What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (4 Viewers)

Not to be pedantic, I like Chubb a lot and have him on several redraft teams (don't play dynasty), but the o-line play is still pretty atrocious and leads to him being hit being the line a ton. I mean he had something like 18 carries for 30 yards at one point on Sunday and for this season at least, some much tougher matchups than the crappy Bengals. On the flip side, he's getting volume, goal-line carries, plus some catches and Mayfield is eons better than Taylor so there's still plenty positives.

I picked up Chubb once I heard about the Hyde trade.  Within a week I offered Chubb for Leveon Bell and the other owner not only rejected me (understandably) but sent a rare comment back saying it was a terrible offer and countered with Crowell for my Gurley saying that was comparable offer.  So happy he declined now!
Those are my favorites to come back to a couple weeks later with a nice thank you note on it.

So he's graded out as the top RB in the league?
By PFF metrics, yes. I don't know their exact formula but I know this includes things like yards after contact, forced missed tackles, pass blocking, and receiving. What other stats or how they weigh each one, I don't know.

I like their stats, but I take them with a grain of salt. I know they do a good job of giving credit where credit is due... like if a guy is averaging 5 ypc but should be at 5.5 due to the blocking, he won't be rated as high as a high averaging 3.5 ypc who should be averaging 2 ypc due to a wet paper towel offensive line. But at the same time, if a guy is a garbage pass blocker and top notch runner, it's going to hurt his grade. So it isn't always a great number for fantasy football.

Fantasy wise it worked out but as an actual football strategy I thought they went away from Chubb too quickly in the first half.

Should have let the offense develop off Chubb and then branch out as Mayfield settled in an got his bearings against a more sophisticated defense than he’s played.

Instead they ran Chubb 9 times all game so Baker could spend the whole first half throwing it to the wrong team. They need to slow things down early on against the Panthers next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantasy wise it worked out but as an actual football strategy I thought they went away from Chubb too quickly in the first half.

Should have let the offense develop off Chubb and then branch out as Mayfield settled in an got his bearings against a more sophisticated defense than he’s played.

Instead they ran Chubb 9 times all game so Baker could spend the whole first half throwing it to the wrong team. They need to slow things down early on against the Panthers next week.
Turnovers killed it today, 3 picks obvious drive killers, then the Callaway fumble at the 1, that was a likely goalline td taken away. If anything, it's heartening that he still scored 13 in standard in a horrible matchup with turnovers galore. 

Nick Chubb: Did not have more than THREE CARRIES, until Week 7. Did not have a reception until week 8.

Total Rushing: 972yds, 5.3ypc, 8TDs, long of 92.

Total Receiving:  153yds, 18 receptions, 2TDs.

TOTAL to WEEK 16: 1125yds, 10TDs.

..... and I repeat, he didnt get more than THREE carries, until Week 7. 

Superstar. On a team riiiiiiising to the moon.

I had him going in one title game yesterday and was playing against him in another. In both games, the Chubb owner lost. Without receptions to inflate his stats, he's very reliant on TDs for big weeks. It's something that could change next year if they decide to throw him the ball a lot, but for the time being it's keeping him out of elite FF RB territory in PPR leagues. That's the main downside I see of him vs. Zeke/Gurley/Barkley/Mixon/CMC/etc. Those guys tend to get a few catches each week to prop up their floor. 

Still a very good rookie year from Chubb and he's looking like a great player to own. I like where the Browns are headed and will probably be looking at Mayfield in my redraft leagues next season.  

RB @NickChubb21 has officially broken our rookie rushing record (950) with 953 yards!

Already toppled Jim Brown's record...

.... without topping 3 carries for 7 weeks. My lawd.

RB @NickChubb21 has officially broken our rookie rushing record (950) with 953 yards!

Already toppled Jim Brown's record...

.... without topping 3 carries for 7 weeks. My lawd.
I love Chubb and all but the Browns only played 12 games in Browns rookie season 1957. They didn't start playing 14 game seasons until 1961.

On a per carry basis Chubb does have a better rookie season than Jim Brown though FWIW

Biabreakable said:
I love Chubb and all but the Browns only played 12 games in Browns rookie season 1957. They didn't start playing 14 game seasons until 1961.

On a per carry basis Chubb does have a better rookie season than Jim Brown though FWIW
Hue is somewhat of a history buff, by shackling Chubb the first few weeks he was just leveling the playing the field. Poor guy, always misconceived!

Biabreakable said:

Brown led the NFL in rushing his rookie season. Chubb won't. He also led in rushing and total touchdowns.  

Brown led the NFL in rushing his rookie season. Chubb won't. He also led in rushing and total touchdowns.  
True.

Chubb also didnt start or get more than 3 carries until week 7

He currently sits 9th in the league in rushing, 462yds off the lead (Zeke), and just 91yds out of the top 5....

It's absolutely incredible, there's no other way to put it.

True.

Chubb also didnt start or get more than 3 carries until week 7

He currently sits 9th in the league in rushing, 462yds off the lead (Zeke), and just 91yds out of the top 5....

