What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (16 Viewers)

CONCACAF has set the countries for the Copa Centenario next summer.

Mexico and US automatically qualify

Costa Rica qualify as winners of the Copa CentraAmerica

Jamaica qualify as the Caribbean Cup winners

The last 2 team will come in the form of playoffs to be held on January 8 in Panama

Panama vs Cuba

T&T vs Haiti

The winner of those two matches will make up the final 2 CONCACAF teams of the Copa Centenario.

The 6 CONCACAF teams will join all 10 South American sides to form the 16 team tournament.

Honduras on the outside looking in................

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyi, Atlético plays with a double pivot most of the time in a 4-4-2 formation. Although defensively, they keep it in strict lines of 4, maintaining numbers in the midfield.

Gabi and Tiago are basically interchangeable, although the latter does get forward more often. There was a lot of talk in the offseason that Koke would play alongside one of those two guys in a double pivot, with he getting forward more. However, this far that hasn't happened, primarily due to injury, and also the play of Correa, Oliver, and Saúl not being good enough to warrant the unseating of an old Tiago (who can look like the best player on the field at times). Plus it gives Atlético great squad depth with young and old players in the midfield.

Carrasco has been great the last few games on the wing, but we'll see if that play continues. If so, I expect Koke to move inside and a more dynamic 4-4-2 to emerge with Koke playing as a deep lying playmaker.

I am a big advocate of the double pivot and 4-2-3-1 myself. It really allows for creativity up front, and you can attack quickly from almost anywhere if your fitness allows.

There are 8 teams left in the MLS playoffs.

DC, NYR, Montreal, Vancouver, Seattle, Dallas, Portland,and Columbus

Unless I am mistaken, there is only 1 regular US Nats player left, in Dempsey and 1 semi regular left in Evans.

Nagbe and Finlay are two that may become part of the US setup as well as Mazda soon enough.

Bradley, Jones, MVLee, Gonzo, Jozy, Zuisi, Besler, Rimando, Beckerman, Wondo, Zardes, Mix, Shea, and DMB are all out.

From ESPN on Bacon's hip surgery

==============

U.S. international Aron Johannsson is facing an uphill battle to return for Werder Bremen in 2015, the club's CEO Thomas Eichin has said.

PIK95 said:
I am a big advocate of the double pivot and 4-2-3-1 myself. It really allows for creativity up front, and you can attack quickly from almost anywhere if your fitness allows.
what type of player works best in the 1 in that formation.

Is it a traditional target player or a different skill set?

PIK95 said:

IMO, it depends on the players around him and how they're able to utilize that formation.

if the 1 gets 2-3 players always in support, a busy Aguero/Tevez/Suarez gype of guy is great IMO. If not, then a targety guy is better.

PIK95 said:

It depends if the two wider players in the "3" stay wide or tend to pinch in. If they pinch in the "1" needs to vacate the space/pull the CBs slightly out of position; if they go wider, the "1" ends up being the target for crosses. In today's game though, most of the outside players in the "3" end up pinching in, so you tend to want a more free flowing "1" (think Suarez or RVP or Tevez rather than Costa or Manduzac).

Its not even so much crosses as being able to play with your back to goal. My boo Benzema is one of the very best lone strikers in the world, but he doesn't really get on the end of that many crosses. He's just terribly proficient at making himself available as an outlet and serving as an efficient fulcrum on the counter.

Seeing Drogba do that 85 minutes into a game that he was already up 3-0 last night just made me want to kick Jozy.

Seeing names like Drogba, Benzema, Tevez, RVP, Suarez, Aguero, Costa, Mandzukic etc makes it very hard for me to map any of these to US players to understand better :(

It is like trying to map Victoria Secret's models to a local PTA meeting :(

Seeing names like Drogba, Benzema, Tevez, RVP, Suarez, Aguero, Costa, Mandzukic etc makes it very hard for me to map any of these to US players to understand better :(

on the one hand, ya got Ching. on the other, Aguadelo.

