What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Music League (1 Viewer)

JB Breakfast Club

Footballguy
We ran a test Music League about a month ago with some of the Middle Age Dummies. I think everyone had fun with it and discovered some new music.
Now we'll broaden it out to everyone. I plan to cap the league at 15 members (otherwise the playlists get really long), but we can run concurrent leagues if there are more than 15 who want to participate.

What is Music League?
A: Submit a song in the current category. Listen to the playlist of everyone's selections. Give a thumbs up to recognize your 3 favorites. Don't sweat the results - we're just using the league to discover some new music curated by the FBG community.
https://youtu.be/60Ev0e8iBr0

What are the categories?
A: They can be anything (free text descriptions). Make up your own category when you sign up in the thread here. They can be broad or oddly specific. (e.g. "what are you listening to right now?" "Favorite heavy metal song of the 2000s" "Songs with one word titles you don't think anyone else has heard").

How are songs submitted?
A: As long as you can find the song on Spotify, you can submit it. Once everyone submits their songs, a Spotify playlist is automatically created for the group.

I want to play, what's next?
A: Note your intent to play in this thread and come up with a category. If you don't want to make up a category, that's fine, too...I will make one up for you.
A link will be sent out to those who want to participate then. I cannot set up the link now because I need to name the categories as part of setting it up.

Add any additional questions below.

Last edited:
reserve for signup/categories

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
  • What are you listening to right now?
  • OK, shorty (songs 3 minutes or less)
  • You Gotta Hear This! (unknown artists/songs that everyone should hear)
  • Song from your first cassette tape
  • Song from your first CD
  • Song from the most recent concert you attended
  • Play it again, Sam (songs you repeat immediately)
  • Pandemic memories (song or artist you got into during quarantine)
  • High school memories
  • What are you listening to right now 2

Last edited:
With the categories- does that mean what I pick will be all 10 of my songs, or will mine be one of the categories everyone will choose from?

Last edited:

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
  • Song from your high school years
  • Song from your college years
  • Song that makes you laugh
  • Some kind of Mount Rushmore where we blow out a big topic to four categories (e.g. your top 4 favorite song writers)
Song from first album/tape/CD you bought?

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
  • Some kind of Mount Rushmore where we blow out a big topic to four categories (e.g. your top 4 favorite song writers)
Careful what you wish for here. ;)

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
lol yeah could be funny for sure, it's Hammer Time for me

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
I assume we would count buying an album as a kid with birthday money?

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
Exactly what I mean or maybe cassette and cassette player was a Christmas gift or something. It could be slightly embarrassing but fun. First record, first cassette, first CD, first concert.

KarmaPolice
Mrs.KarmaPolice
Ilove80s
the moops
FairWarning

Potential Categories
Exactly what I mean or maybe cassette and cassette player was a Christmas gift or something. It could be slightly embarrassing but fun. First record, first cassette, first CD, first concert.
@JB Breakfast Club - that could make for an interesting take for your Mount Rushmore idea above.

Great, now I have to ask my wife the embarrassing question- uh, what was the last concert we went to??
Oh, **** - I was actually right about something like this for once. Hope y'all like the artist, because you will get two songs from the same one. It would be funny if we picked the same one.

since I don't know the FBG to MusicLeague name mappings, I invited the 3 people who participated in round one that are not signed up for this league through the Music League website.

The league has filled at 10. If anyone else really wants to join, speak up now, and I can open another spot. Otherwise, I'm going to submit my song tonight.

Hmmm might be a tough group for me, based on voting my tastes might be a bit off from the group. I don’t care about winning or anything, just a way too early observation.

Hmmm might be a tough group for me, based on voting my tastes might be a bit off from the group. I don’t care about winning or anything, just a way too early observation.
I thought the same, but sometimes the wide open categories are hard to predict and also this time we only have 3 likes. There wasn't anything I didn't like this round, so I had to nitpick with my votes. Instrumentals and jazz are a tough nut to crack with me, but I dug both the songs. One song I liked, but it was a tad long, so that was my 4th or 5th place. Genesis I just raved about in MAD. Thoughts like that I had while deciding which 3 I "liked".

I'm looking forward to the trip down memory lane for the next few categories...

I thought the same, but sometimes the wide open categories are hard to predict and also this time we only have 3 likes. There wasn't anything I didn't like this round, so I had to nitpick with my votes. Instrumentals and jazz are a tough nut to crack with me, but I dug both the songs. One song I liked, but it was a tad long, so that was my 4th or 5th place. Genesis I just raved about in MAD. Thoughts like that I had while deciding which 3 I "liked".

I'm looking forward to the trip down memory lane for the next few categories...
True the next few categories could take us on a few interesting directions.

Also, we are set to sped up pacing, so song submission will open up once @Eephus votes. You are probably defaulted to receive an email when each round opens. Notifications can be changes via the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread