supporting cast and better position him for success. If all three WRs play to their potential, JAX could go from a passing game wasteland and fantasy afterthought, to a dangerous RAC trio. Like Robinson, Lee's speed has been questioned, but clearly they both have more than functional game speed. Lee may not be a speed merchant, but a 25' plus long jumper indicates impressive athleticism.

Reading the various draft message boards on the Internet, I've definitely noticed that some evaluators tend to hone in on technique issues while others emphasize athletic traits more. I certainly fall into the latter category. When Demaryius Thomas and Percy Harvin were draft prospects, there were a lot of questions about their route running ability and technique. I thought those were pretty misguided. Both guys clearly had exceptional movement skills (i.e. economical/sudden/explosive), so from my perspective there was no doubt that they would be able to run effective routes in the NFL.

I don't really think of athleticism and route running as being two separate categories. I think the latter is simply a reflection of the former. If somebody is a fluid and explosive mover, he'll probably be a good route runner because those are the qualities that influence route running effectiveness. Robinson is not as explosive as Harvin or as big as Thomas, but you can see that he moves extremely well for his height. He's sudden, fluid, and elastic. Greg Cosell has talked about how he becomes like a RB with the ball in his hands. It's certainly something that you notice when you watch his game clips and see him breaking guys down in the open field. That is not a teachable skill. It's an innate thing and he's got it.

I think his route running is fine. The only legit knock against him in my book is a lack of top end speed to threaten vertically.
Good post.

Speaking of turning into a RB in the open field, the play at the 3:18 mark was ridiculous,

You do realize the score was 63-7 in the 4th quarter at that point, right?

Here are the back 7 defenders during the play.

23 - Fresh

20 - Soph

36 - Fresh

55 - Soph

16 - Fresh

26 - Soph

37 - Soph

If Robinson did this with Bradley Roby in the game it would be a different story, but it was vs scrubs.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/6/16/5769720/jacksonville-jaguars-allen-robinson-nfl-draft-2014-grade

Pretty sweet breakdown on Allen Robinson's fit within the Jacksonville offense. Recommended read.
Great article, thanks for the rec.

I like scouting material that isn't all good or all bad, that was imo about as thorough and balanced as it gets. It points out the positive attributes that if coached up could point to a favorable projection, as well as the flaws that could be an obstacle and prevent him from reaching it.

Good post.

Speaking of turning into a RB in the open field, the play at the 3:18 mark was ridiculous,

Still, he ran around and/or through nearly the entire defense several times, making them look like a game of smear the queer against a geriatric ward. Even against reserves, I'm not sure you could just slap in any mediocre WR and get the same result. It isn't like all his good plays the past two years were against third stringers. He had more 40 yard plus plays than Watkins, Evans and Cooks in 2013. I'm not sure they didn't at times similarly have highlight plays in big leads circumstances.

Good post.

Speaking of turning into a RB in the open field, the play at the 3:18 mark was ridiculous, freezing like half the defense to the right, cutting back and outrunning most of the defense to the left, than cutting back again and outrunning five defenders to the right corner, and was a little reminscent of the Gio Bernard run that won the ESPY award. There can't be a lot of WRs in the NFL that are 6'3", 220 lbs., with a 42" VJ and RAC skills like that (a post upthread noted Robinson tied-first in the nation with ten 40+ yard receptions - two more than Watkins, Evans or Cooks).

