What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

Spider-Man: Homecoming

If you want to know how bad the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel is, watch the new Spider-Man movie. This script is so much better. I enjoyed about every single thing in the new Spider-Man. Excellent cast, lots of humor throughout, and Michael Keaton is one of the best bad guys in any Marvel movie. Highly recommended. 

If you want to know how bad the Guardians of the Galaxy sequel is, watch the new Spider-Man movie. This script is so much better. I enjoyed about every single thing in the new Spider-Man. Excellent cast, lots of humor throughout, and Michael Keaton is one of the best bad guys in any Marvel movie. Highly recommended. 
They can't both be great movies? I wasn't sure I made a wise choice during the first 20 minutes of Spiderman. But it picked up from there.

Having seen all of the Marvel movies, I think Guardians Vol. 2 was by far the worst.
I'm betting you're quite in the minority with that opinion.

I thought it was a great "summer" movie.

It's way better than the dull/silly Thor movies and more fun than the "desperate to be enjoyed" Avengers movies.

It's way better than the dull/silly Thor movies and more fun than the "desperate to be enjoyed" Avengers movies.
I am comfortable being in the minority, especially when I'm right :)

For every Guardians Vol. 2 joke than landed there were 10 jokes that were awful. This script was not honed well. Trash panda isn't a joke, it's a meme. 

I thought the Avengers was terrible. All over the place. The 2nd one was actually better, but not by much. 

Avengers movies weren't the best but they were on a different planet than Guardians 2 (heh), which was OK overall but poor by Marvel standards. I agree with jdoggy that the comedic swings and misses stood out. I think there were more in that movie than in every other marvel movie combined. Instead of writing good, well timed jokes they just threw as many joke attempts as they could at the wall to see what would stick. 

Avengers movies weren't the best but they were on a different planet than Guardians 2 (heh), which was OK overall but poor by Marvel standards. I agree with jdoggy that the comedic swings and misses stood out. I think there were more in that movie than in every other marvel movie combined. Instead of writing good, well timed jokes they just threw as many joke attempts as they could at the wall to see what would stick. 
Exactly. The script was surprisingly weak.

I completely disagree, Homecoming felt like a kids movie geared toward Jonas Brothers fans. Guardians was hilarious and a lot for fun for adults.

Superhero movies suck.
Speaking of which... I watched Superman vs Batman last night. 2 and a half hours of slow internal anguish about how nobody likes them. Blah. Lex Luthor was annoying too.
The only good part was when Wonderwoman and Doomsday showed up and we got some decent action.

See, I love the 2 Thors. Thought the action was awesome and the comedy relief perfectly timed. :shrug:  

Really looking forward to Ragnarok. 

War Dogs

I really can't stand watching Jonah Hill, so I thought twice before investing two hours in this movie.  Glad I went ahead and watched it.  It's good.  And I like the way the story is told through the Miles Teller character.  I'm still not a fan of Jonah Hill, and I didn't really like him in this, but the movie was still much better than I expected, and worth recommending.

The Defiant Ones (HBO)

The story of Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine.  Great programming.  Enjoyed every bit of it.

For me it was one of those (short) series, that once I sat down to watch it, I didn't want to turn it off until it was over, and when it was over I was immediately ready to watch it a second time.

War Dogs

I really can't stand watching Jonah Hill, so I thought twice before investing two hours in this movie.  Glad I went ahead and watched it.  It's good.  And I like the way the story is told through the Miles Teller character.  I'm still not a fan of Jonah Hill, and I didn't really like him in this, but the movie was still much better than I expected, and worth recommending.
I do like Jonah Hill, but I had low expectations for this. But I really did like it and I'm glad I watched it.

Every once in awhile I feel like I am on another planet in here when it comes to a movie that it seems a lot of people like.  First GotG, then Mad Max, and last night I watched The Accountant.  A couple decent action scenes like using the belt, but mostly I just thought the movie was dumb and about 40mins too long.  I guess I didn't know much about it before watching, but come on - a Rain Man hitman?  Forced "romance" was bad, ending was bad, the premise was silly.  If you couldn't tell, I didn't like this one very much.  3/10. 

Every once in awhile I feel like I am on another planet in here when it comes to a movie that it seems a lot of people like.  First GotG, then Mad Max, and last night I watched The Accountant.  A couple decent action scenes like using the belt, but mostly I just thought the movie was dumb and about 40mins too long.  I guess I didn't know much about it before watching, but come on - a Rain Man hitman?  Forced "romance" was bad, ending was bad, the premise was silly.  If you couldn't tell, I didn't like this one very much.  3/10. 
You're going to take some heat for this.

I liked it more than you, but not anywhere near the same as these other guys.

This isn't the kind of movie I'd defend with my last breath. My enjoyment largely sprung from the fact that critics destroyed it and it's better than that.

I liked it, but it's not by any means great.

Full Metal Jacket

I know that Saving Private Ryan and Platoon are at the top of a lot of people's lists of best war movies. But for me, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now are the best in the genre. There are other contenders: Blackhawk Down, The Dirty Dozen, The Guns of Navarone, The Bridge Over River Kwai, etc. But for me, nothing captures the cruelty and terror of war like Full Metal Jacket. I don't know how a man like Kubrick was created, but his singular voice was years ahead of its time. Cold, merciless, funny, and tragic, Jacket feels about as real as a movie can get.

jdoggydogg said:
Full Metal Jacket

I know that Saving Private Ryan and Platoon are at the top of a lot of people's lists of best war movies. But for me, Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now are the best in the genre. There are other contenders: Blackhawk Down, The Dirty Dozen, The Guns of Navarone, The Bridge Over River Kwai, etc. But for me, nothing captures the cruelty and terror of war like Full Metal Jacket. I don't know how a man like Kubrick was created, but his singular voice was years ahead of its time. Cold, merciless, funny, and tragic, Jacket feels about as real as a movie can get.
Had a guy who was a Colonel in Viet Nam tell me that the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan was the closest thing to real war he'd ever seen, minus the smells. If you actually like Guns of Navarone, which I didn't, you should definitely see Where Eagles Dare. It's awesome sauce. 

jdoggydogg said:
Full Metal Jacket

Top 5 movie for me, and might be one of the most quotable movie too.  Never understood the complaints about the 2nd 1/2 of the movie as I think it's every bit as funny and a gut punch that the first part is.  Love it, and now you made me want to watch this tonight. 

jdoggydogg said:
Full Metal Jacket

Those are all very good. I would add Patton in there, which is my favorite.

KarmaPolice said:
I'm with you, although I liked it a little more. Decent enough but I don't get the love for it. I didn't really like the way Affleck played the character and it was definitely too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
jdoggydogg said:
Full Metal Jacket

Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan have something in common: great starts, ok finishes. I actually wouldn't put FMJ too high on Kubrick's list of great movies. I think my favorite war movies would be Apocalypse Now, Bridge on the River Kwai, Paths of Glory (the better Kubrick war film) and after just seeing it last week for the first time, The Big Parade might be there as well. 

What on earth didn't you like (just ok?) about the ending of SPR?  That was a fantastic battle scene.
Don't get me wrong- great movie and I like all of it. However, the opening storming of the beach is by far the peak of the movie. The first 20 minutes or whatever it is would be A+ film making. The rest is just solid B IMO. I didn't necessarily mean the ending itself, more like all of the movie that isn't the storming of the beach. 

To be fair, even Chandler himself didn't always know what was happening in the books he was writing. The plot is an afterthought. Which Chandler book do you most enjoy? For me, it is neck and neck between The Big Sleep and Farewell, My Lovely. 
Just watched The Big Sleep on a plane ride. Very enjoyable movie. 

One of the things that really struck me was how the characters interacted with each other. Most prominently, how much things have changed between men and women. Clearly women were second class citizens back then. 

But good movie. I liked it.

One of the things that really struck me was how the characters interacted with each other. Most prominently, how much things have changed between men and women. Clearly women were second class citizens back then. 

Yeah, not sure how often you watch older movies, but the 2nd class citizen thing really jumps off the screen in them. Women were basically treated a weird combination of sex objects and children. Have you read the book?

Yeah, not sure how often you watch older movies, but the 2nd class citizen thing really jumps off the screen in them. Women were basically treated a weird combination of sex objects and children. Have you read the book?
I don't watch a ton of older movies. And I've never read any Raymond Chandler books. Perhaps I should. You obviously like them?

I don't watch a ton of older movies. And I've never read any Raymond Chandler books. Perhaps I should. You obviously like them?
I do. It's basically the foundation for which every modern detective character/story has been built on. The stories are full of twists and turns, but they aren't really page turner whodunits. The investment is more in Marlowe (the lead character in all his books) and the quality of the writing. 

Don't get me wrong- great movie and I like all of it. However, the opening storming of the beach is by far the peak of the movie. The first 20 minutes or whatever it is would be A+ film making. The rest is just solid B IMO. I didn't necessarily mean the ending itself, more like all of the movie that isn't the storming of the beach. 
Mostly agree with this except that I think the last 30 minutes is also good filmmaking. When the Germans show up with their tanks it's hold your breath exciting and visceral.

The rest is just okay because it literally tries to cover too much ground. And features Ted Danson. 

I'm with you, although I liked it a little more. Decent enough but I don't get the love for it. I didn't really like the way Affleck played the character and it was definitely too long.
It is one of those things that sometimes I get a gnawing idea in my head at the start of the movie and it sticks there and really dampens my outlook on the movie.  That was the case here as I kept thinking that it felt like Ben was jealous of his bud Damon getting Kudos for Good Will, Mr. Ripley, and Bourne and tried to do them all in one movie. Combine that with the feeling that I had seen a lot of these scenes before - writing math on the windows, the kids training reminded me too much of Bloodsport and that's not a good thing, thought the twist was telegraphed, etc..     It really could have used more action and 30mins less of the movie to mask all the silliness since I thought some of the action and fights were pretty good. 

Now to steal and paraphrase from copeman:

"What on earth didn't you like (just ok?) about the ending of FMJ?  That was a fantastic battle/sniper scene." 

"She tried to sit in my lap while i was standing up" Adaptor/Screenwriter William Faulkner's best line ever.

Chandler is on my short list (Vonnegut, Dante, Dickens, Orwell, Dostoevsky) of favorite authors

Top 5 movie for me, and might be one of the most quotable movie too.  Never understood the complaints about the 2nd 1/2 of the movie as I think it's every bit as funny and a gut punch that the first part is.  Love it, and now you made me want to watch this tonight. 
Full Metal Jacket's on Netflix streaming.

Full Metal Jacket and Saving Private Ryan have something in common: great starts, ok finishes. I actually wouldn't put FMJ too high on Kubrick's list of great movies. I think my favorite war movies would be Apocalypse Now, Bridge on the River Kwai, Paths of Glory (the better Kubrick war film) and after just seeing it last week for the first time, The Big Parade might be there as well. 
Full Metal Jacket's my favorite Kubrick movie.

I'm a big audio fan when it comes to war movies.  If the sound isn't good, then it kind of takes me out of it.  By sound, I mean the sound of the gunshots, explosions, etc...

Many older war movies, even FMJ and Platoon, while good movies, the sounds of the guns really bother me.  Takes me out of the movie somewhat. 

The Wolfpack:

Interesting little doc about a family in NY that because of their father's odd beliefs, very rarely leave their apartment (they said some years 7-8 times, a one year they never left the place).  Doesn't really go anywhere specific or have a clean finale, but still fascinating.  The boys ended up killing time by watching a crap-load of movie and reenacting them, so I thought at least that aspect would be up people's alley around here.  Not the best doc I have seen, but well worth the watch.

The Wolfpack:

Interesting little doc about a family in NY that because of their father's odd beliefs, very rarely leave their apartment (they said some years 7-8 times, a one year they never left the place).  Doesn't really go anywhere specific or have a clean finale, but still fascinating.  The boys ended up killing time by watching a crap-load of movie and reenacting them, so I thought at least that aspect would be up people's alley around here.  Not the best doc I have seen, but well worth the watch.
I watched this again recently because I saw one of the bros as an extra in some other film was watching with my lady.  There's also a follow-up doc with them going out to Hollywood and having some meetings. One of them is a film maker or something.  

I think they're all great and odd and quirky and wish them all the best. Happy to see them out living normal lives. Good doc. 

I watched this again recently because I saw one of the bros as an extra in some other film was watching with my lady.  There's also a follow-up doc with them going out to Hollywood and having some meetings. One of them is a film maker or something.  

I think they're all great and odd and quirky and wish them all the best. Happy to see them out living normal lives. Good doc. 
I will have to look into this. 

Users who are viewing this thread