Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?

Had an outdoor Christmas yesterday.  Towards the end I saw a sparrow fly into a small hole in the eave.  I knew the hole was there but didn't think it was big enough for a bird, guess I was wrong.   Family said to wait until spring to deal with it, let the bird have a warm place for the summer.  My thinking is F the bird.  If I put up a piece of screen that hangs down over the hole, will that allow the bird to leave but then not get back in??  I plan on going into the attic to see if there is a massive bird condo yet.  I had "replace and repaint eave/soffit" on my spring to do list already.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last weekend's refinishing project.  Before After

I moved into my house about a year and a half ago and was grilling in the dirt. My wife and I built the deck a year ago and added the railings and detail work over those next few months. Last month I

Just finished off our master bathroom. Small room - about 5’ x 12’ or so. Here’s a video of the final product I did all the work except the shower door - I’m too old to carry those large gla

2 hours ago, UOFI_316 said:

Had an outdoor Christmas yesterday.  Towards the end I saw a sparrow fly into a small hole in the eave.  I knew the hole was there but didn't think it was big enough for a bird, guess I was wrong.   Family said to wait until spring to deal with it, let the bird have a warm place for the summer.  My thinking is F the bird.  If I put up a piece of screen that hangs down over the hole, will that allow the bird to leave but then not get back in??  I plan on going into the attic to see if there is a massive bird condo yet.  I had "replace and repaint eave/soffit" on my spring to do list already.

You mean like window screen?  I'm thinking you could get something stiffer like a wire screen and make a one-way valve.  Put it over the hole but attach it only on one side so the other side can spring open, so something from inside can push its way out but not get in.

So, I have a water softener and I noticed that my water pressure has been gradually decreasing to the point where if one person is running the tap and you're in the shower, you feel a dramatic decrease on both ends.  So, I bypassed the water softener and the issue went away so I thought "crap, I need to replace my water softener" so I started shopping around for a new one and I thought "I wonder how old mine is?"  I had it installed about 7-8 years ago and I thought "wow, I should get at least 10 years out of the thing, the water is not that hard here and there are only 3 of us, hmmm."

So, I did a bit of investigating and I found this video on YouTube.  The beginning is pretty basic, he talks about how it works, etc. but then he goes on to talk about maintenance and I thought "maintenance, hmmm, I've never done maintenance in all the years I've owned my water softener. . ."  So, I did exactly as the video instructed, I bought a bottle of Iron Out, followed the directions, ran a couple of manual Regens and it worked, my water pressure is way up and I feel like the water pressure issue is resolved for now (knock on wood.)

Edited by Sullie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in a manufactured home.

The two handle bath tub shower faucet needs replacing. Last time I did this the parts were all plastic and really never seemed right. Seemed very flimsy and as if the water pressure was just to much for it.

My question for you all- Are these things pretty standard? Can I walk into Lowes and tell them I want a two handle shower set  up and it will fit or do I need to know more than that?

Thanks

* Getting ugly here. My wife claims that it has been leaking for 5 years and she has told me about it. Tonight it finally broke spraying water every where. I do not recall her ever mentioning that this was happening. I have successfully kept this fact to myself but I can feel the pressure building if you know what I mean.

20 hours ago, shuke said:

You mean like window screen?  I'm thinking you could get something stiffer like a wire screen and make a one-way valve.  Put it over the hole but attach it only on one side so the other side can spring open, so something from inside can push its way out but not get in.

That was my thought.  Using window screen put two screws through it on top of the hole.  Bird can fly out, but won't be able to pull the screen away from the eave to get back in.  I was thinking wire screen would be too stiff for the bird to fly out of.  Dont need the bird to fly further into the attic.  I am hoping it is just within the insulation down to the eave.

11 hours ago, prosopis said:

I live in a manufactured home.

The two handle bath tub shower faucet needs replacing. Last time I did this the parts were all plastic and really never seemed right. Seemed very flimsy and as if the water pressure was just to much for it.

My question for you all- Are these things pretty standard? Can I walk into Lowes and tell them I want a two handle shower set  up and it will fit or do I need to know more than that?

Thanks

* Getting ugly here. My wife claims that it has been leaking for 5 years and she has told me about it. Tonight it finally broke spraying water every where. I do not recall her ever mentioning that this was happening. I have successfully kept this fact to myself but I can feel the pressure building if you know what I mean.

Can you take a photo of it? 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, wilked said:

Can you take a photo of it? 