I don't think this is good posting at all. Being a good athlete doesn't not have much to do with being a good route runner IMO. Being a good athlete will help you more if you are a good route runner but it doesn't require tremendous athleticism to run good routes and get open. Of course we aren't talking about some random Joe off the street and lining him up on the field. There is a certain expectation that all players in the NFL posses a certain level of athleticism to begin with. It's not like we are getting immobile sloths to play WR in the NFL. Running routes is about consistency, technique and body control. The idea is to make all routes look the same, until they are not. A WR should look the same coming off the ball on a 9 route or fly route as he does for a 0 or quick slant. The intention is always to attack the DB and force him to turn his hips. To do so, some routes and coverages will require the WR to attack a particular shoulder of the defender, outside or inside depending on which way you want him to turn. From there the goal is to break down into your cut and change of direction with your body under control and always breaking off your outside foot. To do this you must sink your hips while gearing down into short choppy steps so that your center of balance is maintained. The body should be in unison during this motion. Some players sink low but have their head and shoulders moving all around or arms flailing about to help with their balance. The cut should be in control. From there you should reenter drive phase to explode out of the break. Routes need to be sharp, crisp and never rounded (unless drawn rounded). All WRs should know exactly how many steps it takes them to effectively run every route in the tree. Running routes requires practice, lots of practice. It also requires discipline and attention to detail. Not every good athlete has these innate abilities to transform into a good route runner. It just is what it is. We've seen countless great athletes who fail in this area over the years. If the equation was that easy then the ratio would be simple, the better the athlete the better the route runner. We know that isn't the case however. This is why WR can be very difficult to project to the NFL IMO. It's hard to gage some of the things that lead to effective route running without being in practice with them. Still, if you watch them enough you should see a development over the years thru college. Of course this is assuming they are getting that proper direction in college which again isn't always the case and compounds the issue. These things stood out to me watching guys like AJ Green, Fitz and Watkins. As a matter of fact, the thing that sold me most on Watkins was his development of his receiver skills from his freshman year to last year. It seemed likely he was a guy who would put the work in and continue to do the things that would help him as a Pro. I believe I mentioned this before.

This is just a general overview of course. It's hard to get too into route running without 1st talking about getting off the LOS, which is one of the biggest jumps for college WRs IMO.

Good post.

Is this necessary? Perhaps a few decades ago this would've been accepted, but it's offensive and from a staff member...

I agree that it still happened and it's nice that he did have the vision "like a RB" to cut all the way across the field twice. But it's less impressive because it is against low end players. Robinson actually had 2 big plays that game with the score of 56-7 and 63-7...but the first part of the game he didn't make those plays. It's kind of like making huge plays vs FCS competition IMO.

Good post.

IIRC Watkins beat up on some of those same guys in the Orange Bowl. Roby was out and so was their #2 CB I think. Either way, the OSU D that he smoked and everyone drooled over was a shell of themselves.

Good post.

I didn't realize that, i'll have to go back and check. I really like Roby and this he was underrated in this draft class.

No offense intended.

I just disagree with your point. I stand by thinking they are legit questions to your particular line of critique here. I highlighted one play from his body of work. Unless the majority of his big plays came against reserves, he did tie for the national lead in 40 plus yard plays.

I'm also not assuming other top WRs didn't also put up highlight-type plays in big lead situations. If you don't disagree with that (and I didn't see a counter), it's unclear why you would hold Robinson to a different standard than other WRs?

Even against reserves, I think many WRs don't make that play. It's OK to agree to disagree.

* The article I commented on was I thought very balanced. It isn't a puff piece, if you haven't read it. I agree with it, there are some good and bad aspects to his game. He is far from a lock to be great or even good. Like most rookies, at any position. There is his raw material, physical and athletic tools, but projecting how he might improve by being coached up and more reps and experience at the next level requires an act of imagination. It's not a surprise to me that you (or anybody) might see things differently, because it has more to do with IMAGINING things differently, but the converse should be true, as well.

I don't think it is too controversial to suggest he is an impressive athlete in some ways, and if he does overcome his flaws and improves under the guidance and tutelage of a really good NFL WR positional coach (which he has - as EBF pointed out upthread, he had Boldin during his historically productive rookie campaign), he could be a very good WR, imo.

No offense intended.

I just disagree with your point. I stand by thinking they are legit questions to your particular line of critique here. I highlighted one play from his body of work. Unless the majority of his big plays came against reserves, he did tie for the national lead in 40 plus yard plays.

I'm also not assuming other top WRs didn't also put up highlight-type plays in big lead situations. If you don't disagree with that (and I didn't see a counter), it's unclear why you would hold Robinson to a different standard than other WRs?

Even against reserves, I think many WRs don't make that play. It's OK to agree to disagree.
I'm fine agreeing to disagree, however i'm surprised level of competition is of no importance. When I watched Melvin Gordon tape from this past season, I don't equate long runs vs UMass the same as vs Illinois.

As I studied tape of all the WRs pre-combine, I just happened to notice those two plays came late in the game vs Ohio State and then checked the scores. I wanted to see him vs Roby and came away that Robsinson isn't THAT athletic. He mainly caught bubble screens and comebacks until Roby was out of the game.

