What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (18 Viewers)

Pretty good chance that the third best team in CONCACAF hasn’t qualified fir the Octagonal yet. 

I have no doubt CR and Honduras will be hard to play away, but Canada low key scares the #### out of me. 
A fully staffed Jamaica team is also potentially pretty scary (if they snag the dual nats that they're rumored to land)

When do the dates and locations for the WC qualifying games come out?
Probably a few weeks after the ocho is filled out.  Maybe some time in July?

The US only plays at home once in the first three games, against the Canada-Haiti winner.

That is going to be a fairly easy game to place as there are a ton of stadiums we could use with no issues.  To limit some travel, I could see it being in the more southern parts of the country, since the two games on either side of it will be in Central America.

. Thought Zim made smart choices with the ball.  I've liked his game when he's played for the Nats, maybe not much of a dropoff between him and Miazga?
Agree. Really solid in distribution, good in the air and not Ream-slow. Definitely deserves to he in there.

Speaking of Ream..thats the perfect game for him. Cover on the wings, Adams shutting doen the channels, and the opposition going full speed (for Ream, half-speed for everyone else). Hes so good with his passing and decision making on the ball- just have to find the right slo-mo opportunities for him.

Just saw that two of our last three games are away to Mexico and then at Costa Rica on the last day.  Hopefully we don't go into that game needing a result.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw that two of our last three games are away to Mexico and then at Costa Rica on the last day.  Hopefully we don't go into that game needing a result.
yeah, we talked about that when the ocho was first released.  It certainly gives even greater impetus to get off to a good start in qualifying.   We have never won in Mexico in qualifying and have never even picked up a point in CR in qualifying.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Current #USMNT forward Jordan Siebatcheu will be managed by former #USMNT forward David Wagner - who was hired as the new manager for Swiss champions BSC Young Boys.

Taking the favorite (YMMV) in each play-in matchup:

September 2021

• El Salvador v USA
  • USA v Canada
  • Honduras v USA
October 2021

• USA v Jamaica
  • Panama v USA
  • USA v Costa Rica
November 2021

• USA v Mexico
  • Jamaica v USA
January 2022

• USA v El Salvador
  • Canada v USA
  • USA v Honduras
March 2022

• Mexico v USA
  • USA v Panama
  • Costa Rica v USA

Lets have some fun with basic math.

Points per game for team that came in 3rd in qualifying

1998: 1.4

2002: 1.7

2006: 1.6

2010: 1.6

2014: 1.5

2018: 1.3

That is an average of 1.5 points per game.

Using that 1.5 for the Ocho, would mean the team in 3rd will roughly need 21 points to qualify over the 14 games.

Interestingly that works out to a perfect 7 wins at home and needing no points on the road.

If the US plays well, I feel like a 5-1-1 record is very achievable at home, which means they only need to scrape 5 points from 7 games total on the road to qualify (on average).

You can see from these numbers, how important grabbing a win in that first game at ELS/StKitts could be long term, especially if we want to avoid being forced to get points at Mexico and at CR at the very end of the cycle.

One sign of progress is that we now have two Americans linked with going to Arsenal to play RB and I don’t like the move for either. In addition to the Dest rumor a couple of days ago, today’s rumor is that Arteta wants Adams to play as an inverted RB in his system. Which cracks me up considering the #### we all gave GGG for that idea. 
To be fair, we gave GGG #### for the idea because it made no sense for the US and still doesn't. 

As we can see, Adams being in the middle of the field is really important as the next best player behind him in that role is miles behind him in quality.

If we had another player at the 6 who could play at Adams's level, the inverted RB may have worked out well for GGG, but it doesn't make any sense for our current roster IMO.

oh this is interesting.....I don't know what unforeseen circumstances GGG was talking about though but this is at least a possible valid reason why Musah did not play in the two nation league games...

======================

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3ffJRRXwAUfEYS?format=jpg&name=medium
I am hoping there is some real truth to this and not just an excuse.  Every single game Musah has played for the US, I have been impressed with him.  I would have loved to see him in a non friendly situation but that will have to wait.

His skill set, even as inexperienced as he is, seems so perfect for the #8 GGG wants to use.  I really think he is a more complete player than LLetget is at that spot.

It is clear that LLetget is a binky type of player for GGG (almost every coach has one of these).  I really would love to see a Musah/Adams/Weston triangle get an extended run together though...

• Sargent - Pefok
  • Pulisic - Reyna - Aaronson - Weah (holy ####)
  • McKennie - Lletget - Musah
  • Adams - Acosta
  • Robinson - Dest - Cannon
  • Brooks - McKenzie - Richards
  • Steffan - Horvath
That's 19 players that seem likely to be called up for the foreseeable future if healthy.  I think Long is the only auto-pick that's missing right now to long-term injury.  And I'm assuming Richards is core.

Dike (I'm still lower on him than others in this thread), Miazga, Yedlin, and Bryan Reynolds might be in that mix too.  So that's 24 players who might be a core right now.

Can't wait to see the "next" 15-20 players on the Gold Cup team.  All of them know, without a doubt, they have to play well to even be considered in the group above.  

Anyone want to take a stab at a GC 23?

.Anyone want to take a stab at a GC 23?
This is not a 23 but just players who will likely get a look. 

Gk: Turner

LB: Bello and Vines

CB: Zimmerman, EPB, Sands, Richards and Robinson (Miles)

DM: Busio and Williams

MF: LDT, Green, Owen, Roldan

Wings: Nips, Boyd, Konrad

Strike: Zardes, Hoppe

Not sure about RB since we had so many involved in this current camp.

• Gk: Turner
  • LB: Bello and Vines
  • CB: Zimmerman, EPB, Sands, Richards and Robinson (Miles)
  • DM: Busio and Williams
  • MF: LDT, Green, Owen, Roldan
  • Wings: Nips, Boyd, Konrad
  • Strike: Zardes, Hoppe
Bolded are the players I'm hoping to see big things from/I think might have a shot to step up to the main squad.

Turner (or Ochoa) and Richards may be there now.

LDLT, we definitely have a spot for another #8 - so all he has to do is claim it.  And he jumps off the screen to me every time I see him.

As you suggested timing may be a problem for Busio as far as WCQ and then the WC.  Even if he's good enough, does he have enough opportunity to break in?  And would you really take an 19-year old D-mid to the World Cup?  Acosta's versatility might hurt Busio here too.

Sands I don't know much about, but everyone who seems to know what they're talking about likes his game and there's room for a good CB.

Wow, I suck at evaluating players.  I could watch that specfic game last night a 100 times and never come out with rating Lletget higher than Musah. 

I must look at the wrong items when watching individual play.
I didn't agree with most of those ratings.  I was referring mostly to the bullet points.

oh this is interesting.....I don't know what unforeseen circumstances GGG was talking about though but this is at least a possible valid reason why Musah did not play in the two nation league games...

======================

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E3ffJRRXwAUfEYS?format=jpg&name=medium
I still think if we weren't forced to use a sub for Steffen that Musah would have gotten some minutes vs. Mex. (Also hurt that we had to sub out Ream.)  Those 5 subs were really used up quick w/ those forced changes.

This is not a 23 but just players who will likely get a look. 

Gk: Turner

LB: Bello and Vines

CB: Zimmerman, EPB, Sands, Richards and Robinson (Miles)

DM: Busio and Williams

MF: LDT, Green, Owen, Roldan

Wings: Nips, Boyd, Konrad

Strike: Zardes, Hoppe

Not sure about RB since we had so many involved in this current camp.
Is 'Williams' supposed to be Williamson?

I'd expect Llanez to be on this list also if healthy.

I suspect that the roster will exclude a lot of the really young guys who we'd like to see, so not really expecting Bello to make the team and not as sure about Busio as others seem to be.  Other guys in same category would include Che, Booth, Cowell, Clark, etc.

Would be amazing if we could use this as an opportunity to secure any of the top dual nationals that haven't committed yet.

I suspect that the roster will exclude a lot of the really young guys who we'd like to see, so not really expecting Bello to make the team and not as sure about Busio as others seem to be.  Other guys in same category would include Che, Booth, Cowell, Clark, etc.
Attacking players have a better chance of breaking in young IMO, but I think these guys are likely all fighting to get into the squad for the next cycle.  Exciting to think about a couple of them (and maybe a name or two not even on our radar yet) being added to the core we've got already though.

btw... what's the story with CCV these days? 23 years old, 2000 minutes for Championship Playoff team, Bournemouth.  Whoscored has him at 6.79 - which is solid EPL territory.  And lists him with a bunch of strengths and no weaknesses.  How is he not even on the USMNT radar right now?

Losing the U20 WC to Covid and having Kries absolutely bottle the U23 roster really does leave us thin on being able to evaluate young talent.

•  
  • Pulisic - Reyna - Aaronson - Weah (holy ####)
This really hits home thinking about the timing of Morris's injury. 

