What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (3 Viewers)

Just asked Sig about AdP's return next year.

This is his response.

Sigmund Bloom said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Dear Abbey,

Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson is still in his prime and still one of the best in the NFL.

This isn't a substance abuse issue so I think he has a zero chance of recidivism of future child abuse.

You're the lawyer so this is your bailiwick.

Not anticipating he has a chance to play this year but what is your best professional legal guestimate of him playing next year?

Signed Sad AdP Owner
99% will play next year. not this year
Re: this year:

1. He has to get the NFL to ok his return.

2. He has to get the Vikes ok his return or they have to release or trade him to another team.

No. 1 may be heavily impacted by what happens in the Ray Rice case which is basically about whether Rog can just arbitrarily make up rules and penalties without any due process or transparency. If all goes "well" there for AP let's just say the best case scenario is a determination of suspension deemed complete with time served.

No. 2 is more complicated. I think any kind of speculation about what the Vikes feel or believe morally or financially is pointless, we don't know. There are also several sponsors to consider and the fans, and again we don't know how they will react. There is also a bit of a groove going on with Teddy, McKinnon and Asiata. AP is one of the greatest of all time, but there is a young team with chemistry making headway.

There are so many moving pieces here.

If he reaches a plea deal tomorrow I think his ability to play this season will now depend on how well he navigates through the court of public opinion. His press conference, assuming he has one, will be huge for his immediate and future ability to play in the NFL.

Up until this point he's only provided some oddball tweets and a statement issued by his attorney who also said something about how AP wanted to speak out publicly about this but was advised against it which is pretty standard with a legal case ongoing.

So if he can stand up in a press conference and not read an attorney prepared statement but at least appear to be using his own words and explain his background, why he believed that this form of punishment was the best course of action based on who he was raised, continue to reiterate he is a good parent, mention how he's since learned alternative methods of punishment are more advisable and kick in a bunch of stuff about how he's learned from this how to be a better parent and hopes he's served as a lesson to others on how to be a better parent and pull it off in a contrite and sincere way I think he'll be suiting up in no more than a few weeks.

On the other hand if he thinks he can just reach a plea deal and throw out an attorney prepared letter and all will be good I think he'll be unpleasantly surprised. This has always been about satiating the court of public opinion, if it was not he'd have stayed instated back in week 2.

All in all I'll say I'd have liked his chances of playing this year a lot more if he could have pulled this plea deal off before the trade deadline. I just recall several comments from fairly respected NFL insiders saying the Vikings have moved on but other teams would be interested if they attempted to trade him.

The NFL is too bruised to let this guy play this year. It's just now finally getting past the Rice and Peterson debacle, entering the prime of the season with playoff spots on the line. The last thing the NFL wants is controversy. 99.9% certain he does not play this year.

yeah I don't think the NFL is ready to revive a controversy or two when people are just starting to forget about Rice/Peterson and move on without them. Certainly Minn isn't. They are already in groom mode for their rookie backfield.

IMO, he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already been in discussions with the NFL to play right away.
Are we sure about this?

How do we know the NFL didn't tell him, 'no way we can even discuss reinstatement until you get past your legal case'?
If that's the case, then Peterson has no incentive to agree to a plea deal. Remember that he is getting paid his full salary this season, so it's in his best interest financially to avoid a plea agreement.That's why I said that he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already had discussions with the NFL.

IMO, he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already been in discussions with the NFL to play right away.
Are we sure about this?

How do we know the NFL didn't tell him, 'no way we can even discuss reinstatement until you get past your legal case'?
If that's the case, then Peterson has no incentive to agree to a plea deal. Remember that he is getting paid his full salary this season, so it's in his best interest financially to avoid a plea agreement.That's why I said that he would only agree to a plea deal if he'd already had discussions with the NFL.
Yep, what you say makes sense.