I like that Robinson has some elusiveness about him, just don't know if he's a good enough athlete to make huge plays at the next level. My comparison for him has always been a poor man's Crabtree.

I agree, it's an impressive play. I do however think its important to consider the context for which the play occurred in. People tend to become infatuated a bit too much on plays like that are flashy. It's just human nature. Circumstances matter though because they change a great deal in the NFL. That play was littered with poor angles to the ball, lazy pursuit and bad tackling. So I can appreciate the athleticism required to to those things on the field I can also reasonably expect they will not translate that way at the next level. Same goes for Watkins vs. OSU. People continually prop that game up as some gold standard and seal of approval for the monster Watkins is and I simply don't see it. I'd say his FSU game was far more telling and impressive.

Robinson made plays of that nature almost every game. You can bring up almost any one of his games and find examples of him making people miss in the open field. Even against Ohio State he had a 20+ yard screen play with Roby on him. He averaged 14.25 YAC on screens for the season and 7.56 YAC in general. He was also one of the better WR prospects against good corners, which kind of negates the idea that he just beat up on bad defenders. And he did all of this while barely being 20 years old, which is why the phenom index loves him. If you're determined to find reasons not to like him, there are some things you can hone in on. He's not the fastest guy and that could limit some of what he can do in the NFL.

TL/DR Alert! :)

[stacking the Hierarchy of Sciences, Art and Scouting]

That makes sense as far as it goes, but it still doesn't account for the fact that Robinson made a lot of big plays in the past two years, and many of them weren't against reserves (and other top WRs also presumably benefited in a similar way). I highlighted just ONE play from his body of work. If MOST or an inordinate amount of his production came against reserves (and if other WRs didn't also benefit from big lead situations at times), than I'd be more concerned.

To make it more explicit, I'm not disagreeing that individual plays might be misleading in some contexts (though I also stand by thinking a lot of WRs don't make that play).

Great players have bad games sometimes (STL day three CB Gaines shut down Evans, for instance).

I'm not implying Robinson is a slam dunk future All Pro. As to Crabtree, you may not have intended it as such, but some may interpret it as a back handed compliment and damning with faint praise, as it were. I saw your comment that (paraphrasing) Crabtree had the minimal requisite athleticism to be a WR1. I'd just obseve that in the last eight games Crabree played with Kaepernick at QB in 2012, including the playoffs, he was something like a top 3 WR in some leagues over that time frame. That would leave room for Robinson, even if he is a poor man's Crabtree (as long as he isn't a destitute one :) ) to be pretty good. I like Robinson's chances to be a WR2 better than a WR1, I don't know if he has that kind of upside. I have much more conviction on Watkins, for instance (and I know we disagree on this, and that is fine, I don't want to address that here). But Watkins was drafted far higher in the NFL draft, and this massive pedigree disparity is reflected in the fact that he is drafted a lot higher in dynasty drafts. I like Lee better than Robinson, but it is a lot closer for me, and Lee was also drafted higher in the NFL draft and generally goes higher in dynasty. While on the subject of Lee, you didn't make this point, but it doesn't add up for me that the role Robinson will fill is more important, so we can overlook or dismiss the fact that Lee was prioritized by JAX in the draft. If JAX really thought Robinson's prospective role was more important to the team's fortunes in an OVERALL sense, I don't think it adds up that they would draft Lee first.

I definitely think Lee and Robinson can co-exist and both be productive, though if Shorts is extended that could complicate at least one of their projections.

* Below this point is kind of like the scouting theory/philosophy equivalent of old maps in which certain regions were designated - Dragons be thar!

I've always thought scouting is part science and part art. If you drop a rock from a fixed distance and precisely measure the time until it hits the ground, and replicate the data, that is an example of the material of science and how it advances. This is similar to the combine dimension of scouting, with tests and measureables. Position specific field drills are already a level removed, requiring some interpretation (though if a RB like Andre Williams bricks all his reception attempts, we would probably expect to see a convergence of interpretations that at a minimum, he has a lot of work to do, and even further for some, he may never be a natural hands catcher). When it comes to looking at game cut ups and making a judgement call on whether things like a given prospect's agility, COD and elusiveness will translate to the NFL, and how well, is at this point, beginning to enter highly subjective realms. It is hard to account exactly for how the typical NFL player's relatively greater size, strength, speed, athleticism, talent, experience (college players never have to play against opponents that have been developed at that level for a decade, for instance), technique, football IQ, coaching, etc., compared to college counterparts, will impact different players development, or lack thereof. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and when some scouts say little things can be the difference between greatness and mediocrity, that saying hints at this state of affairs.

If some teams developed proprietary analytics, heuristics and algorithms that greatly increased the chances of spotting talent (and they could churn out Pro Bowlers like cranking a sausage grinder), there would be a lot less busts. SEA has been doing a really good job lately, so I can see how there could be variance in the scouting community, and genuine talent may not be evenly distributed, but it is still in the end a highly subjective art (referring to the part that isn't science, any competent time keeper can be trusted to clock 40 times). They have made mistakes, like Matt Flynn, but they more than made up for it in that case by drafting Wilson, and than having the healthy self confidence and good sense to admit they were wrong and correct the mistake ASAP.

Once we get to a factor like projecting a player's ability to improve, that can get even more subjective. There may be indicators that are seemingly SUGGESTIVE (Brian Quick coming from a lower level of competition might fall into this category, though some products of this level have come further and faster than Quick has to date). Mo Clarett sneaking booze in the facility didn't bode well. Larry Fitzgerald coupling his Gumby-like, contortionist flxibility and acrobatic aerial skills with being a student of the game and technician, probably since he was a child, exposed to the influence of Cris Carter and Randy Moss, as well as his driven work ethic, did bode well. But between those extremes, in the absence of compelling evidence in one direction or other, anybody is guessing as to if or how much a given prospect will improve, and over what time frame.

Another part of the problem is nothing is ever the same in terms of context, not just opponents, but supporting cast and surrounding talent. If we ever have computer models comprehensive in scope and powerful enough to account for 100% of the possible variables under study, it would be helpful to run hundreds, thousands or millions of simulations, with Watkins, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Benjamin, Lee, Richardson, Adams, Latimer, Robinson, Landry, Moncrief, etc. all playing for every team in the nation, and against every possible opponent in the nation, in every possible permutation, than average them and see how they all stack up, respectively. No wonder this stuff is difficult and people disagreeing is, far from the exception, the rule of the day.

There is a hierarchy of complexity in the sciences. Chemistry and the combination of elements presents challenges not found at the level of the elements themselves. Biology is orders of magnitude more complex than chemistry (DNA compared to combining hydrogen and oxygen atoms to form water). Psycholgy presents another level of complexity (the brain has roughly a few billion neurons, with several thousands of possible synaptic connections tying together each one [[?? I could be wrong, but my recollection]] - supposedly 2 billion to the two thousandth power is a number larger than the number of atoms in the universe). Sociology is a level removed from that, studying things like the behavior of crowds and mob psychology, and how many unpredictable personalities can interact in even more unpredictable ways on societies, cultures, economies, etc. The higher, more complex levels are stacked on top of their precursor substratums.

This hierarchy of complexity can possibly be mapped on to counterparts in scouting to some degree.

In some ways, the art-like aspects of scouting are to the interpretation of physically instantiated, dynamically moving bodies, as semiotics is to studying the meaning of abstract symbols and codes, or exegesis is to the more delimited field of textual analysis. Note that in some respects, even about one player, with so many possible dimensions to account for, it is certainly possible we could both be right and wrong in some respects. The power of a thread is the potential for anybody to take the best ideas from different people (sometimes dozens in an active thread) and eliminate their respective weaknesses, and maybe be in a better position to lop off entire sectors that are spurious and collapse the less relevant probablility spaces into a more accurate forecast. One thing I like about fantasy football in general and dynasty specifically, is things usually come out in the wash, eventually (though even there, disagreement can exist as it can be hard to compare different players through the complication of their rarely/never being in IDENTICALLY comparable situations).

Is the painting Guernica by Picasso a genuine work of genius, or that of a talentless hack inexplicably elevated into canon by the subjective impressions, opinions, whims of a tipping point of the societal critical apparatus? Some critics have noted that the anguished, rent asunder nature of the painting is symbolic of the Spanish Civil War. Some people, hearing that for the first time, might appreciate it in a different light, and like it where they hadn't before. Others might understand the point, but still hate it on aesthetic grounds. I would never want to say somebody is right or wrong for thinking Guernica is the expression of genius, or amateurish doodling.

Some people like Schlitz malt liquor, some like vintage Chateau Lafitte Rothschild. Some people might say the Schlitz drinker's pallette is "coarser" (people who are experts at combining scents and aromas to formulate new combinations, may be equipped differently at a fundamental, physiological/perceptual level to make hundred or thousands of fine grained, nuanced distincions that most humans, not so equipped, could never approximate with any amount of training). If not trained or with an aptitiude for it, the Schlitz afficianado in a cross-training taste test, may not notice the discrete undercurrents of sub-flavors in the wine (hints of raisin, chocolate and coffee, blah, blah, blah) Nonetheless, in his domain, he may be better at predicting which new flavor of Schlitz malt liquor would be more likely to appeal to the masses. Conversely, an experienced wine drinker with a highly trained pallete and descriptive apparatus may be terrible at predicting what wines will be popular, if his taste contains too little overlap with the norm. They aren't necessarly mutually exclusive, but can be discrete and separate skill sets.

Finally, what if we could take a peek, and pull aside the Wizard of Oz-like curtain of something as fundamental as the computational aspects of vision, what would we find? Probably hundreds or thousands of sub-conscious perceptual cues (how angles are subtended, relative sizes calculated by distances - a matchbook pressed close to our eye that appears larger than and obscures a distant mountain is not bigger than a mountain, etc.) our eye/brain linkage was trained long before we could speak, and is therefore refractory to retrieval of those individual memories at the conscious level, and ineffable. In an evolutionary sense, it is probably impossible for the myriad discrete acts that go into the computational aspects of vision to be comprehensively reported back to us at the conscious level. I can barely remember a string of 7 digits like some phone numbers. People aren't wired to make sense of the maelstrom of discrete information sent by myriad rods and cones. It is hard to imagine what that would be like, it might be akin to what would happen if a centipede with thousands of legs had to suddenly make a conscious adjustment of each leg in order to move and became paralyzed by a bottlenecked control apparatus overwhelmed by the sensory and percepual tidal wave. For cavemen being chased by saber tooth tigers, it was far more important for the brain to interpret the information reported to it by the eyes with a minimum of fuss, and that translates to not having access to how the mechanisms of vision report to consciousness at the micro-level.

Why this digression on vision? IMO, too often people argue about seeing different things (or seeing the same thing differently). To me, the fact that humans can see at all and be conscious is a miracle. Sometimes I don't think people always appreciate this. Not only is it not unlikely that people should see things differently sometimes, it would be bizarre and shocking if that weren't the case. Not to mention, it would be mind numbingly, crushingly boring if everybody always agreed with us. Like the Twilight Zone episode in which the protagonist dies, wakes up in a place where he always gets whatever he wants just by thinking about or asking for it, quickly tires of this, tells the host that he thinks he belongs in the "other place", only to be informed in classic Twilight Zone reversal style... This IS the other place.

** I do question at times (I do think some have a gift for scouting - though, if literally a thousand factors might be subconsciously informing our conscious understanding, that gift may be different than the ability to articulate what some are doing and how), and I'm not excluding myself, that if we employ a set of criteria for success, like a formulaic set of algorithms or heuristics, and it works sometimes and doesn't others, and we can't account for why, what does it mean to say we were "right". In other words, if someone was doing the scouting equivalent of flipping coins and mixing up their calls, and getting about half right (as probability would suggest), but selectively remembering the times they were "right" and forgetting the same number of times they were "wrong", that wouldn't stand up as an impressive feat of scouting to me. But if people track their actual successes and failures and identify a statistically improbable hit percentage, that would be more impressive and suggest to me they were probably on to something.

But again, being able to do it and communicate what they are doing are two different things (I think EBF has a knack for this). Another way to look at this issue, it would be impressive to me if two or more different scouting "archetypes" opened up dueling schools to communicate their methods (like an old school martial arts movie :) ), and one school's students were demonstrably more accurate than the other, that could, and probably WOULD, suggest one method was superior, but also, perhaps that school was better at communicating what they were doing and how.

I agree, it's an impressive play. I do however think its important to consider the context for which the play occurred in. People tend to become infatuated a bit too much on plays like that are flashy. It's just human nature. Circumstances matter though because they change a great deal in the NFL. That play was littered with poor angles to the ball, lazy pursuit and bad tackling. So I can appreciate the athleticism required to to those things on the field I can also reasonably expect they will not translate that way at the next level. Same goes for Watkins vs. OSU. People continually prop that game up as some gold standard and seal of approval for the monster Watkins is and I simply don't see it. I'd say his FSU game was far more telling and impressive.
BTW, just for the record, I'm not suggesting people should blow up their teams and trade Calvin Johnson straight up for Robinson. :) In the case of Marqise Lee, imo, if he is as good as I think he is, doesn't have health setbacks, and isn't hindered by horrific QB or OL play, I'd roughly estimate he has something on the order of a 2/3-3/4 chance of being a WR2 or WR3. That still might leave a 1/4-1/3 chance of being a bust. Some might put the chance of 50% or higher of outright busting. We'll know soon enough, in a year or two, maybe sooner if he attains that level. If he doesn't as a rookie, I'm not going to write him off after one season (as some seem to have with Austin, with the apparent rationale that if he had drops as a rookie, he always will - some WRs like Troy Williamson and DHB never improve, sometimes prospects do improve). I don't have the exact same level of confidence with Robinson as Lee (let alone Watkins), but it isn't a massive difference.

We agree to some degree on the play. Not saying you are saying this, but the very question (that maybe I haven't considered the context - I'm not assuming you haven't considered the context, I extend you the courtesy of taking that as a given) may contain some tacit assumptions. Sometimes, if people don't see things the same way, it doesn't mean they aren't considering the context, or "don't get it" or are merely infatuated by the flashy (though usually excluding themselves from this behavior :) ). Without meaning to and completely unintentionally, that can come off as just another way of saying, I am right and you are wrong. Two different interpretations can sometimes simply mean two different people are seeing things differently.

I'm not that interested in defending how meaningful or not this play is. But I have yet to have someone pick up the challenge in this case that a DISPROPORTIONATE number of Robinson's big plays were against reserves, OR that other prospects don't also have highlight plays against reserves at times.

There may be others better at choosing representative "archetypes" for good and bad plays within his body of work. I commend the article cited on this page as being thorough and balanced in that way.

I hear what you are saying. If you have ever seen prep footage of Trent Richardson (or for that matter, even a pure athlete like Navorro Bowman playing RB in high school), they are at such a higher level than their opponents, bigger-stronger-faster-more-athletic, it is almost like they were playing a pee wee fooball team. Like it wouldn't surprise you if the player, en route to the end zone, was reading the paper, having a cup of coffee, manicuring their nails, than stiff arming 11 defenders in a row and stomping them into the ground en masse. That to me would be "accounting for the context" in your sense (and even in that case, there can be levels of dominance that scouts can and must account for in the midst of the carnage). I didn't sense that level of dominance in this case. Even if his job was made easier on the play in question by the presence of reserves on the field, I'm still seeing non-trivial, RB-like attributes like natural open field running skills, vision/instincts, patience, setting up blocks, unusual agility, movement skills and COD ability for a 6'3", 220 lb. WR, etc. It wasn't like seeing Richardson making high schoolers look like pee wee players, stiff arming 11 defenders and stomping them into the ground on some plays. There was SOME degree of difficulty. I'll stand by saying a lot of WRs wouldn't necessarily have made that play, and of those that could, they may be pretty good WRs. Would Watkins? Maybe he would have rocketed straight down the right sideline and scored that way, he might have done it differently, hard to say. But I don't think Watkins is as elusive as Robinson, but a lot of things he does better in the RAC department (faster, stronger, tougher, more physical, etc.). Would many of the other first and second round WRs have? Some may have, some not, though if they were drafted higher, that might simply reflect they are more talented and should be expected to. Of those drafted near where he was or after, are there many WRs that would have made that play? To me it is very much of a an open question.

