What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrian Peterson Status Updates (2 Viewers)

2012 Peterson in 16 games had 74.4% of the offensive snaps
2013 Peterson in 14 games had 64.7% of the offensive snaps pro rated to 16 games would be 74%
2014 Peterson is 1 game had 74% of the offensive snaps

Norv Turner wnet out of his way to say that they want to get Peterson out in space and use him more than he has been previously in the passing game. Along with that he has said he does not want to see Peterson blocking defensive linemen or linebackers. How I interpret this is that Peterson will be spelled by another RB on some obvious passing downs where they may be asking the RB to block. I can see Asiata or McKinnon being used in these situations and some 3rd downs.

In 2014 the Vikings targeted RB 118 times. Asiata led all Rb with 63 targets.McKinnon had 41 targets in 11 games played. McKinnon may have had more if he remained healthy at the end of the season.

Peterson had 3 targets in the only game he played last season. Over 16 games this would be 48 targets. Peterson had had 50 or more targets 3 times in his career thus far, the last time being 2012 where he had 51 targets.

If Peterson does play 74% of the offensive snaps and the Vikings target him as frequently as they would Asiata or McKinnon that would be 87 targets.

So if I consider 48 targets as the low and 87 as the high this averages out to 68 targets. 68 targets would be 11 higher than Peterson's highest number of 57 which happened with Favre in 2009. However we have not seen how much Norv Turner will use him as a receiver for a full season yet. The Vikings were willing to target Asiata 63 times in 15 games which pro rates to 67 targets. So close to this 68 target median projection for Peterson in 2015. I do expect Peterson to be used over Asiata moreso than McKinnon and Peterson's targets to occur more on 1st and 2nd downs.

Based on this I am expecting Peterson to be targeted 48-67-78 times if healthy for 16 games. I do expect McKinnon to maintain a significant role in the passing game, however I expect the Vikings offense to improve in total plays also which is the basis of calculating the upside targets to 78.

Peterson has a career catch rate of 71.2% which using the target numbers above is 34-48-57 receptions.

Now it is possible that Peterson catches the ball at a higher than his career catch rate, because I think Bridgewater is a better QB than what Peterson has worked with for most of his career. For example in 2009 Peterson's catch rate was 75.4%

Another factor to consider is that the Vikings only ran 981 total offensive plays in 2014. If their defense improves again, as I expect it to based on Zimmers track record of defensive improvement in his second season as DC in multiple spots, as well as the significant additions of Eric Kendricks and Trae Waynes through the draft as well as expected improvement from Xavier Rhodes and Anthony Barr. I also expect the Vikings offense to improve due to Bridgewater having some experience in the offense now, further experience for Charles Johnson and Patterson, the addition of Mike Wallace who I think fits the offense better than Greg Jennings and obviously the return of Peterson.

So because of the above I can see the Vikings running 1020-1050-1080 offensive plays. The upside of adding 100 offensive plays seems unlikely, but I definitely could see them having 1050 total plays.

The Vikings passed the ball 52.7% of their plays in 2014 with Peterson back they may run the ball more, however I expect them to lean on him a bit more on Bridgewater than they did as a rookie. So I consider these two factors to be somewhat of a wash and for run to pass balance to remain about the same. 52.7% passing attempts.

Based on total play numbers above that would be 538-553-569 pasing attempts.

RBs had 22.8% of the passing targets in 2014 if this continues the RB would have 122-126-130 targets.

If the RB split targets 60% for Peterson 30% for McKinnon and 10% for Asiata that would be:

Peterson 73-75-78 targets

McKinnon 37-38-39 targets

Asiata 12-13 targets.

Here's a simple question... What has he done to warrant a new contract?
Lots of people seem to be ignoring the fact that a new contract could be beneficial to both sides. But the Vikings seem to be hell-bent on paying Peterson his full salary this year, which really makes no sense. This could have been a perfect opportunity for the Vikings to use their leverage to restructure the deal in their favor, yet they would rather pay Peterson out of spite.

The Vikings and their supporters should be asking themselves: "What would Bill Belichick do?" Do you think Belichick would give Peterson $13 million dollars at age 30? Hell no. He'd either cut Peterson, trade Peterson, or force Peterson to restructure his contract. The fact that the Vikings aren't even attempting to do any of those things is proof that the Vikings are once again behaving like the perennial bottomfeeders that they are.