I dont know how to link photos in here. :bag:

I will take photos to bring to Lowes. Also measuring distance between hot and cold water knobs. I am hoping that will do it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Did my first real good improvement project today! We have this big double door on the living room that slides and leads to the backyard (which is really kind of on the side of the house - it's a little weird). Anyway, because our fence is low, you can just see into the living room from the street/sidewalk and after my wife went through like 80 curtain samples, we finally got the color she was ok with and so today I did the install.

Simple. Just three brackets, leveled and measured and drilled into the studs, and curtains are up! We had to also buy a ladder so now I have a ladder.

• Like 2

Finally getting around to painting my garage after 15 years. Need to spend some quality time patching up concrete in a couple of places and plenty of caulk is needed for hairline cracks. We’re spending the next couple of weekends prepping for paint. Once it’s done, we’re getting the floor professionally finished. Anyone have any experience getting this done? The stuff at the store seems like garbage and I only want it done once. 

We're getting ready to break ground on an ADU this week. Once that is done we'll move into it and then remodel our house (includes adding a bathroom, very excited to not have to share just one with the two women in the house). After that's done we'll look at building a new house and rent both of these out. It's going to be a very hectic year but fortunately I don't have to do any of the work, just pay for it lol. 

ELECTRICIAN GUYS...Here's a weird problem. 

One wall in my home has 2 light sconces along a stairwell. These lights can be turned off/on by 2 separate light switches at top and bottom of the stairs.

These lights stopped working. This wall has 2 outlets that still work, all the breakers are on.

Pretend you are talking to a small child.

1 hour ago, The General said:

One wall in my home has 2 light sconces along a stairwell. These lights can be turned off/on by 2 separate light switches at top and bottom of the stairs.

These lights stopped working. This wall has 2 outlets that still work, all the breakers are on.

Other people might be able talk you through this without any tools, but I can definitely help you figure this out if you have a home depot or similar nearby and can pick up a non-contact voltage tester

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, The General said:

Anything notable other than they stopped working? 

as the poster above noted,  it a ncvt. Turn off the circuit that feeds the light in the panel. You know it’s off when the ncvt shows no voltage on the hot wire. 

open each switch one by one and check the connections. There should be 4 wires. Black red white green. Make sure they are secure. If not sure open them and reseat them. Check the two switches. The switches are the main moving parts so they are likeliest to fail.

If you still have issues, replace each switch. It’s like $2 each. Replace both and then recheck. 

if it’s still failing you might check the lights.  But chances are both lights didn’t fail at same time. Nows  the time to call a friend who’s handy. 

5 minutes ago, wilked said:

Anything notable other than they stopped working? 

as the poster above noted,  it a ncvt. Turn off the circuit that feeds the light in the panel. You know it’s off when the ncvt shows no voltage on the hot wire. 

open each switch one by one and check the connections. There should be 4 wires. Black red white green. Make sure they are secure. If not sure open them and reseat them. Check the two switches. The switches are the main moving parts so they are likeliest to fail.

If you still have issues, replace each switch. It’s like $2 each. Replace both and then recheck. 

if it’s still failing you might check the lights.  But chances are both lights didn’t fail at same time. Nows  the time to call a friend who’s handy. 

Thanks for this. I did find something similar on YouTube and am messing with this tomo. This is about the maximum level of handyman that I am willing to deal with :lol:

Our house is built in the 50’s and has knob and tube electric work so anything in the walls and attic is no bueno.

On 1/16/2021 at 9:43 PM, Instinctive said:

Did my first real good improvement project today! We have this big double door on the living room that slides and leads to the backyard (which is really kind of on the side of the house - it's a little weird). Anyway, because our fence is low, you can just see into the living room from the street/sidewalk and after my wife went through like 80 curtain samples, we finally got the color she was ok with and so today I did the install.

Simple. Just three brackets, leveled and measured and drilled into the studs, and curtains are up! We had to also buy a ladder so now I have a ladder.

Nice job.  These things always take up more time than I think they should.  I seem to always run into some type of snag when installing curtains/blinds.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Relatively new homeowner here. I want to hire a contractor to build a couple levels of retaining wall in my front yard and Im not 100% sure how this works. I just know this isn’t something I’m doing myself. 

Do typical contractors do both the design and construction or do I have to hire these separately? Googling some local contractors, this isn’t entirely clear. 

Also, with COVID being a concern, should I get a few bids or just rely on ratings/reviews people have posted? I want to minimize contact with as many people as possible but also want a good price obviously. 

I think you should ask for free quotes from a construction contractor. Then if they don’t ask for you site plan then this is a bad sign. They will usually ask for site plans to understand where the piping is. Not know your situation, you could have septic pipes, septic system, water lines, underground electric lines, irrigation, etc... if you need heavy equipment then they will need know where all of this is. Start there and they can explain the process for you. But if what they are saying or what they are asking seems light. Get another one to give you free quote. You more than likely need heavy equipment but need know if you can get that heavy equipment in right spot without nightmare. 

33 minutes ago, EYLive said:

Does anyone have recommendations on dishwashing machines? Brands, features, etc that I should consider?

Bosch has been so good to me. 

As I previously mentioned, we painted the garage and got the floor resurfaced. The guy who did the floor was fantastic. He put down like 60 pounds of flake and it shows. For anyone considering the difference between a big box store epoxy kit and getting it professionally done, I submit the following photos of the latter: Before and after

That's 8mm of clearcoat in case you’re wondering. 

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, EYLive said:

Does anyone have recommendations on dishwashing machines? Brands, features, etc that I should consider?

If you do a search you should find a thread on this 

I will second the Bosch recommendation 

1 hour ago, berndog said:
2 hours ago, EYLive said:

There is definitely a thread on this, whether you can find it with the search function is another issue. People really love Bosch. 

We bought this GE dishwasher about 18 months ago on sale for $500 and it's been great so far. Not as quiet as some of the super quiet machines, but it's pretty dang quiet. We got it because of the price and because it has bottle jets for washing the inside of baby bottles (or any other bottle) since cleaning baby bottles by hand sucked. It's was probably about $900 full price, and isn't available now (probably something similar from GE is out now with a slightly different model number). Not sure how much a nice Bosch will run. 

Edited by FBG26
2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

As I previously mentioned, we painted the garage and got the floor resurfaced. The guy who did the floor was fantastic. He put down like 60 pounds of flake and it shows. For anyone considering the difference between a big box store epoxy kit and getting it professionally done, I submit the following photos of the latter: Before and after

Looks great!  I like how they went up the walls several inches.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Lion to myself said:

Looks great!  I like how they went up the walls several inches.  

Thx. The “stem walls” as he called them, really finish it off imo. 

Edited by Osaurus
9 hours ago, Osaurus said:

What does the flake do?  Just look pretty or make it non-slip or what?

5 hours ago, shuke said:

What does the flake do?  Just look pretty or make it non-slip or what?

It gives the floor texture and looks pretty. There are all kinds of fancy flakes you can get, but I went with the more standard type. 

2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

It gives the floor texture and looks pretty. There are all kinds of fancy flakes you can get, but I went with the more standard type. 

That looks really good. Did they have to remove your mechanicals completely to install the new surface?

5 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

That looks really good. Did they have to remove your mechanicals completely to install the new surface?

No. He got in as close as he good around the softener/carbon filter and water heater. I could have taken out the softener/carbon filter, but didn’t think it was worth it since it’s a PITA to reassemble. I can always get him to come out at a later date to patch whatever is left. 

1 minute ago, Osaurus said:

No. He got in as close as he good around the softener/carbon filter and water heater. I could have taken out the softener/carbon filter, but didn’t think it was worth it since it’s a PITA to reassemble. I can always get him to come out at a later date to patch whatever is left. 

From the picture, at least, you can't really see where the finish stops around them so I probably wouldn't worry about it unless it's eating at you.

Can you do this surfacing outside? I've got to do something with my parking area and I'm not looking forward to demo-ing all of that concrete.

14 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

From the picture, at least, you can't really see where the finish stops around them so I probably wouldn't worry about it unless it's eating at you.

Can you do this surfacing outside? I've got to do something with my parking area and I'm not looking forward to demo-ing all of that concrete.

He got in pretty close which is quite impressive. We’ll see how long my mild OCD is held at bay :lol:

Yes. There are outdoor coatings out there which provide way more protection from UV rays, heat, cold, etc... This naturally assumes expansion joints are adequate. I know they cost a lot more too. They market it to folks with pools down here in FL that want to spruce up the surrounding hardscape (usually enclosed in a pool cage)

• Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 12:00 PM, berndog said:

I third the Bosch rec

When we were shopping for a new dishwasher a decade or so ago, we noticed that almost half (if not more) of the "different" brands actually have the same Bosch interiors anyway, it’s just the face plates and controls that are different. 

I just replaced all the florescent bulbs (which were 16 years old and dying) in my repurposed kitchen to garage light with all new LEDs. No more ballasts and flickering along with straight wiring for all four bulbs. It freaked me out cutting all the ballast wires, but it’s way brighter in the garage now with this new setup. I’m very pleased I didn’t screw this up. Pics

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
On 2/12/2021 at 11:36 AM, Osaurus said:

Cost?

