Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Home-owners...What are your current projects?


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I bought my home 4 1/2 years ago that has a water softner. This is the 1st I've heard of doing maintenance on it. Thanks! I just ordered the Iron out on Amazon.

Oh yeah. I don’t have a lot of iron here in FL, but I do have a pre-carbon filter which strips out a lot of the chlorine. The result is the pipes need to be flushed from time to time with chlorinated water. I turn on the faucet in the back of the house (the furthest from the softener), bypass the pre-carbon filter, and run chlorinated water through the pipes for about 15 minutes. I turn the pre-carbon filter back on and I’m good to go for another year. I also flush my kitchen faucet RO tank once a year and replace the filters annually as well. I don’t have to replace them that often, but considering how much we use it, I feel better doing it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last weekend's refinishing project.  Before After

I moved into my house about a year and a half ago and was grilling in the dirt. My wife and I built the deck a year ago and added the railings and detail work over those next few months. Last month I

Just finished off our master bathroom. Small room - about 5’ x 12’ or so. Here’s a video of the final product I did all the work except the shower door - I’m too old to carry those large gla

On 12/31/2020 at 12:35 PM, Sullie said:

So, I have a water softener and I noticed that my water pressure has been gradually decreasing to the point where if one person is running the tap and you're in the shower, you feel a dramatic decrease on both ends.  So, I bypassed the water softener and the issue went away so I thought "crap, I need to replace my water softener" so I started shopping around for a new one and I thought "I wonder how old mine is?"  I had it installed about 7-8 years ago and I thought "wow, I should get at least 10 years out of the thing, the water is not that hard here and there are only 3 of us, hmmm."

So, I did a bit of investigating and I found this video on YouTube.  The beginning is pretty basic, he talks about how it works, etc. but then he goes on to talk about maintenance and I thought "maintenance, hmmm, I've never done maintenance in all the years I've owned my water softener. . ."  So, I did exactly as the video instructed, I bought a bottle of Iron Out, followed the directions, ran a couple of manual Regens and it worked, my water pressure is way up and I feel like the water pressure issue is resolved for now (knock on wood.)

I forgot that I made this post. . . .aaaannnnndddd of course I spoke WAY WAY too soon unfortunately.  I mean, it wasn't the end of the world but I ended up doing a rip and replace with my water softener.  I would say, that within two weeks, I was right back to where I was before, crap water pressure and I tried more of the iron out trick except the next time it didn't do anything and then the water pressure got incrementally worse and worse until it was (to me) obnoxiously bad.  And I define obnoxiously bad as, I'm in the shower, someone would wash their hands (or God forbid flush the toilet) and you would get the equivalent of an 80 year old man pissing on your head in the shower. . . with a prostate issue. . . and kidney stone blockage. There's nothing like eyes full of soap and shampoo for minutes (that feel like hours) to ignite you into taking action.

So, trying to be clever, I looked up the make and model of the water softener I had because I thought "well, if I get the exact same one I had before, it should just be a simple swap."  Three problems with that.  First problem is that the one I had came from a plumbing store that mainly caters to plumbers and contractors, so that means, I couldn't verify it online because the actual brand was sold under a different name which I wasn't aware of, now I know.  Second problem is that they have a showroom but because of Covid restrictions, the showroom was closed until further notice.  In fact, I wasn't even allowed in the store, no-one was.  To buy parts, you have to call them up, order the part and you pay for it over the phone and pick it up on their dock.   The third problem was that the one I had installed was installed 14 years ago. . . honestly, 14 fricken years ago. . . I swear to God I thought I replaced it like 7 years ago.  So, naturally, after 14 years - things change - go figure.

So, I called the place up, gave them the make, model and all the appropriate information off my old water softener.  They looked it up and gave me the direct replacement model for mine - so "win right?"  Not so fast.  I get the thing home, unbox it and I find it's totally different.  Different fittings, different drainage, different size, everything about it is totally different.  Whatever.  I looked at the spaghetti-like, criss-crossed, copper pipe that was in place in my current water softener setup.  Honestly, it looked like some kind of steampunk artwork design (because the hot and cold are plumbed opposite way that the water softener expects it) so it had this intricate design of tiny pieces of copper pipe neatly soldered into this elaborate. weaving design, it reminded me of the St. Louis freeway system when I drove through there years ago.  Yeah, so I hacked that crap right out (because it didn't fit and I didn't want to fiddle with it) and I replaced all that with sharkbite water softener connectors that I got from Home Depot for like $15 each or something, I paid $550 for the water softener and I replaced the water softener in about 2 hours.  It took 2 hours because, initially, I bought the wrong sized water softener connection hoses (diameter was too big or too small initially) and I thought I had some teflon thread laying around but, of course I didn't. so I had to go back for that as well.  But, all in all, it was pretty painless.  I discovered sharkbite fittings (so that was a HUGE plus) and I also discovered that because of the sharkbite fittings, I'm pretty confident when I say I don't think I'll be calling a plumber again to replace my water heater nor water softener again.  The fittings are pretty much idiot proof and it makes a dreadful job (plumbing, sweating pipes, welding - which I suck at) very easy and satisfying.

Edited by Sullie
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sullie said:

  I looked at the spaghetti-like, criss-crossed, copper pipe that was in place in my current water softener setup.  Honestly, it looked like some kind of steampunk artwork design (because the hot and cold are plumbed opposite way that the water softener expects it) so it had this intricate design of tiny pieces of copper pipe neatly soldered into this elaborate. weaving design, it reminded me of the St. Louis freeway system when I drove through there years ago.  Yeah, so I hacked that crap right out (because it didn't fit and I didn't want to fiddle with it) and I replaced all that with sharkbite water softener connectors that I got from Home Depot for like $15 each or something, I paid $550 for the water softener and I replaced the water softener in about 2 hours.  It took 2 hours because, initially, I bought the wrong sized water softener connection hoses (diameter was too big or too small initially) and I thought I had some teflon thread laying around but, of course I didn't. so I had to go back for that as well.  But, all in all, it was pretty painless.  I discovered sharkbite fittings (so that was a HUGE plus) and I also discovered that because of the sharkbite fittings, I'm pretty confident when I say I don't think I'll be calling a plumber again to replace my water heater nor water softener again.  The fittings are pretty much idiot proof and it makes a dreadful job (plumbing, sweating pipes, welding - which I suck at) very easy and satisfying.

I had this precise experience replacing my upstairs water heater last year. I think I even posted the pipe sculpture here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting quotes for installing sod in my yard has been enlightening to say the least. I’ve gotten one solid quote, one questionable quote, and expecting another quote here shortly. I am going to discuss questionable quote for fun.

Guy comes by and immediately tells me he hates my MP rotator sprinkler setup. The heads all have 6 inch risers so it’s going to go way above any newly installed sod. This setup is full coverage and way better than what the house came with because an irrigation guy set it up and thought the whole thing out. He added full drip in a zone too (flower bed). Sod guy goes around getting measurements of the yard and says he’ll get back to me the next day. 
 

I get a “proposal” from sod guy’s wife late yesterday in “.dat” format? Seriously? I reply back and say try again.  I get another proposal in .xps format that I can actually open. He line items all the materials and states that I need 8 full pallets for my yard. I have at most 2,700 sf and the first estimate I got specified 5 and 1/2 to 6 pallets. The next section is all the things he’s going to do for labor. Grading, checking all the sprinkler heads (hater), and adding topsoil for $195. He throws some other things in there, but basically wants to charge me $2,300 for labor. I reply to the email asking if the total number of pallets is right. 
 

I get a call later from sod guy and he tells me that he is being liberal with the pallets in case there’s a lot of loss. Where is he buying this sod from where there would be that much loss? If you use the liberal square footage for a pallet, it’s more than twice the square footage I need. He said he could drop it to 7 or 6, but I would be responsible for any shortfall. Sure thing. At this point I’m wondering if this guy isn’t angling to take like a piece or two off a pallet and then say it’s used and take the rest “off my hands” and no doubt install it elsewhere while doubling his earnings per pallet. WTH? He then asks me at the end of the conversation if we had a deal? Lol. I said I’ll let you know if I decide to go with you. There’s no way I am. Shady af imo. 
 

Hopefully estimate 3 comes in more comparable to estimate 1. The funny part is this installer gets their sod from the same farm shady sod guy buys from. In fact, this installer is the farm’s recommended installer. I am the most curious about square footage and number of pallets at this point. Prices are mostly comparable thus far. I’ll report back later. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a friend help me install a new front door with sidelights.  The door weighed a metric ton but we summoned our he-man strength and got it in place.

 
The final result is outstanding!  :thumbup:  
I had people I don’t know driving by and saying how great it looks.  I saved a boatload installing it myself and have piece of mind knowing it was done correctly.  

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2021 at 12:26 PM, berndog said:

I had a friend help me install a new front door with sidelights.  The door weighed a metric ton but we summoned our he-man strength and got it in place.

 
The final result is outstanding!  :thumbup:  
I had people I don’t know driving by and saying how great it looks.  I saved a boatload installing it myself and have piece of mind knowing it was done correctly.  

 

Which model?  Been thinking about doing the same as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished off our master bathroom. Small room - about 5’ x 12’ or so.

Here’s a video of the final product

I did all the work except the shower door - I’m too old to carry those large glass panels around. I did all the sheetrock, lighting, wiring, tiling, plumbing, trim work, painting, etc.

Finished it off with this door, which created much needed space inside the bathroom. I couldn’t do a pocket door due to ductwork in the walls.

Got a bid to do this work for about 14k - I did it for around 4k.

Turned out really nice, and I’ve also painted the entire inside of the house as well. I’m pooped.

Edited by ChiefD
  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a third sod estimate from the grower’s recommended installer. Still came in at about 8 pallets or 3,200 square feet, but not an additional $2,400 in “labor” so I’m going with these installers. The grower is 10 minutes away and I think the installer can get me in on a weekend in the next few weeks. Still working on getting estimates for curbing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 3:00 PM, berndog said:

If you do a search you should find a thread on this 

I will second the Bosch recommendation 

Bosch is the best for features, quality, and reliability.  Whirlpool is typically slightly more reliable for the same price point. Don't buy a Samsung. Not reliable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting estimates on a tiled shower re-do (because they didn't waterproof the bench seat 15 years ago and it's currently not leaking into my kitchen because of gorilla glue duct tape). Plus 2 other changes to the master bathroom including adding a door to separate out the toilet area from the rest since my wife isn't down with double occupancy in the bathroom. 

Anyway, I created a 3D CAD model of the space and a PowerPoint describing the 3 different areas to work on.  I'm not sure if this pissed off the contractors bidding, but I have 2 bids and they are fully 50% higher than i would like to pay for the work. Plus some contractors are now scheduling for like November...

Question: can i negotiate on price here or do they have so much demand that they won't budge?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, berndog said:

@ChiefD impressive work on the bathroom! :thumbup:

How long did that take?

Thanks.

 

I tore the bathroom out in September. I then sat on it all fall and didn’t really hit it hard until the week after Christmas.

Basically from Jan 1 until two weeks ago I worked every day after work and on weekends to finish. Now, I was also doing some other painting and such in the house as well during that time just to get me out of that little room.

But I worked for about 64 days straight between my regular job and this project to get it done.

So I started in September, but in actual work time it took me two months. Probably would have got it done in a month if I wasn’t such a wuss.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I'm getting estimates on a tiled shower re-do (because they didn't waterproof the bench seat 15 years ago and it's currently not leaking into my kitchen because of gorilla glue duct tape). Plus 2 other changes to the master bathroom including adding a door to separate out the toilet area from the rest since my wife isn't down with double occupancy in the bathroom. 

Anyway, I created a 3D CAD model of the space and a PowerPoint describing the 3 different areas to work on.  I'm not sure if this pissed off the contractors bidding, but I have 2 bids and they are fully 50% higher than i would like to pay for the work. Plus some contractors are now scheduling for like November...

Question: can i negotiate on price here or do they have so much demand that they won't budge?

Every contractor is busy right now. So that lead time doesn’t surprise me.

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you think that project is worth? I used to do this as a licensed contractor so I could probably tell you if that is realistic or not.

This market is pretty busy for contractors since everyone has money to spend and they are sitting in their houses noticing all the things that need to be done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a master bed/bath expansion project in the early stages. Bedroom is 15 x 12 and bathroom is small, about 4 x 7 (and half of it is the shower). We are blowing out the back wall and adding a big walk-in closet where half the current bedroom footprint is, and then basically re-adding the bedroom with the added space in the back. And with the additional space, we are also adding to the bathroom. Had an architect who quoted us $3400 for the drawings and planning throughout the process. Problem is, if I get a contractor quote that is stupid high we probably won't end up doing it at all.

We are in a bilevel, so there will need to be support beams and new roofing involved in the bedroom project (since it's on the upper level), plus adding a wall full of windows, moving plumbing and heating, A/C duct work, lots of stuff. It's sizable. But I don't want to be pot committed with the $3.4k only to end up saying Wow cool we paid thousands of dollars for drawings! Any suggestions? I already asked if she could give us very basic plans with no frills just so we could use that to get a contractor quote, and she came back with $2750 for the basic level stuff, ugh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing everyone. Great examples,  info and inspiration.

1st attempt to share an Amazon album. If it doesn't work or somehow allows you to buy stuff in my account. Please let me know.

Bathroom for master bedroom. Notable: Enlarging the room, shower, vanity. Adding linen cabinet, radiant floor heat. Upgrading to comfort height toilet with bidet seat.

About $10k for contractor & his materials. $1800 at cabinet place. $925 for quartz top. About $1650 for floor and shower tile. Toilet, sink, fixtrues etc., for shower/sink, about $1200. Total about $15-16k.

Status as of this morning;  framed. 

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/MQzdeK6EQbW16qUM2wThvA.tOPJP6Gy11m_HFe8rxDxOR

Edited by brun
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Michael Brown said:

We have a master bed/bath expansion project in the early stages. Bedroom is 15 x 12 and bathroom is small, about 4 x 7 (and half of it is the shower). We are blowing out the back wall and adding a big walk-in closet where half the current bedroom footprint is, and then basically re-adding the bedroom with the added space in the back. And with the additional space, we are also adding to the bathroom. Had an architect who quoted us $3400 for the drawings and planning throughout the process. Problem is, if I get a contractor quote that is stupid high we probably won't end up doing it at all.

We are in a bilevel, so there will need to be support beams and new roofing involved in the bedroom project (since it's on the upper level), plus adding a wall full of windows, moving plumbing and heating, A/C duct work, lots of stuff. It's sizable. But I don't want to be pot committed with the $3.4k only to end up saying Wow cool we paid thousands of dollars for drawings! Any suggestions? I already asked if she could give us very basic plans with no frills just so we could use that to get a contractor quote, and she came back with $2750 for the basic level stuff, ugh

That sounds like a pretty sizable project.

You may just contact a contractor and have them come by and take a look. See if they can give you a ballpark idea on costs. Some remodelers are design/build type, where they handle the plans and everything in house.

I might start there before you drop that kind of dough on drawings. You at least need to know if it's affordable before you drop money on something you may never use.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Bosch is the best for features, quality, and reliability.  Whirlpool is typically slightly more reliable for the same price point. Don't buy a Samsung. Not reliable.

I replaced a functional but old and ugly Kitchenaid with a lower end Bosch. The Bosch works fine and is quieter but does require an added drying agent. I assume the more expensive ones don't need this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I'm getting estimates on a tiled shower re-do (because they didn't waterproof the bench seat 15 years ago and it's currently not leaking into my kitchen because of gorilla glue duct tape). Plus 2 other changes to the master bathroom including adding a door to separate out the toilet area from the rest since my wife isn't down with double occupancy in the bathroom. 

