What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (19 Viewers)

Sounds like the Canada friendly may be in jeapordy.  The Canadian camp had some Covid issues pop up.

One US U23 player tested positive on arrival (I don't know who) and was replaced by Kyle Duncan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meanwhile, Harkes has continued to start for Dundee...today as the CMF in a 5 man line.

I don't know that he'll ever crack the US roster with so many quality CMFs ahead of him...but some nice depth with a guy leading his team in Europe.

He's not that old, right? Like 25ish?
Same age as my son who he scored at will against.  Remember the comments about him being so fast.  My son's team had won a state title as a small club.  They were playing in the national league the next year but many of their top players had departed for academy.  During the tournament they played against Morris they didn't even have subs as some of the kids declined to travel to focus on high school finals.  I think the score of that game was 9-1 or something.  I think for the purposes of GD the cutoff was five or something so they turned off the heat.

Sarge is the same age as the other son who shut him down at will.  I won't share those comments about Sarge.

College Soccer Question.

I don't want to derail this thread but wanted some eyeballs and thought this was the best place to get them. I know I've seen some of you post at various times that you played college soccer, if you did and don't mind answering a couple question would you drop me a PM.

Thanks and back to the USMNT talk.

College Soccer Question.

I don't want to derail this thread but wanted some eyeballs and thought this was the best place to get them. I know I've seen some of you post at various times that you played college soccer, if you did and don't mind answering a couple question would you drop me a PM.

Thanks and back to the USMNT talk.
Unless it's personal on your end, just fire away. If it's personal, pm shuke. Or me, or newlyretired or bmav...Im sure there are others. Caveat...my college soccer days are 30 years ago- it's all changed a ton.

Maybe I should have added or had sons/daughters that have played since El Floppo is nearing retirement...lol.

Basically just looking for insight on how the whole recruitment/getting exposure thing works. I played golf in high school and wasn't good enough to ever worry about. I'll just paste below what I sent to someone who PM'd me.

My son is an 8th grader, while I have no delusions of him playing Division 1 and likely not even Division 2 (but who knows) we've been told by several coaches he has played for and at camps he has gone to that he has the talent to play in college at some level. He's a decent student and an adopted minority so thinking Division 3 and getting some financial help directed his way isn't out of the possibility.  

I know enough to know it's his club games that are going to get him seen and most likely not his little division AA high school games. His club team is starting to play some showcase tournaments with college coaches in attendance. What I'm not sure of is what to do from there. If there are some schools that are going to be attending that he is potentially interested in should we have him reach out (with our assistance obviously since he is 14) and just email those coaches that he is going to be at the tournament and could be interested in their school?  Is doing that as a 14 year old playing U15 too early and should that be more during his Sophomore and Junior years? He's attending different summer camps hosted by clubs but should we start looking at the ones hosted by colleges and is it better to do ones where numerous different colleges might have coaches there for a day or ones hosted by a single school where he would get multiple days of exposure to their staff?

I've started trying to record some of his games (Still figuring out if the iPad works best or if I need to invest in a video camera) and put together short touch videos from a game or tournament. Here is one https://youtu.be/0DUMy50ziMY is this the type of thang that's good to do for him to eventually send to coaches?  We've already started to get emails because of the tournaments the team has signed up for from these services like CaptainU and such that are supposed to get you exposure to a bunch of coaches. Are any of them worth it and used by colleges or are they just a scam?

Brian Sciaretta

@BrianSciaretta

Since Jonathan Gonazlez bolted - other U.S. U-23 No. 6s have shined

1) Adams moved to Germany to start for a top 3 team

2) Johnny begins playing for Internacional

3) Colombia's 2019 U-20 WC #6 joins the US

4) Morris wins MLS Cup

5) Yueill progresses

6) Durkin sold for 7 figures

Maybe I should have added or had sons/daughters that have played since El Floppo is nearing retirement...lol.

Basically just looking for insight on how the whole recruitment/getting exposure thing works. I played golf in high school and wasn't good enough to ever worry about. I'll just paste below what I sent to someone who PM'd me.

My son is an 8th grader, while I have no delusions of him playing Division 1 and likely not even Division 2 (but who knows) we've been told by several coaches he has played for and at camps he has gone to that he has the talent to play in college at some level. He's a decent student and an adopted minority so thinking Division 3 and getting some financial help directed his way isn't out of the possibility.  

I know enough to know it's his club games that are going to get him seen and most likely not his little division AA high school games. His club team is starting to play some showcase tournaments with college coaches in attendance. What I'm not sure of is what to do from there. If there are some schools that are going to be attending that he is potentially interested in should we have him reach out (with our assistance obviously since he is 14) and just email those coaches that he is going to be at the tournament and could be interested in their school?  Is doing that as a 14 year old playing U15 too early and should that be more during his Sophomore and Junior years? He's attending different summer camps hosted by clubs but should we start looking at the ones hosted by colleges and is it better to do ones where numerous different colleges might have coaches there for a day or ones hosted by a single school where he would get multiple days of exposure to their staff?

I've started trying to record some of his games (Still figuring out if the iPad works best or if I need to invest in a video camera) and put together short touch videos from a game or tournament. Here is one https://youtu.be/0DUMy50ziMY is this the type of thang that's good to do for him to eventually send to coaches?  We've already started to get emails because of the tournaments the team has signed up for from these services like CaptainU and such that are supposed to get you exposure to a bunch of coaches. Are any of them worth it and used by colleges or are they just a scam?
My brother went through this recently with my nephew. 

He's been playing club soccer since he was little. His team is part of a national league called the US Youth Soccer National League. They've been traveling for awhile for league games and also for tournaments. They play in the Midwest Conference and then there are USYS National Showcases. I believe these showcases have college coaches that attend and watch.

The college coaches technically can't communicate with kids until June 15th after their sophomore year. Meaning, they can't initiate contact.

Before that the kids (and parents) can send emails, attend camps on the colleges they are interested in, and call the school and try and get in touch with the soccer coaches. 

My brother did this and put together highlight videos of his son and sent them to schools he was interested in. There is also a service called NCSA which you can pay for and set up a profile. They can help you with videos and its connected to colleges so you can send emails and reach out.

My nephew attended several camps at the colleges themselves. He became close to the team at DePaul and signed a D1 offer with them last spring. He is a senior now. This turned out to be a good thing since his fall high school season was wiped out.

Anyway, it paid off for them in that he will play D1. He is a really good player, but they started this process when he was a freshman just getting out and getting exposed.

As an 8th grader (same age as my son), there's plenty of time to get better or good enough for d2, d1 or beyond..depending on his interest, passion, growth and abilities.

I played d1 top 20, but coaches really only saw you if played high level club ball and/or state/regional/national team. I got seen that way, as well as playing against one coach's son in a men's league when I was 14 or so. My club coach was a college coach, so I had him talk to coaches on the east coast for me, since I only saw west coast guys. And they could only contact you in your senior year back then. And frankfurters cost a nickle at the five and dime. 

My niece is a basketball senior, four year starter at a top HS in VA. Her dad had her playing in all kinds of clinics around the country (pay to play) as well with her club team which played a bunch of tourneys. Also signed her up for some kind collegiate database...maybe what chief mentioned. She didn't end up getting too seriously recruited, but hopefully enough to help her get in somewhere. (Eta...her brother rowed crew and was good, but nowhere near really good. Same dad used that database to contact all the coaches since he wasnt an immediately obvious amazing recruit. Kid had great grades and SATs, which made him kinda attractive as walkon, non-scholarship recruit. I think it helped, at least as a name from the coach on a lower tier of desired athletes)

My best friend's kid is a HS Jr baseball player in CA. The kid plays 24/7 on a few heavy hitting travel/select teams that get seen by a bunch of coaches. He's also in some kind of database for top baseball kids. Iirc, he had done some camps or clinics at various colleges his freshman and sophomore years and developed social media relationships with the coaches prior to whatever age he's officially allowed to be recruited (sounded like a work around). In the spring, during his sophomore year, he started hitting 90s consistently on the radar gun and signed with Arizona the day he was allowed to.

@SwampDawg - here is the NCSA website. My brother said to start here - they give you a ton of info to get started and you can set up a base profile for free. 
Just be prepared for them to spam the hell out of your inbox.

@SwampDawg - has your club talked to your team about the recruiting process?  They should be a key part in this process. If not and you're serious about this, I'd look for a club that has a director and coaches that know what they're doing on the college scene. It'll make all the difference in the world for getting noticed. 

Just be prepared for them to spam the hell out of your inbox.

@SwampDawg - has your club talked to your team about the recruiting process?  They should be a key part in this process. If not and you're serious about this, I'd look for a club that has a director and coaches that know what they're doing on the college scene. It'll make all the difference in the world for getting noticed. 
They have not yet but the Director of Coaching who does the training for his team is a former college coach, current ODP coach and HS Athletic Director who is well connected in our area in soccer circles so I plan to talk to him. They are U15 so they are just starting  this process. Their first showcase was supposed to be December 12th but we were shut down for three weeks by the governor two days before that.

I sent Swamp Dog a pm with more details.

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer.  TLDR - Tell you son to have fun playing now and let the rest come his way.  If he shows studliness in the next year or two and breathes/eats soccer, pursue an academy.  Tell yourself to take videos to have 10-20 years from to relive the fun times.  Your support of his love for the game and helping keep him focused on school at the same time will yield much more than any time you spend on letters and videos.
Most of this showcase stuff is a scam and a money maker for the coach and living money for assistants who don't make much.  Your best route is to leverage your existing relationships with coaches that can connect you.  I think D1 coaches have a board with very few names on it.  You're not going to crack that with any letters or camp visits.  One of our kids was nationally ranked at his position, played for a top academy, and ended up at an ACC school.  He contacted "lesser" soccer programs who didn't give him a sniff other than attend our camp.  They don't care about your video highlighting your son doing great things and editing out his screw ups.  I believe they will take lesser talent they have strong recommendations on over slightly superior talent they really don't know.  The D2 and D3 coaches will find you without letters or contacting them.  1/2 the coaches you are contacting in 8th/9th grade will be gone.  Some assistant is getting your letter who's job is to get butts in camp.  The pick of their liter will be at their camp so they can say their recruits came from their showcase camp.  I'd only spend any serious time on this if you have dream D2/3 schools you want to go to.  The scholarship money is very limited anyway and going down.  You'd be better off money wise spending the time studying over writing letters and going to camps.

Not one of the big names but it is always nice to see a dual nat choose the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzsnA849J5c
The best advertisement for dual nats is how well our players are playing.  Players want to be a part of what is happening.  Here are Perea's comments from an interview Sciaretta did a while ago.

=========

“They are among the best young generation of players in the world,” Perea said. “It is something good for the country, for the league, to see these young players are making such a big difference, like Christian. What McKennie is doing with Juventus is impressive, also Sergino with Barcelona. You have young players who are consolidating themselves in Europe, that is important for the process that is happening in the national team. I think in the World Cup in Qatar, 2026 and 2030, the U.S. will make a big impact because of the generation that is coming. They are young players that like to work, they are good physically and technically and they have everything to triumph.”

I sent Swamp Dog a pm with more details.

Most of this showcase stuff is a scam and a money maker for the coach and living money for assistants who don't make much.  Your best route is to leverage your existing relationships with coaches that can connect you.  I think D1 coaches have a board with very few names on it.  You're not going to crack that with any letters or camp visits.  One of our kids was nationally ranked at his position, played for a top academy, and ended up at an ACC school.  He contacted "lesser" soccer programs who didn't give him a sniff other than attend our camp.  They don't care about your video highlighting your son doing great things and editing out his screw ups.  I believe they will take lesser talent they have strong recommendations on over slightly superior talent they really don't know.  The D2 and D3 coaches will find you without letters or contacting them.  1/2 the coaches you are contacting in 8th/9th grade will be gone.  Some assistant is getting your letter who's job is to get butts in camp.  The pick of their liter will be at their camp so they can say their recruits came from their showcase camp.  I'd only spend any serious time on this if you have dream D2/3 schools you want to go to.  The scholarship money is very limited anyway and going down.  You'd be better off money wise spending the time studying over writing letters and going to camps.
I know a D1 coach. He's resorted to recruiting European and African players in recent years because all of the top domestic talents are being vacuumed up by the MLS academies.  He's lured a bunch of foreign players over in the past years. They're all kids that didn't make it in their local academies and are being sold on a US education.  Can't blame them, but hurts the local club scene.

It's an awkward transition type time for boys college soccer.

Ned said:
I know a D1 coach. He's resorted to recruiting European and African players in recent years because all of the top domestic talents are being vacuumed up by the MLS academies.  He's lured a bunch of foreign players over in the past years. They're all kids that didn't make it in their local academies and are being sold on a US education.  Can't blame them, but hurts the local club scene.

