What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (14 Viewers)

Damn this is such a shame. 

I had hoped that this could be a home for the US for big games once it was made soccer ready.  I think the support here would have been great since it does not have a ton of hispanics who often root for their home country.  But that is all out the window now.

https://twitter.com/PaulTenorio/status/1387459114624856064?s=20
Not sure why you thought this...300,000+ hispanics in the metro area, 150,000 just in the Charlotte county.  If the US played Mexico you'd be lucky to hear a single word of English in that stadium.

Regardless...turf sucks.

Not sure why you thought this...300,000+ hispanics in the metro area, 150,000 just in the Charlotte county.  If the US played Mexico you'd be lucky to hear a single word of English in that stadium.

Regardless...turf sucks.
Oh my bad.  I looked up the demographics online on the area and it showed a very low % of hispanics in the area (in comparison to most US cities).  The data must have been incorrect.

Matthias Jaissle is Aaronson's new coach at RBS.   

He is only 33 and comes up through the Red Bull coaching tree.  He has coached the RBS U18 team and was most recently coaching FC Liefering, which is owned by Red Bull and acts as a feeder/reserve team for RBS in the Austrian second division.

Larry Henry Jr

@lhenry019

Hamburg’s 1-1 draw today means Greuther Furth sits 5 pts clear in the second automatic promotion spot with 3 matches remaining. Major opportunity to clinch next weekend for Julian Green

Good, no one did anything stupid here

=========

[Carlisle] Club source tells ESPN that Orlando and Barnsley have agreed a deal to keep Daryl Dike with Barnsley through the English Championship playoffs that will determine promotion to the #EPL. Orlando will get an undisclosed fee in return for Dike staying with Barnsley.

Sargent vs Adams in the German Cup semi finals today.

Gio plays in the other semi tomorrow with Dortmund.

This combines to lead to an excellent chance of yet another American winning a trophy this year

Maybe your dream of him coaching the NT is real.  
with only a two year contract, what do you think is reasonable for RBL to consider him successful?  Is it just maintaining status quo (knock out rounds of Champions League and qualifying for the next UCL), or are they expecting RBL to take the next step and finally dethrone Bayern?

I guess the transfer budget this summer will give us a hint of the expectations.  Marsch losing Upamecano immediately to Bayern does not help but they should have a great deal of cash to spend in a depressed market.

with only a two year contract, what do you think is reasonable for RBL to consider him successful?  Is it just maintaining status quo (knock out rounds of Champions League and qualifying for the next UCL), or are they expecting RBL to take the next step and finally dethrone Bayern?

I guess the transfer budget this summer will give us a hint of the expectations.  Marsch losing Upamecano immediately to Bayern does not help but they should have a great deal of cash to spend in a depressed market.
I can't imagine they'd expect him to compete with Bayern.  They lost their best player last season and now will lose their best player this season.  If they were expecting to compete, then they'd need to find a way to keep these guys rostered.

The UCL final is played on May 29th.

The US friendly that leads directly into the Nations League semi finals is May 30th.

That means if Man City and/or Chelsea make the UCL finals, both Pulisic(certain if he plays) and Steffen (most likely even if he doesn't play) will miss the friendly.   This friendly was the only game left to see the first team play together before a meaningful game.

Hopefully Pulisic will be ready for the semi final in Nations League play as that is a few days later on June 3rd.

The UCL final is played on May 29th.

The US friendly that leads directly into the Nations League semi finals is May 30th.

That means if Man City and/or Chelsea make the UCL finals, both Pulisic(certain if he plays) and Steffen (most likely even if he doesn't play) will miss the friendly.   This friendly was the only game left to see the first team play together before a meaningful game.

Hopefully Pulisic will be ready for the semi final in Nations League play as that is a few days later on June 3rd.
Torn. Would love to see them in the friendly, but the potential to make a mark in a UCL final? 

