What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (17 Viewers)

For all the people blaming the US soccer way, I dont get it. Everyone is calling for players to get maximum touches and be technical. As someone who has gone through US soccer education, this is exactly what we are taught. Every activity can have both a technical and tactical manipulation. Small sided is always favorable to large sided. Im not sure the US training philosophy is the problem

Apparently I'm the only one who's not convinced by Mix? It's one thing to be small like Neymar if you can run like he can, and another to be short like Messi if you're stout enough to bowling ball off defenders. But slow and slight (150 pounds at 6' tall) seems like someone who's going to get run over by international-caliber midfielders.

For all the people blaming the US soccer way, I dont get it. Everyone is calling for players to get maximum touches and be technical. As someone who has gone through US soccer education, this is exactly what we are taught. Every activity can have both a technical and tactical manipulation. Small sided is always favorable to large sided. Im not sure the US training philosophy is the problem
Acer, as someone in the system, how much do you feel the pay for play model hurts us over all? I know it is changing at the highest levels (MLS academies etc) but maybe not wide spread enough to make a dent in this huge country?

Small fields, tons of touches, practices that focus entirely on technical skill, no official winners or losers or standings until U-11 or U-12 is exactly how my kid's group is set up.

Apparently I'm the only one who's not convinced by Mix? It's one thing to be small like Neymar if you can run like he can, and another to be short like Messi if you're stout enough to bowling ball off defenders. But slow and slight (150 pounds at 6' tall) seems like someone who's going to get run over by international-caliber midfielders.
his lack of grit does scare me. It is one of the reasons I wanted him in MLS.

MLS is a fairly physical league and it could have shown us a lot about whether he could have handle that. Never seeing him play in Norway and only in small doses for the US really does not give me a good feel for the player.

Small fields, tons of touches, practices that focus entirely on technical skill, no official winners or losers or standings until U-11 or U-12 is exactly how my kid's group is set up.
Also, the cost for those with financial need is $300/year.

Ted Lange as your Bartender said:
ESPN updated their projected Nats roster for 2014 Link

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
This was ESPN's 2011 look at this year's roster for comparison to the current projections for the 2018 roster...A lot can change, for better or worse, over the years.

There's also some question about what this will do to his non-EU work permit status. I've also seen articles that say he can retain dual citizenship. Work permit rules seem like kind of a nebulous area, especially in my FM universe. It may be hurting some young players' development if they can't complete a European transfer but I can't think of any cases where this has caused major damage.
I remember this was a key issue with Zelalem. Supposedly taking up U.S. citizenship could endanger his EU status and then he'd need a work permit to stay at Arsenal.

Hopefully he can play for us and stay at Arsenal. If they have Mikel Arteta tutor him, he can develop a model professional personality and pick up some excellent PPMs.

Acer, as someone in the system, how much do you feel the pay for play model hurts us over all? I know it is changing at the highest levels (MLS academies etc) but maybe not wide spread enough to make a dent in this huge country?
I dont know about the finance aspect. What I can tell you from being around the HS level is that if clubs want the player enough, and the kid has no money, they will fund him. I also know from having a kid who is just getting into hockey, that I will pay between 2-3k for hockey a year and that is.before he turns 8. Then it goes up. There are thousands of kids that play US youth hockey yet we have never produced a Gretzky.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
This was ESPN's 2011 look at this year's roster for comparison to the current projections for the 2018 roster...A lot can change, for better or worse, over the years.
I was actually looking for a post from then to illustrate how useless a projection is at this juncture. There's probably going to be a handful of guys that will be on the '18 roster that nobody's really heard of right now.

Im not sure which thread this should get filed under, and its probably a Honda to boot. But no way Im going back 5 pages in three (four?) different threads.

USA could bid to host 2026 tournamentThe United States' "unprecedented" and "staggering" appetite for football could see them bid to host the 2026 World Cup, according to Fifa bosses.

The Americans were knocked out of the 2014 World Cup by Belgium on Tuesday.

However, the level of support for Jurgen Klinsmann's team has been remarkable, with US president Barack Obama among those tweeting support.

There is a commitment to work with US Soccer," said Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke.

Speaking to Brazil newspaper Globo, Valcke added: "What we see in the United States is staggering. The audience is unprecedented, more than the NBA.

"The country has the largest level of youth soccer in the world, with 20 million young people playing.

"I think after 2022, they have an interest in hosting the 2026 World Cup."

