What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (10 Viewers)

He looked awesome in those playoff games.  I would bet that is going to carry over into this year, guy should be a PPR stud and I actually like where he is being drafted in the second.

i dont get why the unquestioned chiefs starting running back is being drafted so low... especially after producing at a high level last year. plus you get the added "benefit" of a legit handcuff in hyde should williams get hurt. 

Was doing ESPN mocks this morning and was kind of shocked to see DWill as 44. I’m reaching for both at pick #3 in the 3rd round but I don’t have a 4th or 5th round pick so I’m thinking either DWill or Jacobs at this spot. I think DWill retains the lead role but I love Thompson so will be picking him up regardless of whether I pick DWill or not. 

Jacobs is a big risk but I just have a feeling he is gonna be one of the top 5 workhorses in the league. Cadillac #2. 

There were a few times Chubb and Gurley fell that far and if that happens that would make it really difficult. I know almost everyone would say Chubb but I’m not as high on him as most. And Gurley - man who knows with that knee. Hard to pull the trigger on so much uncertainty. I still think DWill is the safest of those 4. 
Of the 4 you mentioned, current ADP (as of 28 Jul) has it as Gurley (9), Chubb (12), Williams (13), and Jacobs (20).

As for Williams, I am warming up to him, and barring injury, has the makings of a very good season.  I do not expect this to be any form of a RBBC - Hyde, Thompson, and Williams will vie for leftovers.  Hopefully good news on his recent hammy.

i dont get why the unquestioned chiefs starting running back is being drafted so low... especially after producing at a high level last year. plus you get the added "benefit" of a legit handcuff in hyde should williams get hurt. 
He's already got a soft-tissue injury keeping him out of practice. There are a bunch of veterans, second year players, and rookies in the KC backfield just waiting for their opportunity.

Because he’s a Donnell Bennett

This guy is already dealing with a hamstring injury?  This is an injury that pops up frequently in baseball spring training.  IMO, hamstring injuries at the start of training camp are something you have to associate with a lack of conditioning.

It makes you wonder, does Williams not understand the opportunity that has been handed to him?  Be afraid, be very afraid.

This guy is already dealing with a hamstring injury?  This is an injury that pops up frequently in baseball spring training.  IMO, hamstring injuries at the start of training camp are something you have to associate with a lack of conditioning.

It makes you wonder, does Williams not understand the opportunity that has been handed to him?  Be afraid, be very afraid.
Seems like a tremendous overreaction to a fairly common training camp occurrence.

a_troll00 said:

Whoa, reach much? This is an extremely common injury around training camp and OTAs lol 

I for one will be one of those guys hoping to capitalize on all the “Mahomes regression” ....they can’t be that good again noise....give me every piece of the KC pie I can get....
I think it's possible in redraft (definitely keeper leagues) that after the first 3 rounds you can have Hill and Mahomes and/or Williams/Kelce. Depending on your league rules....6 points for Passing TD, TE mandatory, etc.

I haven't decided yet if that's a winning strategy or too many eggs in one basket, but leaning winning strategy right now.

I think it's possible in redraft (definitely keeper leagues) that after the first 3 rounds you can have Hill and Mahomes and/or Williams/Kelce. Depending on your league rules....6 points for Passing TD, TE mandatory, etc.

I haven't decided yet if that's a winning strategy or too many eggs in one basket, but leaning winning strategy right now.
It is a possible volatile strategy that may do great for the regular fantasy season but could have drastic issues for playoffs.  In the playoffs, if they have one bad game you are done and your season is over. 

Don't sleep on Darrell Williams as the backup.

And Damien's injury is considered minor. The Chiefs beat writer was on the radio yesterday and said he's been doing some work still and expects him back to full training pretty quick.

Not a bad strategy but I prefer the idea of investing in great offenses but spreading it out a bit. Focus on getting players from KC, NO, Atlanta, Colts and the Rams maybe. Depending on where you are drafting, you could target 2 or 3 of those teams to be overweight on. 

Any updates? Is he back and practicing?

The little bit that I've read and heard is that the hamstring issue is minor and that he is expected back soon. Homers- can you add any information?

Thanks in advance.

OBJ had major hamstring injuries in training camp/first few games of rookie year. 

Thanks. 

Can you provide the local context of what the media is saying regarding the severity of the hamstring issue?
I am not local but I do follow and read a lot of Chiefs news. There really isnt alot of chatter at all as far as severity at this time. I will pop back in and post if I see any news or twitter updates.

610 Sports Radio (@610SportsKC) tweeted at 2:38 PM on Thu, Aug 01, 2019:
"I'm working on my second 53-man roster right now &  I think I have Carlos Hyde getting cut. I like what I've seen from Darrel Williams & Darwin Thompson. I think Damien Williams should be back in the mix soon. He could be good to go this weekend" -

@pgsween on #TheDrive. #Chiefs https://t.co/cQrdDMjXTs
https://twitter.com/610SportsKC/status/1157012835630796800?s=09

"I'm working on my second 53-man roster right now &  I think I have Carlos Hyde getting cut. I like what I've seen from Darrel Williams & Darwin Thompson. I think Damien Williams should be back in the mix soon. He could be good to go this weekend" -

Thanks! Stuff like this makes this place great.

HULLOBUDMAN said:

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has watched Hyde the last 2 years. He's been awful. I was surprised they signed him in the first place, instead of just keeping Ware, who is a superior player. I guess they were just tired of Ware's injuries.

I don't think Hyde getting cut would change Williams value too much, but Darwin Thompson could be shooting up boards soon.

Carlos Hyde was given $1.5 million guaranteed.  He isn't getting cut.  Hyde and Williams have very similar contracts.  Williams was guaranteed $1.6 million.  Both will earn $2.8 million this year (Williams got his contract on December 27th so his signing bonus technically was part of last year's salary cap).  Hyde"s contract is a little better since it's only a one year deal whereas Williams is under contract for $2.3 million in 2020.  That is essentially a team option.  Why would the Chiefs give Hyde a slightly better contract than Williams if they were sure that Williams was their guy?  Damien Williams is as high risk/high reward as any one this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carlos Hyde was given $1.5 million guaranteed.  He isn't getting cut.  Hyde and Williams have very similar contracts.  Williams was guaranteed $1.6 million.  Both will earn $2.8 million this year (Williams got his contract on December 27th so his signing bonus technically was part of last year's salary cap).  Hyde"s contract is a little better since it's only a one year deal whereas Williams is under contract for $2.3 million in 2020.  That is essentially a team option.  Why would the Chiefs give Hyde a slightly better contract than Williams if they were sure that Williams was their guy?  Damien Williams is as high risk/high reward as any one this year.
Williams wasn't exactly in a great bargaining position having been a journeyman type player and was likely glad to get a decent contract in a place where he could increase his bargaining power tremendously putting up big numbers.

Hyde's "better" contract (and frankly I don't see how it's better) isn't really relevant. He was an UFA and he obviously wasn't in high demand based on the offer he took. $1.5MM does not guarantee him a roster spot. That's peanuts. If the Chiefs coaching staff think Darrell Williams and Darwin Thompson are better players and don't want to risk losing them to waivers, they'll make the team and Hyde will get cut. It's too early to say right now whether any of these guys (outside of Damien Williams who has already been named the starter) will make the team of course, but Hyde has bounced around a lot these last few years and it would be far from shocking if he's cut.

Hyde's "better" contract (and frankly I don't see how it's better) isn't really relevant. 
It's a better contract because they are getting paid the same this year but Hyde will be an unrestricted free agent next year while Williams will be under contract for an unguaranteed $2.3 million.  It's far better to be an UFA in the event of having a good year.  And Hyde's contract is relevant.  He is receiving the 22nd highest amount in the league for a running back.  It is indicative of how the Chiefs feel about him.  They wouldn't be paying him starter money if they didn't believe he had a significant chance to have a major role.

$1.5MM does not guarantee him a roster spot. That's peanuts.
$1.5 million is not peanuts.  Teams don't throw around signing bonuses like that willy-nillly.  Can you name a player who received that much in guaranteed money and then did not make the 53-man roster?

Damien Williams did not practice on Friday.
Really sounds like Reid is getting a little peeved about this lingering a bit, talked at length about how important it is to be practicing right now.

I'm purely speculating here, but I can't help but get the feeling the Chiefs are watching what happens in Buffalo a bit at RB. I think Yeldon, and obviously McCoy would be very welcome additions in KC, if either are let go. They both bring more to the table than Hyde in passing game(McCoy does in general) and I can't see the Bills keeping 5 RB's, and Singletary, Gore, and Murphy(ST) seem like locks.

Really sounds like Reid is getting a little peeved about this lingering a bit, talked at length about how important it is to be practicing right now.

I'm purely speculating here, but I can't help but get the feeling the Chiefs are watching what happens in Buffalo a bit at RB. I think Yeldon, and obviously McCoy would be very welcome additions in KC, if either are let go. They both bring more to the table than Hyde in passing game(McCoy does in general) and I can't see the Bills keeping 5 RB's, and Singletary, Gore, and Murphy(ST) seem like locks.
There have been a few rumors McCoy could be cut so that’s a great point about him potentially landing in KC. I think they like Williams. I wouldn’t read too much into  it. If he’s back at practice next week you’ll never hear of that again.

Maybe KC gives Buffalo a late pick for McCoy. Even if they like Williams, I could see McCoy being used .a lot and Reid preferring him.

Rotoworld take:

ESPN's Adam Teicher reports Chiefs coach Andy Reid "sounded frustrated" when discussing Damien Williams' hamstring injury.

‘’He’s missed quite a bit,’’ Reid said about Williams, who's missed the past week of camp with a nagging hamstring injury. "He’s missed a lot of plays. It’s been great for these other guys. [Carlos Hyde] has done a nice job. He’s got a lot of reps and he’s taking advantage of them.’’ It could be much ado about nothing, but it's at the very least interesting that Reid specifically mentioned Hyde as a standout fill-in. Kansas City also drafted Darwin Thompson in the sixth round and most recently converted CB Tremon Smith to running back for depth. It would certainly help his cause if Williams can make it back before the Chiefs take the field for their first preseason contest.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Aug 3, 2019, 5:53 PM ET

Hamstring problems can linger.  This could be a problem well Into the season.
Wouldn't be unheard of for a guy in Williams' position to try to come back too soon and re-injure it either.  That role is primed for just about anyone to be successful and look better than they are.  There can't be much chance that Williams wants anyone else taking any of his reps, especially in games. 

Damien Williams (hamstring) returned to practice Wednesday.

Williams missed 10 days of work after going down early in training camp. Coach Andy Reid sounded frustrated when discussing the injury last week, but Williams is good to go well ahead of Week 1 and just needs to avoid setbacks. That's always easier said than done with hamstrings. However, Williams should be right back in the back-end RB1 mix when the season kicks off.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Aug 7, 2019, 9:46 AM ET

Williams practicing today however Hyde running with the 1s to start practice. Ploy to motivate? 
Maybe easing him in and a little bit of a ploy.

I don’t think they would have named him the starter so early if there would be competition just because he missed a week or so of practice. Doesn’t seem like a Reid type move, but who knows?

Brooke Pryor @bepryor

Damien Williams takes his first snaps of 11-on-11 and catches a Mahomes pass from his tip toes on the sideline

Matt Derrick @mattderrick

Damien Williams getting some work here with the ones in third-and-goal. Had a couple of nice catches.

Was just coming in to post that perhaps he wasnt so limited after all.

Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) tweeted at 10:27 AM on Wed, Aug 07, 2019:
Damien Williams back in with the #1 offense. Working on red zone offense from the 10. Quick swing pass, puts a move on Tyrann Mathieu & waltzes into the end zone.
https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/1159123869023854592?s=09

Brandon Kiley (@BKSportsTalk) tweeted at 10:21 AM on Wed, Aug 07, 2019:
Damien Williams getting some time with the #1 offense. First play was an inside zone. Then a flare route with a toe-tap catch along the sideline before Hyde came back in. Looked good. #Chiefs
https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/1159122399775907842?s=09

:shrug: not sure there is really much to see here.....based on his performance in relief last year....his new contract given....him being anointed the returning/incumbent starter strongly and consistently throughout the preseason.....this really just feels like a strong RB1 in a powerful offense that will be making many trips to the red zone once again....and he has a cheap handcuff....RB13ish seems crazy value to me and the absolute floor....he could continue to just be average "skill set" wise, but will still stumble or trip over himself into top 10 production in that offense IMO....draft accordingly

I was really high on Williams and still am but have to remember he came in 100% fresh near the end of the year when everyone was worn down. He is in a phenomenal situation and that’s mostly the draw. The opportunity. Not talent or prior success really. I’m torn on him or Fournette. 

The fantasy football community is SO CUTE. ❤️ Nobody cared about this guy this time last year. He only gets the starting job because Kareem Hunt beats up a woman. Has 183 carries over 5 years for a stout 4.0 YPC. Never exceed 50 carries in a single season. Every indication suggest he's JAG in a great offense. He's been hurt in training camp and Andy Reid announced a RBBC with a guy who at least has been a bellcow in the past (Carlos Hyde).

Despite all that, his ADP is #22 OVERALL (2.10) and being drafted ahead of his Quarterback who just posted the BEST FANTASY FOOTBALL SEASON OF ALL TIME (Patrick Mahomes). This is a classic "way to lose your season in the second round pick". He was brought in as depth. His career numbers show he's JAG. He's already been injured this pre-season and people are drafting him as THEIR 2ND BEST PLAYER. If Damien Williams is your 2nd, 3rd best player your team is in trouble.

Give me Keenan Allen, Kerryon Johnson, Melvin Gordon, Adam Theiland, TY Hilton, Patrick Mahomes, Leonard Fournette, Amari Cooper, Zach Ertz, Marlon Mack, Derrick Henry, and Brandin Cooks ahead of this guy. And it's NOT CLOSE.

Users who are viewing this thread