What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (18 Viewers)

Apologies if I missed it but I’m assuming you all heard the talk about Musah and already being tied to USMNT?  Said it was based on new rules.
There was nothing clear either way.

At the end Twellman said it was his understanding that he is not yet cap tied. 

It is a bit silly that some one can't get a definite answer from FIFA but FIFA worded the the new rule so poorly even they likely have no idea

Last edited by a moderator:
There was nothing clear either way.

At the end Twellman said it was his understanding that he is not yet cap tied. 

It is a bit silly that some one can't get a definite answer from FIFA but FIFA worded the the new rule so poorly even they likely have no idea
Huh - I thought they said he was but I did ha e to turn the sound down to take a call.  

Huh - I thought they said he was but I did ha e to turn the sound down to take a call.  
They made kind of a joke about it because no one really seems to know and the media gets a different answer depending on who they talk to.

I am really not worried either way.  Nothing is going to sway him by the time September rolls around IMO.

During the broadcast he did say it was his understanding that Musah WAS cap tied as of the Northern Ireland friendly.

During the broadcast he did say it was his understanding that Musah WAS cap tied as of the Northern Ireland friendly.
but wait, after the Northern Ireland friendly is when every one thought he was cap tied until Jeff Carlisle contacted US Soccer and had this follow up to correct the mistake

===============================================

Jeff Carlisle] So. Time for me to eat a little humble pie. Yunus Musah is *not* cap-tied to the U.S. for the reasons spelled out below. The USSF has been informed by FIFA as well. Kudos to @2026_usmnt for pushing on this. I don't think Musah is in any danger of jumping ship, but here you go.

So, how far off was this team from the one that just faced Mexico in the semifinals that they struggled with as well?
Starting line up had a few changes but some of the starters against Mexico also subbed in tonight.

I don't think it was much about personnel though as effort.  It appears Costa Rica was already on the beach mentally tonight and really gave no effort at all.  It was not like the US was a buzz saw tonight and they still out played them easily.

Busio is better than Acosta. 
There can be no question from a technical and soccer IQ point of view that Busio either already is or shortly will be way ahead of Acosta.

The main problem Busio faces is timing.   He absolutely has to dominate the Gold Cup in what ever minutes he gets since it will be really his only chance to impress GGG this late before qualifying starts.

I just hope GGG is willing to admit that he can and should improve on Yueill independent of Acosta, who likely can stick around as a swiss army knife.  He played the 8, the 6 and LB fairly well in these last two games.

Anyone else chuckle at our resident Diva fighting with his teammate to take the PK in a meaningless friendly that they were already winning 3-0? :)

If you want to see why the Musah case has been so confusing, read the 3rd paragraph here.  I believe this was the response from FIFA after the Northern Ireland match of which we all thought he was going to be capped tied as his 4th friendly for the US.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ex0s-iYVcAYbdVX?format=png&name=small

Carlisle posted just a couple of days ago that nothing has changed and Musah is still not cap tied until he plays an official game due to that 3rd paragraph.   Maybe some one in US Soccer got a new definition from FIFA and then told Twellman about it tonight.

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

USMNT vs Concacaf opponents since November:

7-0-0

Goals for: 31

Goals against: 5

Next: Gold Cup July 10-Aug 1

I know the game was totally meaningless but that duals number is outrageous

====================

Tutul Rahman

@tutulismyname

Yunus Musah v Costa Rica

75 minutes

41/47 passes

2 key passes

2/2 long balls

1 big chance missed

5/5 dribbles (!!)

15/17 duels won (!!!!)

3/3 aerials

2 recoveries

Starting line up had a few changes but some of the starters against Mexico also subbed in tonight.

I don't think it was much about personnel though as effort.  It appears Costa Rica was already on the beach mentally tonight and really gave no effort at all.  It was not like the US was a buzz saw tonight and they still out played them easily.
uS played awesome tonight. 

FWIW, multiple people online are saying Twellman was wrong about Musah being cap tied.

WTF knows at this point.    :shrug:

I don't get why one of the media guys just does not directly ask GGG.  They are likely to get a straight answer from him.

FWIW, multiple people online are saying Twellman was wrong about Musah being cap tied.

I don't get why one of the media guys just does not directly ask GGG.  They are likely to get a straight answer from him.
I just asked Sciaretta directly as he is as plugged in as any one and this was his response:

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

From what I know, he’s not cap tied

Who freaking cares?  Is he going to play with a bunch of Tottenham scrubs or the best young team in the world?

Just wrapped it up.

I loved how quickly they were moving the ball early on. Even without much pressure, they were still not waitimg for it- jist bopping it along 1-2 touch. Opened up the field, especially the wings...although CR clearly wasnt trying and the space was always going to be there. Cant be emphasized enough...CR did not try or care at all here, ceding space and time all over the field until just around their box.