Seeing Drogba do that 85 minutes into a game that he was already up 3-0 last night just made me want to kick Jozy.
I don't know if you saw it but I made a post about seeing Drogba live a couple of weeks ago and the work he puts in off the ball which you can't see on camera was incredible. Every one standing around me kept commenting on it.

I never appreciated this guy enough even though I thought he was great. Just a consummate pro in every way on the field.

PIK95 said:

Personally I like a big there but obviously you need those five (fifth being a back or pivot joining the attack) to compliment each other as a group. The best part about this formation is the versatility. Second for me is that you can take chances throwing numbers on the attack without being destroyed on a counter usually.

I agree and that's why I always think D first when considering that formation. You don't need stars to make it work, just alot of speed and a little creativity if you can find it. It gives the attackers a lot of rope to take chances also imo. I like that.

Do you guys think Morris could fit the 1 in the coming years? His work rate and speed are excellent.
I don't have a sense of his tactical/space awareness, which is as important as the the physical requirements if he's playing the 1.

I always thought Jozy had a good soccer sense, but he's been just awful- especially so playing up front solo.

Do you guys think Morris could fit the 1 in the coming years? His work rate and speed are excellent.
I don't have a sense of his tactical/space awareness, which is as important as the the physical requirements if he's playing the 1.

I always thought Jozy had a good soccer sense, but he's been just awful- especially so playing up front solo.
Jozy has been awful. I don't care for Dempsey now but I always felt he had a great understanding of space. I don't watch these guys as much as all of you but maybe that's why I always liked Mix. He seems to know how to use space and I love that.

Arena said this week that it will be near impossible to keep their roster together this offseason due to cap issues.

If they can't find a way out of the Gerrard anchor, I think either or both of Gonzo and Zardes are going to have to be moved. There have been times where Liga MX teams have been interested in Gonzo but his new deal could prohibit that type of move.

I can't quite figure out where Zardes would best fit in Europe, but salary is of no issue, especially if LA keeps the transfer price reasonable ($2-$4 millionish).

I know most will remember him as not getting the most out of what god gave him, but I enjoyed watching him play, loved his late career renaissance and will remember his contributions to the national team.

=================

"At the end of the day, my health is more important. I don't want to be running around on the field and have something bad happen to me."

-- MLS veteran Eddie Johnson, who officially announced his retirement after being sidelined since 2014 when the 31-year-old was discovered to have a heart condition. Johnson scored 71 goals and made 21 assists in 202 MLS regular-season appearances. EJ scored 19 goals in 63 international caps.

I know this is greedy considering how the US has been playing the last 6 months, but I really think they need a 3-0 win or better to start the qualification round.

I know the 3 points are paramount, but considering the US are playing the weakest team in the group, at home, and that goal differential has factored into this shorter round of qualification before for other teams, I don't think they want to waste this game with a basic 1 goal type win.

I don't care if JK starts Wondo and Gordon up top. Goals should come in this game, and hopefully in bunches.

You guys talk about Jurgens push for birth year age groups for youth soccer. Guy is killing my U9 team. Thanks a lot

You guys talk about Jurgens push for birth year age groups for youth soccer. Guy is killing my U9 team. Thanks a lot
can you explain more about this? What is the birth age thing?

As a side related note, it appears that many of the positive items JK was credited for implementing in the system, were either already in place or implemented by others.

My understanding is that US Soccer age groups were school year based. FIFA age groups are calendar year based, so US Soccer is going to follow the FIFA model. I understand that this will break up many established teams, but its hard to get too exorcised by it.

As a side related note, it appears that many of the positive items JK was credited for implementing in the system, were either already in place or implemented by others.
Right now my team's age group is 8/1/04-8/1/05. It will change to 1/1/04-1/1/05. Eight out of my current group that I have had for a few years now are 8/1/04-12/04. The rest are mostly 6/05-7/05. If I followed the change the team would split. We will just play up an age bracket instead. Socially its a pretty tight group. My son is a 7/05 who gets killed by the current break, but I'm not changing just to help my family. #feelthebern! Lol

Right now my team's age group is 8/1/04-8/1/05. It will change to 1/1/04-1/1/05. Eight out of my current group that I have had for a few years now are 8/1/04-12/04. The rest are mostly 6/05-7/05. If I followed the change the team would split. We will just play up an age bracket instead. Socially its a pretty tight group. My son is a 7/05 who gets killed by the current break, but I'm not changing just to help my family. #feelthebern! Lol
I know it still hasn't changed for the league where I am. Still August 1 to July 30th.

