What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Clash of Clans (Official thread) (5 Viewers)

Aidan with a beautiful goholo attack in Honda today and raising the bar another level. I had started furs, but watching that made me regret not getting skulls.
http://youtu.be/eZqjgwtNg48
Seems like a base you could lick the screen with an air raid and get 3. Two exposed aa and an exposed queen.

I guess style points for a blended raid like that.
Yep. Not that I could have pulled it off, but I was thinking the same thing.

Aidan with a beautiful goholo attack in Honda today and raising the bar another level. I had started furs, but watching that made me regret not getting skulls.
Seems like a base you could lick the screen with an air raid and get 3. Two exposed aa and an exposed queen.

The first attempt on that base was a 1-star air - with three hounds - raid. :shrug:

I write everything down and mentally rehearse it until I think I understand what's going to happen. Then I read each part of the attack as I do it live. It forces you to slow down. When something goes wrong all bets are off, but as long as things are going to plan it's helpful (at least for me).

The first attempt on that base was a 1-star air - with three hounds
Deployment is key. done right hounds path straight to the core but you have to have the loons close enough to get there. It's basically a TH8 base, drags and loons would have managed it fairly easily. maybe one cc hound just to be safe deployed late as stuff got to the core.

Deployment is key. done right hounds path straight to the core but you have to have the loons close enough to get there. It's basically a TH8 base, drags and loons would have managed it fairly easily. maybe one cc hound just to be safe deployed late as stuff got to the core.
:lmao:

Yes - a max TH8 with two new X-bows, a Level 10 archer queen, an extra Level 7 air defense, a Level 11 archer tower, a Level 6 wizard tower, and a Level 7 tesla to go with another level on the other three teslas.

How is FBGs having trouble 3-starring TH9s if they can easily manage this base with dragons and loons?

Yes - a max TH8 with two new X-bows, a Level 10 archer queen, an extra Level 7 air defense, a Level 11 archer tower, a Level 6 wizard tower, and a Level 7 tesla to go with another level on the other three teslas.

How is FBGs having trouble 3-starring TH9s if they can easily manage this base with dragons and loons?
Two down xbows and a queen that you can kill taking no damage and an aa right there that just dies for free. That's a th8. Not sure what else to call it.

Two down xbows and a queen that you can kill taking no damage and an aa right there that just dies for free. That's a th8. Not sure what else to call it.
You can call it a TH9.

You can call it a TH9.
Fine whatever. I see two naked aa a naked queen and down xbows that's an air base no matter what level the towers are.

Those old bases with the little clusters on the sides like that are really only strong to go wipe they make everything orbit. Just have to set the funnel a little bit wide. He didn't even have his teslas in a bad tracking spot either so the funnel is quick.

You can call it a TH9.
Fine whatever. I see two naked aa a naked queen and down xbows that's an air base no matter what level the towers are.

Those old bases with the little clusters on the sides like that are really only strong to go wipe they make everything orbit. Just have to set the funnel a little bit wide. He didn't even have his teslas in a bad tracking spot either so the funnel is quick.
How is FBGs having trouble 3-starring TH9s TH8s if they can easily manage this base with dragons and loons?

Seems like a base you could lick the screen with an air raid and get 3. Two exposed aa and an exposed queen.I guess style points for a blended raid like that.

You can call it a TH9.
Fine whatever. I see two naked aa a naked queen and down xbows that's an air base no matter what level the towers are.Those old bases with the little clusters on the sides like that are really only strong to go wipe they make everything orbit. Just have to set the funnel a little bit wide. He didn't even have his teslas in a bad tracking spot either so the funnel is quick.
How is FBGs having trouble 3-starring TH9s TH8s if they can easily manage this base with dragons and loons?
For once, I agree with culd. Any competent air attacker could knock that base out by fat fingering the whole attack. Congrats you did it that way, doesnt mean what culd is saying is wrong.

I think whats lost on everyone is that there is more than one way to 3 star a base. And just because somebody failed, doesnt mean that method was wrong.Planning, planning, and more planning, then executing that plan is really what it comes down to.

Appears to be a bit of a disconnect between some of the other fbg members and the strength of bases fbgs1 faces. I'm sure every clan has a breakdown of attacker ability from very good, good, decent, and poor. Fbgs1 problem is our poor (and even our good) have no where to hide.

Here's bases 35 and 39 from last war.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/12u06

Honda's #7 opponent would have probably fell in between there. Is fbg1 a strong attacking clan overall? Absolutely not. Not even close really. Would that base easily got 3 starred in fbgs? Yes. Can we just quit flaming each other.

Are there any openings in Honda or Quarto for a TH8? I'm trying to learn how to hog with my early/mid TH8 account that has L4 hogs. I can take out poorly designed TH8's just fine but have trouble once including golems/loons/dgb's into the mix. Would love to learn from the experts. Current trophy count is 1050ish.

Honda's #7 opponent would have probably fell in between there. Is fbg1 a strong attacking clan overall? Absolutely not. Not even close really. Would that base easily got 3 starred in fbgs? Yes. Can we just quit flaming each other.
It would get easily three'd in Quattro too. And it easily got three'd in Honda. So what is the point?

I think whats lost on everyone is that there is more than one way to 3 star a base.
What you are saying is true.

But one three star attack is just as good as another. So why try to crap on an attack that gets posted by pointing out that there was another way to do it?
The whole "raising the bar to another level" rubs some the wrong way. Clayton didn't do anything wrong. Rascal was pouring gas on the fire to start.

The base was awful. It's like watching people with near max heroes stomp people, well yeah no ####. Sure you have to ultimately stomp bases like that but don't come pimp some raid as a next level raid.

Are there any openings in Honda or Quarto for a TH8? I'm trying to learn how to hog with my early/mid TH8 account that has L4 hogs. I can take out poorly designed TH8's just fine but have trouble once including golems/loons/dgb's into the mix. Would love to learn from the experts. Current trophy count is 1050ish.
1 spot left in Quattro. Post when you're ready to join and we'll open the doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 spot left in Quattro. Post when you're ready to join and we'll open the doors.
Ready

Ready
Doors open. Put FFA in the request.

Appears to be a bit of a disconnect between some of the other fbg members and the strength of bases fbgs1 faces. I'm sure every clan has a breakdown of attacker ability from very good, good, decent, and poor. Fbgs1 problem is our poor (and even our good) have no where to hide.

Base weights are visible for both these. The base would have fallen in behind 39. I've been aggregating the last 7 wars to see how our defenses are affecting matches. This would have been about base 255/280 if we rolled in all the bases as one giant blob. This war will help average it up. Probably somewhere in the 275/325 range.

Some spots in fbg3: Honda. Lots of good hog attackers.

Thanks and sorry. Just jumped into quarto. Would like to drop by somewhere down the road still.

I think whats lost on everyone is that there is more than one way to 3 star a base.
What you are saying is true.

But one three star attack is just as good as another. So why try to crap on an attack that gets posted by pointing out that there was another way to do it?
The whole "raising the bar to another level" rubs some the wrong way. Clayton didn't do anything wrong. Rascal was pouring gas on the fire to start.

The base was awful. It's like watching people with near max heroes stomp people, well yeah no ####. Sure you have to ultimately stomp bases like that but don't come pimp some raid as a next level raid.
Get off your ####### high horse. Not everything said in this thread is for your or fbgs benefit. Clayton had a great attacking using goholo. We haven't seen that much, if at all, in Honda so yes it raised our ####### bar. Sorry we aren't all as awesome as the mighty culdeus or FBGs who have mastered every ####### attack yet can't kill a th9 without a th10 stepping down from on high.

Thanks and sorry. Just jumped into quarto. Would like to drop by somewhere down the road still.
No problem. Quattro has lots of good attackers as well. No wrong choice between the two.

FBGs definitely have tougher opponents than Honda and Quattro. I don't think anyone has ever questioned that - at least not seriously. You guys are basically a town level ahead of us. You look at TH9s and TH8s like we view TH8s and TH7s respectively.

Still, this was a decently-developed TH9 - with a poor design, of course - but it still showed that hogs and loons are viable without high-level tanks and high-level heroes on mid-strength TH9s. It took planning and competent deployment. Culdeus making the ridiculous claim that licking the screen with an air raid would work simply ticked me off. Dragons would have had zero chance, and a hound raid would have required just as much planning and competence as the hog/loon attack did. The quick dismissal of a ground attack was indicative of a larger issue.

Last time I visited the mothership, there were two wars where details were still available. In both, I saw TH8s and low- to mid-level TH9s there were not 3-starred. It was claimed those were unusual wars, but leaving those standing would be like us not 3-starring a TH8 or a TH7. That would have been possible several months ago, but I can't remember the last time a TH8 or lower was left upright. It doesn't happen anymore.

As I looked at the failed TH8 and TH9 attacks from those two wars, the vast majority of them were air attacks - either overmatched dragons or poorly executed hound deployments - while a good hound raid can quickly wreck any TH9, it's pretty hard to get good with hounds - just take a poll. It was painfully obvious that loons and ground troops needed to added to strategies. Even though advice wasn't solicited, I suggested FBGs diversify their strategies and spent an hour or so planning an attack for each of the TH8s in the upcoming war. I have no idea if there were used or how FBGs did against those bases.

The comments, or lack there of, to the above issues and to other items throughout this thread give credence to the view that many FBGs members don't think they can be helped by Honda or Quattro members. After all, our opponents are really easy and yours are really difficult.

We can help, however, on micro-strategy on your TH9s and lower. It's also readily apparent that we can help on meta-strategy. FBGs method of assigning targets is -EV. The lack of diversity in attacks is -EV. Not having a bottom-up, 3-star mentality is -EV. Building an army and then looking for a target is -EV. Working the system to get weaker opponents is not a real strategy.

It is better to spend time and energy into the following:

• A 3-star mentality needs to permeate the clan.For clans on FBGs' level, this meansAll TH9s and below should be 3-starred.
  • Low-level TH10s should be 2- or 3-starred.
  • Mid- to high-level TH10s should be 1- or 2-starred.
[*]For clans on Honda's and Quattro's level, this means
  • All TH8s and below should be 3-starred.
  • Low-level TH9s should be 2- or 3-starred.
  • Mid- to high-level TH9s should be 1- or 2-starred.
  • TH10s should be 1-starred.
[*]Emphasize that first attacks from your low- and mid-level members should shoot for a 3-star result.
  • A 2-star on a base that should be wiped out should be considered a fail because, in a 3-star clan, someone else still needs to attack that base to get the desired result. The 2-star in this situation isn't a "good job". It's a "nice try". Both remarks are pleasant, but the difference between them shows the change in mentality needed to be a 3-star clan.
  • If a 3-star isn't possible, the member should look to scout or snipe a high-level base for a single star.
[*]Have your members develop an assortment of attacks.
  • A clan of 35 hound attackers or 35 hoggers could have a lot of success, but there will be opposing clans that will be hound- or hog-resistant. When you find these opponents, you'll have little chance of victory.
  • If some member can use hounds, some can use hogs, etc., the diversity of attacks within the clan makes the clan a much more dangerous opponent.
[*]Teach them how to identify proper targets which match their developed strategies.
  • Coach them on making small changes/additions to an army composition depending on quirks in their target base.
[*]Leaders must track available attacks and make sure viable attackers are matched with the remaining bases that can be 3-starred.
  • As individuals develop their strategies and abilities, this job becomes easier.
  • Leaders shouldn't do everything for the members. Anyone who opts into a war also agrees to at least attempt to find their own targets and use the proper army to attack.
  • Leaders should also be cognizant of when a change is strategy is needed to lock up a victory. If two stars on a TH9 will mathematically win a war, a solid GoWiPe attacker should be sent to do the job.
  • Leaders must exclude members who do not adhere to the 3-star mentality or do other actions against the meta-strategy. Fails happen - that's not what we're talking about here. What shouldn't be tolerated are attacks that have no chance of getting the desired results.
I've posted the below before, but here are likely roles for various members of a clan. The bullet points for each town hall level are not complete lists of possible tasks. Just some ideas for each possible member of the clan.

TH7s and lower

• Help matchmaking
  • Use dragons to 3-star TH7s and lower
  • Scout high bases
Low- to mid-level TH8s
  • Possibly help matchmaking
  • Use Level 2 dragons and Level 3 hogs to 3-star low-level TH8s and lower
  • Scout high bases
  • Use Level 2 dragons to snipe poorly designed high-level TH10s
High-level TH8s
  • Use Level 3 dragons and Level 4 hogs to 3-star TH8s
  • Scout high bases
  • Use dragons to snipe poorly designed high-level TH10s
Low- to mid-level TH9s
  • Take out remaining TH8s
  • Use max hogs to 3-star low-level TH9s
  • Scout high bases
High-level TH9s
  • Use max hogs with golems and max loons to 3-star low- to mid-level TH9s
  • Use GoWiWi to 3-star poorly designed TH9s
  • Use penta-golem and penta-loon to 2- or 3-star low-level TH10s
  • Use GoWiPe to 1-star high-level TH10s with shaded town halls
Everything above this is 100% doable. I've done it already, and I'm not some great attacker. I just practice a lot and plan out my attacks. Other Honda members are doing it as well. Another thing that is not debatable is that the more you plan, the better your attack results generally are.

Low-level TH10s
  • Clean up leftover mid- to high-level TH9s
  • Use GoWiPe to 1-star high-level TH10s with shaded town halls
  • Snipe poorly designed TH10s
Mid-level TH10s
  • Use GoLaLoon to 3-star high-level TH9s and low-level TH10s
  • Use GoWipe to 2-star mid- to high-level TH10s which aren't solidly designed
High-level TH10s
  • Clean up any leftover low-level TH10s
  • Use high-level attacks to 1- or 2-star mid- to high-level TH10s
Everything above this is 100% doable. I've seen it on Twitch streams. Maybe those guys are just great attackers. More likely, however, is that they just practice and plan a lot.

Anyway, just trying to help if possible, but this will be my last unsolicited post on what other clans can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread