Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

3 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

17 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Any suggestions for comedy movies to watch with the 11 year old? 

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Trading Places
Midnight Run
Dumb and Dumber
My Cousin Vinny
We're No Angels (w/ DeNiro and Penn)

terry gilliam... time bandits and adventures of baron munchausen

• Like 1
  • Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• jdoggydogg

• Ilov80s

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

The Accountant.  I think this may have been a great movie.  I'm tempted to go there.

"When an actor comes to me and wants to discuss his character, I say, 'It's in the script.' If he says, 'But what's my motivation?, ' I say, 'Your salary.'" -Alfred Hitchcock

Thanks for the suggestions! There were quite a few that were on hold at the library, so the pile he gets to choose from is:

Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, Roger Rabbit, Groundhog Day, Ferris Bueller, Adventures in Babysitting, and Galaxy Quest

2 of those I haven't seen either.  

6 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Thanks for the suggestions! There were quite a few that were on hold at the library, so the pile he gets to choose from is:

Big, Mrs. Doubtfire, Roger Rabbit, Groundhog Day, Ferris Bueller, Adventures in Babysitting, and Galaxy Quest

2 of those I haven't seen either.  

Doubtfire and baby sitting?

8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I probably should have said 2 I haven't sat down and watched all the way through. Bits and pieces here and there enough to know the movie for the most part though.

Groundhog and Galaxy Quest

Whoa... Probably the best two.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

In what way?  Curious, not arguing - just noticed it was PG so I added it to the possible list.  

I think the humor and concept might be more geared towards the adult mind.... I remember reading some crazy/heavy analysis of it when it first came out. That said, there's no real sex, violence or appreciable cursing... So it's certainly appropriate

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I think the humor and concept might be more geared towards the adult mind.... I remember reading some crazy/heavy analysis of it when it first came out. That said, there's no real sex, violence or appreciable cursing... So it's certainly appropriate

Gotcha - thanks.  

On 11/20/2017 at 0:37 PM, Ilov80s said:

It sounds interesting both in premise and production. I will be curious how the brownface routine holds up though. 

I had trouble finishing The Party. Very dated and Peter Sellars character rubbed me the wrong way

• Like 3

Libeled Lady= William Powell + Jean Harlow + Myrna Loy + Tracy Spencer

A low key favorite of mine. I could watch them all drink and scheme and drop 1 liners all night. 

Watching Dead Man Walking again.  I swear I don’t think there’s another movie that moves me like this one does, and I’m not morally opposed to the death penalty.

So, when they finished The Great Wall, someone said to burn it, right?  Like at least one guy in the room, was like, yeah, Matt will sell tickets and the Asian market will probably love it, but let's just burn it so we are never on an IMDB page about, ok... great.  Here's a match... What do you mean no?

Right?

(The Asian woman who was the general was hot as the sun though.)

• Like 1

Blade Runner 2049.

Was just unnecessary.  The visuals/world creation are much better in the first one too.

It wasn't bad.  I was into it.  Just would never watch it again nor do I think you are missing anything if you skip it.

Who is this Ana de Armas?  Captivating eyes.  I was thinking the whole time I didn't remember Felicity Jones looking this hot.  Had to look up the cast to realize it was someone else.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I saw it in the theater when I was 11 and loved it. I saw most of the movies posted here when I was <12 years old- including Midnight Run, Beverely Hills Cop, Trading Places, etc. I enjoyed them all. Some of the humor definitely went over my head. I remember watching Ghostbusters again when I was 16 or 17 and realizing how many dirty jokes were in it and getting the whole sexual innuendo of gate keeper and key master. My parents would just tell me to cover my eyes when there was nudity (but I always peeked).  

• Like 1

Live By Night. 

This movie pissed me off. It had everything there to be a really good movie.  And I'm not an Affleck hater so it wasn't even him to me.  They skipped over what would be the most important part if the 5 stories they were trying to tell in one movie instead of telling one really good one.

1 minute ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Live By Night. 

This movie pissed me off. It had everything there to be a really good movie.  And I'm not an Affleck hater so it wasn't even him to me.  They skipped over what would be the most important part if the 5 stories they were trying to tell in one movie instead of telling one really good one.

I have that DVRd and might watch tonight. Those type of crime neo-noir novels offer suffer when made into movies for the reason you point out. There are so many threads to the story that it's impossible to get them into 1 movie and even if you could, the point of the book isn't often the resolution of the story threads as much as the ambiance and character interaction. Most movies can't be The Big Sleep and have an incoherent plot carried by cool characters and great scenes. 