If Peterson gets injured and/or the Vikings have another losing season, then this entire gamble will have been a total failure.
If Peterson gets injured, then the Vikings are going to be kicking themselves for not guaranteeing him a bunch of money? Really?
I think he was saying that the a new deal could actually save the Vikings money. Instead of $13 million this year, they maybe give him more years but less guaranteed so if he doesn't perform well this year or gets injured, they can cut him and not be out the whole $13 million. He's saying a new deal could benefit both which means a new deal would not include a $20 million signing bonus.

Lots of people seem to be ignoring the fact that a new contract could be beneficial to both sides. But the Vikings seem to be hell-bent on paying Peterson his full salary this year, which really makes no sense. This could have been a perfect opportunity for the Vikings to use their leverage to restructure the deal in their favor, yet they would rather pay Peterson out of spite.

The Vikings and their supporters should be asking themselves: "What would Bill Belichick do?" Do you think Belichick would give Peterson $13 million dollars at age 30? Hell no. He'd either cut Peterson, trade Peterson, or force Peterson to restructure his contract. The fact that the Vikings aren't even attempting to do any of those things is proof that the Vikings are once again behaving like the perennial bottomfeeders that they are.

If Peterson gets injured and/or the Vikings have another losing season, then this entire gamble will have been a total failure.
If Peterson gets injured, then the Vikings are going to be kicking themselves for not guaranteeing him a bunch of money? Really?
I think he was saying that the a new deal could actually save the Vikings money. Instead of $13 million this year, they maybe give him more years but less guaranteed so if he doesn't perform well this year or gets injured, they can cut him and not be out the whole $13 million. He's saying a new deal could benefit both which means a new deal would not include a $20 million signing bonus.
??

I thought the whole reason Peterson was unhappy was because his $ wasn't guaranteed moving forward AND he wanted to play for another team(Cowboys for instance). Why on earth would Peterson agree to be less guaranteed $ and forced to stay on the Vikings longer?

It would be impossible to give Peterson less guaranteed money. He has none now.

First Down: Peterson deserves top spot, Big Ben's deception and sophomore WR sensations

Excerpt:

The Purple Jesus’ resurrection is well underway. After a season-long suspension and lengthy standoff with Minnesota’s front office, Adrian Peterson is not only back in action, he’s extremely motivated to extend his career beyond 2015. Suffice it to say, he’s angry, a frightening prospect for defenses (65.5 career yards-after-contact percentage). It’s no wonder why many in the "expert" realm are pushing owners to invest a No. 1 overall pick in him, even in PPR formats.

Consider me one of them.

This fall could mark the future Hall of Famer’s finest season yet. Critics contend his advanced age (30) and general wear (2,359 career touches) are clear signs he’ll break down. Those concerns are reasonable, but Peterson is a rhinoceros of a runner when healthy, a once-in-a-generation back. Since entering the league in 2007, no running back has averaged more fantasy points per game.

During his illustrious career, the three-time All-Pro finished a season ranked as the top dog among RBs only once, but that feat may soon be duplicated. The Vikings sail into 2015 with sharpened axes. Teddy Bridgewater, who completed a rock solid 64.4 percent of his attempts his rookie year, is a rising star. His effectiveness should only improve with Mike Wallace, Charles Johnson and Kyle Rudolph to throw to. Additionally, the Vikings offensive line, which was the 13th-best in run-blocking last year according to Pro Football Focus, is formidable. And don’t get fixated on his age. Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton and Priest Holmes are just a few geriatric backs who stiff-armed Father Time at the same point in their respective careers.

Most promising, Peterson is expected to be Norv Turner’s engine, functioning as an all-purpose weapon. As the RB recently told the Star Tribune, he will be “more involved in the pass game, being out wide and presenting [himself] for a check-down.” Essentially, he will be an invaluable safety net for a young quarterback. His production could mirror what LaDainian Tomlinson achieved in Norval’s system from 2007-2008 (3,485 total yds, 30 TDs, 112 receptions), meaning he could shatter his previous season high in receptions (43) by some 15-20 catches. His consistency, money motivation and favorable situation are why I moved him ahead of Jamaal Charles. Come year’s end, his net worth could match that of “Jurassic World.”

Purple reign. Purple reign.

It would be impossible to give Peterson less guaranteed money. He has none now.
If he shows up to work he has $13 million dollars guaranteed. The only way he doesn't get that money is if the Vikings cut him and that's what he wants anyway.

Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson expects to be used in more third-down situations.

