What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jarvis Landry, Saints (1 Viewer)

Landry is the # 16 WR overall for the season in our league (we get return yards and partial PPR). I picked him up last month. He consistently surprises me, even though he's generally still warming the bench for my team. I'm pleased I was able to get him for nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still may be a buy low opportunity here. Dynasty ranks still have him quite low. I think he's a great bet for 80-90 catches next year. It may be for about 1000 yards, but in PPR, with a handful of TDs that's 13-14PPG. Top 25.
I'm in a typical 12 team, PPR dynasty league and he has gone 19.5, 8.6, 5.7, 15.6, 12.3, 15.6 and 25 since the Dolphin's BYE in week 5. I can justify leaving him on the bench no longer.

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry and Mike Wallace both played 46 snaps in the Dolphins' Week 12 loss to the Broncos.
Brian Hartline was third in line with 43 snaps. Although Landry primarily aligns in the slot, he has "started" six of Miami's last seven games and quietly but surely emerged as the favorite for targets in the Dolphins' pass-catcher corps. He's an every-week WR3 in fantasy leagues, particularly in PPR.

Source: Miami Herald
Nov 24 - 4:55 PM

How good was LSU last year?

LSU Players in the 2014 NFL Draft

Round (Pick) Team - Player, Pos.

1 (12) Giants - Odell Beckham Jr., WR

2 (51) Bears - Ego Ferguson, DT

2 (55) Bengals - Jeremy Hill, RB

2 (63) Dolphins (from Broncos through 49ers) - Jarvis Landry, WR

3 (92) Panthers - Trai Turner, OG

5 (156) Broncos (From Bears) - Lamin Barrow, OLB

6 (178) Titans (From Redskins) - Zach Mettenberger, QB

6 (181) Texans (From Raiders) - Alfred Blue, RB

7 (239) Bengals - James Wright, WR

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry - WR - Dolphins

Jarvis Landry has become Ryan Tannehill's go-to receiver.

Tannehill excels in the short-to-intermediate range of the field, which is where Landry wins as the slot receiver. The rookie has actually out-targeted Mike Wallace 26-20 the past three games, and is playing more snaps than Brian Hartline. He's emerged as a quality WR3 in PPR with WR2 upside.

Source: Palm Beach Post

Nov 29 - 9:41 AM

To give some perspective of just how good this rookie WR class is, I got Landry in the 7th round of my rookie draft. Kelce I got as a free agent off waivers. This was the year to load up on draft picks. Every round had its gems.

Jerome Bettis is adamant that Revis will be locked in on Landry, and they'll just double Wallace the whole game.
I do not see this happening at all. Revis will be on Wallace. If the #1 corner goes on Landry then Wallace would tear them apart. Wallace and Landry are putting up similiar numbers but Wallace is drawing more coverage and the better corners.

Jerome Bettis is adamant that Revis will be locked in on Landry, and they'll just double Wallace the whole game.
I do not see this happening at all. Revis will be on Wallace. If the #1 corner goes on Landry then Wallace would tear them apart. Wallace and Landry are putting up similiar numbers but Wallace is drawing more coverage and the better corners.
I thought the same thing. Seemed odd that Bettis was so confident that he knew the Pats' game plan.

I don't think it matters either way frankly. Pats should shut them down. The only Dolphin I would even consider starting is Miller.

:not a Pats homer:

Jarvis Landry is expected to be shadowed by Darrelle Revis in Week 15.

The Patriots plan to use Revis on Landry, with Brandon Browner covering Mike Wallace. Despite averaging nine targets over his last five games, Landry should be avoided as a Week 15 fantasy option.

Source: ESPN Boston

Sat, Dec 13 2014 8:13 PM

Rotoworld:

Jarvis Landry - WR - Dolphins

Jarvis Landry caught 8-of-11 targets for 99 yards in the Dolphins' Week 15 loss to the Patriots.

Landry drew a lot of Darrelle Revis, but it wasn't exclusive as the Pats mixed up their coverages. Four of Landry's grabs also came deep into garbage time. Either way, the catches matched Landry's season high, while the yards represent a new personal best. Landry will be a high-floor WR3 against the Vikings in the fantasy finals.

Dec 14 - 5:37 PM

Landry was widely projected by scouts and insiders alike as a second round pick. Not sure how you can say the pick was a mistake this early in the game.
It's just an opinion. He may do some damage out of the slot, but he's 5'11" with some truly horrendous workout numbers. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that I could get up off my couch and beat his 40, vertical, and broad jump.
:lol:

2014 Year In Review: WR Jarvis Landry

Miami Dolphins Rumors: Jarvis Landry Success Forces Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline Release with Ryan Tannehill Contract?

Position review: Offseason WR moves to revolve around Mike Wallace decision

Jarvis Landry was second on the team with 112 targets 84 receptions 758 yards 9 ypc 5TD he also returned kicks and punts.