It's absolutely incredible, there's no other way to put it.
If looking just from week 7 on (when he finally got more than 3 carries), he's second in the league in rushing yards.  Exactly 50 yards behind Zeke.  39 more rushing yards than Barkley. 

If looking just from week 7 on (when he finally got more than 3 carries), he's second in the league in rushing yards.  Exactly 50 yards behind Zeke.  39 more rushing yards than Barkley. 
yep. hard to argue against the fact that he leads the league in rushing, if playing a full season/full compliment of snaps. 

anyways... for me, he's DEFINITELY a top 3 dynasty back in nonPPR, and I'd still have him top 5 in PPR... I think his catches increase.

yep. hard to argue against the fact that he leads the league in rushing, if playing a full season/full compliment of snaps. 

anyways... for me, he's DEFINITELY a top 3 dynasty back in nonPPR, and I'd still have him top 5 in PPR... I think his catches increase.
Not sure where I'd rank him in redraft next season, but for Dynasty he's a top 5 back for me regardless of format.

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1077395779868778496

Alvin Kamara averaged 3.8 yards after contact per attempt in 2017, setting the PFF single-season record for rookie running backs.

Nick Chubb has averaged 4.6 YAC/Attempt through Week 16... He's on pace to best Kamara and etch his name in the PFF record books.
https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/25/nick-chubb-pff-team-of-the-week-for-week-16/

Chubb rushed for 112 yards on 19 carries in Cleveland’s 26-18 win over Cincinnati. He broke off several impressive runs and also caught 2 passes.

He averaged a whopping 5.26 yards after contact per attempt on the day, while he added two forced missed tackles.

I was gonna take him at #2 in dyno last year before the backfield he landed in. I traded the 1.02 for Mixon and then was able to grab Chubb in round two. Things worked out pretty well. I like watching him as an RB and I think he is in a spot that could flourish for the next few years.

I had him going in one title game yesterday and was playing against him in another. In both games, the Chubb owner lost. Without receptions to inflate his stats, he's very reliant on TDs for big weeks. It's something that could change next year if they decide to throw him the ball a lot, but for the time being it's keeping him out of elite FF RB territory in PPR leagues. That's the main downside I see of him vs. Zeke/Gurley/Barkley/Mixon/CMC/etc. Those guys tend to get a few catches each week to prop up their floor. 

Still a very good rookie year from Chubb and he's looking like a great player to own. I like where the Browns are headed and will probably be looking at Mayfield in my redraft leagues next season.  
i thought he was starting to get more involved in the passing game, but for the last few weeks Duke has been their 3rd down guy and Baker has been given the freedom to throw in short yardage situations

if those trends hold next year, he'll be overdrafted. like you said, he's TD or bust now. last week was the matchup every chubb owner was waiting for all playoffs long and he didn't do anything

i know fantasy football is dumb and unpredictable, but with Duke coming back from the dead and Baker's emergence, he's overrated (in fantasy only)

I was gonna take him at #2 in dyno last year before the backfield he landed in. I traded the 1.02 for Mixon and then was able to grab Chubb in round two. Things worked out pretty well. I like watching him as an RB and I think he is in a spot that could flourish for the next few years.
You were able to grab Chubb in the 2nd round of a rookie draft?  Superflex or 2 QB??  That’s crazy value. Nice. 

i thought he was starting to get more involved in the passing game, but for the last few weeks Duke has been their 3rd down guy and Baker has been given the freedom to throw in short yardage situations

if those trends hold next year, he'll be overdrafted. like you said, he's TD or bust now. last week was the matchup every chubb owner was waiting for all playoffs long and he didn't do anything

i know fantasy football is dumb and unpredictable, but with Duke coming back from the dead and Baker's emergence, he's overrated (in fantasy only)
Where do you think he’ll be drafted?  I’m assuming he won’t be drafted until RB7 at the earliest.  That doesn’t seem too overdrafted to me. 

I agree with this. He has returned to full health, and is only getting stronger. Anyone that watched him play as a freshman/sophomore knows that Barkley wished he was that good at the time. Duke is a problem, I agree with that, but I don't think for long. Chubb can catch, and in open space can take it to the house from anywhere. The team will see this hopefully soon. 

why would they do this?
I had the same question.  It doesn't make much sense from a Browns perspective.  They invested draft capital in a RB that performed as well or better than expected.  Why put up with the possible #### storm that is coming from signing Hunt?  I don't see where the value is in that.

the way i see it, is it doesn't impact chubb.  He will have the backfield alone for 8 weeks.  in that time he's either tearing it up or stinking it up.  If he is tearing it up then he isn't going to lose carries.  If he is stinking it up then who cares really

the way i see it, is it doesn't impact hunt.  He will have the backfield alone for 8 weeks.  in that time he's either tearing it up or stinking it up.  If he is tearing it up then he isn't going to lose carries.  If he is stinking it up then who cares really
Do you mean Chubb here?  

If Hunt turns himself around and signs a big contract in 2020, Browns will get a draft pick out of it for only $1 million. Or they could trade him, re-sign and trade him, or just dump him. There are all kinds of possibilities to help themselves if he doesn't mess up again. Shouldn't affect Chubb at all.

Users who are viewing this thread