Peterson was a non-factor in the pass game in 2013, managing 29 catches and grading as a league-average blocker by PFF. The Vikings planned to get him more involved on third downs prior to last year’s suspension. Peterson's targets and snaps should increase under OC Norv Turner. Jerick McKinnon doesn’t project for more than change-of-pace and occasional third-down work behind Peterson.

Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

I have a mid first in one redraft and I am hoping he falls to #7 this year (don't think he will, but I could be wrong). I think he is going to be running with a vengance this year. I am drinking the purple Kool Aid, but it would not surprise me that he leads the league in total yds and TDs. I don't think he will get the 2k rushing, but he could have over 2k total.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Vikings reporter Ben Goessling projects 40-50 receptions for Adrian Peterson this season.

Peterson, mostly a two-down back, has never caught more than 43 passes in a season and averages just 2.0 per game for his career. But Norv Turner's offenses typically utilize running backs as pass-catchers, and Peterson backup Jerick McKinnon is raw in pass protection. The 40-50 reception projection is fair.

Source: ESPN.com
Jul 20 - 8:24 AM

By far the most overpaid player in the NFL. I feel like the organization just took a giant step backwards.
And if he runs for 1800 yards this year?
I care about wins rather than yards. Off field issues aside, Peterson has always been a below average receiver and they are deluding themselves to think he will be good in a Turner style offense. He doesn't offer what Lynch does in terms of versatility. IMO he is now $10 M overpaid.

Scoreboard: Ben Dogra $10 M vs. Vikings organization zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
By far the most overpaid player in the NFL. I feel like the organization just took a giant step backwards.
I care about wins rather than yards. Off field issues aside, Peterson has always been a below average receiver and they are deluding themselves to think he will be good in a Turner style offense. He doesn't offer what Lynch does in terms of versatility. IMO he is now $10 M overpaid. Scoreboard: Ben Dogra $10 M vs. Vikings organization zero.
In what offense has he not been good?

I care about wins rather than yards. Off field issues aside, Peterson has always been a below average receiver and they are deluding themselves to think he will be good in a Turner style offense. He doesn't offer what Lynch does in terms of versatility. IMO he is now $10 M overpaid. Scoreboard: Ben Dogra $10 M vs. Vikings organization zero.
They been pulling him off the field on 3rd downs for his entire career. He has hands like feet.

Donnybrook said:
Hoosier16 said:
Donnybrook said:
TheFanatic said:
Donnybrook said:
They been pulling him off the field on 3rd downs for his entire career. He has hands like feet.
Yeah that guy sucks, only running on 1st and 2nd down.

Donnybrook said:
Hoosier16 said:
Donnybrook said:
TheFanatic said:
Donnybrook said:
you didn't really answer the question. A giant step backwards? You're being a tad dramatic here to put it lightly, they are well under the cap and its not your money. Who gives a crap if they overpay him this year and next?

Donnybrook said:
TheFanatic said:
Donnybrook said:
who are the view going to spend 13m on that gives them a better chance to win this year than ap?

snellman said:
IIRC his 2016 salary is only guaranteed if they pay the option bonus. So, he gets a year to prove he still has it and if he's not worth the money, adios muchachos

ETA: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000502893/article/adrian-peterson-vikings-agree-to-restructure-contract

Rotoworld:

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer says Adrian Peterson has reported to camp in "great" shape.

Despite his lost 2014, it would have been news if one of the league's true athletic freaks reported in anything other than phenomenal shape. Few, if any, NFLers take their conditioning more seriously than AD. It's not a concern as he heads into his age-30 season.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jul 25 - 1:11

Rotoworld:

Adrian Peterson - RB - Vikings

Asked Monday about Adrian Peterson's workload, coach Mike Zimmer replied "He'll get as much as he can take."

"Adrian's going to get the heavy workload," said Zimmer, a defensive-minded coach. "As much as he can take, and as much as he can handle in all the things that we're doing. Obviously, we're going to have to spell him at times like you do a lot of guys. But we get down on the goal line, and we're probably not pulling him out, you know? He's our best player, and we're going to continue to use him." Peterson's age (30) and lost 2014 season may be concerns for his 2015 outlook. His projected workload in an ascending offense is a major plus.

Source: USA Today

Jul 27 - 6:17 PM

I could see a Marcus Allen type end of his career
Wasn't Allen's career prolonged due to his pass catching ability?
Marcus Allen is known as one of the best goal line RB of all time.

He was a complete RB and perhaps not the type of player one might think of as a great goal line RB. But Allen had tremendous vision and understanding of the game which is what made him so effective in this aspect of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread