What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Music League (1 Viewer)

Also, we are set to sped up pacing, so song submission will open up once @Eephus votes. You are probably defaulted to receive an email when each round opens. Notifications can be changes via the settings.

Sorry to hold things up. I guess I should have read the manual.

If you are using the website, finished rounds go to the bottom. Click on "results" to see comments left at song submission and by voters. As with the voting side, once all 10 songs are submitted for round 2, the playlist will generate, and voting will be available.

Not much of a story here. To be clear, I went with the artist/tape where I remember it being "mine". I am sure I had some Charlie Pride, Oak Ridge Boys, Village People, stuff like that - but that was more my parents and me liking some of their stuff. Huey Lewis and the News was my first music love and obsession. What's hazy is the exact time frame and what came first: Huey or Back to the Future. I also remember getting that OST around the same time, but I think Sports and Picture This were in the house before that, and Power of Love was a reason I wanted to see Back to the Future. I tried to dig a little deeper for the playlist and I remember that one being a favorite.

For CD next round, I have 2 choices of some lovely hair metal. I ended up with 2 on the same shopping trip because I bargain shopped. There was a release I wanted more from one of the bands, but the live album had most of the tracks and buying that on the cheap let me get another CD. Not loving many of the songs on either in 2024 though.

My first 2 metal tapes were 2 that I stole from my sister's boyfriend's car. I know one of them was Anthrax's State of Euphoria. The other I remember as a reddish cover, so either Master of Puppets or Peace Sells.

I just realized as I was looking at the songs, the band/album I wanted when I got that first CD was also because of a movie and tie-in.

Cassettes were always blank things for recording on. I spent some summer job money on a Pioneer deck that looked like this. I honestly don't remember buying a pre-recorded one until the music industry decided to kill LPs in the late 80s. There was a gap of a few years where I had the aforementioned cassette deck and a Walkman before we reluctantly accepted the inevitability of CDs. But more about that next round.

My song is from the first of only two 8-track tapes I ever bought. Some college friends and I were going to Florida for spring break and one guy was able to borrow his parents' van with an 8-track system. I bought the album I picked today and the Allman Brothers Eat a Peach for the road trip. Tom had to get the van back a couple of days early so they dropped me off in Jacksonville and I hitchhiked to Washington for a anti-draft rally. I survived that and made it back to Madison in time for classes on Monday but I never saw those 8-tracks again.

Finally made my pick so playlist is ready!
I was 16 when CDs came out and most of the initial releases were classical music. Players were $700-$1200 so was almost impossible for a high schooler making $3.35/hr to afford so didn't get one until a few years later when I graduated . I decided to buy CDs first so Id have something to listen to when I finally got a player. The first CD I bought was a Tchaikovsky greatest hits but it wasn't the first one I played when I finally got a player. CDs cost $19-$25 back then and think I had close to 20 by the time I got a player- $250 for a used one.

I was 16 when CDs came out and most of the initial releases were classical music. Players were $700-$1200 so was almost impossible for a high schooler making $3.35/hr to afford so didn't get one until a few years later when I graduated . I decided to buy CDs first so Id have something to listen to when I finally got a player. The first CD I bought was a Tchaikovsky greatest hits but it wasn't the first one I played when I finally got a player. CDs cost $19-$25 back then and think I had close to 20 by the time I got a player- $250 for a used one.
Many times, the CD came out 2-3 weeks after the LP and cassette.

We got into the CD game late. I never liked the shiny discs with those annoying plastic boxes where the tabs inevitably broke, the lyrics and credits in teeny weeny fonts and the disc art that made it unnecessarily hard to re-file them when done listening. I suppose the sound was better if that was what you were into but I'm glad to see the format fall out of favor. They weren't even that compact because of the thickness of the packaging.

By the time I finally acquiesced to how the music industry wanted us to consume content, I was in my mid-30s and ditkaburgers was a toddler. I went to Streetlight Records on 24th Street and bought used copies of Blur's Parklife, the Hal Willner Nino Rota compilation and the album I chose today. I wish I could remember what Mrs. Eephus came home with. ditkaburgers got some horrible kids' music. CDs actually worked out great for little kids because you could set the player to run her favorites over and over.

Here's the addendum to my submission for "last concert you went to" song...
It's Musikfest season in the Lehigh Valley! This is the 27th year in a row I've made it over to the festival.
I went over with the wife on Wednesday night to see the Goo Goo Dolls on the main stage.

The first time I had tickets for a Goo Goo Dolls show was while I was in college back in 1995 to see them in Grace Hall (small wrestling gym) at Lehigh University for like $3. Then "Name" hit big and the $3 concert was cancelled and replaced by a real concert at the local "real" concert venue, Stabler arena. For some reason, I couldn't make it to that show but saw them in a small venue "sonic session" in 2002.

Lead singer, Johnny Rzeznik, was handed a new guitar before each song and the guitar had tape with the next song name on the back. (Weird way to follow the set list I guess?) Anyway, before the previous song he got mixed up and said it was their first radio hit and then saw the next song was instead "Come to Me" and basically said oops and had to explain. After that song is over this clip picks up with the right guitar and song.

Goo Goo Dolls - Name - Musikfest 2023

Btw, he's sitting because he had a banged-up foot, doesn't explain the capris though.

And here's the other one I was thinking of using for Amy, but it was a year earlier...

NIN - I was so psyched for this show but the sound in the pit was so bad. I like to just basically drown in the music at these and I could always hear the crowd singing along more than the band. Another small (~3500) and old venue.

NIN - March of the Pigs Clip

(I showed this clip to my 14 yo son and he said, "that was awesome", maybe next time...)

Man, I think I bought a Sony 5-disc changer from Circuit City back around 89-90 when I was around 14? I don't think it was crazy expensive but probably like $300-$400? Maybe I'm wrong. I had been working since I was about 12 and was just saving money since I didn't have a car or girlfriend yet to waste money on.

I had no idea about stereos though so didn't realize I needed a receiver and speakers also so ended up running my brand new digital CD player through one of my parents' 10-20 year old receivers with analog switches and knobs until I saved up for the receiver next.

I made a resolution to see live music in at least 12 different Minneapolis venues this year, so I've been getting out more often. I caught Lissie (I featured her in the first music league) at a tiny theater and Laura Jane Grace at one of the first shows in the newest punk venue in town. I saw 95 year old Cornbread Harris (Jimmy Jam's dad) in a tiny bar (he plays every Sunday), and local guy, Dosh, at a swanky new bar in the hipster part of town. However, my most recent concerts have been at the Palace Theater in St Paul. My pick and someone else's player there a week apart in early March. Great old theater remodeled into a concert venue...

Man, I think I bought a Sony 5-disc changer from Circuit City back around 89-90 when I was around 14? I don't think it was crazy expensive but probably like $300-$400? Maybe I'm wrong. I had been working since I was about 12 and was just saving money since I didn't have a car or girlfriend yet to waste money on.

I had no idea about stereos though so didn't realize I needed a receiver and speakers also so ended up running my brand new digital CD player through one of my parents' 10-20 year old receivers with analog switches and knobs until I saved up for the receiver next.
Yeah, I bought that same player,prices had come down by then. I'm talking 83-84 at that price. Only 2 or 3 companies sold CD players so maybe 5-6 models to choose from.

Richard Marx was on my list to consider for the Covid category. He did a lot of mini streams from his house during quarantine that were a lot of fun. I'd see him on tour for sure.

Looking forward to some unknown gems this round. I thought about putting a total stream cap in the rules (e.g. must have fewer than 50,000 streams), but there's probably songs with a million hits none of us have ever heard....

Users who are viewing this thread