Well, Rapp has been wrong before, but-

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Adrian Peterson would not be immediately reinstated were he to reach a plea deal to reduce his felony child-abuse charges to misdemeanors.
Rapsheet says AD would earn reinstatement "maybe in time," but "not immediately." It's unclear why that would be the case, but the NFL has been handling all of 2014's off-the-field issues by the seat of its pants. There's been no consistency, or any set formula. Our guess is that if Peterson gets squared with the law, the NFL won't be able to continue his "paid leave" for much longer than it already has. Unless the Vikings simply don't want him to, Peterson is looking like a good bet to see the field again this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaches plea deal, get suspended w/out pay for rest of yr. Returns 2015 for the time he was out and plays after their Bye
Hasn't he already been paid, since he was on the exempt list he was getting paid, right? How would the NFL punish him in terms of gamechecks, or would they just not?
The league could do anything they want but I'd at least expect them to have his give up 6 game checks.

Reaches plea deal, get suspended w/out pay for rest of yr. Returns 2015 for the time he was out and plays after their Bye
Hasn't he already been paid, since he was on the exempt list he was getting paid, right? How would the NFL punish him in terms of gamechecks, or would they just not?
The league could do anything they want but I'd at least expect them to have his give up 6 game checks.
Thats what Mort and Shefter just said on ESPN. The Commissioner Exempt list is just for this reason. Once his legal issues are resolved he will be removed. The league can decide its case then, and since the punishment for this crime is 6 games the chances of him playing again are likely if he can repay the 6 game checks. The league can only punish for weed if he is convicted of weed crimes or failed one of their tests. If they do not charge him of failing a weed test as part of the plea, the league cant use it as punishment.

If he gets in trouble for that and is not in the program he will get one or two games if he does fail that. So it looks at most 8 games is what he can reasonably be given without the NFLPA stepping in.

they exiled ray rice who had a slap on the wrist from the courts for a first time offense domestic assault charge, but AP is facing felony charges that call for serious jail time. the league has been all over the place with fines and suspensions so no one can predict what they will do yet, even the ginger hammer doesnt know what punishment he will hand down to AP. but in my opinion his legal team is trying to get a plea deal so he doesnt get locked up, they obviously dont have an easy case of innocence or they would fight to have him exonerated, but if he takes the plea deal to avoid career ending jail time then he acknowledges his guilt, and i dont see the NFL letting a him back in very easily... if at all.

I don't think the Vikings want him back. This is the Teddy show, the A.P. show has been cancelled. Building for the future, not looking to the past

Reaches plea deal, get suspended w/out pay for rest of yr. Returns 2015
I think there is a 50/50 possibility he is playing week 11 @ the Bears..

as this article points out there is a "Out" available..

If he agrees to give back the money he has received since his Suspended with pay , say he donates it to a charity.. Then in theory..He has already missed more than the six weeks required under NFL's bolstered domestic violence policy.

The Vikings and the NFL themselves would have a hard time keeping him off the field, the trade deadline has already passed.. So could see the Vikings reinstating him for the game in Chicago, get the media Scrutiny over with before the 3 home game stretch..

Anyone trading for him should have done so without an expectation for him playing his year. And paid accordingly.

Honestly I'm using my #2 waiver on him. If by a miracle he plays this year you got yourself a top 5 running back of the waivers. I'll take the chances

Honestly I'm using my #2 waiver on him. If by a miracle he plays this year you got yourself a top 5 running back of the waivers. I'll take the chances
until they take him out inside the 10 to let asiata fall forward.

-salty mckinnon owner

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that it's "very possible" Adrian Peterson returns to play for the Vikings this season.
Mort initially reported the Vikings had essentially washed their hands of A.P. Per Mortensen now, the team is "softening" its stance. Peterson should be picked up in all 12- and 14-team leagues this week in anticipation of a potential return during the fantasy playoffs. Peterson would rejoin the team with fresh legs, and likely render rookie Jerick McKinnon a change-of-pace back

I don't think the Vikings want him back. This is the Teddy show, the A.P. show has been cancelled. Building for the future, not looking to the past
I don't think fans of the other teams in the NFC North want him back either, especially with Rudolph expected back week 11.

I doubt he's going to do that. Why would he make a plea deal that results in almost the same fine as if he's found guilty?
To get it over with so he can try to play next year.

Think about it: if a trial drags on beyond this season, he could be looking at a suspension next season.
Yes, it's possible but it's also possible that he's found not guilty at trial. I think the only way he takes a plea right now is if it's already arranged that he can return this year.

I doubt he's going to do that. Why would he make a plea deal that results in almost the same fine as if he's found guilty?
To get it over with so he can try to play next year.

Think about it: if a trial drags on beyond this season, he could be looking at a suspension next season.
Yes, it's possible but it's also possible that he's found not guilty at trial. I think the only way he takes a plea right now is if it's already arranged that he can return this year.
Very few criminal defendants are found not guilty at trial. But the state can pump up its conviction rates via the plea bargain. In some cases, they threaten defendants to coerce the guilty plea.

Not sure if that's happening in this case. But taking a plea now resolves the case and lets him move forward. It saves him time and money. It's all a game.

To get it over with so he can try to play next year. Think about it: if a trial drags on beyond this season, he could be looking at a suspension next season.
1. these types of trials don't last for very long; maybe a couple weeks.2. if he's suspended next season he could actually save money, depending on how his contract is restructured.

Which would you rather have:

A. $11.75 million today (plus an undetermined amount next year, which could be anywhere between $0 and $8 million)

or

B. $7.3 million today (plus an undetermined amount next year, which could be anywhere between $0 and $12.75 million).

His salary in 2014 is guaranteed, whether he plays or not. He's not going to give that up without some kind of promise for 2015.

Jack White said:
Very few criminal defendants are found not guilty at trial. But the state can pump up its conviction rates via the plea bargain. In some cases, they threaten defendants to coerce the guilty plea.

Not sure if that's happening in this case. But taking a plea now resolves the case and lets him move forward. It saves him time and money. It's all a game.
Any idea what percent of cases that aren't plead down are either dismissed or won by the defendant at trial?

ETA: Tough to find anything but this shows that New York had a 28% acquittal rate.

I think Peterson has a much better chance than that given it's his home state, he's a celebrity and it's a comparatively lesser felony.

Jerry Curl said:
Houston turmOiler said:
Joe Summer said:
Or he wants to apply a potential suspension to this already lost season so he can start anew next season.
4-5 is a lost season? They are only just a game and a half back of the wild card.

It's cute people think that the Vikings will not let Adrian play this year if he is allowed. The Vikings are 4-5 and heading into their bye. Its amazing that some think the NFL has morals all of a sudden or that those morals top winning. Just like other players negotiated with the NFL when they made their legal pleas, ADP will do the same thing like Joe Summer said above.

Minnesota would love to have him back as soon as possible since they are 4-5 if they can speed up the process i bet they would.
Was talking about a lost season for Peterson, not the Vikes. Gotta think whatever happens he'd like to be able to start next season without any more punishment looming...hence the incentive to get all of this over with now.

Jerry Curl said:
Very interesting. As a McKinnon owner, I have my fingers cross the Vikes keep AP off the field.
Yes, because there's still a suspension looming. 6 games minimum, I'd guess 8 is the final result. Very intriguing for keepers though, and I picked him up cheap as a hold target.
Is there? Maybe he will get timed serve. He was forced to miss 7 games before he was convicted of anything.
He's not suspended, he's been paid all year. I don't think the Vikings or anyone else WANTS his return to be this year, any potential team would probably welcome the extra time to let people move on to some other story. Credit for time served would be the best of both worlds though, since teams could still wait until next year while not fearing any suspension carrying over into 2015.

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:

If he agrees to give back the money he has received since his Suspended with pay , say he donates it to a charity.. Then in theory..He has already missed more than the six weeks required under NFL's bolstered domestic violence policy.

The Vikings and the NFL themselves would have a hard time keeping him off the field, the trade deadline has already passed.. So could see the Vikings reinstating him for the game in Chicago, get the media Scrutiny over with before the 3 home game stretch..
Interesting article but it is all from the point of view of AP's attorney.

What would the reaction of sponsors and fans be if he returned?

cstu said:
Gopher State said:
I don't think fans of the other teams in the NFC North want him back either, especially with Rudolph expected back week 11.
at 4-5 the Vikings don't scare anyone in the NFC North, and wins over TB, Washington, Atlanta, and the Rams don't make you a playoff team. The Lions and Packers are for real, the Vikings are playing for the future. Next three games at Bears, home Packers, home Panthers, Vikings will be 4-8 with or without A.P. Rookie QB, no WR's (yes I am including Patterson), Vikings are not playoff material this year

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:

If they have a shot at the playoffs, sponsors won't care. More exposure for their brand. Do corporations have morals?

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:

If they have a shot at the playoffs, sponsors won't care. More exposure for their brand. Do corporations have morals?
It's just that they reacted last time. The Vikes stood by AP, everyone freaked out, some sponsors threatened to pull support. Now maybe things might be different if he has pleaded and if fans and customers feel he has done his public penance sufficiently...

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:

But the state has morals, and their paying for a big share of that new stadium that's being built, the gov of MN has weighted in on this scandal and it was not good. Some local sponsors have pulled support for A.P. and the Vikes. Bigger deal then people think with the new stadium that the state is pouring money into.

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:

But the state has morals, and their paying for a big share of that new stadium that's being built, the gov of MN has weighted in on this scandal and it was not good. Some local sponsors have pulled support for A.P. and the Vikes. Bigger deal then people think with the new stadium that the state is pouring money into.
Your over thinking it, The state cared because he wasnt being punished, Peterson will have served his punishment.

Gopher State said:
Even if you're right, and I think you are, the Vikings still likely want to get everything they can possibly get in trading him.

snogger said:
KellysHeroes said:
I think there is a 50/50 possibility he is playing week 11 @ the Bears..as this article points out there is a "Out" available..

The state has morals?

Do you have any other jokes you'd like to tell?

Well I think there is a legit shot he comes back this year, maybe even next week, if he gets a plea bargin. I don't see how the NFL can justify suspending a player guilty of a misdemeanor any longer than he has already served. I realize he hasn't really been suspended yet but if he is willing to give up pay cheques in order to play now I don't see how the NFL could stop him from doing that.

Obviously, most people found his treatment of a kid wrong but it is not on par with Ray Rice incident. We are talking about a player who never had any past incidents at all and may get convicted of a misdemeanor. Legally, IMO, The NFL has no grounds to hold him out any longer and if they tried they could be successfully sued.

Also, I think the Vikes do have legit playoff chances and if you can add a talent like AP with fresh legs down the stretch I think you do it. The Vikes can beat the Bears and the Panthers and with AP might even give the Packers a run.

I think that allowing AP to "donate" his way out of a mandatory league suspension based on "time served" resulting from a team imposed action would be a terrible precedent for the NFL to set.

I think that allowing AP to "donate" his way out of a mandatory league suspension based on "time served" resulting from a team imposed action would be a terrible precedent for the NFL to set.
Today's NFL has been built on a litany of terrible precedents. Where's the harm in one more? Still better than the Thursday night football we're now subjected to on a weekly basis.

The thing is the AP incident with his kid happened before the New Domestic Violence Policy was announced. Therefore, under the old rules it is likely he would not have been suspended at all for a misdemeanor first offense.

The league really doesn't have much legally they can do to AP without risk being sued and taken to court again and probably losing.

The thing is the AP incident with his kid happened before the New Domestic Violence Policy was announced. Therefore, under the old rules it is likely he would not have been suspended at all for a misdemeanor first offense.

The league really doesn't have much legally they can do to AP without risk being sued and taken to court again and probably losing.
It's also telling that he's not suspended by the league, but is on the 'Exempt List' by the Vikings. The league knows it's in an awkward position and faces a nasty battle if they try to tack on a suspension after he pleads guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

However, this situation raises the question as to why the team and not the league was doing the suspending in the first place. I am not sure why but the league must not have felt it was in a position to do it. Maybe because the legal proceeding had to be resolved.

In the Rice situation the team (Ravens) did the league a solid by simply cutting him. They fixed the glitch, as they say in Office Space. The Vikes did the same thing here by placing him on the exempt list, but the outfall has yet to be determined because they're not cutting AP and he can't be traded as of right now.

Users who are viewing this thread