Adams. Yes. The shape just happens around him because he gets it. Knows where to be, when to close down man or space, what ball to play. So good at making the team better even without the ball.

Looooved how Adams and Musah combined. They were reading other so well, each pushing forward dropping back to find those seams. And i just love watching Musah turn and gobble up space with the ball. I am 100% in on SwagAdaMusah. 

Aaronson is just electric. Love how he tries ####. Love his vision and creativity to even see the #### to be tried. Still just a bit soft on the ball physically, but has a great motor and solid closing speed. Sold on super sub or fill in starter.

Dike. Yeah...not sold. Really liked seeing somebody show and get to the ball first. Gave the US that option finally. Also like how he sees the vertical seams...alrhough again, CR today weren't exactly trying. The problem is he lacks high level skills with the ball. Passes arent placed or weighted well. Touch isnt tidy. Too many almost chances lost as a result...just not good enough yet.

Weah was frosty tonight! A bit selfish...but when you're feeling it, go for it. Nice game for him to cement a spot moving forward. 

Just wrapped it up.

I loved how quickly they were moving the ball early on. Even without much pressure, they were still not waitimg for it- jist bopping it along 1-2 touch. Opened up the field, especially the wings...although CR clearly wasnt trying and the space was always going to be there. Cant be emphasized enough...CR did not try or care at all here, ceding space and time all over the field until just around their box.

Adams. Yes. The shape just happens around him because he gets it. Knows where to be, when to close down man or space, what ball to play. So good at making the team better even without the ball.

Looooved how Adams and Musah combined. They were reading other so well, each pushing forward dropping back to find those seams. And i just love watching Musah turn and gobble up space with the ball. I am 100% in on SwagAdaMusah. 

Aaronson is just electric. Love how he tries ####. Love his vision and creativity to even see the #### to be tried. Still just a bit soft on the ball physically, but has a great motor and solid closing speed. Sold on super sub or fill in starter.

Dike. Yeah...not sold. Really liked seeing somebody show and get to the ball first. Gave the US that option finally. Also like how he sees the vertical seams...alrhough again, CR today weren't exactly trying. The problem is he lacks high level skills with the ball. Passes arent placed or weighted well. Touch isnt tidy. Too many almost chances lost as a result...just not good enough yet.

Weah was frosty tonight! A bit selfish...but when you're feeling it, go for it. Nice game for him to cement a spot moving forward. 
Costa Rica not trying?  Nope, this is how top talent in Europe that’s collected trophy after trophy all year plays against minnows. Embrace it and get used to it, maybe we can transfer to UEFA. 

[Jon Arnold] Costa Rican federation's executive committee "unanimously, together with the sporting directors, has taken the decision to remove Ronald González as manager of our senior national team"

Watched the match from start to finish, most of my thoughts have already been echoed here, but regardless...

1. Didn't like seeing Gio subbed in. Don't care about GGG's stated goal of emulating WC qualifying--which I don't think he's really doing, based on his prior decisions--and sure enough Gio took a beating unnecessarily.

2. Glad I got to see Cannon's first USMNT goal. It was a beaut.

3. Had to cringe when Dike watched that perfect cross roll past him.

4. Thought Zim made smart choices with the ball.  I've liked his game when he's played for the Nats, maybe not much of a dropoff between him and Miazga?

5. Musah looked so calm on the ball, still something I'm getting used to seeing from anyone wearing a USMNT jersey.

6. Also didn't like subbing in Dest at the end.

One sign of progress is that we now have two Americans linked with going to Arsenal to play RB and I don’t like the move for either. In addition to the Dest rumor a couple of days ago, today’s rumor is that Arteta wants Adams to play as an inverted RB in his system. Which cracks me up considering the #### we all gave GGG for that idea. 

My son (13) will be playing with a new team next year and the coach said he envisions him playing an 11 role.  So where do we get a decent Aaronson jersey?   :drive:

[Jon Arnold] Costa Rican federation's executive committee "unanimously, together with the sporting directors, has taken the decision to remove Ronald González as manager of our senior national team"
I was surprised to hear they're winless in eleven games.  That's quite a run given the teams they typically play.  They weren't exactly dying for their coach last night though.  They didn't shut down a passing lane all night.

Maybe no longer the 3rd best team in Concacaf either?
I'm not familiar enough with the side to tell if they've got real personnel issues or if it's something else, but I think it's fair to ask.  I don't think we'll have trouble qualifying this time around -- we've got the horses -- but if CR is down it helps a lot.

I'd put a lot more stock on the 11 games without a win than their performance last night though.  It will not be like that in qualifying.

Berhalter may have his flaws, but he's assembled a good group, including the landing of some duals that make the team deeper and better, helped foster a culture where they love playing together and give everything they have on the field and, generally, seem to be learning how to play together.  Some of the tactical stuff needs work (holding subs too long, the Ream-back-three, etc), but overall I don't see how you can give him anything less than a B+/A- so far.

Users who are viewing this thread