What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (6 Viewers)

What if he rushes for 1000 yards?

I agree, I can see them cuttin hyde if Chubb shows he can be the guy, but Chubb has a reasonable contract. they dont need to cut Hyde. especially if Hyde has a good season. with how cheap Chubbs contract is, Hyde could play his entire deal out in Cleveland.

Also, they are relatively young. I dont see them in a salary cap hell in 2019. 
They are projected to have the most cap space in NFL for 2019.

He just fell to 1.11 in one of my leagues. Couldn’t believe it but I couldn’t get a trade done to move up.
In dynasty that's crazy - while I wouldnt say Hyde is gone for sure next year I would guess that if he is still around he'd likely be in more of a backup role to Chubb.

Chubb is surely a talent - I'll pass in redraft most likely but as I said in a dynasty rookie draft he should start to be considered as soon as 1.02 and should be gone by no later than 1.06. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He just fell to 1.11 in one of my leagues. Couldn’t believe it but I couldn’t get a trade done to move up.
Dropped to my 1.11 pick in one of my dynasty leagues (12 team) also. It's a 2 QB league though so not quite as dramatic (though I was still surprised). I also happened to own Hyde in that league.

ESPN's Pat McManamon writes it "would not be surprising" if second-rounder Nick Chubb wins "the bulk" of the early-down carries.

Duke Johnson will keep his role on passing downs, but Chubb and free-agent addition Carlos Hyde will battle it out for early-down carries. A committee approach seems the most likely outcome, especially early in the season, but McManamon gives Chubb a chance to win the job outright in camp. If he does, his eighth-round ADP will be a value.

Source: ESPN 

Jun 26 - 10:14 AM

Wish Chubb went pretty much anywhere but Cleveland. I really like the kid. I just can’t take him in redraft with Hyde there. Hyde is no slouch and I expect him to have a decent season. Hopefully Hyde is gone next year then I will reevaluate. 

I'm sitting at 1.03 in a couple leagues, and I really feel the "want" to draft Chubb there, but being ppr and him not a great pass catcher, I'm wondering if trading down is best.  That's the only question/concern I have on Chubb, otherwise I'd be super thrilled.  Especially with Duke there it's almost a requirement to take Penny at 3 no?  

I'm sitting at 1.03 in a couple leagues, and I really feel the "want" to draft Chubb there, but being ppr and him not a great pass catcher, I'm wondering if trading down is best.  That's the only question/concern I have on Chubb, otherwise I'd be super thrilled.  Especially with Duke there it's almost a requirement to take Penny at 3 no?  
In two 16 team/PPR rookie drafts that started this week...Chubb was the 8th offensive player chosen in one and 6th in the other

they both went...Barkley, Guice, Penny 1-3

It certainly feels that way. But Chris Carson is a better player than Duke, IMO. And the Cleveland OL is better than Seattle's. But Seattle's offense as a whole is better and Penny was drafted earlier (if only 8 spots). 

Personally, I don't feel great about Penny and like Chubb as an overall talent better. I'd be feverishly seeking a way to trade back if I was you. And if it doesn't work, I'd take the guy I'd rather own for 10 years.

It certainly feels that way. But Chris Carson is a better player than Duke, IMO. And the Cleveland OL is better than Seattle's. But Seattle's offense as a whole is better and Penny was drafted earlier (if only 8 spots). 

Personally, I don't feel great about Penny and like Chubb as an overall talent better. I'd be feverishly seeking a way to trade back if I was you. And if it doesn't work, I'd take the guy I'd rather own for 10 years.
If I hold 1.3 and I'm playing PPR I'm taking Michel or Chubb. Penny is actually my RB 7 or 8 in this class. 

Chubb went 1.6 in my league FWIW

I agree, I would try to trade back. can land Rojo or another good RB if Michel and Chubb are both taken. Or could even grab Penny if you really do like him. Carson is much better than people think 

Waldman goes over a few ways that Tyrod Taylor will benefit Cleveland's run game.

Go to the link for the full read and video illustrations/examples of each point.

Matt Waldman’s RSP NFL Lens: Tyrod Taylor’s Impact on the Browns’ Ground Game

by MATT WALDMAN21 HOURS AGO

Here are two ways Taylor can enhance Cleveland’s ground game. These are plays the Browns ran last year and will likely remain in Todd Haley’s playbook in 2018.

Haley uses a lot of gap plays and he likes the counter, which has some misdirection embedded into the play design. Taylor’s legs give Haley an opportunity to enhance that potential misdirection with a play-action boot with the option to run or pass.

...another reason that Buffalo was one of the league’s best ground attacks was the triple option scheme it employed with Taylor as a legitimate threat. When an offense can play the numbers game with the inclusion of its quarterback, opposing defenses cannot consistently be the dictator at the line of scrimmage.
Todd Haley, Browns new OC and he has used a lot of misdirection in his running attack.

Haley has a mobile QB in Tyrod Taylor whose legs allow some Run Pass Options which aren't used a lot but he will sprinkle in RPOs.