31 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

they hate cans

This scene had an enormous impact on me. I'd had two comedy plays produced and a syndicated scripted comedy show on radio at the time and actually sold jokes to standups, so i pretty much considered myself a comedy writer but i didnt feel i really "got" what you could do with the funny til this. I had gotten a lot of accidental tail on the road with rock bands in the 70s but was still pretty much a kid. Since i was usually more sober than my "dates", i'd wake up before them and i found myself loving looking at these little angels, girls who might still be in high school who would have been sooooooo out of my league just a coupla years before and to whom i'd just done naughty naughty things just for being flimsily connected to musicians they liked. It became my thing, looking at girls while they selpt.

Now Steve Martin fell for his movie gf in The Jerk and i know why - i met Miss Peters in her 50s and her skin still looked like it had been painted by daVinci. And somehow he used that, that he had the kind of crush where you just want to look at them all the time, to create one of the silliest, realest, sweetest comedy scenes i've ever enjoyed. I learned so much from that scene that my comedy writing career went very soon to hell....

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

This scene had an enormous impact on me. I'd had two comedy plays produced and a syndicated scripted comedy show on radio at the time and actually sold jokes to standups, so i pretty much considered myself a comedy writer but i didnt feel i really "got" what you could do with the funny til this. I had gotten a lot of accidental tail on the road with rock bands in the 70s but was still pretty much a kid. Since i was usually more sober than my "dates", i'd wake up before them and i found myself loving looking at these little angels, girls who might still be in high school who would have been sooooooo out of my league just a coupla years before and to whom i'd just done naughty naughty things just for being flimsily connected to musicians they liked. It became my thing, looking at girls while they selpt.

Now Steve Martin fell for his movie gf in The Jerk and i know why - i met Miss Peters in her 50s and her skin still looked like it had been painted by daVinci. And somehow he used that, that he had the kind of crush where you just want to look at them all the time, to create one of the silliest, realest, sweetest comedy scenes i've ever enjoyed. I learned so much from that scene that my comedy writing career went very soon to hell....

forgot about that scene... fantastic. big fan of taking a silly idea all the way and then some, the way he did with the counting. (I just linked SNL's supercolon blow commercial yesterday- my favorite part where hartman is asked to keep guessing, and just guesses the next sequential number works like that for me)

my first day in NYC, roommate and I skipped the college orientation stuff and went down to the village. almost bumped into andy warhol when we got off the subway, and then immediately saw dizzy gillespie (standing outside the blue note) who told us we should see his show there that night when we approached him (we did). I assumed every day in the city was going to be just like that, but I didn't see another celeb for a week or two- and it was peters, shopping in some store like a normal person. this was '86, and I have no idea how old she was- but she was transcendentally gorgeous.. even knowing she was likely closer to my grandmother's age than mine.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

So, my "The Jerk" recommendation didnt get any callback in here. Is that a dead flick to y'all Xs &Ys?

I like The Jerk- really the entire Steve Martin catalogue. 

• Like 1

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Would you read that back to me? I'm afraid that might make me sound pompous to your readers. 

Olsen: 'My brilliant research in brain transplantation is unsurpassed, and will probably make my name live beyond eternity'. 

Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr: Well, that's all right. Take out the 'probably'. It makes me sound wishy-washy.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Pennies From Heaven?

I've been writing a movie musical for most of this decade (after a couple of reversals, a voice inside me said, "write your Wizard of Oz", so i did) and, in its course, i've studied "Pennies From Heaven" as much as Sondheim. I anticipated PFH being possibly the best movie ever made - Martin being on such a roll and deciding to use it make a musical with a point (the very best thing ever in my book) - and suffered its crash almost as much as the filmmakers did. It has become my cautionary tale as i try to make fun of the human race & keep em singin' at the same time

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

So, my "The Jerk" recommendation didnt get any callback in here. Is that a dead flick to y'all Xs &Ys?

That used to be my favorite Steve Martin movie as a kid.

As an adult, not so much. It ranks far below All Of Me, The Man With Two Brains, and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Mistress America

Noah Baumbach fans will like this movie. Hilarious college-life movie where a freshman girl is enamored with an older, sophisticated New Yorker played by Greta Gerwig. Not perfect, but I laughed out loud several times and that's enough for me to recommend this comedy.