What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (5 Viewers)

Bigboy10182000 said:

Any idea how long Williams could miss as well? Ruling him out so early in the week felt like this could be a multiple week injury.

Don't worry mate. It's a nothing burger.  Which I guess means a serious bone bruise that is too painful to practice or play on for at least a week's duration.
They said Rodgers had a bone bruise in his knee last year after his week 1 mangling by the Bears. It was revealed after the season that he actually had a small tibial plateau fracture. How he played on that knee all season is beyond me. If Williams has anything close to that, he will be out for weeks at least. They've been super cryptic about it so far, which I sleuth to mean it's a worse injury than they've let on.

If he were fine, I think they'd have come out and said that. They've been releasing all the good news about TyFreek's injury but have been eerily silent about DWilly and then a report surfaced late this past week about him limping considerably. Yikes.

Why am I sensing a Darrell Williams ascension coming soon just to really muther eff everyone.

Maybe it's because I was one of the fool's holding the Spencer B. Ware bag last year when DWill swooped.

I own both McCoy and MGD and can see big Andy getting me once again.
Fool me once, Fat Andy, shame on you.

Sharkpool saved my ### this morning. Read the blurb about Darrell Dub starting and swooped him in 2/2 leagues with the quickness at 9:57a, dropping the short stack rookie. MGD, I barely knew ye.

:Ear to the ground. Hand on the wire:

I don't think he lost his job with McCoy further aggravating his injury and Darrell Williams and Thompson playing second fiddle. 

Has he lost his starting job?  He looks like he could be he 4th most talented RB on the team.

I own him and Ekeler, considering trading him for Gordon... yay?  nay?
I don’t know think he has lost the starting job, because I haven’t seen anything that says that, but maybe someone on here knows something that I don’t?

But if you feel like you want to cover your bases regarding Ekeler, if you personally think Damien Williams won’t produce anymore and/or hurt badly, go for it. No matter what happens, just make sure you can live with the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has he lost his starting job?  He looks like he could be he 4th most talented RB on the team.

I own him and Ekeler, considering trading him for Gordon... yay?  nay?
I would move for for Gordon in a heartbeat for any league not redraft. DWill has virtually no long term value. (I say this as a DWill owner in my main league.) He's simply not going to get the touches and does not have the talent to be more than a short term JAG. 

Whether or not he starts upon his return from injury, this backfield is a pure RBBC- decent back end RB2/FLEX plays; the only uncertainty is the permutations of this model.

Darwin might eventually carve out a significant share, but my money is on the next lead back for KC coming in the 2020 draft. This group is a compendium of placeholders.

Ack88 said:
I would move for for Gordon in a heartbeat for any league not redraft. DWill has virtually no long term value. (I say this as a DWill owner in my main league.) He's simply not going to get the touches and does not have the talent to be more than a short term JAG. 

Whether or not he starts upon his return from injury, this backfield is a pure RBBC- decent back end RB2/FLEX plays; the only uncertainty is the permutations of this model.

Darwin might eventually carve out a significant share, but my money is on the next lead back for KC coming in the 2020 draft. This group is a compendium of placeholders.
I disagree as the other Williams has barely played and when he did he has looked good. 

Damien Williams (knee) won't practice again Thursday.

Williams is trending towards missing his second consecutive game after failing to suit up on Wednesday or Thursday. LeSean McCoy and Darrel Williams would again form a two-back committee if Williams is ultimately sidelined, with Darwin Thompson also seeing a few snaps. Anyone even remotely involved in the Chiefs offense holds a decent amount of fantasy value. They're presently implied to score a week-high 30.5 points against the Lions.

SOURCE: James Palmer on Twitter.

Sep 26, 2019, 12:53 PM ET

Okay, I GM Williams so I'm ornery to begin with, but when did predicting a score become "implied?"

That's not a use of the word I've ever heard. 