I don't know if they're going to change, but I have to think they must since RBNY helps with the coaching.

I know it still hasn't changed for the league where I am. Still August 1 to July 30th.

I don't know if they're going to change, but I have to think they must since RBNY helps with the coaching.
Change doesn't have to happen until 2017, I believe.

Anyone going to the game in St. Louis? I've never been to a USMNT game, but live only 90 minutes away. Thinking it might be worth it if I can get a half day that Friday and head over for the 5:30 start time. Could get a pair of decent tickets for about $150 total it looks like. Nosebleeds are around $40 each.

Anyone going to the game in St. Louis? I've never been to a USMNT game, but live only 90 minutes away. Thinking it might be worth it if I can get a half day that Friday and head over for the 5:30 start time. Could get a pair of decent tickets for about $150 total it looks like. Nosebleeds are around $40 each.
are you going to sit with the AO's or in another section?

are you going to sit with the AO's or in another section?
I don't know where the AO's sit. It would probably just be in the general section.

you would like to think there is no need for excuses when playing St Vincent at home but JK is firing up the excuse engine just in case :)

============================================

From Soccer America

The first two World Cup 2018 qualifiers are right around the corner -- St. Vincent & the Grenadines on Nov. 13 in St. Louis and at Trinidad & Tobago four days later -- but U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann faces a host of issues.

Injuries and poor form are part and parcel with the process of putting a team together. What complicates matters is that the MLS season has ended for seven of the USA's eight MLS starters in the Concacaf Cup. Just three of the 11 starters against Mexico played last weekend, and that includes Fabian Johnson, who is in Klinsmann's doghouse.

"Either they didn’t make the playoffs or they just lost now in the playoffs in the first round," Klinsmann told USSoccer.com in an interview, "so that makes it tricky for us to keep them going until we meet up on Nov. 8 for the St. Louis game against St. Vincent & the Grenadines. To give them training plans, to make sure that they keep going for players like a Jermaine Jones, a Kyle Beckerman, a Chris Wondolowski, a Mix Diskerud, a Lee Nguyen, and others is now really, really crucial because they are not playing games anymore prior to the World Cup qualifiers.”

Other notable players whose MLS seasons have ended include Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore of Toronto FC, Matt Besler and Graham Zusi of Sporting Kansas City, Gyasi Zardes and Omar Gonzalez of the LA Galaxy and DaMarcus Beasley of the Houston Dynamo. Indeed, every MLS starter from the Concacaf Cup against Mexico has finished his season except Seattle's Clint Dempsey.

The injury situation isn't dire, but Klinsmann is monitoring five players.

“We have Geoff Cameron coming out in the last game of Stoke, but he should be OK," he said. "We had Brad Evans get a hamstring issue, so that will be tricky for him to catch up. Rubio Rubin, our youngest striker, is injured. Aron Johannsson is not playing because of injury right now. So we have all over the place some issues, and we need to find solutions for that. Hopefully, they get back as quickly as possible, and if they can’t make it than other ones will have to step in and get the job done.”

As Klinsmann lamented, he also has to evaluate the situations of players not currently starting for their clubs abroad.

"John Brooks is one of them and Ventura Alvarado is another one," he said of his two starting center backs at the Gold Cup. "So it’s tough for some of our players to get regular playing time and that influences our situation prior to the World Cup qualifiers. That’s just normal, but it’s sad to see because you want the youngsters to come through and to put a stamp on the team but they cannot do it if they sit basically on the bench in their club teams.”

Sounds like Bradley to Le Havre (Ligue 2) is official after this weekend's games.

EDIT: Kind of an interesting move as they are still right in the thick of the promotion race (4th place, 6 pts out of 1st and 2nd).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread