Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Rodgers is playing the QB position better than anyone... ever

Just goes to show you why it is often stupid to judge QBs too much on postseason wins and losses (which is a team stat, not to mention the postseason is a small sample size). Rodgers makes one of the greatest throws you'll ever see in the postseason...in a loss.

Rodgers is 3-5 in the playoffs since winning the Superbowl.

Wins(# is points scored):

Home vs Minnesota(Joe Webb was the QB) 24

Home vs Dallas (Dez "no catch" play) 26

at Washington(Cousins and that sorry D) 35

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

Blame everyone else, but not scoring many points in the playoffs falls on 1 guy.

First off, sounds like you have an axe to grind, which is why you put qualifiers next to each win, while putting none next to his losses (like the blown onside kick against Seattle last year, costing him a win and a Super Bowl appearance and possible win).

Secondly, it doesn't fall on one guy. I said that earlier, and you saying that merely proves my point. Doing what Rodgers did last night, without who were supposed to be his top three WRs coming into the season, was all-time great.

Thirdly, averaging 26 points a loss (using ALL six losses he has played in) just shows how unlucky he has been. Two of his six playoff losses were when he never got the ball in OT after leading game-typing drives at the end of regulation, a third was an OT loss in which he had scored 45 points, and a fourth saw him score 31.

His greatness is more than obvious to anyone who a) has two eyes, and b) has any kind of objectivity.

I see how you inserted words I didn't say (I think Rodgers is a very good QB) and moved the needle(6 playoff losses).

If you think Rodgers has played as expected in the playoffs the last 5 years, not sure what to tell ya.

In those eight games:

-14 touchdowns and 5 INTs

-passer rating of 90 or higher in five of the eight

-offense has averaged 25 points per game

I suppose you will say that it is Rodgers' fault that he lost two games where he never saw the ball in OT or that it is his fault he lost a game where he scored 31 points, but his defense let a QB run for almost 200 yards, right?

If Rodgers had a season with 28 TD and 10 INT would it be as expected?

Can you see past your team bias here? I'm not saying Rodgers is bad(this is the 2nd i've stated this), but rather I expected the offense to score more points. This has nothing to do with onside kicks, defense, OT, etc.

It's pretty close to this year's TD/INT numbers, especially when you consider that he doesn't get to play Detroit x2, Oakland, etc in the playoffs.

He was better last night against Arizona than he was in the regular season against Arizona.

I think gb has max protected him more (smart) late in the year and given him more time.

My whole point was to counter the post of taking all the blame off of Rodgers. The offense has sputtered more often than not in the playoffs the last 5 years and I thought he would perform better.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like the packers are (•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) In Jeopardy   

Aaron would at least give you credit for putting it in the form of a question.

It gets even better Cobb said the final play was not an actual playcall. Rodgers just told each receiver what to do, like a kid drawing in the dirt. Seriously.

Just goes to show you why it is often stupid to judge QBs too much on postseason wins and losses (which is a team stat, not to mention the postseason is a small sample size). Rodgers makes one of the greatest throws you'll ever see in the postseason...in a loss.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

Blame everyone else, but not scoring many points in the playoffs falls on 1 guy.

No, it really doesn't fall on one guy.

And realize he was throwing to wrs that were 5th on the depth chart starting out...and had how many catches all year long?

5 years>2 games

Does this get offset when we look at the Driver/Jordy/Cobb/Jennings/Adams(Dallas Game last year) he's been surrounded with? More often than not Rodgers has had better weapons than most any other playoff QB.

They won the Dallas game last year.

They have not always had the best overall weapons...nor the better defense most years either. Nor have they had great protection all the time up front.

Look, he was not great yesterday..made some mistakes then and this year that he typically has not made. Was not the best year for him at all.

But claiming its on one guy is just ignorant crap.

I shouldn't expect more from the QB in the "Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone...ever" thread? Wow

So give him credit when things are great...blame OT/onside kicks/defense/weapons/fumbles for the playoffs? Gottcha

Maybe you should look to the date of the OP and when he was playing that way.

This year has not been the year that he has played better than anyone. I have criticized his play...criticized his INTs last night as well as his play in last year's NFC title game too.

I give him blame for what is in his control...blaming it all on him is dumb (which is what I said).

