What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (15 Viewers)

Ready Player One looks like a mess.Not looking forward to that.

If you told me that it was directed by the Wachowski siblings, I would believe you. I reminds me of Speed Racer - and that's bad.
As someone that saw it, I can tell you it's not a mess. I saw it in RealD, so that enhanced the viewing experience a great deal for a visually intense movie like this. I've never heard of this before seeing it last week so I have nothing to compare it too. It's just a fun movie, don't expect Gone With The Wind.

As someone that saw it, I can tell you it's not a mess. I saw it in RealD, so that enhanced the viewing experience a great deal for a visually intense movie like this. I've never heard of this before seeing it last week so I have nothing to compare it too. It's just a fun movie, don't expect Gone With The Wind.
Glad to hear it!

EYLive said:
What’s realD?

American Assassin

meh.  Glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.  It's not the worst action thriller I've ever seen but it's one step away from one of those really bad direct to rental Bruce Willis flicks.

An "okay" time waster.  Very forgettable.

Been digging into some 2010 research for those other threads, so last night I watched the interesting double feature of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Black Swan.  

I think I am still processing my thoughts on both.  SP is one that I really didn't like the first time I saw it, but it seems to be growing on me a little bit more each time I watch it.  I still don't think I have fully embraced it yet.  BS I remember watching twice the same weekend when it came out (maybe even back to back?) and I still love it, but had a slightly different take on some parts this time around.  

Tonight I probably should get started on ones I haven't seen before. 

Darkest Hour

Tried to get to it before the awards season.  I really liked the movie. I did however like Dunkirk much more.

To say Gary Oldman was great is an understatement. I generally lost track that I was watching a performance.  
agree with everything here.  Well worth the watch.

The Green Inferno.

Cannibal horror film. A bunch of liberals go to save the rain forest and get eaten.  The movie is pretty stupid but they put some thought into the killings
I saw this too.   Not so sure though on,  "they put some thought into the killings".

I, Tonya

Loved this movie. Fantastic. I remember the media frenzy and the rush to paint Harding as the villain. But the tragedy is Tonya Harding was victimized her entire life. This movie is equal parts funny and painful. Interesting that there's a couple of seconds showing the OJ Simpson murder, because this movie is about poverty. If you're poor and uneducated, the cards are stacked against you. And if you're rich, you can get away with murder.

Been digging into some 2010 research for those other threads, so last night I watched the interesting double feature of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Black Swan.  

I think I am still processing my thoughts on both.  SP is one that I really didn't like the first time I saw it, but it seems to be growing on me a little bit more each time I watch it.  I still don't think I have fully embraced it yet.  BS I remember watching twice the same weekend when it came out (maybe even back to back?) and I still love it, but had a slightly different take on some parts this time around.  

Tonight I probably should get started on ones I haven't seen before. 
Tried watching Scott Pilgrim recently but bailed about 30 minutes in.  I enjoyed the premise but I just couldn't take that much Michael Cera.

Tried watching Scott Pilgrim recently but bailed about 30 minutes in.  I enjoyed the premise but I just couldn't take that much Michael Cera.
I could see that.  I think some of the side characters were better than him, and that probably kept me engaged in the movie initially, especially the Culkin brother.  I think falling in love with Arrested Development in between re-watches of this one helped a lot too, since I didn't like Cera much around the time of the first watch either.  

I could see that.  I think some of the side characters were better than him, and that probably kept me engaged in the movie initially, especially the Culkin brother.  I think falling in love with Arrested Development in between re-watches of this one helped a lot too, since I didn't like Cera much around the time of the first watch either.  
Loved Arrested Development and Cera's character, but watching two hours of George Michael was way more than I could handle.

Lady Bird - a veryvery big little movie. We really can't help much of the way we are, can we?!

Three Billboards - Contemptful & contemptible. I sorely wish Martin McDonagh could help the way he is....

Finally saw Shape of Water

Enjoyed the artwork (man that's a lot of green) and performances. Moved fast, good story, soundtrack fit really well.

My only minor complaint is that Del Toro does add bits of graphic violence that seems completely unnecessary (I felt the same way at the end of Pan's Labyrinth, which was also great).