For all the talk about Beckham I think Landry might be overlooked somewhat still despite the terrific rookie season he had. There is stability with the coaching staff for next season and the offense made some significant improvements in Tannehill's third season.

I was looking at receiving stats sorted by receptions and I noticed that Landry had the fewest targets out of the top 30 non RB but was 17th overall in receptions.

Landry's catch rate is 75% what is going to happen if his targets increase to the 130-50 range at that catch rate? 98-113 receptions.

The yards per catch is low and Landry had too many fumbles (7) but I think these are areas that should improve with experience.

Landry has far exceeded my expectations.

Miami Dolphins Rumors: Jarvis Landry Success Forces Mike Wallace, Brian Hartline Release with Ryan Tannehill Contract?

Jarvis Landry was second on the team with 112 targets 84 receptions 758 yards 9 ypc 5TD he also returned kicks and punts.

For all the talk about Beckham I think Landry might be overlooked somewhat still despite the terrific rookie season he had. There is stability with the coaching staff for next season and the offense made some significant improvements in Tannehill's third season.

I was looking at receiving stats sorted by receptions and I noticed that Landry had the fewest targets out of the top 30 non RB but was 17th overall in receptions.

Landry's catch rate is 75% what is going to happen if his targets increase to the 130-50 range at that catch rate? 98-113 receptions.

The yards per catch is low and Landry had too many fumbles (7) but I think these are areas that should improve with experience.

I am all over him next year.

Let's hope he doesn't pull an Eddie Royal.

If he remains in the slot I doubt he pulls an Eddie Royal. On the outside I have a lot less confidence and Landry has been pretty clear that he's intent on showing in the offseason he's "more than just a slot guy." Let's see how high the Dolphins WR draft pick is before projecting Landry. His separation from coverage issues figure to be magnified if he's moved outside.

Let's hope he doesn't pull an Eddie Royal.
In what ways do you consider the two players similar?

The way I see it is Landry was drafted in the second round by a team that didn't really need him.

He quickly outplayed all of the veteran WR on the team and became a starter over them. Those players have since been released because of how well Landry performed and then Mike Wallace was traded and replaced by Kenny Stills. Clay was not re-signed but they added Jordan Cameron. All of these moves indicate to me the level of confidence the Dolphins have in Landry being their leading WR.

Is that how things went for Eddie Royal?

The first season for Royal (2008) he played with Jay Cutler. Who was traded to the Bears after that season. There was also a coaching change from Skeletor to Josh McDaniels.

I am not seeing the massive turnover in Landry's situation compared to what the early years of Royals career were like.

Landry is one inch taller and 16 pounds heavier than Eddie Royal. Not seeing the comparison as same type of WR's either.

Landry is one inch taller and 16 pounds heavier than Eddie Royal. Not seeing the comparison as same type of WR's either.
Eddie Royal was an example of a low YPR guy with a huge rookie year who fell off, don't expect that to happen but Landry is hardly a special athlete.

Davone Bess is his comp and like Bess I expect a bunch of 80/800 seasons. While Landry has great hands and should catch the ball at a higher rate than Bess did, he's still a volume guy. While he doesn't have a lot of competition for targets at the moment (Stills, Cameron) the Dolphins appear to looking at WR in the 1st or 2nd round. If they don't draft a WR in the 1st two rounds I'll feel better about owning Landry (they don't have a 3rd round pick).

Eddie Royal was an example of a low YPR guy with a huge rookie year who fell off, don't expect that to happen but Landry is hardly a special athlete.

Davone Bess is his comp and like Bess I expect a bunch of 80/800 seasons. While Landry has great hands and should catch the ball at a higher rate than Bess did, he's still a volume guy. While he doesn't have a lot of competition for targets at the moment (Stills, Cameron) the Dolphins appear to looking at WR in the 1st or 2nd round. If they don't draft a WR in the 1st two rounds I'll feel better about owning Landry (they don't have a 3rd round pick).
I think Landry is a much better player than Bess. He is a little bigger, a lot tougher over the middle, and has better hands (although Bess had good hands too). Landry has a Hines Ward vibe about him to me. He's a baller. Type of player who doesnt have the measurables, but finds a way to get open, doesnt drop the ball, is fearless, and can make plays after the ball is in his hands. Its a tough way to gauge a player, but I'd say his floor is Bess, and his ceiling is Ward...and I personally see him closer to the ceiling.

Jarvis Landry, a winning argument against ppr leagues.
Any good possession receiver could be used as an argument against PPR leagues, but it is still a rather poor one.

Landry's projected receptions will be factored into and reflected in his ADP for PPR leagues. Hardly an unfair advantage if the other members of your league are also aware of it.

Possession receivers make PPR leagues more competitive than non-PPR leagues IMO as owners can focus on drafting players at other positions in the early rounds, rather than have to invest in the elite/stud WRs. A lot of people won't play in PPR leagues for that reason and that is fine, but that is a big selling point for me.

And it is not always that much of an advantage as these type of WRs usually don't score as many TDs (Landry had 5 TDs, Edelman 4 TDs in 2014). These are also smaller WRs and tend to get injured more frequently, and durability issues should go into any decision in drafting them.

Jarvis Landry, a winning argument against ppr leagues.
Any good possession receiver could be used as an argument against PPR leagues, but it is still a rather poor one.

Landry's projected receptions will be factored into and reflected in his ADP for PPR leagues. Hardly an unfair advantage if the other members of your league are also aware of it.

Possession receivers make PPR leagues more competitive than non-PPR leagues IMO as owners can focus on drafting players at other positions in the early rounds, rather than have to invest in the elite/stud WRs. A lot of people won't play in PPR leagues for that reason and that is fine, but that is a big selling point for me.

And it is not always that much of an advantage as these type of WRs usually don't score as many TDs (Landry had 5 TDs, Edelman 4 TDs in 2014). These are also smaller WRs and tend to get injured more frequently, and durability issues should go into any decision in drafting them.
I think Hines Ward was a better athlete but I don't mind that comp. Landry would need an idea situation like Ward to produce big numbers though.

If the Dolphins don't take a WR in the first two rounds and it's only him, Stills, and Cameron to share targets then he could hit 150 targets. Bring in Kevin White like has been rumored and it crushes his fantasy value.

He's a hold if you own him but I'm not looking to acquire him at his 1st round pick value until after the draft.

Davone Bess was not drafted. Landry was drafted in the second round.

Jarvis Landry out performed Odell Beckham in their last season at LSU

Landry 77 receptions 1193 yards 15.5ypc 10 TD

Beckham 59 recpetions 1152 yards 19.5ypc 8 TD

According to this Landry produced 48 first downs, 57.1% of his receptions led to a new set of downs despite the low yards/reception.

eta- I consider it doubtful that the Dolphins draft another WR in the 1st or 2nd round because they already traded their 3rd round pick for Stills.

Rotoworld:

he Sun-Sentinel considers Jarvis Landry the Dolphin most likely to have a breakthrough season in 2015.

Landry was extremely impressive as a rookie slot man, leading the team with 84 catches and emerging as Ryan Tannehill's go-to receiver. Now Mike Wallace, Charles Clay and Brian Hartline are all gone, opening up a ton of opportunity. The Dolphins will add outside receiver help in the form of a veteran free agent and/or a draft pick, but Landry is locked into volume. A 100-catch season is within reach.

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Apr 14 - 10:26 AM

So if someone offers you Landry for ONE pick this year, at what point do you draw the line in the sand and accept?

Same question other way, what's the highest pick you would give for him?

12 team PPR regular dynasty

So if someone offers you Landry for ONE pick this year, at what point do you draw the line in the sand and accept?

Same question other way, what's the highest pick you would give for him?

12 team PPR regular dynasty
1.8 right now, after the draft that could go lower

Give. Not sure on the accept. I don't own him.
Gotcha

I was contemplating offering up the #6 in a league. I own 1,2,3,4,6. Need a WR bad, and he doesnt seem like a bad guy to slightly overpay for.

PLus, assuming I keep the other picks, I know I will get my top 4.

I think ppl are overrating Landry a bit right now. I absolutely must see what MIA does in round 1 before moving anything of value for him. Decent chance they go WR. Landry is a pure possession receiver, worth more than he was this time last year, but I wouldnt even consider a 1st for him.

I think ppl are overrating Landry a bit right now. I absolutely must see what MIA does in round 1 before moving anything of value for him. Decent chance they go WR. Landry is a pure possession receiver, worth more than he was this time last year, but I wouldnt even consider a 1st for him.
Geeze, what does a rookie have to do to warrant you giving pick 12 for the guy??

Geeze, what does a rookie have to do to warrant you giving pick 12 for the guy??
Probably average more than 9 yards a catch. I just don't see the upside with him. Right now talking about giving up the 1.06 for him is sheer madness. We're talking about passing on acquiring a different level of athlete for a guy who is basically Brian Hartline at this point. I'll pass until he shows me he can do something more than 10 yards down the field.

Just for some perspective: the only receivers since the merger (that's over 40 years of football) to average less than 10 yards a catch on at least 30 receptions as rookies are

Landry

Kendall Wright

Ace Sanders

Mike Thomas

Danny Amendola

Julian Edelman

Blair White

So either you play with Tom Brady or you're irrelevant as this kind of player (hyperbole). In all seriousness, I just don't see the upside.

I fully expect the Dolphins to use their 1st rounder on a WR. If they don't, he's worth a mid first, probably 1.07 or so. If they do, I'd bump him down, but just slightly. Probably more like 1.10.

Reality is that Landry had a bad combine, and thus will never be good enough in some people's minds. If you look at the area where Landry wins it's close to the line of scrimmage. His Pro day splits? 10 yards in 1.58, 20 yards in 2.69. As a point of comparison, Amari Cooper's splits? 1.61 and 2.63. Landry is plenty quick enough to win in the slot. He's also a good football player with great hands and routes. Basically, he didn't run a 4.35 so some people around here will dislike him no matter how much success he finds.

Kitrick Taylor said:
ghostguy123 said:
amicsta said:
I fully expect the Dolphins to use their 1st rounder on a WR. If they don't, he's worth a mid first, probably 1.07 or so. If they do, I'd bump him down, but just slightly. Probably more like 1.10. Reality is that Landry had a bad combine, and thus will never be good enough in some people's minds. If you look at the area where Landry wins it's close to the line of scrimmage. His Pro day splits? 10 yards in 1.58, 20 yards in 2.69. As a point of comparison, Amari Cooper's splits? 1.61 and 2.63. Landry is plenty quick enough to win in the slot. He's also a good football player with great hands and routes. Basically, he didn't run a 4.35 so some people around here will dislike him no matter how much success he finds.
I would really call into question what were calling "success" here...

Kitrick Taylor said:
ghostguy123 said:
amicsta said:
I fully expect the Dolphins to use their 1st rounder on a WR. If they don't, he's worth a mid first, probably 1.07 or so. If they do, I'd bump him down, but just slightly. Probably more like 1.10.

Reality is that Landry had a bad combine, and thus will never be good enough in some people's minds. If you look at the area where Landry wins it's close to the line of scrimmage. His Pro day splits? 10 yards in 1.58, 20 yards in 2.69. As a point of comparison, Amari Cooper's splits? 1.61 and 2.63. Landry is plenty quick enough to win in the slot. He's also a good football player with great hands and routes. Basically, he didn't run a 4.35 so some people around here will dislike him no matter how much success he finds.
You just compared Landry's pro day times to Cooper's combine times.

amicsta said:
ghostguy123 said:
amicsta said:
Probably average more than 9 yards a catch. I just don't see the upside with him. Right now talking about giving up the 1.06 for him is sheer madness. We're talking about passing on acquiring a different level of athlete for a guy who is basically Brian Hartline at this point. I'll pass until he shows me he can do something more than 10 yards down the field.
He has already done more than whoever you take at pick 12 probably ever will.

amicsta said:
ghostguy123 said:
amicsta said:
He has already done more than whoever you take at pick 12 probably ever will.
1) That is certainly an opinion. Plenty of guys produce at or past that spot in rookie drafts.

2) I don't pay for what a player has done, I pay for what he will do.

If you pay for what he will do, it might not be a bad idea to assume he will do better than he did as a rookie.

Doesnt always happen, but its a good bet.

amicsta said:
Just for some perspective: the only receivers since the merger (that's over 40 years of football) to average less than 10 yards a catch on at least 30 receptions as rookies are

Landry

Kendall Wright

Ace Sanders

Mike Thomas

Danny Amendola

Julian Edelman

Blair White

So either you play with Tom Brady or you're irrelevant as this kind of player (hyperbole). In all seriousness, I just don't see the upside.
I certainly think the low yards per catch stands out in regards to Landry. But what is significant about 10 ypc? Because 10 yards = 1st down?

I addressed the issue of first downs produced earlier in the thread. According to this Jarvis Landry produced the 22nd most 1st downs out of all WR in 2014 with 48. 57% of his receptions resulted in 1st downs.

Landry did this as a rookie. It is possible his yards per reception improves with more experience.

Looking at the game logs for Landry he had a really poor game against the Vikings in terms of yards/catch (3.88). Every other game besides that Landry had 7.14 ypc or better.

As you point out it is a pretty rare occurrence for a WR to have such low yards/reception. Especially considering the high number of receptions for Landry. His numbers look more similar to some of the better receiving RB than it does to WR.

He is well below the average in YPC for WR which for top 36 WR has been 13.9 ypc or better over the last five seasons. Landry was 35% worse than this average in this category as a rookie.

The main concern I would have about this continuing would be that it caused the offense to reduce Landy's opportunities because of less effectiveness. Landry did produce more 1st downs than Mike Wallace (by 1) last season and more than new team mate Kenny Stills (by 1). So despite the lack of explosiveness in terms of yards Landry was still very effective in creating first downs and providing more offensive opportunities.

Mike Wallace only had 12.9 ypc in 2014 in this offense. 12.7 ypc in the season before. So this may be a product of the QB and play calling moreso than the relative abilities of the WR.

Users who are viewing this thread