What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

A Ghost Story- Got suckered into this one thinking it was a horror film with decently good reviews.  It's a artsy film with Casey Affleck about a sheet ghost.  Has some loooong scenes where nothing really happens (5 minutes of a lady binging on pumpkin pie) and there was a good 30-40 min stretch with no dialog.  The ending is sort of okay and I suspect that that's where it gets the good reviews, my GF was super disappointed by it though. It thankfully came in at under 90 min but could've been wrapped up in 45. Some will probably like the pacing though.  

5 or 6 out of 10 for me
I wanted to like this movie and I am glad we live in a world where people have the freedom to make experimental films.

But I didn't make it that far and gave up.

Thor: Ragnarok >>>>>  Justice League

I'm not a fan of the super hero movies, but I'll go see them when the nephews and nieces ask us to take them.  The Justice League movie producers really need to take a step back and evaluate their movie making career. Thor wasn't a great movie, but it was funny and entertaining.  TJL - for the first half of the movie I had no idea what I was watching, for the second half I didn't care.
:yes:

Justice League was better than Batman v Superman, but that isn't saying much. That these two movies opened in the same month is apt. Thor shows us how to make a fun comic book movie, JL shows us how to make a dreary one.

A Ghost Story- Got suckered into this one thinking it was a horror film with decently good reviews.  It's a artsy film with Casey Affleck about a sheet ghost.  Has some loooong scenes where nothing really happens (5 minutes of a lady binging on pumpkin pie) and there was a good 30-40 min stretch with no dialog.  The ending is sort of okay and I suspect that that's where it gets the good reviews, my GF was super disappointed by it though. It thankfully came in at under 90 min but could've been wrapped up in 45. Some will probably like the pacing though.  

5 or 6 out of 10 for me

I wanted to like this movie and I am glad we live in a world where people have the freedom to make experimental films.

This one was really tough to make through.  Anybody who has ever complained about a Malick film taking too many nature walks will absolutely pull their hair out watching this.  Like I posted in my review a few pages back, I genuinely thought my bluray was skipping/pausing 2-3 times during this movie as we lingered on the same thing for uncomfortable stretches of time.  

This one was really tough to make through.  Anybody who has ever complained about a Malick film taking too many nature walks will absolutely pull their hair out watching this.  Like I posted in my review a few pages back, I genuinely thought my bluray was skipping/pausing 2-3 times during this movie as we lingered on the same thing for uncomfortable stretches of time.  
Ghost Story was incredibly slow. That said, this song from the film's marketing is pretty cool. 

My GF wanted to shut it off a few times, but we just FF'd some instead.   The absurdly long scenes reminded me of the new Blade Runner, but those were even unbearably longer because I already knew what was going to happen... but there were at least 3 times where we were like WTF, come on already

My GF wanted to shut it off a few times, but we just FF'd some instead.   The absurdly long scenes reminded me of the new Blade Runner, but those were even unbearably longer because I already knew what was going to happen... but there were at least 3 times where we were like WTF, come on already
I loved the new Blade Runner. Slow doesn't bother me, but the pacing in Ghost Story could only be described as glacial. 

Night and The City (1950)

Jules Dassin's London noir about an ambitious hustler who is clearly in over his head from the opening minutes of the film. Richard Widmark's protagonist is a born loser with an oversized ego and ambitions- he is just pathetic enough that we sympathize with him. The gorgeous Gene Tierney is also in the film but a lot less than I expected given her billing and level of fame. Widmark tries to hustle in on the local London gangers controlling the pro wrestling scene. He's mixed up the wrong way with gangsters, wrestlers, club owners and everyone else he comes across. There are no heroes, no good people in the film. It looks like Dassin's and the cinematographer set out to make the most noir looking noir every made as it's full of shots of seedy clubs, smokey bars, chases through dark corners and desolate cityscapes. It also has a pretty epic life or death wrestling match. If one is looking to check out some noir films beyond the usual suspects, this should be high on the list. 

Last edited by a moderator:
:bag:

Went into Justice League with VERY low expectations and it wound up being an ok time for me.  There's a lot of superhero stuff going on, I like Affleck Batman, and Gal Gadot is fantastic.  However, I can't recall a single thing about the movie to recommend you go see it.  It's not Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern bad, but don't go in thinking that you're going to see Olivier's Hamlet either.

Jules Dassin's London noir about an ambitious but hustler who is clearly in over his head from the opening minutes of the film. Richard Widmark's protagonist is a born loser with an oversized ego and ambitions- he is just pathetic enough that we sympathize with him. The gorgeous Gene Tierney is also in the film but a lot less than I expected given her billing and level of fame. Widmark tries to hustle in on the local London gangers controlling the pro wrestling scene. He's mixed up the wrong way with gangsters, wrestlers, club owners and everyone else he comes across. There are no heroes, no good people in the film. It looks like Dassin's and the cinematographer set out to make the most noir looking noir every made as it's full of shots of seedy clubs, smokey bars, chases through dark corners and desolate cityscapes. It also has a pretty epic life or death wrestling match. If one is looking to check out some noir films beyond the usual suspects, this should be high on the list. 
Great movie. 

:bag:

Went into Justice League with VERY low expectations and it wound up being an ok time for me.  There's a lot of superhero stuff going on, I like Affleck Batman, and Gal Gadot is fantastic.  However, I can't recall a single thing about the movie to recommend you go see it.  It's not Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern bad, but don't go in thinking that you're going to see Olivier's Hamlet either.
Yeah, my expectations were so low, it was decent all said and done.

I think the villain was the worst part. Utterly forgettable.

It's no "Out Of The Past" but it'll do.

I caught "D.O.A." on Amazon a couple weeks ago. That's a good, fast moving noir.
That one is cool. It has one of the most awesome opening hooks to any film with him going to the police station to report the murder. Raw Deal (1948) is another film of similar style and quality that I like a lot. 

jdoggydogg said:

This is the problem with so many superhero movies.  It's basically find weird object to defeat boring one note bad guy while cracking wise and posing for slo-mo action shots.   

IMO that was a main thing that elevated the newest Spidey - Keaton was so good.  

Ilov80s said:

Jules Dassin's London noir about an ambitious hustler who is clearly in over his head from the opening minutes of the film. Richard Widmark's protagonist is a born loser with an oversized ego and ambitions- he is just pathetic enough that we sympathize with him. The gorgeous Gene Tierney is also in the film but a lot less than I expected given her billing and level of fame. Widmark tries to hustle in on the local London gangers controlling the pro wrestling scene. He's mixed up the wrong way with gangsters, wrestlers, club owners and everyone else he comes across. There are no heroes, no good people in the film. It looks like Dassin's and the cinematographer set out to make the most noir looking noir every made as it's full of shots of seedy clubs, smokey bars, chases through dark corners and desolate cityscapes. It also has a pretty epic life or death wrestling match. If one is looking to check out some noir films beyond the usual suspects, this should be high on the list. 
this is one of my favorite films. Widmark is perfectly cast in this. He's just hammy enough as an actor - like a poor man's Kirk Douglas - to carry the entire film. The cinematography is textbook noir.

jdoggydogg said:

IMO that was a main thing that elevated the newest Spidey - Keaton was so good.  
Keaton was fantastic, as usual. I'm deciding that a human character is far more interesting than an omnipotent monster. Keaton's personality, flaws, and life experience made his villain one of the most intriguing I've seen in years.

Keaton was fantastic, as usual. I'm deciding that a human character is far more interesting than an omnipotent monster. Keaton's personality, flaws, and life experience made his villain one of the most intriguing I've seen in years.
This is the problem I have with the super hero movies as well as comic book shows like the walking dead. The second the humanity is replaced with super powers or goofy eyepatch wearing pancake flat evil, I lose all interest

This is the problem I have with the super hero movies as well as comic book shows like the walking dead. The second the humanity is replaced with super powers or goofy eyepatch wearing pancake flat evil, I lose all interest
I think this is why I liked Joaquin Phoenix so much in Gladiator. His weakness and his daddy issues make his villain that much more complex.

jdoggydogg said:

Reminded me of Ronan from Guardians of the galaxy. So one-dimension basically boring

Lady Bird A- Excellent acting, great story of a mother and daughter trying to make it through her senior year of high school.
Big fan of Greta Gerwig. haven't seen the movie yet, but the other day on NPR they played an audio clip where her mother is so annoying she jumps out of a moving car just to get away, and I think that's hilarious. 

In the Netflix thread someone mentioned Jeff Daniels which got me to thinking about a movie he directed, that we have up at my cousins cabin in Canada that we watch each year as a tradition.

Escanaba in da Moonlight

It starts off pretty good.. Father and sons get together each year to hunt.. One Son has never shot a deer and is considered a Jinx throughout the town...

Then about half way through it goes completely off.. and I mean...   :shock: :eek: :crazy: :loco:

and yet, oddly enough, there are many quotable lines and we still find ourselves laughing more then we should at it...

Remnar Soady: We've known each other since we was kids, Reuben.

Rueben Soady: We're brothers, Remnar

Remnar Soady: Hear me out.
But maybe that is just the Canada Air and :banned: talking.

The Heights Theater in Minneapolis has another great upcoming slate of noir movies on the calendar. I've seen Murder My Sweet and The Narrow Margin. Both are quite good.

INTO THE SHADOWS: RKO NOIR film series begins Thursday February 1, 2018 with..
"MURDER MY SWEET" (1944) - Thursday 2/1
"STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR" (1940) - Thursday 2/8
"CAT PEOPLE" (1942) - Thursday 2/15
"THEY LIVE BY NIGHT" (1948) - Thursday 2/22
"THE WINDOW" (1949) - Thursday 3/1
"THE NARROW MARGIN" (1952) - Thursday 3/8
"SUDDEN FEAR" (1952) -Thursday 3/15

So, when they finished The Great Wall, someone said to burn it, right?  Like at least one guy in the room, was like, yeah, Matt will sell tickets and the Asian market will probably love it, but let's just burn it so we are never on an IMDB page about, ok... great.  Here's a match... What do you mean no?

Right?

(The Asian woman who was the general was hot as the sun though.)
I saw this last night on HBO (even though I told my wife to watch it before I got home). One of the goofiest movies I've seen in a long time, but I didn't think it was bad; it just wasn't good. Mostly meh.

The Heights Theater in Minneapolis has another great upcoming slate of noir movies on the calendar. I've seen Murder My Sweet and The Narrow Margin. Both are quite good.

INTO THE SHADOWS: RKO NOIR film series begins Thursday February 1, 2018 with..
"MURDER MY SWEET" (1944) - Thursday 2/1
"STRANGER ON THE THIRD FLOOR" (1940) - Thursday 2/8
"CAT PEOPLE" (1942) - Thursday 2/15
"THEY LIVE BY NIGHT" (1948) - Thursday 2/22
"THE WINDOW" (1949) - Thursday 3/1
"THE NARROW MARGIN" (1952) - Thursday 3/8
"SUDDEN FEAR" (1952) -Thursday 3/15
I've heard of that place before, I have a couple theaters near me that play older films from time to time but nothing like that. 

The Narrow Margin and Sudden Fear are great low key noirs.

Has anyone seen Odds Against Tomorrow? That was a really well done noir/caper film.
Haven't. Good cast though.

Amazon has a bunch of noir films. Unfortunately a lot are of dubious quality. I really want to see Scarlet Street, for example, but it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy..

Haven't. Good cast though.

Amazon has a bunch of noir films. Unfortunately a lot are of dubious quality. I really want to see Scarlet Street, for example, but it looks like a copy of a copy of a copy..
It was interesting- had an interesting racial element. The cast and whole team behind the movie was 1st rate. Beautiful and smart film. 

As for all the noirs streaming, yeah they typically suck in quality. I just wait and DVR off TCM. Scarlet Street is exceptional. It comes on TCM every few months it seems. I'll keep an eye out for ya.

In the Netflix thread someone mentioned Jeff Daniels which got me to thinking about a movie he directed, that we have up at my cousins cabin in Canada that we watch each year as a tradition.

Escanaba in da Moonlight

It starts off pretty good.. Father and sons get together each year to hunt.. One Son has never shot a deer and is considered a Jinx throughout the town...

Then about half way through it goes completely off.. and I mean...   :shock: :eek: :crazy: :loco:

and yet, oddly enough, there are many quotable lines and we still find ourselves laughing more then we should at it...

But maybe that is just the Canada Air and :banned: talking.
:blackdot:

wikkidpissah said:
Well shot & put together (the great Dede Allen's 1st 'A' film), but kinda thin. Most notable for one of the great unknown (and, for all i know, incomplete) movie songs of all time, All Men Are Evil (3:38 of clip) - particularly apropos post-Weinstein.
Robert Ryan plays a hell of a racist cold *******. 

Has anyone seen a film presented in Dolby Vision?

Titanic is back in theaters with a DV/Atmos presentation which might just make it worth the nearly $20 price tag.

Besides...I like Titanic.

Northern Cali horror fans would like this:

Silver Scream Film and Comic Festival

This is a pretty sweet feature of the event:

2018 marks the 50th anniversary of George A. Romero’s landmark NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, and the Silver Scream Fest will be showing the brand new Criterion Collection edition for the very first time in a movie theater, accompanied by appearances by its producer, Russell Streiner, and many more members of the cast and crew.

Terminator:

Watched the original for the first time in a long time.  Sure, some of the f/x are looking rough and the synth soundtrack gets a bit much at times, but this is still one hell of a movie and I think it holds up quite well.  Just like Alien vs. Aliens having a completely different feel, Terminator plays as much like an 80s slasher movie as it does sci-fi.  It's also refreshing to watch action movies where you actually give 2 craps about the people in the movie and :shock: have a good female lead character that kicks ###. 

My son and I did watch a few of the comedy movies - he really liked Mrs. Doubtfire, liked Ferris Bueller, and couldn't make it all the way through Groundhog Day.  :shrug:   I think next on the list was Big.  We might get to that next week.  

My son and I did watch a few of the comedy movies - he really liked Mrs. Doubtfire, liked Ferris Bueller, and couldn't make it all the way through Groundhog Day.  :shrug:   I think next on the list was Big.  We might get to that next week.  
Big is still one of my favorite movies and had a big emotional effect on me when I first saw it. I was in my early 20's and reluctantly starting to feel like an adult instead of a kid in an adult world. I was still clinging to my childhood but the movie actually helped me in that transition, getting me to realize that you can grow up and still hold on to that inner child. It doesn't have to be a hum drum boring adult life. It's what I needed to hear at the time.

Terminator:

Watched the original for the first time in a long time.  Sure, some of the f/x are looking rough and the synth soundtrack gets a bit much at times, but this is still one hell of a movie and I think it holds up quite well.  Just like Alien vs. Aliens having a completely different feel, Terminator plays as much like an 80s slasher movie as it does sci-fi.  It's also refreshing to watch action movies where you actually give 2 craps about the people in the movie and :shock: have a good female lead character that kicks ###. 
My aunt considers it the greatest love story/movie ever.

3 movies I watched this weekend

Office Christmas Party  - it was better than I anticipated but like any movie they ruin it with too many previews.  Still found I enjoyed it overall. 2.5/5

Masterminds - i don't know why I did,  this movie was not good, but I loved it. Its a comedy based off an armor car robbery.  I had no idea what it was about.  3.5/5   

Kong Skull Island - I was waiting to think this movies was stupid. Man I was all in on this flick.  I enjoyed it a lot 4/5

Users who are viewing this thread