So interesting. These were the guys who were brought over by top teams in my day because they were better than our best.

he is 19.  you only need a EU passport in Germany if you want to be a pro before turning 18, which is why Pulisic and Reyna were able to play before 18.
You still need a work visa I would imagine.  I guess football clubs can sponsor those pretty easily though.  Just surprised that it can happen quickly like that.

Ned said:

28 players...https://gopack.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

9 or 1/3 from overseas.  

36 players...https://goheels.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

8 from out of the country.

Let's go down the pecking order a ways...

28 players....https://woffordterriers.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/2020

11 from overseas.

let's look at D2.

50 roster players. :lmao:   I guess your fighting every day for a locker.  https://erskinesports.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

17 foreign players.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
While I maintain he is playing well, the harsh reality is that CP's job is to score and create goals.   He is not being as productive as expected and when the team as a whole is getting bad results, changes have to be considered.
That's the basic idea, coupled with the other two guys being in form. ...not that CP is out of form, other than the goals. His teammates have missed a bunch offerings from him.

Sounds like Olympic Qualifying will start in March.

No teams are required to release players but McBride is going to be talking to each team where there is at least a remote possibility (which rules out Pulisic, Adams, Weston, Dest and Sargent as these won't be release IMO).

I have no idea which MLS teams will be willing to release but if the CBA goes badly, a bunch of players will likely be available.

28 players...https://gopack.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

9 or 1/3 from overseas.  

36 players...https://goheels.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

8 from out of the country.

Let's go down the pecking order a ways...

28 players....https://woffordterriers.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster/2020

11 from overseas.

let's look at D2.

50 roster players. :lmao:   I guess your fighting every day for a locker.  https://erskinesports.com/sports/mens-soccer/roster

17 foreign players.
Someone explain to me how a small D2 school affords to scout that many foreign players to recruit them ?

Someone explain to me how a small D2 school affords to scout that many foreign players to recruit them ?
There are services that line these kids up for the coaches.  They may make one short trip to see/meet them.  sometimes it's sight unseen.

I know one former D1 coach at a low budget school the signed a domestic kid based off a youtube video alone. Turns out the kid sucked pretty bad.  C.oach got axed a couple of years later.  The bottom 20% of the D1 schools have such small budgets that coaches stay with friends while recruiting.  We're talking budgets where the freshman was the uniforms.

Ned said:

I coached club up until this year and now just manage my son's team (u16-17) as well as coach a high school team and have been trying to help the interested kids get going.

-ncsa is expensive but once you've paid you are done and they keep going.  There are free sites out there (field level, captainu) that have been worth it to narrow down a list.

-each school has an online recruiting questionnaire for prospects. Fill a bunch out. You can initiate contact with coaches any time and they can respond but they can not invite contact until your junior year.

-ive talked to a few coaches now that don't want highlight video.  They want full game but I cut ours into halves and post them on my coach YouTube channel.  They like that.

-2 coaches have specifically said they have not taken a kid that has not attended their specific winter ID camp. They are filling spots with foreign kids and well known local-ish kids.  Everyone else fighting for 2-3 spots on a yearly basis.

-grades/act are highly important. Coaches want you to get academic money first then they'll throw you a $3000 bone to supplement.  First or second question when we show up to an ID camp (just went to william carey 2 weekends ago) is "have you taken the ACT? followed by "what's your gpa"?

Cameron Harper, a 19yo US u20 player, debuted for Celtic...starting up front and going 60 (before cramping) in a draw to Hibs. Sounded like a mixed bag from him with a couple squandered chances. He got the chance because 13 1st team players were in covid quarantine after 1 player tested positive.

Lets hope Tyler knows how to wine and dine! :)

=============

Football Insider

@footyinsider247

EXCLUSIVE! - Arsenal striker Folarin Balogun has agreed a pre-contract with RB Leipzig. - Huge blow to Gunners as he prepares to leave for Germany on summer free

I get it that lots of parents are only putting their kids in MLS academies and high level club soccer because they think they'll get a chance at a scholarship.  But I just don't see the point of college soccer.  As it stands in 2021, it's a substandard product, with substandard training, that produces substandard players.  I know some of you guys played.  I'm not trying to crap on that experience and I'm super jealous of your talent to get there.  However, I think college soccer likely set back national team development during the 1990s and 2000s.  Imagine if MLS academies could have been brought along to a high level at the creation of the league?

Now, for those of you that have family members who might get scholarships, I think that's wonderful.  Take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

This is the most frustrating transfer for an American I can remember

===========

Big Bad MLS

@BigBadMLS

As I stated previously I’m no longer reporting on the Reynolds situation. It’s a crazy situation filled with a ton false starts and hurdles. It’s an incredibly stressful time for the Reynolds family and FC Dallas. We all just want it to be done and it will be soon. Patience

But I just don't see the point of college soccer.
Did you just flat out ignore all the valid reasons people gave you last time when you played this exact same card before?

99.999% of players won't be pro's.  It is as simple as that
I agree with the point that pre-academies, the college system was a sub-standard method for generating pro-ready players and essentially wasted their prime instructional pro years (18-22).

But that's all there was. 

Now, we have academies...definitely a huge upgrade for creating pro-ready kids at much earlier ages. What does today's college soccer have to do with that? Still a great spot for kids to get educations who may not be pro caliber. Also a place for some of those kids to realize some latent talent and maybe go pro.

And fwiw, what I've seen of the college game- and my school has fallen down the ranks- is some high quality stuff. And I understand the training and opportunity for training has improved a ton. But regardless...at this point, there's room for both. I don't see or agree with the continued issue with this .

This is the most frustrating transfer for an American I can remember

===========

Big Bad MLS

@BigBadMLS

As I stated previously I’m no longer reporting on the Reynolds situation. It’s a crazy situation filled with a ton false starts and hurdles. It’s an incredibly stressful time for the Reynolds family and FC Dallas. We all just want it to be done and it will be soon. Patience
Juventus and Benevento reach agreement

:)

Ives Galarcep

@SoccerByIves

From the 6 Degrees of #USMNT/#MLS Dept:

A torn ACL forced Chris Armas to miss the 2002 World Cup.

Greg Vanney was set to replace him, but was also injured, so Steve Cherundolo replaced him.

19 years later, Vanney leaves TFC, Armas beats out Cherundolo for Vanney's old job.

I get it that lots of parents are only putting their kids in MLS academies and high level club soccer because they think they'll get a chance at a scholarship.  But I just don't see the point of college soccer.  As it stands in 2021, it's a substandard product, with substandard training, that produces substandard players.  I know some of you guys played.  I'm not trying to crap on that experience and I'm super jealous of your talent to get there.  However, I think college soccer likely set back national team development during the 1990s and 2000s.  Imagine if MLS academies could have been brought along to a high level at the creation of the league?

Now, for those of you that have family members who might get scholarships, I think that's wonderful.  Take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.
Well I was going to say the same thing as you yesterday, but I looked at last year's Super Draft and obviously college is still a viable route to the pros.  Obviously while not optimal, it's sufficient enough that some kids are able to go that route.

Anyone investing in their kids soccer for a scholarship is getting a bad return on investment.  You're looking at probably $100K when it's said and done if you travel to watch them play.

This may not look related to this thread but this should open up minutes for one of our best youth prospects in Dante Sealy (who is over at Bayern training this winter)

=============

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

The Colorado Rapids have acquired winger Michael Barrios from FC Dallas in exchange for an international roster spot and SuperDraft considerations, per sources. Barrios, 29, had 5g/15a in 2019 then 1g/5a in 2020. Top 5 in MLS in chances created from open play in 2020

Just more confirmation of what we already know

===========

Jose Mourinho at the United States Coaches Convention #UnitedCV21

@UnitedCoaches

"I see matches of #MLS When I can. They interest me a lot. Especially now with the young players coming and going. European scouts HAVE their eyes on MLS "

Did you just flat out ignore all the valid reasons people gave you last time when you played this exact same card before?

99.999% of players won't be pro's.  It is as simple as that.
There are valid reasons for college soccer.  They don't surpass the reasons for NOT having college soccer IMO.

What are the outcomes I care about?

1. Talent development for the USMNT
  2. Talent development for the MLS
  3. Raising the profile of the professional game in the USA
  4. Giving kids opportunities that they wouldn't otherwise get
So tell me why college soccer is better than the MLS academies for any of these?  Getting recruited for college soccer is not an efficient way of getting opportunities for kids.  Those underprivileged kids at MLS academies are getting a better education there than in the public school they would have been attending.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Moe.