What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Davante Adams, LV (4 Viewers)

For being a top 18 pick, it is awful quiet in here. I guess the story is: he's the top receiver for Rodgers and we have seen him score TDs so he is a super safe pick. I totally bought that as well, but I am starting to have some worries. Are we sure Adams is a Jordy Nelson and not a Randall Cobb/James Jones?

Jones and Cobb both had a big seasons mostly based on crazy high TD % but then were overdrafted. They left buyers disappointed when they could no longer sustain such an improbable TD %. All three had chances to shine in the absence of Jordy Nelson in 2015. Adams and Cobb fell on their faces. James Jones led the team with 800 yards and 8 TDs. I am nervous about Adams as the focal point of this passing game. 
Adams has been ~15th in WR efficiency for both the last two years.  He's also been covered by the top corner on opposing teams on most plays for the past two years.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2017

I think his draft position is about where he should be valued.  He's clearly not an elite talent like Brown, Julio, Hopkins.  but he's still one of the top dozen WRs in the league, and he gets a major boost playing with Rodgers.  As the 8th WR coming off the board, he's probably closer to his ceiling than his floor, but he's about as safe of a mid-2nd round pick as you can get.

As an Adams owner, I'm curious as to what folks are getting for him or giving for him in PPR dynasty.
Prior to the Jordy release, I got him for the 1.05 this year. It was a bad deal for the other team, and I would assume most other owners are wanting a decent amount more.

Adams has been ~15th in WR efficiency for both the last two years.  He's also been covered by the top corner on opposing teams on most plays for the past two years.  

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr2017

I think his draft position is about where he should be valued.  He's clearly not an elite talent like Brown, Julio, Hopkins.  but he's still one of the top dozen WRs in the league, and he gets a major boost playing with Rodgers.  As the 8th WR coming off the board, he's probably closer to his ceiling than his floor, but he's about as safe of a mid-2nd round pick as you can get.
I agree he is valued in the right area. It just seems like me that outside of Jordy Nelson, drafting Packers skill players high has usually not worked out. There just seems to be no talk or question at all about taking a WR in the top 18 who has never had a 1000 yard season. 

Adams has improved a lot since 2015.

The #1 WR in GB has always been a TD dependent player.  Nelson was never a huge volume guy, his value was scoring TDs.  What is great.....Rodgers is a lock for 32+ TD passes, so there's a great chance Adams will catch 10-12 again.  But since Adams is unlikely to be a volume guy, he needs those 10 or so TDs to be worth his ADP.  Adams is worth more in standard and 1/2 PPR leagues.

I am actually more nervous about Adams' concussion history.  One more and Adams could miss serious time.
Jordy in his prime 4 years was not TD dependent any more than AJ Green is TD dependent. From 2011-2016, Jordy's 16 game average was 84/1284/12. Good call on the conussion thing though as well. That is very concerning. 

Maybe one of the rookies is the next Jordy Nelson.
Like right now or in a couple years?

The top WR has been a high floor and somewhat high ceiling WR for decades in GB. The contract they just gave Adams shows they plan on continuing that trend. 

I have the 12th pick in a 12 team standard draft.  I'm having a hard time deciding between Julio or Adams.  Assuming a top RB falls to me.  In our league TDs are more important at 6 pts per TD.

Thoughts?

I have the 12th pick in a 12 team standard draft.  I'm having a hard time deciding between Julio or Adams.  Assuming a top RB falls to me.  In our league TDs are more important at 6 pts per TD.

Thoughts?
I think the vast, vast majority of leagues have 6 pts/TD so most ADP & "expert" rankings would reflect that. Julio is typically going WR4 and Adams WR7.

Joined a keeper league and took on a crappy team. Adams was on the roster so I kept him. 

Giddy up.

Davante Adams caught 5-of-8 targets for 88 yards and a touchdown in Green Bay's Week 1 win over Chicago.

