What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

I guess we need to add Pepi to the Euro jump list.....

============

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

two Italian clubs wanted him (Pepi) in January

I guess we need to add Pepi to the Euro jump list.....

============

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

two Italian clubs wanted him (Pepi) in January
I was just going to say that.  He certainly looks miles better than last year already.  I have little doubt he'll find himself in Europe in the next year and a half.

The first goal was really on the GK IMO.  No way he should have stayed on his line there, but the 2nd is nice work.

Watching some of the highlights, the one Pepi didn't actually score on was impressive too.  Much more of a poachers instincts.

Pepi doesnt loom like hes filled out yet either...still that long lanky kid. Im sure he's hitting the weights, so hopefully he can find that balance of bulk to not lose a step.

oh dear me

====================

Gary Lineker 

@GaryLineker

· 59m

Nuno Espírito Santo becomes the 483rd person to turn down the @SpursOfficial job. I’m working with someone who actually would love the job and loves the club. @J_Klinsmann would be a great fit: charismatic, knowledgeable, experienced and a former player and fan’s favourite.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
The first goal was really on the GK IMO.  No way he should have stayed on his line there, but the 2nd is nice work.
That was Turner.  The camera did not show it fully but I assume from the way he was scrambling that he got caught in no man's land when the ball was turned over.

Pepi doesnt loom like hes filled out yet either...still that long lanky kid. Im sure he's hitting the weights, so hopefully he can find that balance of bulk to not lose a step.
Wiki lists him at only 6'1" but he looks taller than Sargent who is also listed at 6'1"

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Good news to see #USMNT forward Jordan Pefok starting for BSC Young Boys today in a preseason friendly under new manager and former U.S. international David Wagner. Pefok's injury against Costa Rica didn't look great. But it's very positive he's able to play and start today.

A move to Galatasaray would be eye opening.  

=========================

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/report-atlanta-united-s-george-bello-attracting-european-interest

One of the most talented young players in MLS is drawing an increasing amount of overseas interest, according to a weekend report from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Doug Roberson linking Atlanta United homegrown defender George Bello to multiple potential European suitors.

Turkish side Galatasaray are reportedly one of the clubs making a play for Bello, with clubs in England and Belgium also interested, per Roberson. Turkish journalist Volkan Kilic was the first to report Galatasaray as one of the teams interested in Bello.

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

The transfer of Konrad de la Fuente from Barcelona to Marseille is now complete. The American winger will move to France on a transfer valued €3 million and Barcelona has kept a % of a future sale

OK after watching WAAAAAY too much of the Euro's and Copa America, I have the following cliched take.

* The better European teams are better man for man technically than the US but my god, the lack of any creativity on most if not all of the teams is astounding.  There are like 1, maybe 2 guys on most teams that can create anything on their own.  I suddenly feel really good about the amount of creativity we have (granted none of it will be at the Gold Cup but that is a different story)

* I feel like it is almost the exact opposite in South America.  We match up fairly well technically man for man with most teams down there but they seem to have more players that can "play", for lack of a better word.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
The CB sounds like either EPB or CCV

===================

MLS Transfers

@MLSTransfers

Source tells me a few other players (excluding Luca de la Torre) have declined #USMNT Gold Cup call ups. One is a centerback. Official roster release coming tomorrow

OK after watching WAAAAAY too much of the Euro's and Copa America, I have the following cliched take.

* The better European teams are better man for man technically than the US but my god, the lack of any creativity on most if not all of the teams is astounding.  There are like 1, maybe 2 guys on most teams that can create anything on their own.  I suddenly feel really good about the amount of creativity we have (granted none of it will be at the Gold Cup but that is a different story)

* I feel like it is almost the exact opposite in South America.  We match up fairly well technically man for man with most teams down there but they seem to have more players that can "play", for lack of a better word.
One of my takeaways has been how the better euro teams all have a #9 who can consistently win and hold and create.

Looks like Boavista posted that Cannon will be at the Gold Cup.  If that is true, we should have our RB set for the entire tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm....

===============

[translated]

Forward Sebastian Soto will reinforce FC Porto, he can advance Maisfutebol. Soto is 20 years old, is international for the United States and belongs to Norwich. The dragons have secured the loan for a time and have a purchase option - Soto is valued at around one million euros. The athlete arrives this Wednesday at Cidade Invicta, will comply with all formalities - physical and bureaucratic - and, if all is well, will sign this concession contract valid for one season. Born in California, the striker trained at Real Salt Lake City and in 2018 was signed by the Germans from Hannover. He started with the juniors, impressed the club officials and had some appearances in the first team. Sebastian Soto played three games in the Bundesliga and went to the U20 World Cup with great motivation. That tournament put him on the radar of the big European clubs: at the World Cup he scored four goals in five games and was only behind Erling Haaland in the scorers list.

From Goff: 

Stand down: USMNT Gold Cup roster delayed until Thursday morning.
my poor F5 key might have welcomed this news earlier :(

looks like it will be 10:00am tomorrow

======================

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

Inquiring minds wanted to know, so here it is: The #USMNT @GoldCup roster will be announced TOMORROW at 10am ET.

Looks like if Gio is to make the leap from good pro, to upper tier pro, this will be his chance.  This should add anywhere from 300-500 minutes to his playing time I would expect.

============================================

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Jadon Sancho to Manchester United... HERE WE GO! #MUFC #Sancho Done deal confirmed. Agreement reached between Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund. €90m with add ons. Agents fee and personal terms agreed, contract until 2026. Medicals pending - then it’ll be official.

Looks like if Gio is to make the leap from good pro, to upper tier pro, this will be his chance.  This should add anywhere from 300-500 minutes to his playing time I would expect.

============================================

Fabrizio Romano

@FabrizioRomano

Jadon Sancho to Manchester United... HERE WE GO! #MUFC #Sancho Done deal confirmed. Agreement reached between Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund. €90m with add ons. Agents fee and personal terms agreed, contract until 2026. Medicals pending - then it’ll be official.
Thought of him immediately when bmav posted this in the soccer thread.

He didnt lack for minutes last season though...just fitness. Im hoping he can power through and maintain consistency of play even through the middle bits of the season...the time when hos wheels seemed to fall off this last season. 

He didnt lack for minutes last season though...just fitness. Im hoping he can power through and maintain consistency of play even through the middle bits of the season...the time when hos wheels seemed to fall off this last season. 
ironically the exact same thing happened to Sancho last season where for a long multiple month period he appeared to forget how good he was until he found it again.

He did come back and have a strong close to the season.  The run through the winter was, however, a nightmare in terms of productivity.

But he's a young player.  In terms of how he looked with the national team, Gio was miles better in the Nations League games than he had been before.  He's still at the point where we can expect large jumps in development and performance provided he gets time.  

Bayern & Germany

@iMiaSanMia

Chris Richards is set to start the preparation with FC Bayern. The defender could be an alternative in Nagelsmann's back 3. Hoffenheim remain interested in keeping him. His future, whether to stay, go out on loan or be sold, is likely to be decided in August [Kicker]

One of my takeaways has been how the better euro teams all have a #9 who can consistently win and hold and create.
so as we stand this minute, our top 3 strikers play in MLS (Dike), Bundie 2 (Sargent), and Swiss Super League (Pefok).

All these leagues are good enough for added depth on our national team but we should not be 3 players deep from the top with these level of leagues for a striker.

There is a chance both Dike and Sargent could improve their leagues this summer, hopefully.

So the general speculation from the USMNT beat media guys is that the roster was delayed because of late changes that had to be made. 

so as we stand this minute, our top 3 strikers play in MLS (Dike), Bundie 2 (Sargent), and Swiss Super League (Pefok).

All these leagues are good enough for added depth on our national team but we should not be 3 players deep from the top with these level of leagues for a striker.

There is a chance both Dike and Sargent could improve their leagues this summer, hopefully.
None of these guys have shown me enough the last year to feel good about any of them. Jozy?

None of these guys have shown me enough the last year to feel good about any of them. Jozy?
Jozy is struggling to get playing time behind Akinola and none of us rate Akinola above our current group. 

With Pepe/Cowell still likely a couple of years away, I don't see any answer for this cycle.  Jozy, Hoppe, Zardes,Gioacchini....none of these guys are going to make us sit up and take notice any more than the current group.

Personally I am old school and just want my best players on the field.  And to me that means take the best 3, at any given time, of Pulisic/Aaronson/Weah/Gio and let them play together.   Both Weah and Gio could easily be decent false 9's IMO.

But it might be that GGG's system requires a more typical #9.

Hopefully some one emerges.  Hoppe might get plenty of minutes during the Gold Cup unless he was one of the late changes.

Jozy is struggling to get playing time behind Akinola and none of us rate Akinola above our current group. 

With Pepe/Cowell still likely a couple of years away, I don't see any answer for this cycle.  Jozy, Hoppe, Zardes,Gioacchini....none of these guys are going to make us sit up and take notice any more than the current group.

Personally I am old school and just want my best players on the field.  And to me that means take the best 3, at any given time, of Pulisic/Aaronson/Weah/Gio and let them play together.   Both Weah and Gio could easily be decent false 9's IMO.

Hopefully some one emerges.  Hoppe might get plenty of minutes during the Gold Cup unless he was one of the late changes.
:yes:

Hmmmm, I am not sure what to make of this. 

Mexico has a friendly tonight which I had assumed was a warm up for the Gold Cup but almost none of the top players dressed for this game.

I'll just throw it out there, that there's a decently high non-zero chance one of Pepe or Cowell will be ready.  Maybe not for the qualifiers, but certainly by the WC (it's still 16 months off which means they're 19 by that time).  I will say it doesn't help that both play for sputtering teams and don't get great service (this is me saying they both need to get to Europe on their 18th birthday), but that chance is real (especially for Cowell since he's a man-child physically). 

A big part of me says bring one of the two and simply give them some run with 10 other more quality players than they're playing with now to see where they stand.  The area is one of our 4 biggest weakness (FW, depth at the 6, GK, and CB development) and both guys are potentially quick fixes.  

Users who are viewing this thread