What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

Just saw The Post- fantastic film and insanely relevant. I haven't seen many movies this year but I would expect it to be a favorite for Best Picture.
i was really disappointed. great cast wasted on a terrible script. Speilberg also can't help himself with how he uses music too. a great film buried in the story there but a missed opportunity by SS,

i was really disappointed. great cast wasted on a terrible script. Speilberg also can't help himself with how he uses music too. a great film buried in the story there but a missed opportunity by SS,
Surprised. Cast was very deep. Direction was ok- music and some bizarre shots- but what was wrong with the script? 

John Williams is a great composer, but having the same guy score every movie you make is a bad idea. Choosing a variety of stories to film is a good idea, the same applies to music.

Surprised. Cast was very deep. Direction was ok- music and some bizarre shots- but what was wrong with the script? 
i thought almost everything uttered by the cast - especially later in the film - was too "on the nose" and contrived. it was a story that could have been tackled by any number of different ways but failed in all of them.

John Williams is a great composer, but having the same guy score every movie you make is a bad idea. Choosing a variety of stories to film is a good idea, the same applies to music.
it's been one of my most consistent complaints about SS. he asks Williams to tell us how to feel as opposed to adding texture to any scene or moment. trust the audience maybe?

i thought almost everything uttered by the cast - especially later in the film - was too "on the nose" and contrived. it was a story that could have been tackled by any number of different ways but failed in all of them.

it's been one of my most consistent complaints about SS. he asks Williams to tell us how to feel as opposed to adding texture to any scene or moment. trust the audience maybe?
It's Spielberg so of course it is a bit heavy handed- that's just his style. It was successful in contextualizing recent history through a 2018 POV, the performances were all good and was super polished. A very good Spielberg film. 

Darkest Hour

Really is two hours of staring at a guy fidgeting with a cigar.  Came off like a showcase for an actor than a story that brought me in.

Makes sense why only Oldman is getting praise for this one.

Not that I expected greatness, but Kingsman 2 was horrible...I enjoyed the first one, for all it's stupid fun.  This thing:. "Hey, how do we take a decent budding franchise, get a bunch of big name cameos, and manage to fully eff up the whole thing?  We make Kingsman: The Golden Circle"

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. Nothing that happens in this movie is believable; it's downright cartoonish in parts. Still, I liked all of the characters, especially Sam Rockwell. I could watch a spin-off movie about him trying to keep various jobs and his mom giving him advise about career and love.

I know you are all talking about real cinema but I have to be honest...

.. The Fate of the Furious might be one of the best movies ever made.

Yup. 

Not kidding.

If you don't like these movies we can't be friends.

And just for the record,  the wife sat down with me and said, and I quote, I don't know if they can pull this off without Paul Walker.

They did.  

Wheelman is pretty entertaining. Finally we see a movie about a getaway driver that actually involves them driving most of the time. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely a fun time. Acted and executed well. 

I know you are all talking about real cinema but I have to be honest...

.. The Fate of the Furious might be one of the best movies ever made.

Yup. 

Not kidding.

If you don't like these movies we can't be friends.

And just for the record,  the wife sat down with me and said, and I quote, I don't know if they can pull this off without Paul Walker.

They did.  
Its not as good as 5, 6, 7 imo but still a fun ride

I'm on record as saying I find nothing redeemable in the furiously fast series. Only given a few minutes of a few of them a try... More than enough for me.

Glad you all enjoy them.

I'm on record as saying I find nothing redeemable in the furiously fast series. Only given a few minutes of a few of them a try... More than enough for me.

Glad you all enjoy them.
1 was pretty  solid

then they went off the rails with 2 and 3

4 started to reel it back in

5 on - they started to realize what the franchise actually is and built from there

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad you all enjoy them.
same for me. my boy keeps bugging me to watch them for our Saturday night movie night but he's too young. instead he just watches reruns of "Top Gear" and seems content enough for now.

Fandom of rasslin', hairbands, F-F-F-Furious (though still behind BttF as my #1 cinema 'huh?!')  all total brands of "incomplete person" in my book

Fandom of rasslin', hairbands, F-F-F-Furious (though still behind BttF as my #1 cinema 'huh?!')  all total brands of "incomplete person" in my book
Not a fan of "rasslin'"

No idea what you mean by hairbrands

No idea what BttF is (Back to the Future?  Are you knocking Back to the Future?)

I'm a very complete person.

The Fast and the Furious series is exactly what you want from that type of movie.  They know who they are and they nail it.  Right down to The Rock doing the Samoan battle dance at the beginning.  Hysterical in all its awesomeness.  

It's only weakness is that they killed off Gal Gadot.  Big mistake that.  They need to bring her back daytime soap style somehow for 9.

Not a fan of "rasslin'"

No idea what you mean by hairbrands

No idea what BttF is (Back to the Future?  Are you knocking Back to the Future?)

I'm a very complete person.

The Fast and the Furious series is exactly what you want from that type of movie.  They know who they are and they nail it.  Right down to The Rock doing the Samoan battle dance at the beginning.  Hysterical in all its awesomeness.  

It's only weakness is that they killed off Gal Gadot.  Big mistake that.  They need to bring her back daytime soap style somehow for 9.
enjoy

and, to rekindle the flame, what's wrong with judging. it's pretty much all we do & certainly something we all do. what i'm saying here is that patterns like enjoyment of the cartoon soap operas of rasslin & action movies and thumpetythump misogynous mindlessness of metal indicates a person with abject needs for vicarious resolution of his dominance issues and brands one as someone i should consider accordingly, same with wokeness or effeminate enthusiam or jingoism.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't (or at least try not too) - If you like Whiplash no skin off my back :shrug:
No skin off your back, but if somebody lists 4 or 5 movies that are their absolute faves that you hate, I am guessing there will be some sort of judgement.  I am not saying that you will think they are dumb, wrong, or a bad person, but at the very least they are somebody that you probably aren't going to trust for movie recommendations - and that's a judgement.  

and, to rekindle the flame, what's wrong with judging. it's pretty much all we do & certainly something we all do. what i'm saying here is that patterns like enjoyment of the cartoon soap operas of rasslin & action movies and thumpetythump misogynous mindlessness of metal indicates a person with abject needs for vicarious resolution of his dominance issues and brands one as someone i should consider accordingly, same with wokeness or effeminate enthusiam or jingoism.
I at least understood that first sentence.  ;)

No skin off your back, but if somebody lists 4 or 5 movies that are their absolute faves that you hate, I am guessing there will be some sort of judgement.  I am not saying that you will think they are dumb, wrong, or a bad person, but at the very least they are somebody that you probably aren't going to trust for movie recommendations - and that's a judgement.  
Well we have different definitions of judging.   I'd say we have different tastes.  I agree with your point but to me people are saying you like movie X then you must be a dumb/bad/whatever type of person.

But we can all agree people that like Super Hero Movies are complete idiots right ?  :P

Users who are viewing this thread