I have a backdoor that needs replacing. I believe it will be the whole frame as well as the door. There is some water damage and some flooring will also need to be be replaced right at the threshold.

I had a guy come over who took some measurements and will get back to me with a quote. 

What is a fair price to get this job done? I am in a manufactured home.

On 2/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, Osaurus said:

Bosch has been so good to me. 

We installed a Bosch dishwasher in September 2019 in our new house. We haven't used it yet. I'll let you know when we do and give you my .02. 

We moved into our house in October 2019.

Edited by Senor Schmutzig
12 minutes ago, Senor Schmutzig said:

We installed a Bosch dishwasher in September 2019 in our new house. We haven't used it yet. I'll let you know when we do and give you my .02. 

We moved into our house in October 2019.

Your dog licks all your dishes clean? The maid does them all by hand? Just eat off paper? I don't understand...

On 2/12/2021 at 10:58 AM, EYLive said:

We had a plumber out recently to fix ours, and his cost-is-no-object recommendation for new ones was Miele. 

Need to get the all-house surge protector attached to the meter box replaced. This happened yesterday. I think when the garage guy was grinding down the floor surface, it shook loose. Electrician is coming tomorrow to replace it.

Also looking to get quotes for curbing/edging around yard and flower beds and new sod inside the fence and all up front. The new cool sod is Pro Vista St. Augustine here in the Tampa area. Hoping to get all this stuff finished in March. 

Edited by Osaurus

This past year we redid our kitchen. 

This year:

1. Bought Sunsetter retractable awning for deck

2. May get semi-inground pool

3. Might convert spare bedroom to an office as it looks like I'll be working from home for rest of my life now.

Edited by jobarules

I ripped out the drywall in garage this weekend to let the studs air out, and to create a spout with which I could divert the leaking water heater from this past week's insane TX weather away from the wall and onto the garage floor.

So my project now will be to hope the compromised part actually ships from any of the many places it is backordered at, so I can fix the water heater, and then figure out how to drywall the wall back up (assuming I don't have to replace the studs or whatever that flat board on the bottom of the wall atop the slab is called). Then I need to insulate the entire water heater box further, methinks.

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

Need to get the all-house surge protector attached to the meter box replaced. This happened yesterday. I think when the garage guy was grinding down the floor surface, it shook loose. Electrician is coming tomorrow to replace it.

Also looking to get quotes for curbing/edging around yard and flower beds and new sod inside the fence and all up front. The new cool sod is Pro Vista St. Augustine here in the Tampa area. Hoping to get all this stuff finished in March. 

Look closer at those Sycom's, GB. I don't think it shook loose. They have a reputation for spectacularly catching fire. I think UL even pulled their listing.

• Thinking 1
2 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Look closer at those Sycom's, GB. I don't think it shook loose. They have a reputation for spectacularly catching fire. I think UL even pulled their listing.

Thx. It’s 13 or 14 years old fwiw. I’ll ask the electrician tomorrow what he’s replacing it with. 

ETA: Company is out of business so most likely not getting the same surge protector to replace it. 

Edited by Osaurus
14 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Looks like my model. Glad it didn’t do more damage. It’s coming down at 8 am so I’ll be relieved.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, Sullie said:

So, I have a water softener and I noticed that my water pressure has been gradually decreasing to the point where if one person is running the tap and you're in the shower, you feel a dramatic decrease on both ends.  So, I bypassed the water softener and the issue went away so I thought "crap, I need to replace my water softener" so I started shopping around for a new one and I thought "I wonder how old mine is?"  I had it installed about 7-8 years ago and I thought "wow, I should get at least 10 years out of the thing, the water is not that hard here and there are only 3 of us, hmmm."

So, I did a bit of investigating and I found this video on YouTube.  The beginning is pretty basic, he talks about how it works, etc. but then he goes on to talk about maintenance and I thought "maintenance, hmmm, I've never done maintenance in all the years I've owned my water softener. . ."  So, I did exactly as the video instructed, I bought a bottle of Iron Out, followed the directions, ran a couple of manual Regens and it worked, my water pressure is way up and I feel like the water pressure issue is resolved for now (knock on wood.)

I bought my home 4 1/2 years ago that has a water softner. This is the 1st I've heard of doing maintenance on it. Thanks! I just ordered the Iron out on Amazon.

15 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Getting it replaced now with a pretty industrial all house surge protector and the AC condenser surge protector replaced while I’m at it. Both protect against a bigger load (giggle) and have way better warranties. The wiring looked fried on my meter box. Peace of mind is worth the extra :moneybag: I am spending on this. 

ETA: Pics of replacements

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1