What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** -- Matheny gone (1 Viewer)

Just got so used to seeing a win every night.
Shame that the clock struck midnight on Reynolds in the 9th - just had to make good contact.
No kidding. With that shift on and the tying run on third with one out, you have to shorten up and put the ball in play to the right side somehow. A push bunt isn't out of the question there either.

Oh well. He was still a net asset over the course of that series. I like him. He brings a power dimension off the bench that the Cards have been lacking in recent seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
13 LOB is no way to go through a pennant race, son.

Good to see Lynn could pitch through pain but his fastballs did not let have their usual late movement. The thought of both Waino and Lynn on the DL makes me sad.

Good to see Lynn could pitch through pain but his fastballs did not let have their usual late movement. The thought of both Waino and Lynn on the DL makes me sad.
Two weeks of a healthy Garcia should ease your pain.

You know that Cardinals' black magic will create an ace from somewhere.

I am glad to see that it was only back cramps, because his delivery definitely looked strange to me last night.
Yadi called the trainer out in the first inning. Usually Lynn throws his fastballs right at the catcher's mitt, then they dive or tail away at the last second. There's so much action on both of them, he rarely throws a slider and doesn't bother with a curve. Last night both ones went straight to the glove. Sometimes he drops his arm a little to ride one in towards a right-handed hitter hanging over the plate.

He was keeping the ball down as usual - he had only given up two HRs all season going into last night - but without the movement he relies on, Morales took him deep twice.

LOL. My Tap Sports Baseball team recently drafted Garcia - no idea who he blew to get a 5-8-6 rating in that game. I fully expect to have to put him on the DL soon even though to the best of my knowledge injuries don't occur in Tap.The guy with Ace stuff is Carlos Martinez - the ball just explodes out of his hand - but he's still a work in progress from the neck up.

I wonder if ATL would take Heyward back for Shelby Miller.

LOL. My Tap Sports Baseball team recently drafted Garcia - no idea who he blew to get a 5-8-6 rating in that game. I fully expect to have to put him on the DL soon even though to the best of my knowledge injuries don't occur in Tap.The guy with Ace stuff is Carlos Martinez - the ball just explodes out of his hand - but he's still a work in progress from the neck up.

It is only 50 innings, but I already have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this.

It is only 50 innings, but I already have a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about this.
To be fair, I was all for that trade when it happened. I figured Heyward is a plus defender in RF who got his swing f'ed up by ATL making him hit leadoff, Walden filled the void left by Neshek's departure as the 8th inning pitcher with weird-### delivery, and Miller seemed to have plateaued. If you can add a six-win outfielder and a cheap, capable setup man for a back-of-rotation starter, you have to do it.

Still hard to figure out Miller. Here is a good article from Fangraphs the other day: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/shelby-miller-the-cutter-and-quality-of-opposition/

His BABIP is .183, he is definitely outperforming his FIP, and all but one of his opposing teams this is below league-average this year.

On the other hand, he has radically changed his pitch mix this year, He's throwing 34% four-seamers this year vs. 61% last year. Replacing those pitches is his two-seamer (10% to 33%) and his cutter (5% to 19%). He's getting 30% of his Ks on the cutter and he has greatly increased his GB%.

I guess the Braves figured this out for him, but we will see if he can sustain it.

Between two runners taking third on balls hit to Holliday and Peralta hitting into that inning-ending, official-game-making-with-rain-coming-down double play, it's been quite a night.

Nice to get a W and avoid the sweep. Even nicer to score a bunch of runs without Holliday in the lineup and with Kozma in it.

Totally support the decision to sit Holliday today. He got hit by pitches Friday and Saturday, and Ventura is capable of tagging any hitter in the league in the back of the head with a 98 MPH four seamer. No heroism in keeping an HBP streak alive.

Best play of the day had to be Peralta's single in the first. Tried to check his swing, couldn't get the bat back out in time... and pretty much bunted one into center field to drive in a run and put Ventura on tilt.

Looks like we're about to get a full dose of the wild ride that is Mark Reynolds. Adams likely DL bound after sustaining that quad injury while running to second last night.

Nice ode to Holliday in Grantland today. One of the few $100MM contracts in baseball history where the player is still earning his salary at the end of the deal.

Showed that Holliday is losing power, but not at the expense of OBP. Some balls he used to pull into the gap for doubles and homers are singles to right now.

Looks like we're about to get a full dose of the wild ride that is Mark Reynolds. Adams likely DL bound after sustaining that quad injury while running to second last night.
Yuck. Organization is good at finding/developing pitchers and middle infielders, but there are no 1B bats on the farm at all. Can't imagine this is when Piscotty gets a cameo in the show, either.

So... A couple weeks of Xavier Scruggs on the bench?

Man, what a win last night. Still can't believe they turned that double play.

And that ejection of Holliday was just pure horse####. Unreal.

While I am totally on board with calling Joe West out for being a terrible umpire, you aren't going to be able to get as demonstrative as Holliday got last night and get away with it. Doesn't really matter what he said.

You guys are in sooooo much trouble. I'm now fully invested in the Cards(Lackey, Rosenthal, and Garcia)

Figured it's a no lose.

Nice catch by Bourjos for the last out.

What's with these 1-2-3 innings from Rosenthal?
No kidding. The change to pitching from the stretch seems to have made a huge difference. I actually feel good about him coming in now.

Man, big win tonight. Same with two nights ago. They just never quit.

Record doesn't show it, but Garcia has been huge for the whole staff imo. I was starting to get worried about the workload and whether they would be forced into an acquisition, but he seems to have calmed the waters for now. If Gonzalez can get all the way back before Jamie's next injury, they might just be OK.

Next one down....Holliday.

Can only take so many of these injuries before the losses start to pile up. I think we'll be lucky if he's only gone a month.

This is getting crazy - I'd give the reins to one of the young guys to see what they could do with the lead in the standings they have vs losing the power and going Bourjos. And maybe platoon Grichuck while one of the youngsters is there and see if he can respond to become a better day to day player.

So, 39-21 if they play .500 ball from here forward, they get to 90 wins and at least a wildcard. 39-21 is pretty impressive considering they lost their ace, 1B, and now Holliday. Matheny is doing something right.

So, 39-21 if they play .500 ball from here forward, they get to 90 wins and at least a wildcard. 39-21 is pretty impressive considering they lost their ace, 1B, and now Holliday. Matheny is doing something right.
Gotta be a deal with the devil
Were you celebrating the Holliday injury too or were you still hung over from the Wainwright/Adams benders?
What are you talking about?

Gotta be a deal with the devil
Were you celebrating the Holliday injury too or were you still hung over from the Wainwright/Adams benders?
What are you talking about?
I may be heckling the wrong brother.

Upon further review, it was your artsy fartsy brother that was all smiles when Wainwright went down. Your only crime was chiming in with some Jack Buck blasphemy when coming to his defense.

You boys....

Upon further review, it was your artsy fartsy brother that was all smiles when Wainwright went down. Your only crime was chiming in with some Jack Buck blasphemy when coming to his defense.

You boys....
whoa whoa whoa, I wasnt happy Wainwright got hurt. Can't remember what I said, but I think I said it wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread