What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DIY Home Projects - Plumbing (1 Viewer)

Jayrok

Footballguy
Any FBG plumbers in the house?

Remodeling a bathroom. I have demolished the tile/mortar/lathe walls and shower. The house is on a cement slab. Bathroom floor is tiled, shower was closed in and tiled/mortar/wire meshed. I've removed all the wall and shower except the step entering the shower, it appears to be concrete! I'll tackle that next. Hard work this past weekend for just one guy, but it's getting there.

Once the last block is cleared the next step is to install the shower base/walls. I chose the Sterling Accord 60" preformed model.

I am leaving the bathroom floor tile and I'd like to leave the shower base (same as bathroom floor) intact. I'd like to install the new base over that tile shower floor. The original drain was mortared/formed to the tile floor and I know I need to remove that drain in order for the new drain to connect to the drain pipe in the subfloor.

Questions:

1. Can I install the preformed base over the tile shower floor or should I chisel out the tile floor too? My worry is the length of the drain pipe sticking out of the concrete subfloor may be too short if it has to clear the extra inch or so of the tiled base.

2. If I can install over the tile, is there a good way to extend the drain pipe up to meet the new shower drain on the new base? without breaking up the cement subfloor?

3. Whether I leave the tile floor or take it out, someone told me I should put some sand (all purpose) under the preformed base onto the slab that acts as a support barrier between the base and the floor. Months of standing/walking in the shower could cause it to give and maybe crack and the sand will help prevent this. ----- Is this a good idea or not necessary?

Thanks in advance for any insights/advice.

Users who are viewing this thread