Anyway, I created a 3D CAD model of the space and a PowerPoint describing the 3 different areas to work on.  I'm not sure if this pissed off the contractors bidding, but I have 2 bids and they are fully 50% higher than i would like to pay for the work. Plus some contractors are now scheduling for like November...

Question: can i negotiate on price here or do they have so much demand that they won't budge?

I'm guessing that, while you're probably just trying to communicate effectively, the bolded scared them into thinking you may be one who tends to micromanage.

Link to post
Share on other sites

great looking work chiefhan can you tell me what the flooring materials you used is is that a tile or is that vinyl plank thanks in advance brochacho take that to the bank 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, brun said:

Thanks for sharing everyone. Great examples,  info and inspiration.

1st attempt to share an Amazon album. If it doesn't work or somehow allows you to buy stuff in my account. Please let me know.

Bathroom for master bedroom. Notable: Enlarging the room, shower, vanity. Adding linen cabinet, radiant floor heat. Upgrading to comfort height toilet with bidet seat.

About $10k for contractor & his materials. $1800 at cabinet place. $925 for quartz top. About $1650 for floor and shower tile. Toilet, sink, fixtrues etc., for shower/sink, about $1200. Total about $15-16k.

Status as of this morning;  framed. 

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/MQzdeK6EQbW16qUM2wThvA.tOPJP6Gy11m_HFe8rxDxOR

please tell me you are keeping that sweet orange countertop my parents old place had one just like it and frankly that countertop is a national treasure take that to the bank brohan 

  • Laughing 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

as an aside i am pretty fed up with this thread having nothing but nice pictures of sweet rearend finished projects we need a thread called homeowners what are your halfassed projects and then it should be pictures of stuff with duct tape and way too many screws at all crazy intervals and no painting or finishing just total crap work that my fellow brohans would be a thread that the old swcer could get down with take that to the bank 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SWC said:

great looking work chiefhan can you tell me what the flooring materials you used is is that a tile or is that vinyl plank thanks in advance brochacho take that to the bank 

It is a wood plank looking ceramic tile. They are 8" wide x 48" long - so pretty easy to lay.  I used the same one in my other bathroom when I remodeled it about 4 years ago.

Very durable and solid and looks awesome. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ChiefD said:

It is a wood plank looking ceramic tile. They are 8" wide x 48" long - so pretty easy to lay.  I used the same one in my other bathroom when I remodeled it about 4 years ago.

Very durable and solid and looks awesome. 

I love this stuff. We have the hand scraped looking tile in our office. Here's a pic. Pardon the dog fur. It's time to dust.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, brun said:

I'm guessing that, while you're probably just trying to communicate effectively, the bolded scared them into thinking you may be one who tends to micromanage.

Yeah, I feared that.  I'm in a related business to this work (power tools product development), so it's in my nature to ask questions and get more involved than typical.  I know most contractors don't like that, but I honestly can't help myself here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SWC said:

please tell me you are keeping that sweet orange countertop my parents old place had one just like it and frankly that countertop is a national treasure take that to the bank brohan 

😆😆😆

Sorry, went in the dumpster. House built in the 70's and I've been in it for over 25 years. Other than paint and swapping out the faucet. That room has never been touched. Sorry to say but the gold shag is gone too.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, brun said:

I replaced a functional but old and ugly Kitchenaid with a lower end Bosch. The Bosch works fine and is quieter but does require an added drying agent. I assume the more expensive ones don't need this.

Nope, I think all Bosch dishwashers need the drying agent to work effectively.  It's how they do the drying without a heating element, and also why plastics don't get as dry as ceramics or metals.  In short, the water is carried away from the dishes to the interior stainless steel walls of the dishwasher.  Changing the surface chemistry of the water droplets helps that water release from the dishes / cutlery.

American designed dishwashers often still use a heating element to cook off some of the water and vent it.  Some models do a combo of cooking + wall condensation.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Yeah, I feared that.  I'm in a related business to this work (power tools product development), so it's in my nature to ask questions and get more involved than typical.  I know most contractors don't like that, but I honestly can't help myself here.

Makes sense. Especially if these contractors are relatively new to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i like to just scream at contractors for about 15 minutes on the phone about crazy stuff like conspiracy theories and aliens and then if they listen to me and dont hang up or even agree with me i never hire them because they are clearly fn nuts take that to the bank bromigos 

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Nope, I think all Bosch dishwashers need the drying agent to work effectively.  It's how they do the drying without a heating element, and also why plastics don't get as dry as ceramics or metals.  In short, the water is carried away from the dishes to the interior stainless steel walls of the dishwasher.  Changing the surface chemistry of the water droplets helps that water release from the dishes / cutlery.

American designed dishwashers often still use a heating element to cook off some of the water and vent it.  Some models do a combo of cooking + wall condensation.

I think the drying agent is just required if washing plastics.  If only glass/metal it shouldn't be needed.

Emphasis on think

Link to post
Share on other sites

Since my previous photo sharing seemed to work. Figured I'd add a link to last year's kitchen project album. Didn't take end of project pictures with appliances installed, but I think most of it is covered. IIRC this ended up around $25k, maybe a little more.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/fiTrcIOZQx-g9sOdiXkhIQ.thD80HpFqt4zFySFsoABJh

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting a new composite deck.  Wanted to expand it, but the structural work was such a huge jump in pricing.

Also adding a new 500sqft stone patio with wall and all new plantings.  Will replace the windows on the back of the house as well.

Deck will be done this month, but the yard is pushed until June due to scheduling.

We also want to totally gut and redo the master bathroom.  Currently there is only one sink and we want to install a double-vanity.  This project will require all of the trades, adding some plumbing, new lighting locations, having to move the tub and tweak ductwork etc. So will get 2-3 bids and see what happens.

Kids' hall bath we want to update, but nothing needs added or moved.  Hoping that we can just paint the vanity and add new hardware and plumbing fixtures, along with new toilet, light fixtures, and paint.  Need to remove the tile and tub surround.  Not sure if need a new tub -- it is this ugly beige/almond and we want everything white, grey, and black in there now basically.

I am assuming the master will be like $60k-$70k, but I want to keep the kids' under $15k --- is this at all possible?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Getting a new composite deck.  Wanted to expand it, but the structural work was such a huge jump in pricing.

Also adding a new 500sqft stone patio with wall and all new plantings.  Will replace the windows on the back of the house as well.

Deck will be done this month, but the yard is pushed until June due to scheduling.

We also want to totally gut and redo the master bathroom.  Currently there is only one sink and we want to install a double-vanity.  This project will require all of the trades, adding some plumbing, new lighting locations, having to move the tub and tweak ductwork etc. So will get 2-3 bids and see what happens.

Kids' hall bath we want to update, but nothing needs added or moved.  Hoping that we can just paint the vanity and add new hardware and plumbing fixtures, along with new toilet, light fixtures, and paint.  Need to remove the tile and tub surround.  Not sure if need a new tub -- it is this ugly beige/almond and we want everything white, grey, and black in there now basically.

I am assuming the master will be like $60k-$70k, but I want to keep the kids' under $15k --- is this at all possible?

Don't know where you live but 60-70k seems high even for a nice big double vanity masterbath with high end finishes. That's closer to kitchen money with good appliances and you don't have those in a bathroom unless you've gone Japanese bidet-crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

Don't know where you live but 60-70k seems high even for a nice big double vanity masterbath with high end finishes. That's closer to kitchen money with good appliances and you don't have those in a bathroom unless you've gone Japanese bidet-crazy.

Outside of philly. Just see some issues moving/adding plumbing and ductwork that could cause a higher price. Would love to do both bathrooms for $60k or less. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, ChiefD said:

Just finished off our master bathroom. Small room - about 5’ x 12’ or so.

Here’s a video of the final product

I did all the work except the shower door - I’m too old to carry those large glass panels around. I did all the sheetrock, lighting, wiring, tiling, plumbing, trim work, painting, etc.

Finished it off with this door, which created much needed space inside the bathroom. I couldn’t do a pocket door due to ductwork in the walls.

Got a bid to do this work for about 14k - I did it for around 4k.

Turned out really nice, and I’ve also painted the entire inside of the house as well. I’m pooped.

Where did you get that door?  Wife wants to put a barn door for the utility room.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got done with full kitchen remodel including wall removal between kitchen and dining room. Did everything except the quartz countertops myself. In it for about 12 grand. 

Neighbor just did the same thing hiring everything out. Hes approaching 6 figures.  He did have a structural beam though and replaced the windows.  

Not sure I have enough before pics to do it justice. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got my HOA approval for new sod. Going with Pro Vista St. Augustine. 8 pallets worth is pricey, but it's also the last sod I ever put down in my yard. The installers should be stopping by in the next few days to go all scorched earth on what little grass I have left out there. Should be fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tonydead said:

Just got done with full kitchen remodel including wall removal between kitchen and dining room. Did everything except the quartz countertops myself. In it for about 12 grand. 

Neighbor just did the same thing hiring everything out. Hes approaching 6 figures.  He did have a structural beam though and replaced the windows.  

Not sure I have enough before pics to do it justice. 

We just did full kitchen remodel including wall removal (load bearing wall) and quartz countertops. Our total was $34k not counting appliances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Just got my HOA approval for new sod. Going with Pro Vista St. Augustine. 8 pallets worth is pricey, but it's also the last sod I ever put down in my yard. The installers should be stopping by in the next few days to go all scorched earth on what little grass I have left out there. Should be fun.

I gotta ask...why would an HOA need to approve replacing sod? Is there a reason I'm missing or is this a "because they can" type thing?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

I gotta ask...why would an HOA need to approve replacing sod? Is there a reason I'm missing or is this a "because they can" type thing?

Any change to the exterior of the house or the surrounding property requires an approval. There is sort of a scale of requests that is somewhat unwritten, but any major modification needs to be approved. We were approved in 3 days and didn't expect any issues whatsoever.

As reference, there is a house down from me where the homeowners decided to build a fence to the slope of the pond we all share. The problem is that the easement set up for landscape folks is now bisected by the fence. Lol. I saw some folks out there with a measuring tape this morning. It's easily 10-15 feet inside the easement and will have to be modified assuming they got permission for it in the first place. If not, it's coming out all together.

Edited by Osaurus
  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Super simple project this morning. Put in Waterdrop under sink filters for both master bath sinks. The company that makes them has done an awesome job of making all the connections as easy as possible. There's still contorting under the sink in the cabinet but way easier than it would have been with conventional fittings.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B083NR5DVY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The faucet and shower in my kids' bathroom take forever to heat up.  Other than insulating the pipes better, putting in a small, instant HW heater, what else can be done to speed up the delivery of hot water.  It takes 1 minute or more to get hot water or off the tap in that bathroom. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The faucet and shower in my kids' bathroom take forever to heat up.  Other than insulating the pipes better, putting in a small, instant HW heater, what else can be done to speed up the delivery of hot water.  It takes 1 minute or more to get hot water or off the tap in that bathroom. 

1 min doesn't seem bad to me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

The faucet and shower in my kids' bathroom take forever to heat up.  Other than insulating the pipes better, putting in a small, instant HW heater, what else can be done to speed up the delivery of hot water.  It takes 1 minute or more to get hot water or off the tap in that bathroom. 

You can put a recirculating pump on your hot water line 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remainder of “lawn” got sprayed today with industrial grass/weed killer. New sod going in Saturday morning. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two projects upcoming as I get some time off from work:

1. Build a dresser and shelves into our master closet where currently just a few shelves

2. Build a bookcase into the wall

Link to post
Share on other sites

My “meadow” is now gone and almost ready for new sod on Saturday. For reference, I replaced the front yard a while ago with Zoysia and it didn’t take. The side and back yards have always had Bahia which I loathe. This makes me very happy

Edited by Osaurus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...