It's based on the Vegas Over/Under for the game while taking the Vegas point spread into account. Obviously still not exactly gospel.
Ah, okay. Without being pissy, I still don't understand how "implied" comes into play. I think they're using the wrong word. It should read something like: According to estimates, KC will/might score approximately 30.5 points this weekend

1/2 the over under plus 1/2 the spread

If the over under is 40 and the spread is 6 they're predicting something like a 23-17 game so the implied score for the favorite is 23. 
Ah, now that makes sense. Thanks. Then it's not being used incorrectly, just sort of jargon-y.

Ah, okay. Without being pissy, I still don't understand how "implied" comes into play. I think they're using the wrong word. It should read something like: According to estimates, KC will/might score approximately 30.5 points this weekend
If the O/U is 45 for the Team X/Team Y game and Team X is a 5 point favorite, the implication is that Team X will score 25 points.

He was just dropped in my short bench league (5 spots). I have Darrel. May try to swap em out.

These short bench leagues make it hard to hold onto folks. Someone dropped Sony too. 

Ah, now that makes sense. Thanks. Then it's not being used incorrectly, just sort of jargon-y.
Vegas doesn't explicitly predict the score of the games, but the betting lines imply what they think the score will be.

It's not explicit because Vegas has to worry about parlays and teases and system bets like always paying to cross 3 and 7, etc. So Vegas might actually be predicting a 21-17 finish but by setting a 6 point spread and an over under of 40 they're hoping to get people to bet the favorite with poor odds and take the over in a low scoring game.  It really is implied. 

Vegas doesn't explicitly predict the score of the games, but the betting lines imply what they think the score will be.

It's not explicit because Vegas has to worry about parlays and teases and system bets like always paying to cross 3 and 7, etc. So Vegas might actually be predicting a 21-17 finish but by setting a 6 point spread and an over under of 40 they're hoping to get people to bet the favorite with poor odds and take the over in a low scoring game.  It really is implied. 
Wow. Thanks again. Learn something new...

He was just dropped in my short bench league (5 spots). I have Darrel. May try to swap em out.

These short bench leagues make it hard to hold onto folks. Someone dropped Sony too. 
I wouldn't do that. You have no idea how long he is out and Darrel looked really good last week and only has Shady with a bum ankle ahead of him. Right now Darrel is a Shady ankle reaggravation from being a top 10 fantasy RB. Also,I have a feeling Reid may have been throwing shade toward Damien this week too when he talked so much about how great Shady was in rehabbing.  Perhaps implying Damien wasn't?

I really believe Darrel is on the verge of just supplanting Damien long term as the #2 or #1b guy if he hasn't already, 

I wouldn't do that. You have no idea how long he is out and Darrel looked really good last week and only has Shady with a bum ankle ahead of him. Right now Darrel is a Shady ankle reaggravation from being a top 10 fantasy RB. Also,I have a feeling Reid may have been throwing shade toward Damien this week too when he talked so much about how great Shady was in rehabbing.  Perhaps implying Damien wasn't?

I really believe Darrel is on the verge of just supplanting Damien long term as the #2 or #1b guy if he hasn't already, 
I think it's probably more accurate to say Darrel and Damien are fighting for the #1a slot, and the Chiefs would like to keep McCoy as the #1b.

As I mentioned in Darrel's thread: McCoy has been second amongst KC's RBs in snap% in all three games (29% 41% 38%).  Best I can tell, they'd like to keep him in the 30-40% range.

They've been way too cryptic about Demian. As each day goes by with no practice and no injury details, I think more and more that this is damage to the tibial plateau, perhaps even a fracture. If that proves true, for an RB, that's 4-6 weeks minimum, and probably more like 6-8. This is all pure conjecture, based on very limited circumstantial clues, but I've been steadily increasing my perception of the odds of this since last week's DNPs.

They've been way too cryptic about Demian. As each day goes by with no practice and no injury details, I think more and more that this is damage to the tibial plateau, perhaps even a fracture. If that proves true, for an RB, that's 4-6 weeks minimum, and probably more like 6-8. This is all pure conjecture, based on very limited circumstantial clues, but I've been steadily increasing my perception of the odds of this since last week's DNPs.
I didn't have all those technical terms but yes I feel it'll be longer as well. I've scooped up the other Williams in all of my leagues and some I'm still holding Darwin Thompson (at least until I need that roster spot).

davearm said:
I think it's probably more accurate to say Darrel and Damien are fighting for the #1a slot, and the Chiefs would like to keep McCoy as the #1b.

As I mentioned in Darrel's thread: McCoy has been second amongst KC's RBs in snap% in all three games (29% 41% 38%).  Best I can tell, they'd like to keep him in the 30-40% range.
Yep.  They view him as old and fear if they use him as a workhorse he will not be around for the playoffs.  It would not shock me if they finally start riding him more heavily as they go deeper into the playoffs.  

davearm said:

Isn't that skewed though since Shady was getting the majority of the touches last week until the 4th quarter when he left and Darrel took over?

The new D Williams played well and all, but I don't see how they're putting him ahead of Shady.

Isn't that skewed though since Shady was getting the majority of the touches last week until the 4th quarter when he left and Darrel took over?

The new D Williams played well and all, but I don't see how they're putting him ahead of Shady.
I think Roto said he (Darrel) started the game, actually.

Here's how i see it

When Damien and McCoy were both healthy, they wanted to get Williams about 15 touches per game and McCoy about the same. 

When Williams got hurt and McCoy got dinged, they certainly didn't plan on increasing McCoy's workload unless they absolutely needed to. Last week they didn't absolutely need to. So they kept him around the same volume and backfilled the other carries to the next man up. 

Darwin is still too unproven to trust as a blocker, so putting him in early in games encourages a team like the ravens to attack, and he's just not good enough to be worth it. But they wanted to get him a few game reps so they put him in late. 

Darrell Williams hasn't necessarily passed Darwin on the depth chart - or vice versa. They're both ok options like Ware and Charcandrick a few years ago. Darrell is more experienced and has some size so he was the first choice off the bench.  

Neither one has earned a "starting" role, despite the fantasy community's wishes.  Williams was getting hit in the backfield a ton - yes he averaged a puny yards per carry, but https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/1176355877428879361?s=09

In my opinion, the running game is not their priority. It's there to create balance for the passing game.  Darrell filled in fine but he's nothing special. None of them are, really.  Darrell and Darwin both have a chance to prove themselves, but it's still Damien and McCoy at the top of the list, and damien's receiving and blocking this year are still better than what the other guys have shown even if his running wasn't.  

Note that i own one share of each across different leagues and don't look at any of them as my every week starters, but I'd start McCoy if i needed a good rb2 in that league.  

I think Roto said he (Darrel) started the game, actually.
If they did, I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.  It was reported before game that Darrel would start (based on McCoy’s “limp” & Darrel being first in pre-game RB drills).  I watched the game though, & I’m pretty sure McCoy was 1st RB in the game.

Oh, this is what Roto said

"Pre-game speculation that Williams might start proved false, but Williams did handle the ball on the Chiefs' opening drive and ended up out-touching LeSean McCoy 14-11 after McCoy tweaked his ankle injury."

So they actually said he just handled the ball. Great. That tidbit won't lead to confusion at all. Normally I'm exacting on myself, but jeez...

If they did, I’m pretty sure that’s wrong.  It was reported before game that Darrel would start (based on McCoy’s “limp” & Darrel being first in pre-game RB drills).  I watched the game though, & I’m pretty sure McCoy was 1st RB in the game.
It's absolutely wrong.  I'm one of the many idiots that listened to the guy on twitter and pulled mccoy out of my lineup with about 30 seconds to spare then definitely NOTICED when McCoy STARTED.  100% certainty.  He didn't get a touch for quite a while though.

Here's how i see it

When Damien and McCoy were both healthy, they wanted to get Williams about 15 touches per game and McCoy about the same. 

When Williams got hurt and McCoy got dinged, they certainly didn't plan on increasing McCoy's workload unless they absolutely needed to. Last week they didn't absolutely need to. So they kept him around the same volume and backfilled the other carries to the next man up. 

Darwin is still too unproven to trust as a blocker, so putting him in early in games encourages a team like the ravens to attack, and he's just not good enough to be worth it. But they wanted to get him a few game reps so they put him in late. 

Darrell Williams hasn't necessarily passed Darwin on the depth chart - or vice versa. They're both ok options like Ware and Charcandrick a few years ago. Darrell is more experienced and has some size so he was the first choice off the bench.  

Neither one has earned a "starting" role, despite the fantasy community's wishes.  Williams was getting hit in the backfield a ton - yes he averaged a puny yards per carry, but https://twitter.com/ScottBarrettDFB/status/1176355877428879361?s=09

In my opinion, the running game is not their priority. It's there to create balance for the passing game.  Darrell filled in fine but he's nothing special. None of them are, really.  Darrell and Darwin both have a chance to prove themselves, but it's still Damien and McCoy at the top of the list, and damien's receiving and blocking this year are still better than what the other guys have shown even if his running wasn't.  

Note that i own one share of each across different leagues and don't look at any of them as my every week starters, but I'd start McCoy if i needed a good rb2 in that league.  
So glad I got rid of Shady and DT in the leagues i had one or both.  This is a mess.  Glad to have Watkins in one league, Hardman in one, and Robinson in the other.

The interesting part to me was having Darwin in at the end of the game last week taking some pretty important carries. That game was still in the balance when that happened. 

I could honestly see a scenario where Damian is being phased out. We'll see this weekend if Darwin gets some more work. 

The interesting part to me was having Darwin in at the end of the game last week taking some pretty important carries. That game was still in the balance when that happened. 

I could honestly see a scenario where Damian is being phased out. We'll see this weekend if Darwin gets some more work. 
Shady reinjured his ankle.

Damien Williams (knee) remained sidelined at Friday's practice.

Williams hasn't played or practiced since injuring his knee in Week 2 and won't be in uniform Sunday in Detroit. LeSean McCoy will lead the backfield in his absence, though Darrel Williams, who led the team with 109 yards from scrimmage last week, could also be a factor. Consider Williams (Damien, not Darrel) week to week.

SOURCE: Adam Teicher on Twitter

Sep 27, 2019, 1:01 PM ET

This tells us everything about his condition and yet nothing at the same time. He's unable to dress for football. What we don't know is what this thing is and for how long it will last.

He has to be my biggest regretted drafting person over the last 10 years. Mostly because I knew going into it and he was on my do not draft last, was never a fan for multiple reasons.  But he was the last RB left in his tier group and so I panicked and grabbed him.  Post draft then I talked myself into it being a good pick because he was the lead back on the top offense.  Lesson learned to trust your prep and stick to your guns (you would think after 20 years of drafting I wouldn’t need to be reminding myself of this🤦‍♂️).  

He has to be my biggest regretted drafting person over the last 10 years. Mostly because I knew going into it and he was on my do not draft last, was never a fan for multiple reasons.  But he was the last RB left in his tier group and so I panicked and grabbed him.  Post draft then I talked myself into it being a good pick because he was the lead back on the top offense.  Lesson learned to trust your prep and stick to your guns (you would think after 20 years of drafting I wouldn’t need to be reminding myself of this🤦‍♂️).  
Hindsight. Shady wasn't there when you drafted, and who knew he would get injured. And he had that long wheel route TD in preseason. He did it all in Miami, but didn't excel in anything, except perhaps a good job pass blocking.

I don’t think I have room with Zeke, Carson, Shady, Lindsay and Freeman. But if injuries or he wins the job back he could be a league winner for someone other than who drafted him. 

KC has at least three RB's they can feed and that's NOT including the rest of the offense. Almost feel like none of them are going to stand out this season.

But if I had to choose, it's Shady the rest of the way. 

Users who are viewing this thread