Screw the friendly. 
I see the point especially when it is the biggest club game in the world but we have been saying this for too long.  We still have never seen the team play together.  That is absolutely crazy this close to qualifying.

I see the point especially when it is the biggest club game in the world but we have been saying this for too long.  We still have never seen the team play together.  That is absolutely crazy this close to qualifying.
I bet that's true for a lot of national teams. Injuries, COVID, etc during the last 12 mo.

I bet that's true for a lot of national teams. Injuries, COVID, etc during the last 12 mo.
I agree, it is true for the last 12 months for every one, however there is no national team in the world as young as the current US team.   Almost every other team has at least been together in some form before covid.

Before Covid many/most of the current throng of young US players were not National team ready yet.  Hell, some of them were not even pros yet, much less National Team players.  Dike was in college, players like Reynolds and Aaronson were still in the academy, Gio was still a youth player...etc etc

Even our most experienced youngsters like Pulisic, Weston and Adams have not started a national team game together yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
..and Sargent missed one he should’ve made it looks like, which would have put Werder Bremen ahead of RBL (Adams did not play) in their loss in the other Pokémon semi.

And at some point in the 2nd half a BWB player went down badly with an ugly no contact injury (hyper extended knee)...you could hear him screaming in pain in the empty arena. I was watching on my phone and thought it was Gio (didn't know he had already subbed out) and my heart sunk.

NewlyRetired said:
So Adams vs Gio in the German Cup final.  American's rule domestic cup's this year..
Just to add to this:

Pulisic is in the FA Cup Final

Weston is in the Coppa Italia Final

So anywhere from 1 to 3 more Cups to go for Yanks this season.

It's raining Cups!!!!! :)

============

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Congratulations to Ben Lederman, 20, who becomes the latest American to win silverware! The California-born midfielder started and played 85 minutes for Raków Częstochowa in a 2-1 win over Arka Gdynia in the Polish Cup final

Doyle had a good description (Item 4 in his weekly MLS synopsis) of the 3-4-2-1 versus a diamond in relation to the NYCFC-Philly :-)hi: @Ned) match.  The only real reason I'm bringing it up, is Delia slotted Sands into the center of the back three and he was pretty instrumental in distribution.  One of Sands week points has been passing forward and well if you are the middle of the back three, you essentially have to pass forward which he did quite well.  Will be interesting to see if Delia transitions Sands to defense more.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/minnesota-in-trouble-rsl-s-new-tradition-and-more-from-week-3

Doyle had a good description (Item 4 in his weekly MLS synopsis) of the 3-4-2-1 versus a diamond in relation to the NYCFC-Philly :-)hi: @Ned) match.  The only real reason I'm bringing it up, is Delia slotted Sands into the center of the back three and he was pretty instrumental in distribution.  One of Sands week points has been passing forward and well if you are the middle of the back three, you essentially have to pass forward which he did quite well.  Will be interesting to see if Delia transitions Sands to defense more.  

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/minnesota-in-trouble-rsl-s-new-tradition-and-more-from-week-3
That rabona still pisses me off.  :hot:

Owen with a rare start today for Wolves in the 6 spot.  The 6 spot is kind of wide open behind Adams, so this could be a big opportunity for him.   He might be an interesting player to see in the Gold Cup where he could get extended minutes.

Owen with a rare start today for Wolves in the 6 spot.  The 6 spot is kind of wide open behind Adams, so this could be a big opportunity for him.   He might be an interesting player to see in the Gold Cup where he could get extended minutes.
Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Otasowie subbed out in the 71st with Wolves even with West Brom 1-1. It was an up and down game for him. He did really well on the Wolves goal. He's smooth w/ a nice touch. Still rusty (positionally & in situational awareness) from lack of minutes. He needs a loan, like yesterday

Cade Cowell was named MLS Player of the Week today.  Very cool for the 17 year old.   I hope this is not just a blip but a true step forward in his development.

Users who are viewing this thread