What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home warranty question (1 Viewer)

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
So we got a home warranty thrown in when we bought our house. Water heater went out. We had it repaired. Same part failed and the new tech noticed charring marks all over and determined it is no longer safe. Needs a replacement.

According to our home warranty anything required to bring the new unit up to code isn't covered. That's fine, that's in the policy. So the sediment trap and pan I have no issues paying for.

But the company they subbed it to says they won't replace a water heater without also doing a bunch of other stuff. They want to put in stainless supply lines. They want to move where the drain line is because they want to use a different shape water heater. And they want to put in a brand new flu vent, also due to positioning. 834 bucks extra.

First AHS tried to tell me these were all code required. Then they said they just have to rely on the contractors recommendations and there is nothing they can do.

The tech flat out told me that his company does this because they want to make more money on these calls.

What's the play here?

So we got a home warranty thrown in when we bought our house. Water heater went out. We had it repaired. Same part failed and the new tech noticed charring marks all over and determined it is no longer safe. Needs a replacement.

According to our home warranty anything required to bring the new unit up to code isn't covered. That's fine, that's in the policy. So the sediment trap and pan I have no issues paying for.

But the company they subbed it to says they won't replace a water heater without also doing a bunch of other stuff. They want to put in stainless supply lines. They want to move where the drain line is because they want to use a different shape water heater. And they want to put in a brand new flu vent, also due to positioning. 834 bucks extra.

First AHS tried to tell me these were all code required. Then they said they just have to rely on the contractors recommendations and there is nothing they can do.

The tech flat out told me that his company does this because they want to make more money on these calls.

What's the play here?
Call someone else.

I know you may have some limitations for who does the work but if you have the option do it.

I will also add that as a guy who has to deal with home warranty companies from time to time, it is a massive pain in the arse for the contractor. I can't tell you how many wasted hours I spend dealing with them.

I will also add that water heater sizes have changed over the last few years. When I replaced mine it was a lot taller, so I had to do some modifications to my plumbing and venting.

I will also add that water heater sizes have changed over the last few years. When I replaced mine it was a lot taller, so I had to do some modifications to my plumbing and venting.
There is a unit at home depot with the exact same dimensions.

ETA...same specs as far as gallons and btu as well.

What's the play here?
Call someone else.

I know you may have some limitations for who does the work but if you have the option do it.

I will also add that as a guy who has to deal with home warranty companies from time to time, it is a massive pain in the arse for the contractor. I can't tell you how many wasted hours I spend dealing with them.
I can imagine it's a pain. But that's not my fault or my deal. I mean these are adults and they don't have to agree to take on the home warranty work. This is obviously a company that they have worked out an agreement with.

A woman just called me and told me there is a cash in lieu option. So now somebody else has to contact me to tell me what that amount is.

I asked for a second opinion also and she told me there is no second opinion option.

There are 2 basic sizes... Tall and Short, maybe you went from a short to a tall?

If you are at all handy around the house, it isn't that big a deal to replace a water heater if you don't have to rerun lines.

ETA: I took the cash option and just did mine myself in the same situation. Wasn't that difficult, but would have paid to have it done if any lines had to be rerun or moved.

There are 2 basic sizes... Tall and Short, maybe you went from a short to a tall?
No, I went from tall to tall. The new one was about 8" taller.

I can imagine it's a pain. But that's not my fault or my deal. I mean these are adults and they don't have to agree to take on the home warranty work. This is obviously a company that they have worked out an agreement with.

A woman just called me and told me there is a cash in lieu option. So now somebody else has to contact me to tell me what that amount is.

I asked for a second opinion also and she told me there is no second opinion option.
Oh yeah, for sure. I'm not implying you did anything wrong.

Just trying to give you the perspective of a contractor having to deal with these guys. I could see some companies trying to add services to try and make extra money since they have to deal with the warranty company.

I know if I have a new customer call in that has a home warranty company we just tell the customer we are a COD company and need payment at time of service. Meaning, you pay us and then you can get reimbursement from the home warranty company. I then provide them all the documentation they need to make a claim. I always tell them to clear it with the home warranty company that you can use your own contractor.

But we, as a company, don't serve as official contractors for home warranty companies. They are all slow-payers, meaning we won't get reimbursed for sometimes 90-180 days. We can't operate like that.

If you are at all handy around the house, it isn't that big a deal to replace a water heater if you don't have to rerun lines.

ETA: I took the cash option and just did mine myself in the same situation. Wasn't that difficult, but would have paid to have it done if any lines had to be rerun or moved.
Yeah I will likely do myself as I have also learned from the plumbing company that the unit they would install is basically the cheapest unit you can get. Shortest warranty, not even widely available, basically the generic supply house version of a rheem.

I won't have to rerun anything. The dimensions on the 9 year rheem at home depot are 100% exact.

Found out I can dispose of old one for 9 dollars at our local recycling center.

Luckily this is happening in summer in AZ. 100 degree water showers are far more comfy than 60degree.

Users who are viewing this thread