I knew the date

Isn't everything a team stat then? Adams catch and run vs Dallas, janis coming down with a prayer, great play call, great block, great catch, etc. It's all a combination. However, qbs make the decisions. I don't think the gb offense has played very good in the postseason the last 5 years for many reasons. But many don't place blame on Rodgers, instead excuses for him.(you have put some blame on him).

Rodgers has many great traits:manipulates the pocket, draws defense offsides, 12 defenders on the field free plays, efficient, low turnovers, buys time, etc

But maybe he's not as great for playoff football. Rodgers doesn't take many chances unless it's a free play or a hail mary. Think of the throw to James Jones on 4th down. Why was it so low? Who cares if it's a pick at that point? I think this is also why Rodgers hasn't been very good leading comebacks against winning teams in his career.

I know criticism of Rodgers isn't normally takenot well. But as perfect as everyone makes the guy out to be, he doesn't produce as many points and playoff wins as he should.

Think of Montana or Brady have either of them had 5 straight post seasons without making it to a super bowl?

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

And realize he was throwing to wrs that were 5th on the depth chart starting out...and had how many catches all year long?

5 years>2 games

Does this get offset when we look at the Driver/Jordy/Cobb/Jennings/Adams(Dallas Game last year) he's been surrounded with? More often than not Rodgers has had better weapons than most any other playoff QB.

They have not always had the best overall weapons...nor the better defense most years either. Nor have they had great protection all the time up front.

Look, he was not great yesterday..made some mistakes then and this year that he typically has not made. Was not the best year for him at all.

I shouldn't expect more from the QB in the "Rodgers is playing QB better than anyone...ever" thread? Wow

So give him credit when things are great...blame OT/onside kicks/defense/weapons/fumbles for the playoffs? Gottcha

This year has not been the year that he has played better than anyone. I have criticized his play...criticized his INTs last night as well as his play in last year's NFC title game too.

I give him blame for what is in his control...blaming it all on him is dumb (which is what I said).

I knew the date

Isn't everything a team stat then? Adams catch and run vs Dallas, janis coming down with a prayer, great play call, great block, great catch, etc. It's all a combination. However, qbs make the decisions. I don't think the gb offense has played very good in the postseason the last 5 years for many reasons. But many don't place blame on Rodgers, instead excuses for him.(you have put some blame on him).

Rodgers has many great traits:manipulates the pocket, draws defense offsides, 12 defenders on the field free plays, efficient, low turnovers, buys time, etc

But maybe he's not as great for playoff football. Rodgers doesn't take many chances unless it's a free play or a hail mary. Think of the throw to James Jones on 4th down. Why was it so low? Who cares if it's a pick at that point? I think this is also why Rodgers hasn't been very good leading comebacks against winning teams in his career.

I know criticism of Rodgers isn't normally takenot well. But as perfect as everyone makes the guy out to be, he doesn't produce as many points and playoff wins as he should.

Think of Montana or Brady have either of them had 5 straight post seasons without making it to a super bowl?

Montana went one-and-done in three straight seasons (1985-1987), with zero TDs and 5 INTs in that time span. Tom Brady made one Super Bowl between 2004 and 2011, losing that one (and the one in 2011), and going one-and-done twice.

Average points scored 28

Losses:

Home vs NYG 20

at 49ers 31

Home vs 49ers 20

at Seattle 22

at Arizona 20

Average points scored 22

5 years>2 games

I knew the date

Montana went one-and-done in three straight seasons (1985-1987), with zero TDs and 5 INTs in that time span. Tom Brady made one Super Bowl between 2004 and 2011, losing that one (and the one in 2011), and going one-and-done twice.

So, to answer the 5 post seasons without making the SB, you show that not only is that true, he "only" made it to 3 SB in 8 years. :lmao:

Rodgers is great, but while some stretches of his body of work might be as good as we've ever seen, he showed this year that a fair amount of his production was reliant on Jordy and a healthy Cobb.

So, to answer the 5 post seasons without making the SB, you show that not only is that true, he "only" made it to 3 SB in 8 years. :lmao:

Rodgers is great, but while some stretches of his body of work might be as good as we've ever seen, he showed this year that a fair amount of his production was reliant on Jordy and a healthy Cobb.

Are you saying a fair amount of production was reliant on WR's doing their job? Like any QB?

Edited by MaxThreshold

Are you saying a fair amount of production was reliant on WR's doing their job? Like any QB?

I'm saying that a fair amount of his production was based on top end WR doing their job better than 90 % of the league. Having great WRs make a QB look better than they might otherwise look with lesser talent.

I don't get to see a huge number of GB games, but what I notice from my limited viewing is Rodgers has a pretty significant amount of production from essentially broken plays, where he breaks from the pocket and is athletic enough to make a play on the run. It's a skill that only a handful of QBs have, and he's as good as any keeping his eyes downfield while escaping the pocket. Nelson may be the best WR in identifying his QB scrambling and breaking off his route and working into a helpful position. I think that is one of the biggest missing parts of GBs offense this year.

Multiple endpoints. He only made one SB in 6 years.

And frankly, Rodgers has been massively better than Brady in the post-season. Brady has thrown 3 INTs three times; Rodgers never has. All of Rodgers' postseason rate stats are way higher than Brady's. If you're going to give Brady credit for "getting to the Super Bowl" in 2007 by throwing 3 INTs with a passer rating of 66.4 in the AFC Championship Game, I suppose you can say his stretch from 2005-2010 was better than Rodgers', but that doesn't really make any sense. Or throwing 2 INTs and no TDs with a passer rating of 57.5 in the AFC Championship Game in the 2011 season. Basically, in six AFCCG's Brady's had four bad games.

And frankly, Rodgers has been massively better than Brady in the post-season. Brady has thrown 3 INTs three times; Rodgers never has. All of Rodgers' postseason rate stats are way higher than Brady's. If you're going to give Brady credit for "getting to the Super Bowl" in 2007 by throwing 3 INTs with a passer rating of 66.4 in the AFC Championship Game, I suppose you can say his stretch from 2005-2010 was better than Rodgers', but that doesn't really make any sense. Or throwing 2 INTs and no TDs with a passer rating of 57.5 in the AFC Championship Game in the 2011 season. Basically, in six AFCCG's Brady's had four bad games.

So again, still doesn't change the never gone a 5 year period of not making it to the super bowl? Solid argument.

Is this where we pretend that Bill Belichick vs Mike McCarthy is a fair fight? Bill Belichick got to 11-5 with Matt Cassel, FFS.

Honestly, no. A silly stat was put out in defense of another silly stat ( Brady only making 1 SB in 6 years - bookended by SB appearances vs. Rodgers not making a SB for 5 years ).

My discussion point is that Rodgers has been great and played as well as we've seen QB play, but with a lot of offensive talent to work with. This year was one of his first without that talent, and his quality of play fell off with his associated talent.

So again, still doesn't change the never gone a 5 year period of not making it to the super bowl? Solid argument.

That's not even an argument. It's a cherry-picked factoid that has nothing to do with how good a QB any of the people involved is.

Is this where we pretend that Bill Belichick vs Mike McCarthy is a fair fight? Bill Belichick got to 11-5 with Matt Cassel, FFS.

Honestly, no. A silly stat was put out in defense of another silly stat ( Brady only making 1 SB in 6 years - bookended by SB appearances vs. Rodgers not making a SB for 5 years ).

My discussion point is that Rodgers has been great and played as well as we've seen QB play, but with a lot of offensive talent to work with. This year was one of his first without that talent, and his quality of play fell off with his associated talent.

Offensive talent like Greg Jennings? (Best season outside of Green Bay: 804 yards) Or James Jones? (666 yards) The running backs? Seriously, Eddy Lacy and James Starks and Brandon Jackson and Ryan Grant? Jermichael "Bump" Finley? That's a whole lot of "just a guys".

I think the only offensive player Rodgers has played with who could make an impact on another team is Jordy Nelson, and yes, Rodgers missed Nelson this year (though his struggles were more about o-line than receivers). And even so, Nelson isn't anywhere near the level of Rice and Moss.

Exactly, and even in a down year for him, Rodgers still put up really good numbers.

Heck, look at James Jones. He went from being cut by several teams who needed WRs, and being on the verge of being out of the league, to going back to GB and putting up 50-890-8.

Sure, Jordy makes him better, but find me a QB who doesn't put up better numbers with a stud pass catcher. Brady is far better with Gronk; Rodgers is far better with Nelson. Is Carson Palmer magically so much better now than he used to be? Nope, he just has a trio of killer WRs now.

Brady won superbowls with wr corps as bad. Sure he had Belichick. But Belichick had Brady too.

Perhaps Belichick setup the atmosphere for this to happen. But I think Brady has more to do with the winning then Belichick.

It's the QB that makes this happen. Why old ### Favre nearly went to the Super Bowl in Minn.

Offensive talent like Greg Jennings? (Best season outside of Green Bay: 804 yards) Or James Jones? (666 yards) The running backs? Seriously, Eddy Lacy and James Starks and Brandon Jackson and Ryan Grant? Jermichael "Bump" Finley? That's a whole lot of "just a guys".

I think the only offensive player Rodgers has played with who could make an impact on another team is Jordy Nelson, and yes, Rodgers missed Nelson this year (though his struggles were more about o-line than receivers). And even so, Nelson isn't anywhere near the level of Rice and Moss.

Did you watch Jennings play in GB? Remember Donald Driver? Jermichael Finley?

YPA is better when you are not facing Seattle or Arizona or San Fran's D every game (with what...4 of those in the road)? That's shocking.

So what? We need to throw the ball to beat the best teams. That's the job. That's the game.
I agree with you.

But compare most qbs yoa, they will be less playoffs (vs great defenses like that) and regular season.

Its not about 1 guy as mills has been claiming. He also ignores last year he was hobbling around on that ankle.

Edited by sho nuff

I have a hard time putting him ahead of Montana......but it's close. I hate the Pack but it's hard not to like Rodgers.

I don't put him ahead of Montana or Brady a all. Few others still in front of him...but his career isn't over.

At the time of the thread though, he was playing at a ridiculously high level.

Did you watch Jennings play in GB? Remember Donald Driver? Jermichael Finley?

I loved Donald Driver but he was clearly a workingman's WR who got good numbers only because he had great QB play. I felt the same way about Jennings. Neither of them were difference-makers at WR. Jermichael Finley was a poor man's Vernon Davis; he had exactly one season with more than 5 TDs.

I have a hard time putting him ahead of Montana......but it's close. I hate the Pack but it's hard not to like Rodgers.

I don't put him ahead of Montana or Brady a all. Few others still in front of him...but his career isn't over.

Good point on Brady. I think I put Rodgers right there with him as I view Brady's teams as being better overall. And Gronk. Almost like Montana having Rice.

Good point on Brady. I think I put Rodgers right there with him as I view Brady's teams as being better overall. And Gronk. Almost like Montana having Rice.

And while I am a McCarthy supporter, he is no Walsh or Belichick.

Jason Wilde was on local ESPN radio this evening talking about an inside source that confirmed Rodgers was indeed playing with an injury this year. He did not specify what or when it happened. I'm sure more will get leaked out with time.

Jason Wilde was on local ESPN radio this evening talking about an inside source that confirmed Rodgers was indeed playing with an injury this year. He did not specify what or when it happened. I'm sure more will get leaked out with time.

Interesting...had a shoulder ailment at one point.

But nothing seemed overly messed up...wonder if it was just something of discomfort.

Does not explain why all the backfoot attempts that didn't work...or having the strength still to heave those deep balls.

But nothing seemed overly messed up...wonder if it was just something of discomfort.

Does not explain why all the backfoot attempts that didn't work...or having the strength still to heave those deep balls.

I know some are going to flip out, but somebody needs to mention the elephant in the room. Rodgers admitted he had his guys over inflating the footballs in previous years and they weren't able to do that this year. With less air in the ball he obviously couldn't throw it as fast or as far as before and subsequently his comp % drops 5 points from his career average :whistle:

Am I convinced this is what happened? No, not at all, but isn't it possible that less air might have at least contributed to some of his problems this year? If you disagree tell me how you can completely rule out the possibility?

Edited by NE_REVIVAL

I know some are going to flip out, but somebody needs to mention the elephant in the room. Rodgers admitted he had his guys over inflating the footballs in previous years and they weren't able to do that this year. With less air in the ball he obviously couldn't throw it as fast or as far as before and subsequently his comp % drops 5 points from his career average :whistle:

Am I convinced this is what happened? No, not at all, but isn't it possible that less air might have at least contributed to some of his problems this year? If you disagree tell me how you can completely rule out the possibility?

Makes perfect sense since Rodgers admitted he likes the football over inflated. We can't completely rule this out? Unless you hate the patriots of course..

Aaron Rodgers had surgery shortly after season (cleanup of knee)

http://espn.go.com/n...or-knee-surgery

Aaron Rodgers knee procedure described as minor scope
10:50 PM ET
  • Jason Wilde and Rob Demovsky

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Aaron Rodgers had a legitimate reason for pulling out of the Pro Bowl.

The Green Bay Packers quarterback underwent knee surgery within days of the team's playoff loss to the Arizona Cardinals, according to two sources.

One source described the surgery as a minor scope.

It's unclear when Rodgers' knee became an issue this past season, but he was hit on his left knee by Detroit Lions defensive end Ezekiel Ansah on Nov. 15. After the game Rodgers described the hit as "a little low" and said he was sore. The following week, the Packers listed Rodgers on the injury report, but for his shoulder, not the knee.

It was the only week that Rodgers was listed with any kind of injury. He played in all but 10 of the Packers' offensive snaps this past season and did not miss any practice time because of the knee.

The injury, however, could help explain, at least in part, why Rodgers' production dropped in 2015. He set career lows for completion percentage (60.7), passing yards per game (238.8) and yards per attempt (6.7).

One source described the scope as a "clean-up of an old injury."

Rodgers had reconstructive surgery on his left knee in January 2004, after his first season at the University of California. Doctors repaired a torn ACL that Rodgers said he suffered years earlier while playing basketball in high school. He returned for the start of his second and final season at Cal.

Barring a setback in his recovery, Rodgers likely will be ready to participate when the Packers begin their offseason program in April.

Dude, get over it already. Let it go and move on with life. I'm saying this with your best interests in mind.

Rodgers YPA in the regular season is 8.

In the last 5 playoff losses: 5.93, 5.24, 6.81, 6.59, 5.74.

Saturday's 5.74 was at 3.8 before the two bombs to Janis.

And that's the difference between Rodgers and Brady. Rodgers usually has to win the games in the playoffs himself. If he doesn't, they lose (the major exception being the 2010 AFCCG against the Bears). The Patriots have won countless playoff games where Brady didn't play particularly well.

When throwing for under 7ypa in the playoffs Brady's teams are 12-6. Under the same scenario, Rodgers' teams are 2-5.

Heck, Brady has won a game where he threw for 4.9ypa, and Rodgers has lost one where he threw for 10.1ypa (with a QB rating of 121).

Edited by FreeBaGeL
  • Like 1

I have a local source who says Rodgers isn't injured; this is just an effort to distract from his relatively below average season (for him) and get fans and others off his back.

Was knee surgery part of the effort as well?

I have a local source who says Rodgers isn't injured; this is just an effort to distract from his relatively below average season (for him) and get fans and others off his back.

Was knee surgery part of the effort as well?
:shrug: sounds like he was wrong.

Then again, Rodgers wasn't on the injury list with a knee this year. How bad could it have been?

Who knows. He may have had other indisclosed iniuries as well. Either way I think he will spike again next season.

True...whatever the reason, it is seemingly the outlier season for him as far as accuracy...so no reason to worry to much that he won't rebound next year.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Packers coach Mike McCarthy believes Aaron Rodgers is in the best shape of his career.

"Aaron's vibe, and really his offseason participation and performance, looks to line up for a great year," McCarthy said. "I would say this is the best shape I've seen him in." Rodgers had arthroscopic knee surgery in January, but has appeared in all 16 games three of the past four years. His health and conditioning aren't concerns as he looks to rebound from his worst season as a starter.

Source: ESPN.com

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are three QB's in history with a TD% over 5 and INT% under 2: Rodgers, Wilson, and Brady.  Rodgers has the highest QB rating of the three.

Rodgers already has more than double Brady's rushing yards and 5 more rushing TD's.

Edited by cstu