There are imo legitimately different possible interpretations in which we can interpret the play in question (though again, I don't want to belabor the point, and acknowledge other plays might better illustrate what he does well), that don't require assuming it is completely devoid of information and meaningless.

How do we KNOW that if a faster defender DID cut off the backside of that last sprint to the corner of the end zone, Robinson might not have cut back a third time to the other corner of the end zone and scored anyways? If Robinson made good tacklers miss during SOME of his big plays (and he tied-national lead in 40 plus yard plays, more than Watkins, Evans and Cooks, who also may have played against non-starters at times, so if his big plays weren't mostly against reserves, the onus is on people who don't give Robinson a favorable projection to explain those successes, and not just explain away purportedly spurious ones), isn't it face value to assume he might do the same to less skilled tacklers. On his first broken tackle, he cut quickly away from the defender who was forced to dive and attempt an arm tackle that Robinson ran through.

He beat nearly the entire defense twice (I may be exaggerating slightly), so if that is like 20 possible tackle attempts, are we forced to assume that in all 20 instances it must be explained away as poor tackling or lazy pursuit. Was every defender dogging it at the end, or were several still sprinting and still beat to the corner. Were there 0/20 instances where he gets credit for making defenders miss. Again, if he made better tacklers miss on other good plays, the fact that mistakes may have been made on this play isn't a general indictment of his make-you-miss ability. He proved he could do it against first team defenses. Instead of nit picking this play, I'd like to see even attempts at explanations of how he was able to defeat good tacklers, too, if he isn't elusive and doesn't have good RAC skills.

I'm not saying nobody could make that play but him, just that I'm not sure a lot of WRs could, and the ones that could would probably be pretty good.

Roby misses tackles, so I don't find it conclusive to suggest that because things MIGHT have been different if Roby was in the opposing secondary, that they necessarily would have. Probably if the first team defense had been in, it would have been a different play. But would he have been stopped behind the LOS? Would it have been a 10-20-30 yard gain? I can't say for certain it WOULDN'T have been some form of positive play (if not as spectacular, and maybe not punctuated by a score). I don't see a reason to assume it wouldn't have been, since he had so many posiive plays against good tacklers, too. Point taken the degree of difficulty would have been greater.

As to Watkins, it is kind of an unknowable that lots of other WRs would have broken the Bowl record with 200+ yards and 2 TDs. True, I'm not certain that ISN'T the case, but I remain unconvinced that IS the case, and don't see a compelling reason to assume that, either. No way to know if Evans, OBJ, Cooks, etc., would have done better or even as well.

I see what I find to be SOME NFL translatable skills in Robinson, though I don't have the same conviction as with Watkins and Patterson (but they were drafted higher, so that is to be expected). Part of this seems to be a difference of degree. You said some aspects of the play were impressive. Even sceptics aren't saying he has a zero % chance to be successful (WR2-WR3?). I'm not saying he is a lock to succeed. We may not be that far apart.

Rotoworld:

Rookie WR Allen Robinson (hamstring) has been ruled out for the Jaguars' second preseason game.
After missing the spring with his hamstring stain, Robinson retweaked it early in camp and missed Jacksonville's preseason opener. Coach Gus Bradley says Cecil Shorts (hamstring) is "a little ahead" of Robinson in their recoveries.

Any fear of Hurns, Shorts, and Lee outright keeping Robinson off the field or is this an "out of sight, out of mind" situation where he returns to the field and pushes Hurns out? I'm trying to buy shares of Robinson as his cost continues to decline. Today chose to sign him over Crowell with my last contract slot in a league.

I'm starting to think Shorts and Hurns might be the "most ready" to contribute right away (with Lee a close 3rd)

Any fear of Hurns, Shorts, and Lee outright keeping Robinson off the field or is this an "out of sight, out of mind" situation where he returns to the field and pushes Hurns out? I'm trying to buy shares of Robinson as his cost continues to decline. Today chose to sign him over Crowell with my last contract slot in a league.
I am buying also, not expecting anything until later in the year or 2015

I still think he's better than Hurns, and I scooped Hurns off waivers in two leagues. I'd probably sell Hurns if I got any kind of a decent offer.

This is a messy one for redraft purposes. I'd probably roll with Shorts for 2014 production. Nobody here is insurmountable though.

Users who are viewing this thread