Adams got most of his yards on a single drive in the fourth quarter. His touchdown was a 12-yard catch and run in the red-zone where he made multiple defenders miss. Adams saw fewer targets than Randall Cobb, but it's not a trend to expect going forward. Even in a tough matchup, Adams is a locked-in WR1 for Week 2 against Vikings.

Sep 10 - 12:16 AM

Will most likely draw Xavier Rhodes this week with a potentially hobbled Rodgers under center. Am I mad to consider sitting him ? Not something would normally do, but if you have good depth/bench options it might be a thought ( I have Cooks sitting on my bench ) 

Will most likely draw Xavier Rhodes this week with a potentially hobbled Rodgers under center. Am I mad to consider sitting him ? Not something would normally do, but if you have good depth/bench options it might be a thought ( I have Cooks sitting on my bench ) 
He missed practive today as well. I am seriously considering benching him for Stills or Agholor and definitely will if Rodgers ends up sitting.

Last edited by a moderator:
He missed practive today as well. I am seriously considering benching him for Stills or Agholor and definitely will if Rodgers ends up sitting.
Rich Hribars weekly worksheet has some pretty damming stats for Rodgers against the Vikes and has both him and Adams down as potential busts for this week 

Davante Adams (undisclosed) did not practice Wednesday.

Adams' injury has yet to be disclosed to the media, but it will be known on the injury report once practice is complete Wednesday. We'll provide a further update. This is obviously a situation to monitor this afternoon.

Davante suffered a shoulder injury on the big 51-yard catch-and-run on Sunday night.   

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is reporting that he will be a limited participant on practice today (Thursday).   Adams said that he had some minor soreness, but plans to play.   

Just like CardiacKid, I'm more concerned about Rodgers.   DeShone Kizer doesn't see the field very well and holds the ball way too long.   

Davante Adams said he felt "great" after returning to a limited practice on Thursday.

"It’s still day to day," Adams said afterward. "I felt good today at practice, so we just have to keep making progress til Sunday and hopefully I’ll be ready to run." Despite the cautious words, Adams sounds like someone who is going to play against the Vikings. Concerns are Xavier Rhodes' sticky coverage and Aaron Rodgers' knee injury. Adams should be treated as a mid-range WR2 for Week 2.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Sep 13 - 4:40 PM

Davante Adams (shoulder) is active for Week 2 against the Vikings.

He was always expected to play. The problem is he is less than 100 percent, Aaron Rodgers seems at risk for an in-game setback, and Xavier Rhodes is likely to shadow him most of the day. Adams needs to be downgraded a bit. Green Bay declared S Josh Jones (ankle), LB Oren Burks (shoulder), WR Equanimeous St. Brown, WR J'Mon Moore, S Raven Greene, CB Deante Burton, and OL Alex Light inactive for Week 2.

Sep 16 - 11:31 AM

ex-ghost said:
Not looking great for Sunday.
Man if Adams/Cobb/Allison are all out, then Graham needs to go all Eric Ebron this week, or its time to worry if he's still any good.

I'm under the impression Adams is 50-50, Cobb is almost certainly out, and Allison is maybe 75-25 out?

Man if Adams/Cobb/Allison are all out, then Graham needs to go all Eric Ebron this week, or its time to worry if he's still any good.

I'm under the impression Adams is 50-50, Cobb is almost certainly out, and Allison is maybe 75-25 out?
It could be the Graham/Ty show. Pretty sure I’ll be starting Ty in a couple leagues If all those guys are out.

All this dude does is come up with clutch catch after clutch catch. He is amazing. 

Not sure I'd rather have anyone, outside of Hopkins, on my squad. 

All this dude does is come up with clutch catch after clutch catch. He is amazing. 

Not sure I'd rather have anyone, outside of Hopkins, on my squad. 
The guy just produces.   What is most remarkable is that Davante has faced a murderer's row of lock-down CBs (e.g., Xavier Rhodes, Stephon Gilmore,  TreDavious White, Darius Slay) and he keeps putting up numbers.   He gets Xavien Howard in Week 10, and he'll still get 95 yards and a TD.   

I agonized over my 12-teamer 2nd round pick (Davante vs. A.J. Green), and am ecstatic with Adams.  

The guy just produces.   What is most remarkable is that Davante has faced a murderer's row of lock-down CBs (e.g., Xavier Rhodes, Stephon Gilmore,  TreDavious White, Darius Slay) and he keeps putting up numbers.   He gets Xavien Howard in Week 10, and he'll still get 95 yards and a TD.   

I agonized over my 12-teamer 2nd round pick (Davante vs. A.J. Green), and am ecstatic with Adams.  
Howard isn't anything special, he's nowhere near those other guys. 95 yards and a TD almost feels like a floor at this point. I think there is a case to make for Adams as the WR1 overall going forward.

I had the same Adams/Green dilemma and also went Adams. Funny looking back, that I was disappointed Keenan Allen went 1 pick ahead of me, sometimes draft spots same us from ourselves.

I picked Thomas over Adams in redraft a couple of times round 2 this year. They're very close. I think I slightly prefer Adams at this point just because he's more of a focal point in the GB offense, their run game is not nearly as good as NO's either. They're within 3 points of each other in standard (MT just had a career game though).

Davante Adams caught 5-of-8 targets for 69 yards and a touchdown in Week 12 against the Vikings.

Adams beat Vikings CB Xavier Rhodes in a one-on-one red-zone matchup for a 15-yard touchdown. He went without a target for a long stretch, but salvaged his night on the Packers' final drive. Adams went over 1,000 yards on the season and has at least 80 yards or a touchdown in every game. He get a matchup with Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson in Week 13.

Nov 25 - 11:55 PM

Adams has improved a lot since 2015.

The #1 WR in GB has always been a TD dependent player.  Nelson was never a huge volume guy, his value was scoring TDs.  What is great.....Rodgers is a lock for 32+ TD passes, so there's a great chance Adams will catch 10-12 again.  But since Adams is unlikely to be a volume guy, he needs those 10 or so TDs to be worth his ADP.  Adams is worth more in standard and 1/2 PPR leagues.

I am actually more nervous about Adams' concussion history.  One more and Adams could miss serious time.
Eh that could be argued. He had 4 huge years, all with double digit TD’s, but 3 of them he also had almost 100 receptions. 

Howard isn't anything special, he's nowhere near those other guys. 95 yards and a TD almost feels like a floor at this point. I think there is a case to make for Adams as the WR1 overall going forward.

I had the same Adams/Green dilemma and also went Adams. Funny looking back, that I was disappointed Keenan Allen went 1 pick ahead of me, sometimes draft spots same us from ourselves.
Every single mock I did had me taking Adams. And I ended up with him in 1 of 7 leagues. I was largely reaching for Hill in his place so it worked out but surprised to see how well it would have turned out either way. I had him when he first came in the league and the drops drove me up a wall but those seem to be behind him now. 

Davante Adams (knee) remained sidelined at Thursday's practice.

Adams has said he expects to play, but he has now missed the first two practices of the week. The receiver is two catches and 134 yards from breaking the Packers' team record in both categories. Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Randall Cobb, and Jake Kumerow would likely handle the receiving work if Adams cannot play.

Source: Wes Hodkiewicz on Twitter 

Dec 27 - 12:52 PM

Davante Adams said he is "looking forward" to playing in the slot in new coach Matt LaFleur's offense.

With Randall Cobb gone, the Packers need someone to take on snaps in the slot, and it sounds like Adams will handle at least some of that work. "I think that’s something that Matt is definitely looking forward to having me do," Adams said. "If that will take their No. 1 off me, and I can get some mismatches maybe on the backer or the safety or anybody else, I think that is beneficial." According to Pro Football Focus, Adams ran around 20 percent of his routes from the slot last season and was highly successful when he did. That number looks likely to rise moving forward.

SOURCE: Packers News

Apr 11, 2019, 7:56 AM

Users who are viewing this thread