I think of it as the opposite of 3 Billboards as it had likable and/or interesting characters, instead of angry, unlikable ones. 

Watched another 2010 movie last night - Cemetery Junction

It's not going to win any awards, but I ended up really liking this one.  I had never heard of it before looking up movies for that year and saw that R.Gervais and S. Merchant were involved so I gave it a whirl.   It also had actors I really like with E.Watson and  R.Fienes.   Just an all around good movie with some laughs and heart.  Not the best comparison, but maybe on the lines of a British Good Will Hunting with the mix of romance, humor, buddy flick, and drama?   Probably funnier, but less dramatic.  Great soundtrack too.  

wikkidpissah said:
Lady Bird - a veryvery big little movie. We really can't help much of the way we are, can we?!

Three Billboards - Contemptful & contemptible. I sorely wish Martin McDonagh could help the way he is....
Billboards was pretty disappointing.

I've been binging Halt and Catch Fire- partway through S3. A bit soap opera-ey at it's worst but fortunately, even that is done well. Love seeing the origins of the industry with the different archetypal characters. Realized that I was finding myself increasingly frustrated with Cameron, but then realized it was because they've written the autism-spectrum character so well. Really enjoying this.

I've been binging Halt and Catch Fire- partway through S3. A bit soap opera-ey at it's worst but fortunately, even that is done well. Love seeing the origins of the industry with the different archetypal characters. Realized that I was finding myself increasingly frustrated with Cameron, but then realized it was because they've written the autism-spectrum character so well. Really enjoying this.
Fantastic show.

Watched another 2010 movie last night - Cemetery Junction

It's not going to win any awards, but I ended up really liking this one.  I had never heard of it before looking up movies for that year and saw that R.Gervais and S. Merchant were involved so I gave it a whirl.   It also had actors I really like with E.Watson and  R.Fienes.   Just an all around good movie with some laughs and heart.  Not the best comparison, but maybe on the lines of a British Good Will Hunting with the mix of romance, humor, buddy flick, and drama?   Probably funnier, but less dramatic.  Great soundtrack too.  
Sounds interesting. What platform did you see this?

Just posted this in the Netflix thread by mistake... anybody else see it?

Just watched We Need To Talk About Kevin.... Odd combination of brutally frustrating yet compelling to watch. The frustration for me was from the NOT talking about Kevin, or anything else- Swintons character just avoids everything... which is maybe the point if how the core of the movie unfolds. The narrative structure was somewhat interesting- quick cuts and jumping in time and Swinton was fantastic in the role, even if the writing for her avoidance was frustrating. Brutal subject matter though- even if artfully covered

Patti Cake$

Wonderful movie about an overweight young lady that wants to be a hip hop star. If you liked 8 Mile, it's possible you'll like this movie. I enjoyed it immensely. Much like I, Tonya, it's a movie about struggling to break from anonymity and desperate poverty. Fantastic.

Isle of Dogs

A hilarious, visually-stunning movie. I sat in a large theater that was more than half full and almost no one laughed. I think the concession stand was offering free frontal lobotomies before the movie.

Isle of Dogs

A hilarious, visually-stunning movie. I sat in a large theater that was more than half full and almost no one laughed. I think the concession stand was offering free frontal lobotomies before the movie.
So the theater was filled with a bunch of KPs watching a Wes Anderson movie? ;)

Last night was a 2010 triple feature with Shutter Island, Super, and Never Let Me Go.  I had seen them all, but wanted to see how they held up for me.  One was OK, but doesn't hold up the best on a re-watch, one I remember liking when it came out but could barely get through this time, and one was every bit as good as I remember it being.  I will talk more when that poll fires up.  Tonight I really need to get to something else I haven't seen, but last night I just wasn't in the head space for a new flick.  

I Survived a Zombie Apocalypse - Free Showtime this weekend. Silly, campy zombie fun. I fast forwarded through a good part of it to get to the good stuff. It is what it is.

Flipping through the channels and I saw on TCM, The Prisoner of Second Avenue. Never heard of it but I like Jack Lemmon. I missed the first half hour but wow, it was so good I had to stop it so I could find it to watch from the beginning. Lemmon is insane in this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread