What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

Yeah, humans are never goofier than when they're singing and dancing.

I think I'd rather pass and just re-watch Topsy Turvy.
But that's the beauty - working past that. The seven years i've been working on my Alice-in-Manhattan movie musical have been the best and most fun work i've ever done and that's mostly because i can honestly say that all 23 tunes are ramped so that the breaking-into-song is completely natural each time. NOTHING more challenging & rewarding than making a song work that way.
The problem I have is that since the Simpsons nail musicals so well, I can hear the writers from that show every time I watch a musical now.

Planet of the Apes Musical

El Floppo said:
How old was everyone when you first saw the Exorcist?
15. Knew somebody at the theater it was showing at and me and three friends got in to see it.

Still think one of the scariest parts is when Regean was strapped down and they were running tests on her

It's not a lot of work, because i think about it regularly. A lot of it is just 'stuff' replacing achievement, much of it is the search for order & simplicity following a long period of cultural & social progress (i.e. chaos), but most of it has to do with our psychology not keeping up with our technology. We are two generations free from a world where most of our choices were made for us. Coinciding with our 'breaking out' from the old structures & archetypes was a barrage of new choices made possible by burgeoning technology. The combination has made us excited, confused, selfish, overwhelmed and ultimately unhappy. Unhappy, powerless people look for two things - easy victories & simple excuses. Most of our media has become focused, whether they're completely aware of it or not, of serving those yearnings as we continue to abstract our animal urges, psychic imcompleteness & old Judeo-Christian constructs into entertainment & fulfillment.
This is one of the most interesting posts I've seen on this board. I think you've nailed a couple of things here that relate to society in general, but more importantly, my personal mental/emotional state. I'm going to think about this some more, thanks for posting it.

This Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages is a freaking trip...about as creepy as it gets and lots of 1920s nudity

I loved Tucker and Dale. In fact, I need to watch it again.
The other one on these lines I also suggest to people is Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon.  Not quite as much on the comedy side, but one that blends the line well of poking fun of horror movies while also being a good horror movie like the others. 

Gr00vus said:
This is one of the most interesting posts I've seen on this board. I think you've nailed a couple of things here that relate to society in general, but more importantly, my personal mental/emotional state. I'm going to think about this some more, thanks for posting it.
Glad you appreciated it. I have much more to say on the subject when it's not falling on deaf ears or farting preachers. I'd also be happy take a PM if you want to talk specifics on how you find it personally relative.

Ilov80s said:
This Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages is a freaking trip...about as creepy as it gets and lots of 1920s nudity
I fell asleep to this the other night after you mentioned it. some crazy visuals in the reenactments fo sho. 

Glad you appreciated it. I have much more to say on the subject when it's not falling on deaf ears or farting preachers. I'd also be happy take a PM if you want to talk specifics on how you find it personally relative.
I haven't forgotten about this. I consciously and subconsciously avoid considering it as it causes me discomfort. At some point, I'll need to think it through if I want to have a more fulfilling life though. I've spent too much time numbing out, I feel like I'm avoiding life, not living it, and much of what you've said here is part of the brew that keeps me stagnant.

I haven't forgotten about this. I consciously and subconsciously avoid considering it as it causes me discomfort. At some point, I'll need to think it through if I want to have a more fulfilling life though. I've spent too much time numbing out, I feel like I'm avoiding life, not living it, and much of what you've said here is part of the brew that keeps me stagnant.
Well, it's not like i'm waiting @ the phone to save your frikkin life, but i can. For all my ramblings, i'm an Occum's Razor kinda guy in my life solutions. Happiness is easy, one simply has to decide to be happy to be so (i do have some reinforcement methods so you dont have to 'choose' happiness 400 separate times per day). The bugaboo is that one has to clear out significant unhappiness & things that drag one down for that to take & keep hold. But as any who've done it will tell you, the process is simple, if not easy.

One of the big differences between my system & others is that i do psychology the way the Roman Catholic Church did the calendar. As the Church subsumed the pagan calendar to make conversion user-friendly and rather than try to beat the Freud cartel, my system replaces the handslap, the timeout, the count-to-ten, the nightly prayers by which you learned your moral self with devices which help a person parent themself. "It hurts when i do that"/"So don't do that" is simply more medically valid than latency periods & Oedipal complexes.

But the biggest key to it all is that, because of a flaw in our evolutionary makeup, almost everyone believes deep down they dont deserve to be happy. I know why. To hijack no more of the thread than necessary, i invite any interested parties to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a lot of work, because i think about it regularly. A lot of it is just 'stuff' replacing achievement, much of it is the search for order & simplicity following a long period of cultural & social progress (i.e. chaos), but most of it has to do with our psychology not keeping up with our technology. We are two generations free from a world where most of our choices were made for us. Coinciding with our 'breaking out' from the old structures & archetypes was a barrage of new choices made possible by burgeoning technology. The combination has made us excited, confused, selfish, overwhelmed and ultimately unhappy. Unhappy, powerless people look for two things - easy victories & simple excuses. Most of our media has become focused, whether they're completely aware of it or not, of serving those yearnings as we continue to abstract our animal urges, psychic imcompleteness & old Judeo-Christian constructs into entertainment & fulfillment.
One of the reasons I liked Her is I think it touches on some of the issues you've outlined here.

wikkidpissah said:
Well, it's not like i'm waiting @ the phone to save your frikkin life, but i can. For all my ramblings, i'm an Occum's Razor kinda guy in my life solutions. Happiness is easy, one simply has to decide to be happy to be so (i do have some reinforcement methods so you dont have to 'choose' happiness 400 separate times per day). The bugaboo is that one has to clear out significant unhappiness & things that drag one down for that to take & keep hold. But as any who've done it will tell you, the process is simple, if not easy.

One of the big differences between my system & others is that i do psychology the way the Roman Catholic Church did the calendar. As the Church subsumed the pagan calendar to make conversion user-friendly and rather than try to beat the Freud cartel, my system replaces the handslap, the timeout, the count-to-ten, the nightly prayers by which you learned your moral self with devices which help a person parent themself. "It hurts when i do that"/"So don't do that" is simply more medically valid than latency periods & Oedipal complexes.

But the biggest key to it all is that, because of a flaw in our evolutionary makeup, almost everyone believes deep down they dont deserve to be happy. I know why. To hijack no more of the thread than necessary, i invite any interested parties to check it out.
After reading all of that, I think I need to watch a brainless Michael Bay film.

Reminds me of this quote:

“What we feel and think and are is to a great extent determined by the state of our ductless glands and viscera.”
~ Aldous Huxley
Well, to continue the hijack - which i feel OK about in this instance because i'm responding to the president of the thread - glandular runs a LOT of it, but the key is the conflict between the evolutionary levels of our brains now that some of us dont need all three levels singlemindedly pursuing survival. 85+% of our higher brain function is presently employed to indulge, mask & excuse (read: abstract) animal urges stuck in the neutral of ennui.

It's basically this - inside each of us is a masturbating, poop-throwing monkey and a pulsing computer capable of more combinations than there are atoms in this solar system. In EVERY SINGLE FRIKKIN HUMAN BEING i know, the ape is calling the tune. What's wrong with that, besides everythi...*splat*

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of this quote:

“What we feel and think and are is to a great extent determined by the state of our ductless glands and viscera.”
~ Aldous Huxley
Well, to continue the hijack - which i feel OK about in this instance because i'm responding to the president of the thread - glandular runs a LOT of it, but the key is the conflict between the evolutionary levels of our brains now that some of us dont need all three levels singlemindedly pursuing survival. 85+% of our higher brain function is presently employed to indulge, mask & excuse (read: abstract) animal urges stuck in the neutral of ennui.

It's basically this - inside each of us is a masturbating, poop-throwing monkey and a pulsing computer capable of more combinations than there are atoms in this solar system. In EVERY SINGLE FRIKKIN HUMAN BEING i know, the ape is calling the tune. What's wrong with that, besides everythi...*splat*
I think part of the problem is humans imagine they are better than animals.

Given the empirical evidence I've observed, animals are often better than people.

Bad Moms Christmas B

Some funny bits but had a hard time believing the male stripper would fall for Kathryn Hain.

But I think the movie where the moms (Sarandon, Baranski,Hines) go to Vegas should be made. That would be funny as hell.

@Ilov80s has stopped with the weekly TCM recommendations I noticed.   I think this week I have Rope, Streetcar Named Desire, Mean Streets and Citizen Kane set to record.

I finally got around to watching the movies from the channel that have piled up on my DVR.  Looked like a ton of them were from the 40s for whatever reason.  The last two nights I watched Gaslight and Call Northside 777.  I really liked both of them for different reasons.  Gaslight was all about the performance Ingrid Bergman.  I was entranced the whole time, even though there was no real mystery as to what was going on.  Call Northside was more about the story for me.  As much as I love Stewart in movies, he is basically always Jimmy Stewart, but I thought the way they progressed the story was good despite the "hooray newspapers!" voiceover ending.  

I have a ton of stuff to get to.  Off the top of my head I know The Big Sleep, It Happened Tomorrow, An Affair to Remember, Witness for the Prosecution, and Casablanca are on there.  

I also powered through Season 1 of Stranger Things (I don't have Netflix, so I got it on disc).  I would put it in the good to very good range, but I really didn't love the last episode and the way it all wrapped up.  To me the journey was better than the final destination I guess.  

Users who are viewing this thread