After advancing from a tough group also containing Germany, Portugal and Ghana, the US took Belgium to extra time before eventually being beaten 2-1 in an entertaining match which saw 56 efforts on goal.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has been equally as impressed with the US, and echoed Valcke's sentiments: "The level of interest in the USA is very high.

"This World Cup is really getting under people's skin - the quality of the football is incredible."

US Soccer president and Fifa executive committee member Sunil Gulati has previously said the United States could bid to host the 2026 tournament, but only if bidding rules change.

The US, who previously hosted the World Cup in 1994, lost out to Qatar for the 2022 tournament.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
I was actually looking for a post from then to illustrate how useless a projection is at this juncture. There's probably going to be a handful of guys that will be on the '18 roster that nobody's really heard of right now.
If that was in early 2011, only the most hard core of us knew who Graham Zusi and Matt Besler were and none of us could have projected them as WC material being just subs in MLS.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Wow... only five of eleven starters was even listed.

My knowledge of Norwegian football dates back to the days when Wimbledon had Norwegian owners and management. I doubt a guy like Mix would have flourished in the late 90s golden age of huge Vikings hoofing it up Route One. But the UEFA coefficients don't think too highly of the Norwegian League today. They're ranked below Scotland for God's sakes. I think a move to some place that plays a full length schedule would benefit his game.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
I feel better now.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
If that was in early 2011, only the most hard core of us knew who Graham Zusi and Matt Besler were and none of us could have projected them as WC material being just subs in MLS.
Imagine someone in 2010 the day after the Ghana game saying that Wondo would be playing in a knockout game in four years? They'd be straight up laughed at. Hell he was available in the Union's expansion draft in 2010.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
A lot of the guys were at least in the mix for whatever reason. Lots of stuff happens. I was ready to slam him for having Fabian Johnson on the radar screen, but not ahead of Lichaj until I remembered that I'm not sure Fab had even played FB by that point. Some of the younger guys in the development cycle might not even be in their best position. A grown up Zelalem might get stronger and be more of a CM than just a CAM.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Holden getting hurt and Landon being flaky and pissing off JK were not predictable.

Edu was on the 30.

Interesting that Fab was predicted but not Jones.

Soccer nerds...forget the details for a minute. What would you put the combined odds of a US World Cup in 2022 or 2026?

1982 - Spain

1986 - Mexico (moved out of Colombia)

1990 - Italy

1994 - USA

1998 - France

2002 - Japan/South Korea

2006 - Germany

2010 - South Africa

2014 - Brazil

2018 - Russia

2022 - Qatar(?)

2026 - ???

Is it a thing now that Europe is only going to get every third tournament? I didn't realize that South Africa and then Brazil were the first time it had been outside Europe two tournaments in a row.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Imagine someone in 2010 the day after the Ghana game saying that Wondo would be playing in a knockout game in four years? They'd be straight up laughed at. Hell he was available in the Union's expansion draft in 2010.
Who's laughing now? Nobody, that's who.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Seems we take a late developing striker almost every cycle. It would be interesting to try to pinpoint some candidates. Will Bruin?

Soccer nerds...forget the details for a minute. What would you put the combined odds of a US World Cup in 2022 or 2026?1982 - Spain1986 - Mexico (moved out of Colombia)1990 - Italy1994 - USA1998 - France2002 - Japan/South Korea2006 - Germany2010 - South Africa2014 - Brazil2018 - Russia2022 - Qatar(?)2026 - ???Is it a thing now that Europe is only going to get every third tournament? I didn't realize that South Africa and then Brazil were the first time it had been outside Europe two tournaments in a row.
I think it is pretty high for 2026 all things being equal, although it would be better for everyone if it came here in 2022. Ignoring Oceania, Concacaf has gone by far the longest with out having it.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Who's laughing now? Nobody, that's who.
Certainly not implying the guy laughing in 2010 didn't have reason to.

Soccer nerds...forget the details for a minute. What would you put the combined odds of a US World Cup in 2022 or 2026?

1982 - Spain

1986 - Mexico (moved out of Colombia)

1990 - Italy

1994 - USA

1998 - France

2002 - Japan/South Korea

2006 - Germany

2010 - South Africa

2014 - Brazil

2018 - Russia

2022 - Qatar(?)

2026 - ???

Is it a thing now that Europe is only going to get every third tournament? I didn't realize that South Africa and then Brazil were the first time it had been outside Europe two tournaments in a row.
I'm very pessimistic about 2022. I think it's likely to stay in Qatar but failing that, it will go to Australia.

The USA has a fair shot at 2026 if only for commercial reasons. There was only one bidder to host Euro 2020 so maybe the well is dry in Europe. I am interested to see how the distributed hosting of Euro 2020 goes. That may be the standard operating practice going forward. The tournament is not like the Olympics where spreading events out would change the character of the event.

China will make a strong bid at some point and the opportunity to grow the game there may be irresistable. That won't be in 2026 because CAF won't get two in a row.

One more thought about Klinsmann. Its true that the German player recruitment pipeline might be drying up, but isn't there another type of pipeline? JK still is on good terms with people in the Bundesliga. JK's reputation with the German FA has been improved by this World Cup. If JK picks up the phone and recommends Yedlin or Gonzo (or Luis Gil) to the director in Hannover or Wolfsburg, I think they listen.

Soccer nerds...forget the details for a minute. What would you put the combined odds of a US World Cup in 2022 or 2026?1982 - Spain1986 - Mexico (moved out of Colombia)1990 - Italy1994 - USA1998 - France2002 - Japan/South Korea2006 - Germany2010 - South Africa2014 - Brazil2018 - Russia2022 - Qatar(?)2026 - ???Is it a thing now that Europe is only going to get every third tournament? I didn't realize that South Africa and then Brazil were the first time it had been outside Europe two tournaments in a row.
I'm very pessimistic about 2022. I think it's likely to stay in Qatar but failing that, it will go to Australia.The USA has a fair shot at 2026 if only for commercial reasons. There was only one bidder to host Euro 2020 so maybe the well is dry in Europe. I am interested to see how the distributed hosting of Euro 2020 goes. That may be the standard operating practice going forward. The tournament is not like the Olympics where spreading events out would change the character of the event.China will make a strong bid at some point and the opportunity to grow the game there may be irresistable. That won't be in 2026 because CAF won't get two in a row.
CAF is Africa I think.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Seems we take a late developing striker almost every cycle. It would be interesting to try to pinpoint some candidates. Will Bruin?
Not sure if call him late developing but I think Jack Mac is still a factor as a poacher-type upfront.

Andy, I keep hearing the names of Wil Trapp and Harry Shipp but haven't seem them much. Anything there Nats-wise?

I'm very pessimistic about 2022. I think it's likely to stay in Qatar but failing that, it will go to Australia.The USA has a fair shot at 2026 if only for commercial reasons. There was only one bidder to host Euro 2020 so maybe the well is dry in Europe. I am interested to see how the distributed hosting of Euro 2020 goes. That may be the standard operating practice going forward. The tournament is not like the Olympics where spreading events out would change the character of the event.China will make a strong bid at some point and the opportunity to grow the game there may be irresistable. That won't be in 2026 because CAF won't get two in a row.
CAF is Africa I think.
Doh. And I'm usually one of the guys pimping African football.

I'm sad to say South Africa 2010 may be a once in a lifetime event. I can see CAF (the real one in Africa, not the cheap Asian knockoff) adapting the model of spreading the group games around the continent.

StartersTim HowardTimothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek SheaMichael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon DonovanClint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh GattFabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo
Not sure if call him late developing but I think Jack Mac is still a factor as a poacher-type upfront.

Andy, I keep hearing the names of Wil Trapp and Harry Shipp but haven't seem them much. Anything there Nats-wise?
So early to tell.

I want to remove Shipp from the discussion for now because I have been burned before by MLS offensive rookies that burn bright and then quickly come back to level

Trapp on the other hand has been pretty consistent going into the middle of his second year. He is not flashy like say Nagbe is, but he is one of those quiet, do it all equally well midfielders that are hard to project.

His being only 21 helps.

He is one of those rare players where the Olympics are perfect for him. He might not be good enough for the Nats to get a decent look but if he plays well in the Olympics that could give him the stage he needs.

I think he is a good candidate for the January camp this winter.

At what level were you taught this? US training might not be, but that doesn't reach all the u8-u10 kids getting poorly trained

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have info on Joel Sorona? Hes a 17 year old MF who is the son of Argentinian Diego Soronoa. Dual citzenshhip (born here and moved when he was 5).

At what level were you taught this? US training might not be, but that doesn't reach all the u8-u10 kids getting poorly trained
I hold a US C license, which targets training players 15-18 since I coached high school for 10 years. I never played high level ball so I was not exempt from the e and d levels which focus on younger players. At every level, the emphasis was the same. I believe that youth training is more of what people are upset with. I coached my daughters U7 team this year. Unfortunately, not every dad or mom who volunteers goes through the education courses even though they should. At my club, you need to have at least gone through or plan to go through the e course which is the basic of basics.

If you want to say that youth training is an issue, ok. But to say it falls on US soccer is not fair.

Starters

Tim Howard

Timothy Chandler

John Anthony Brooks

Clarence Goodson

Eric Lichaj

Brek Shea

Michael Bradley

Stuart Holden

Landon Donovan

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Reserves

Bill Hamid

Carlos Bocanegra

Steve Cherundolo

Tim Ream

Sean Cunningham

Maurice Edu

Jose Torres

Freddy Adu

Josh Gatt

Fabian Johnson

Juan Agudelo

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Wenger get some mentions. I think you'll see these guys get cycle through and pretty much just go with a poacher or two who is having a hot year in the MLS.

Anyone have info on Joel Sorona? Hes a 17 year old MF who is the son of Argentinian Diego Soronoa. Dual citzenshhip (born here and moved when he was 5).
If memory serves, Diego played in MLS way back when right?

What little I know about Joel is that he is still a part of the US youth team set up. I am pretty sure Tab picked him for a recent U20 camp.

I believe he is playing the Boca Juniors youth system.

I have read that he is very high regarded in the US system. He is one of the younger players in the U20 setup right now.

At other positions Caleb Stanko may get some time at Freiberg this year. He was played out of position in the U20s, but I know he's well regarded as a DM. McIntyre seems to assume that Bradley will be back to just playing as #6, but I could see him morphing into a deep lying playmaker with some young legs next to him. Maybe Stanko would fit that bill. If he hadn't gotten injured, you'd think that Marc Pelosi would be a guy we were looking at for 2018. Maybe even a guy that could be turned into a LB (he's a two-way LM now). Have to see how he's back training as he only really got back for a month or so last year.

I saw a bit of Sonora in one of those youth tournaments. He struck me as something like Adu in that he does have good technical ability, but you actually wonder a bit about the physical side.

Various snippets from NBCSports on 2018 roster:

GK: Analysis: Rimando will likely cede the third spot to someone, while Guzan will be back in some role. Howard’s return will be based largely on whether he wants to continue playing internationally. Many keepers switch to ‘club-only’ status by the age of 39; Kasey Keller played for the US until he was nearly 38, while Brad Friedel stopped at age 34.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Cody Cropper (Southampton, 25), Bill Hamid (DC United, 27), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, 29), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo, 33), Ethan Horvath (Molde, 23)

DEF: Analysis: It’s very difficult to believe Yedlin, Gonzalez and Brooks won’t all be on the scene in 2018, while the only name that seems a long shot for Russia duty, based on age, is Beasley. It’s reasonable to expect Cameron, Besler and Johnson will be in camp at the very least.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting KC, 21), Will Packwood (Birmingham City, 25), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids, 24), Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas, 23), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact, 25), Miguel Palafox (Leon, 23).

MID: Analysis: A tricky group to diagnose, but certain names seem gone by 2018 (Beckerman and Davis for sure, with Jones having a chance considering Klinsmann’s love for the midfielder). Bradley and Green seem certain, and you’d say the same for Diskerud if not for the lack of playing time this tournament. Bedoya and Zusi are X-factors, but Klinsmann is likely hoping others make his decision easier.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake, 24), Joe Corona (Tijuana, 27), Joshua Gatt (Molde, 26), Duane Holmes (Huddersfield Town, 23), Gedion Zelalem* (Arsenal, 21), Jordan Allen (Real Salt Lake, 23).

FWD: Analysis: Wondolowski’s wondrous run is likely done. It feels counter-intuitive to rule Dempsey out of anything, but 35 is a real obstacle for someone who gets abused as much as the Texans. Altidore should still be fine, while Johannsson has a really good look at coming back, too.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Juan Agudelo (unattached, 25), Terrence Boyd (Red Bull Leipzig, 27), Shawn Parker* (FC Augsburg, 25), Jerome Kiesewetter (Stuttgart, 25), Boxi Yomba (Atletico Madrid, 21), Jack McInerney (Montreal Impact, 25), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich, 25), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo, 28)

GK: Analysis: Rimando will likely cede the third spot to someone, while Guzan will be back in some role. Howard’s return will be based largely on whether he wants to continue playing internationally. Many keepers switch to ‘club-only’ status by the age of 39; Kasey Keller played for the US until he was nearly 38, while Brad Friedel stopped at age 34.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Cody Cropper (Southampton, 25), Bill Hamid (DC United, 27), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire, 29), Tally Hall (Houston Dynamo, 33), Ethan Horvath (Molde, 23)

DEF: Analysis: It’s very difficult to believe Yedlin, Gonzalez and Brooks won’t all be on the scene in 2018, while the only name that seems a long shot for Russia duty, based on age, is Beasley. It’s reasonable to expect Cameron, Besler and Johnson will be in camp at the very least.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting KC, 21), Will Packwood (Birmingham City, 25), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids, 24), Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas, 23), Eric Miller (Montreal Impact, 25), Miguel Palafox (Leon, 23).

MID: Analysis: A tricky group to diagnose, but certain names seem gone by 2018 (Beckerman and Davis for sure, with Jones having a chance considering Klinsmann’s love for the midfielder). Bradley and Green seem certain, and you’d say the same for Diskerud if not for the lack of playing time this tournament. Bedoya and Zusi are X-factors, but Klinsmann is likely hoping others make his decision easier.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake, 24), Joe Corona (Tijuana, 27), Joshua Gatt (Molde, 26), Duane Holmes (Huddersfield Town, 23), Gedion Zelalem* (Arsenal, 21), Jordan Allen (Real Salt Lake, 23).

FWD: Analysis: Wondolowski’s wondrous run is likely done. It feels counter-intuitive to rule Dempsey out of anything, but 35 is a real obstacle for someone who gets abused as much as the Texans. Altidore should still be fine, while Johannsson has a really good look at coming back, too.

Pipeline (club, age at time of 2018 World Cup): Juan Agudelo (unattached, 25), Terrence Boyd (Red Bull Leipzig, 27), Shawn Parker* (FC Augsburg, 25), Jerome Kiesewetter (Stuttgart, 25), Boxi Yomba (Atletico Madrid, 21), Jack McInerney (Montreal Impact, 25), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich, 25), Will Bruin (Houston Dynamo, 28)
Boxi Yomba, great name! :)

http://soccerly.com/article/bryan/usmnt-u18-forward-yomba-signs-contract-with-atletico-madrid

Boxi Yomba, great name! :)

http://soccerly.com/article/bryan/usmnt-u18-forward-yomba-signs-contract-with-atletico-madrid
There you go, Z. No need to go out of house to find that Costa replacement.

At other positions Caleb Stanko may get some time at Freiberg this year. He was played out of position in the U20s, but I know he's well regarded as a DM. McIntyre seems to assume that Bradley will be back to just playing as #6, but I could see him morphing into a deep lying playmaker with some young legs next to him. Maybe Stanko would fit that bill. If he hadn't gotten injured, you'd think that Marc Pelosi would be a guy we were looking at for 2018. Maybe even a guy that could be turned into a LB (he's a two-way LM now). Have to see how he's back training as he only really got back for a month or so last year.
Caleb Stanko would likely replace Dejan Stankovic as the player my son most loves having on his FIFA teams, just ahead of Hans-Jorg Butt.

Good article here, about the tradeoff in starting Cameron for Beckerman. I'm not as convinced as the author that Cam's distribution was as much at fault. He was on the ball a lot more than Beckerman is and he was trying much more positive passes. But there were some very bad giveaways in that chart. But also click the links to Jones' and Zusi's pass charts. Oof.

Caleb Stanko would likely replace Dejan Stankovic as the player my son most loves having on his FIFA teams, just ahead of Hans-Jorg Butt.
Rod Fanni of OM

I hold a US C license, which targets training players 15-18 since I coached high school for 10 years. I never played high level ball so I was not exempt from the e and d levels which focus on younger players. At every level, the emphasis was the same.I believe that youth training is more of what people are upset with. I coached my daughters U7 team this year. Unfortunately, not every dad or mom who volunteers goes through the education courses even though they should. At my club, you need to have at least gone through or plan to go through the e course which is the basic of basics.

If you want to say that youth training is an issue, ok. But to say it falls on US soccer is not fair.
I think the practice v games debate cycles back and forth in the seemingly endless discussion regarding youth soccer training in this country. I recall about 10 years ago reading Claudio Reyna complaining that everything his kids did was too structured, drills, etc., and he just wanted them to play more. I focus more on the cliche that kids only play soccer in this country (whether practice or games) when their parents drive them somewhere. Meaning, there's really very little pick up soccer among kids, similar to the way kids play unorganized basketball and baseball. In Canada, kids play hockey every day year round, in Brazil, ... etc., etc. That can be overstated, but at least in my neck of the woods kids almost never gather at a park to play pick-up soccer on their own, yet they are playing some form of outdoor or indoor soccer several days a week almost year round through their clubs. Somewhat laughably, some of the top youth clubs in our area arrange structured pick-up games - no refs, no scoring, mixed ages and genders, etc. But they are scheduled, coaches and parents are there watching, etc., so in many ways it completely eliminates the perceived benefit of unstructured, pick-up games.

I hold a US C license, which targets training players 15-18 since I coached high school for 10 years. I never played high level ball so I was not exempt from the e and d levels which focus on younger players. At every level, the emphasis was the same.I believe that youth training is more of what people are upset with. I coached my daughters U7 team this year. Unfortunately, not every dad or mom who volunteers goes through the education courses even though they should. At my club, you need to have at least gone through or plan to go through the e course which is the basic of basics.

I think the practice v games debate cycles back and forth in the seemingly endless discussion regarding youth soccer training in this country. I recall about 10 years ago reading Claudio Reyna complaining that everything his kids did was too structured, drills, etc., and he just wanted them to play more. I focus more on the cliche that kids only play soccer in this country (whether practice or games) when their parents drive them somewhere. Meaning, there's really very little pick up soccer among kids, similar to the way kids play unorganized basketball and baseball. In Canada, kids play hockey every day year round, in Brazil, ... etc., etc. That can be overstated, but at least in my neck of the woods kids almost never gather at a park to play pick-up soccer on their own, yet they are playing some form of outdoor or indoor soccer several days a week almost year round through their clubs. Somewhat laughably, some of the top youth clubs in our area arrange structured pick-up games - no refs, no scoring, mixed ages and genders, etc. But they are scheduled, coaches and parents are there watching, etc., so in many ways it completely eliminates the perceived benefit of unstructured, pick-up games.
Reyna was on SiriusXM recently talking about this and yeah he does criticize the overly structured practices, but he was mainly talking about practices that are only structured drills and nothing more. Drills have their place imo, but that can't be all you do. In a two hour practice I like to run is: 1-1:15 of drills and then 1:00-:45 of SSG, 3v3 or 4v4 and have winners move from field to field. Zero coaching on my part during these games, it's just letting the kids play and they love it. They always leave practice happy having just played for about an hour freely, with a lot of touches and no coach/parent criticizing them about what they did wrong

To the second part of your post, agree 100%, kids need to want to just go kick the ball around for fun and on their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
McIntyre on ESPN has the US' projected XI for 2018, but it's behind the paywall.
Starters

Brad Guzan GK

Timmy Chandler D

Matt Besler D

Omar Gonzalez D

Fabian Johnson D

Michael Bradley MF

Julian Green MF

DeAndre Yedlin MF

Mix Diskerud MF

Aron Johansson F

Jozy Altidore F

RESERVES POS.

Terrence Boyd F

Juan Agudelo F

Luis Gil MF

Gedion Zelalem MF

Graham Zusi MF

Danny Williams MF

Chris Klute D

John Anthony Brooks D

Erik Palmer-Brown D

Geoff Cameron D

Cody Cropper GK

Sean Johnson GK
Assuming normal talent progression - that is a pretty good starting squad in 4 years. Much better offensive potential than what we had this year. Mix and Johannsson need to mature physically, but lots to like about that potential
He has Mix playing attacking MF and Bradley playing back which makes sense and fits Bradley's style of player better.

Ramsay Hunt Experience said:
Good article here, about the tradeoff in starting Cameron for Beckerman. I'm not as convinced as the author that Cam's distribution was as much at fault. He was on the ball a lot more than Beckerman is and he was trying much more positive passes. But there were some very bad giveaways in that chart. But also click the links to Jones' and Zusi's pass charts. Oof.
Whoscored somehow rated the US pretty highly overall. Timmy Howard had a 10 -- which I have to think isn't very common.

Users who are viewing this thread