What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (9 Viewers)

Fwiw…here’s an excellent tactical breakdown of the Honduran match.  The Honduran backline shape really broke down after their subs.  It seems we got very lucky the top three pressers got into man on man pressing situations.  The MO against us is to simply bypass the MF which seems CONCACAF has figured out to do with 4 in the back whether we play a 3-5-2 or 4-3-3.  The 4-3-3 at least puts an extra MFer in place to either press or provide cover.  

https://soccerdetail.com/2021/09/10/world-cup-qualifying-honduras-1-4-usa-tactical-analysis/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

tdlr: the outside backs stayed too wide and Honduras bypassed the press and we’re able to turn in face 2 MFs which is what you don’t want to have happen.  Really poor setup from GgG. 

Depth Chart per Fox Article
some good stuff but some odd stuff too.

I don't understand why the long term injured guys are on the depth chart.  Williamson is done for a long time.  Long and Morris have not played a minute of soccer since their injuries.

I know GGG loves familiarity with a player but I would be surprised if he rated Moore, who can't get any minutes in the second division in Spain over Scally who is getting a ton of minutes in the Bundesliga.

some good stuff but some odd stuff too.

I don't understand why the long term injured guys are on the depth chart.  Williamson is done for a long time.  Long and Morris have not played a minute of soccer since their injuries.

I know GGG loves familiarity with a player but I would be surprised if he rated Moore, who can't get any minutes in the second division in Spain over Scally who is getting a ton of minutes in the Bundesliga.
it also struggles by trying to slavishly out each guy into a slot. And I get that’s Gregg’s normal formation, but you end up with Acosta as an 8 when we know he’s the prime back-up at the 6. Or Ferreira as a right wing, when if he gets the call-up, he’d almost certainly play off Pepi which he’s done so well for Dallas  

Well no one can complain about him being a wall flower

========================

Bundesliga Analytics

@BuLiAnalytics

@borussia_en's young @USMNT fullback, @jjscally_10, has been busy this season:

For his team, Scally has the most touches of all players (316), the most touches in the attacking third (78), & the most progressive carries (26)

New Behind the Crest from HON game is up

https://youtu.be/hbNnc0ETQwI

spoiler….loved seeing Pulisic celebrate Pepi’s goal and seeing the locker room after the game. So awesome. 
The team chanting his name after his first ever start has to make Pepi feel like he made the right choice when you compare it to how the kids that chose Mexico were treated in contrast.

That was pretty sweet to see.

Yeah I caught that too. Serious business, that guy.

Pepi…for a kid playing in his first match for USMNT a to be recognized like that….got to be a watershed moment for US to start attracting more dual nats from Latino communities no? 

Pepi…for a kid playing in his first match for USMNT a to be recognized like that….got to be a watershed moment for US to start attracting more dual nats from Latino communities no? 
Julian Araujo will be the first test case to see Pepi's effect on players.

I made a post the day after the game, showing the Pepi effect on Latino fans on social media and it was everything we could have hoped for.

Now we just need to pray this was not a fluke.

New Behind the Crest from HON game is up

https://youtu.be/hbNnc0ETQwI

spoiler….loved seeing Pulisic celebrate Pepi’s goal and seeing the locker room after the game. So awesome. 
Pregame, didn't realize GGG was a F-bomber...  not complaining, just didn't expect it.  I actually like it.  

Still not used to the players wearing what looks like sports bras under their kits.

Such a great backflip.

Pepi goal still so pretty.

Crowd really turned on their players after goal 3.  I knew it, but seeing it again...  it was bad.

Team always seems to be having fun.  Going to take a lot of pain/loss for GGG to lose this team.  

that was awesome.

If you watch closely, the only guy not chanting is the guy who likely lost his job to Pepi, in Sargent :)
yep. another thing that jumped to me... when the players are all heading into the locker room post game- people screaming, yelling, pumping fists, celebrating- Prefok looks pretty solemn heading to his locker. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4475848/uswnt-players-association-us-soccers-identical-deals-proposal-is-a-pr-stunt

Shocker.....the women dont like the "identical offer to the men".

This also cracks me up....

"USSF's PR stunts and bargaining through the media will not bring us any closer to a fair agreement," the USWNTPA said on Twitter.

If that aint :potkettle:   I dont know what is.

We all know what they want. All the fringe benefits they get now (mat leave, health care, guaranteed salaries) AND the men's bonus structure. And oh yeah....they somehow want US soccer to come up with millions of additional dollars in FIFA world cup prize pool money.

Just complete nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
took a bit of a whorebath there.

I think Horvath is an interesting case study.  Because really the only argument I can make that he should even be the third GK is that relief stint against Mexico (I guess he was fine in the subsequent Costa Rica friendly too, but they were so checked out it hardly merits consideration).

Otherwise, he's played extremely sparingly for his club teams for 2 plus years and has still managed to somehow amass a collection of howlers in the few minutes he's gotten.  

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
I think Horvath is an interesting case study.  Because really the only argument I can make that he should even be the third GK is that relief stint against Mexico (I guess he was fine in the subsequent Costa Rica friendly too, but they were so checked out it hardly merits consideration).

Otherwise, he's played extremely sparingly for his club teams for 2 plus years and has still managed to somehow amass a collection of howlers in the few minutes he's gotten.  
The howlers need game time to shake out. He needed to win this starting gig or find somewhere else stat.

The howlers need game time to shake out. He needed to win this starting gig or find somewhere else stat.
Well, we have a number of goalkeepers who have gotten plenty of game time.  Guys who have been in the program like Johsnon and Guzan.  And guys like Melia who have inexplicably never been in the program (if this were pre-tournament instead of qualifying, I'd call in Melia because he's a PK god). 

Well, we have a number of goalkeepers who have gotten plenty of game time.  Guys who have been in the program like Johsnon and Guzan.  And guys like Melia who have inexplicably never been in the program (if this were pre-tournament instead of qualifying, I'd call in Melia because he's a PK god). 
yeah. most of us feel that Steffen and whorebath have the most upside though, right? and seemed set to be in great situations. but they're both going to stall if they can't get regular PT. I mean... I don't mind a guy like Johnson, but am content to roll the dice with the two out of work youngsters rather than with an aging and equally error-prone/low ceiling guy in Guzan. I still don't really know Melia's game at all- but trust you guys and your vote of confidence in him.

yeah. most of us feel that Steffen and whorebath have the most upside though, right? and seemed set to be in great situations. but they're both going to stall if they can't get regular PT. I mean... I don't mind a guy like Johnson, but am content to roll the dice with the two out of work youngsters rather than with an aging and equally error-prone/low ceiling guy in Guzan. I still don't really know Melia's game at all- but trust you guys and your vote of confidence in him.

I literally don't know what "upside" Horvath has.  He's not that young anymore (26).  He never set the world on fire when he was starting for Brugge (he had a few good games in big spots, like some Champions League group games, but he wasn't consistent).  Brugge went out of their way to sign Mignolet, who most thought was over the hill (and never even an average PL goalkeeper in his prime).  And Horvath never provided any inkling of competition for Mignolet.  And now he's had two chances to make Forest drop the incomparable Brice Samba and has been unconvincing in both.  

If we ignore mistakes and just went by upside, we'd still be calling in Bill Hamid, even if he's proven error and injury-prone for the Nats.  At least he's had seasons of data where he was close to the shot stopping force Turner is now.  

McKenzie got a couple minutes of timewasting duty in Genk's europa game today. 

Anybody know more? 

Is he on the bench? Or is he on the bench because he was on international duty and this is a europa game.

I literally don't know what "upside" Horvath has.  He's not that young anymore (26).  He never set the world on fire when he was starting for Brugge (he had a few good games in big spots, like some Champions League group games, but he wasn't consistent).  Brugge went out of their way to sign Mignolet, who most thought was over the hill (and never even an average PL goalkeeper in his prime).  And Horvath never provided any inkling of competition for Mignolet.  And now he's had two chances to make Forest drop the incomparable Brice Samba and has been unconvincing in both.  

If we ignore mistakes and just went by upside, we'd still be calling in Bill Hamid, even if he's proven error and injury-prone for the Nats.  At least he's had seasons of data where he was close to the shot stopping force Turner is now.  
his upside was based on my watching him for the US youth teams.

but yeah- as a pro... :crickets:

McKenzie got a couple minutes of timewasting duty in Genk's europa game today. 

Anybody know more? 

Is he on the bench? Or is he on the bench because he was on international duty and this is a europa game.
He came in at half of their game on 9/12.  That's all I know.  Hopefully he'll be back to starting this coming weekend.  

yikes

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

It sounds like the dormant U.S. U-20 team is going to have to wake up very, very quickly. I'll be writing my thoughts on this tonight. But anyway, as I reported. U-20 World Cup qualifying next summer will also qualify teams for 2024 Olympics. Single tournament.

yikes

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

It sounds like the dormant U.S. U-20 team is going to have to wake up very, very quickly. I'll be writing my thoughts on this tonight. But anyway, as I reported. U-20 World Cup qualifying next summer will also qualify teams for 2024 Olympics. Single tournament.
Interesting.  So assuming the full team is having camps/friendlies and Reyna, Musah, and Pepi pass, this would seem like the perfect time to see what Clark, Cowell, Che, Scally, Nyeman, and Aaronson the younger have.  I'd also be tempted to call in Pepi if he's still in MLS to ensure qualification.

Interesting.  So assuming the full team is having camps/friendlies and Reyna, Musah, and Pepi pass, this would seem like the perfect time to see what Clark, Cowell, Che, Scally, Nyeman, and Aaronson the younger have.  I'd also be tempted to call in Pepi if he's still in MLS to ensure qualification.
Add Quinn Sullivan to that list.

Add Quinn Sullivan to that list.
And Paredes too.  This age group has endless talent but covid has killed us from learning what they can do internationally.

Hopefully US Soccer hires a coach soon and he can get some friendlies in before this tournament starts.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Speaking of this age group, I know a ton of field players but I can't name a single keeper.  Does any one know who is near the top of the keepers in this U20 age group?

Sciaretta tweeted this interesting stat to show how the U20 qualifying tournament doubling as a U23 qualifying tournament should help the US

===========

The U.S. U-20 team qualified for 11 of last 12 U-20 WCs.

The U.S: U-23 team qualified for 1 of last 5 Olympics.

Users who are viewing this thread