There is a decent chance Morris, who was considered a starter for the US when he blew his knee out, might never make a full US squad again, much less start, even if he unlikely regains 100% of his form again.

This really hits home thinking about the timing of Morris's injury. 

There is a decent chance Morris, who was considered a starter for the US when he blew his knee out, might never make a full US squad again, much less start, even if he unlikely regains 100% of his form again.
Had the same thought for Arriola.  The depth there is so strong that the Ralston line is nowhere near good enough anymore.

FWIW, multiple people online are saying Twellman was wrong 
This is usually true everytime Twellman speaks.

Only watched about half the game.  CRC, imo, didn't care, didn't pressure and weren't really playing hard.  Saw some good things by the US but overall they did what was expected vs a team just trying to get to the beach.  Heck, Aaronson dancing on the end line didn't get whacked.

oh, another obvious guy for Gold Cup I forgot is Pomykal if he is 100%.  

The guy was literally designed in the lab to do exactly what GGG needs at the 8.  When healthy and in form, he is a massive upgrade from Lletget.

Pomykal, IMO, was the best player on that loaded U20 team that beat France.

But I have no feel for his game post his long injury recovery.  He could be JAG at this point.

I know GGG doesn't give two ####s about naming a permanent captain, but if he did, you could make a valid case for any of the 3 amigos (Pulisic, Weston, Adams).  They each bring a different element to the team in terms of leadership.

I think 3rd is gonna need a higher average to advance given the introduction of presumably 2-more weaker sides.  We gotta avoid draws against the group minnows.

Pretty amazing that T&T got pipped by St Kitts and Nevis :eek: and awful draws is what did them in.

Curacao taking out Guatemala is pretty hilarious too.  Would be fun if one of them can somehow sneak into the Ocho

-QG

I think 3rd is gonna need a higher average to advance given the introduction of presumably 2-more weaker sides.  We gotta avoid draws against the group minnows.

Pretty amazing that T&T got pipped by St Kitts and Nevis :eek: and awful draws is what did them in.

Curacao taking out Guatemala is pretty hilarious too.  Would be fun if one of them can somehow sneak into the Ocho

-QG
Curacao is loaded with Eredivisie players and managed by Guus Hiddink.  I don't think it's at all a surprise that they took out Guatemala and I favor them over Panama (who I think is in pretty steep decline).  

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Current #USMNT forward Jordan Siebatcheu will be managed by former #USMNT forward David Wagner - who was hired as the new manager for Swiss champions BSC Young Boys.
Who?

Taking the favorite (YMMV) in each play-in matchup:

September 2021

• El Salvador v USA
  • USA v Canada
  • Honduras v USA
October 2021

• USA v Jamaica
  • Panama v USA
  • USA v Costa Rica
November 2021

• USA v Mexico
  • Jamaica v USA
January 2022

• USA v El Salvador
  • Canada v USA
  • USA v Honduras
March 2022

• Mexico v USA
  • USA v Panama
  • Costa Rica v USA
So....yikes. ES probably the only "easy" game, and theyll be brutal away. All the rest are decent...if HON, PAN and CR live up to form. Or they could all drop off...

Wow, I suck at evaluating players.  I could watch that specfic game last night a 100 times and never come out with rating Lletget higher than Musah. 

I must look at the wrong items when watching individual play.
I thought Lletget was fantastic on the night. Crisp on the ball and moved around really well. He was everywhere. I could see a case beimg made that he was more influential on the game than Musah.

I thought Lletget was fantastic on the night. Crisp on the ball and moved around really well. He was everywhere. I could see a case beimg made that he was more influential on the game than Musah.
My biggest fear is that GGG gives favoritism to players he is most familiar with (lletget and Yueill) which is why I brought up the MLS stuff, it looks like unintentional favoritism to me.

And not enough leniency to elite talents like Dike and Musah.

I can't think of a player Gregg is more familiar with than Zardes.  And Zardes has been relatively productive for the USMNT.  But he wasn't in the team for these games.  

elite talents like Dike
:no:

hopefully he gets there- he has a lot of the intangibles.

I look at Yueill and Lletget as being guys that are familiar, yes, but that fill needed roles there isnt a ton of depth for. Lletgets jackknife ability and very high floor makes him an easy inclusion ona roster. yueill...bleh. out of rated necessity. But we all saw how good he looked against tougher competition..not good. Acosta passed him in the pecking order, so i doubt we see much more of Yueill.

Users who are viewing this thread