Waldman gives his take and you can see how this could open up the running game to benefit Chubb and the rest of the Browns backfield.

I think you mean, "Hyde and the rest of the Browns backfield."
Chubb is an athletic freak even after the injury. Hes bigger, faster, stronger, quicker and has better vision. And he can't be a worse reciever than Hyde. The browns are looking to win not make a rookie sit for the year just to make him earn it. Duke Johnson bothers me but Hyde isn't a threat at all imo. 

Chubb is an athletic freak even after the injury. Hes bigger, faster, stronger, quicker and has better vision. And he can't be a worse reciever than Hyde. The browns are looking to win not make a rookie sit for the year just to make him earn it. Duke Johnson bothers me but Hyde isn't a threat at all imo. 
We'll, the latest coach speak out of Cleveland is that they'll "ride the hot hand", and Hyde has proven effective when healthy and is currently #1 on the depth chart.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

You really don’t think Hyde is a threat? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me as to why they brought him in but now that they have him I find it hard to believe they won’t use him. As I said before, it’s not like he’s a bum just named the starter by default. And he’s young. Chubb is obviously the future but I just don’t see him getting the playing time this year to make him viable in redraft. 

You really don’t think Hyde is a threat? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me as to why they brought him in but now that they have him I find it hard to believe they won’t use him. As I said before, it’s not like he’s a bum just named the starter by default. And he’s young. Chubb is obviously the future but I just don’t see him getting the playing time this year to make him viable in redraft. 
:goodposting:

Very few people are talking about redraft this time of year. But they signed Hyde long before the draft and had a ton of cap space. People need to get over thinking about how much each is paid, the best player will be on the field and I can’t see anything Hyde does better. I mean he was pretty much given the back seat at the end of last year to Breida and the 49ers made no attempt to keep him. I liked Hyde coming out but his vision is poor, he’s a really bad pass catcher and he was never in Chubb’s class. It’s a bit like AP going to the Vikings who had a solid back on Chester Taylor. Sure it’ll slow him down the first month or 2 but the Browns didn’t spend an early pick on a rb to let him learn from the bench for a few years.

Very few people are talking about redraft this time of year. But they signed Hyde long before the draft and had a ton of cap space. People need to get over thinking about how much each is paid, the best player will be on the field and I can’t see anything Hyde does better. I mean he was pretty much given the back seat at the end of last year to Breida and the 49ers made no attempt to keep him. I liked Hyde coming out but his vision is poor, he’s a really bad pass catcher and he was never in Chubb’s class. It’s a bit like AP going to the Vikings who had a solid back on Chester Taylor. Sure it’ll slow him down the first month or 2 but the Browns didn’t spend an early pick on a rb to let him learn from the bench for a few years.
Nice situational call with Chester and AP. Also, Murray and Cook more recently. Murray is/was competent enough as a short-term lead back. 

I agree that Chubb will inevitably take over early down duties from Hyde, but the specter of Duke Johnson will cap either guy's fantasy upside. They didn't give Duke a nice extension to play on special teams.

I agree that Chubb will inevitably take over early down duties from Hyde, but the specter of Duke Johnson will cap either guy's fantasy upside. They didn't give Duke a nice extension to play on special teams.
As someone who drafted Duke in numerous devy leagues in his time at Miami, and drafted him in nearly every league in the 1.11-2.2 range as a rookie, I’m still a Duke fan and loves what he brings to the field, but his presence as a pass catcher doesn’t stop Chubb from being a value at 1.3 or better in rookie drafts. He’s the 1.1 in most classes in my book, including last year’s crew with Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey. Seeing him drop to 1.5-1.8 in various leagues has been the head scratcher of this year’s rookie class, again my opinion I understand that. I see one prolific talent when I watch him. 

As someone who drafted Duke in numerous devy leagues in his time at Miami, and drafted him in nearly every league in the 1.11-2.2 range as a rookie, I’m still a Duke fan and loves what he brings to the field, but his presence as a pass catcher doesn’t stop Chubb from being a value at 1.3 or better in rookie drafts. He’s the 1.1 in most classes in my book, including last year’s crew with Fournette, Mixon, McCaffrey. Seeing him drop to 1.5-1.8 in various leagues has been the head scratcher of this year’s rookie class, again my opinion I understand that. I see one prolific talent when I watch him. 
Totally agree on the talent, but hard to get past the situation. If Chubb is not going to be on the field much in passing situations, that obviously takes away a lot of fantasy opportunities. Can't expect the Browns to playing ball control on a regular basis.

Thanks @Bracie Smathers for posting the link in the overall training camp thread.

5 Browns who have shined through 5 days of training camp

RB Nick Chubb: Nicknamed “Old School” by teammate Duke Johnson, Chubb has lived up to that moniker in practice, turning heads with a physical, no-frills running style that’ll surely endear himself to fans in Cleveland.

“He’s a football player and a really good football player,” Jackson said. “There’s a lot to him more so than what people think because he just looks like the guy that comes downhill and here we go, but he has some versatility to him, as well. There are some instincts, real runner’s instincts that I see. I think that he’s a talented runner.”

Definitely warming up to him as the 1.3 after Barkley and guice.  I would need potency but I think he can be an absolute beast.  

Browns RB Nick Chubb rushed 15 times for 11 yards while catching one pass for 12 yards in Thursday's preseason opener versus the Giants

Chubb's longest rush of the night was just four yards, but his low-yardage total was largely not his fault. The Browns backup line was dominated in the run game as Chubb frequently was hit in the backfield on the majority of his carries, forcing him to break tackles and fight back to the line of scrimmage on his attempts. Chubb however appears to be well behind Carlos Hyde for the early-down role in the offense as Hyde played just three snaps in the game before being put on ice. Chubb will look for more room to run next week against the Bills.

Aug 9 - 9:56 PM

Taken from DLF Forum and I agree:

Just watching the first drive with Baker. He was contacted at or behind the LOS both times and despite gaining only 3 yards, they were all him pushing the pile. He just picked up a blitz perfectly on the outside. Next carry he got about 4 with another yard being pushing the pile. Just picked up another blitz on the same side. Totally took the guy out of the play. Pass blocking seems great, OL not opening anything.
http://forum.dynastyleaguefootball.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=168051&start=60

Hope he doesn't do a god darned thing in the preseason, I have two drafts coming up.  

Check his catch out of the backfield, the way he compactly jukes guys, then runs others over for extra yards.  He's the prototype.  

Rich Hribar✔@LordReebs

Nick Chubb is someone who you can throw the box score out on last night. He truly had no chance at all. PFF actually credited him 26 yards yards after contact despite only rushing for 11 yards total.

10:00 AM - 10 Aug 2018

Rich Hribar✔@LordReebs

Nick Chubb is someone who you can throw the box score out on last night. He truly had no chance at all. PFF actually credited him 26 yards yards after contact despite only rushing for 11 yards total.

OOF.......that is not a good sign for the Browns in general but gives hope that Chubb is the real deal if the O-line can right the ship.

Rich Hribar✔@LordReebs

Damn.

Paying a top 3-4 rookie pick (1.2 even worse) was a big mistake for most that did.  He won't help your team this year and you will be able to acquire him cheaper in the off-season next year (my guess is owners will be able to acquire him for a mid/late 1st.)  

Paying a top 3-4 rookie pick (1.2 even worse) was a big mistake for most that did.  He won't help your team this year and you will be able to acquire him cheaper in the off-season next year (my guess is owners will be able to acquire him for a mid/late 1st.)  
Highly doubt the bolded, unless he looks bad this season.  Unlikely Hyde returns in 2019, with Chubb entering the 2019 offseason looking likely at feature back workload in a rising offense.  His price won’t be cheaper next offseason, unless of course he flops in his opportunities this year.  If you think he’ll suck and look bad this year, then of course his value is likely to depress.  I’m doubting any Chubb owner parts with him for a late 1st next year unless he tears his ACL again.

I got him at 8, but would have taken him at 4. I'm not expecting much this year, so my valuation of him won't change if he is stuck behind Hyde for a year. He's a long term pick.

Highly doubt the bolded, unless he looks bad this season.  Unlikely Hyde returns in 2019, with Chubb entering the 2019 offseason looking likely at feature back workload in a rising offense.  His price won’t be cheaper next offseason, unless of course he flops in his opportunities this year.  If you think he’ll suck and look bad this year, then of course his value is likely to depress.  I’m doubting any Chubb owner parts with him for a late 1st next year unless he tears his ACL again.
There will be some leagues with stubborn (maybe rightfully so) Chubb owners, but many leagues will have a disappointed owner who likes a shiny new object at 1.7 - 1.12 in a rookie draft and will trade him for the pick.  Happens frequently enough, that "highly doubting" is highly suspect.

Yeah, after they dump Hyde next year I'm sure his value will plummet. 
100%. If we’re talking re-evaluation on the micro scale his value is at its lowest right now after his showing if people are looking solely at the numbers. There is no way he is less valuable next year when he has the backfield to himself. Current owners will hold onto him with an iron grip if he has a bad year because you don’t sell at your low point - you get equal parts frustrated/excited because now is your chance to reap the reward. 

I got him at 8, but would have taken him at 4. I'm not expecting much this year, so my valuation of him won't change if he is stuck behind Hyde for a year. He's a long term pick.
:thumbup:   And Browns' OL needs time to jell after losing their veteran Joe Thomas.  And not to mention my belief on Browns as one of deep sleepers for high-scoring teams this year.  If not this year, then next year and beyond (they have really done well in rebuilding during offseason). 

There will be some leagues with stubborn (maybe rightfully so) Chubb owners, but many leagues will have a disappointed owner who likes a shiny new object at 1.7 - 1.12 in a rookie draft and will trade him for the pick.  Happens frequently enough, that "highly doubting" is highly suspect.
Feel free to bump this up next offseason then.  Guess we’ll see how highly suspect that stance is and how many Chubb owners are dumping him for a late 1st in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread