What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (8 Viewers)

Saw Hostiles yesterday. It was OK. But was expecting and wanting more. Good start, good Bale performance and good cinematography are the positives.

Watched it again last night.

Crowe's performance/character one of my all time favs.  Pantheon.

Spacey so good.  Pierce pulled off a difficult role.  

One of the best cast movies of all-time.  Perfect.
So did Devito, Cromwell and David Straightan(sp).

And yet,Kim Basinger, who was on the bottom of the list in acting performances,  won the Oscar.

Go Figure

So did Devito, Cromwell and David Straightan(sp).

And yet,Kim Basinger, who was on the bottom of the list in acting performances,  won the Oscar.

Go Figure
I'm not a Basinger fan, but she was great in it. 

I still think it's Crowe's best role and he wasn't even nominated!?  :rant:

Blade Runner 2049 was pretty good. The sound and the visuals were stunning. I was dumb not to have seen it in the theater. Just was a bit long imo. 

I actually do like a lot of the musicals- which I never would have thought a few years ago.
There is no point better made than in song, in the context of a larger show, and no artistic achievement more satisfying than making that point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Annihilation - 7.5/10

Movies as metaphor are really difficult to accomplish and I liked how this one did it. It's not a "sit back, disengage brain, enjoy" type movie. And people could be excused if it wasn't their thing or didn't "get" what it was trying to say. Was there a thread for this movie?

Lena could have easily escaped the lighthouse. Line up doppelganger with herself between it and the door...walk backwards. Voila! But then, escaping wasn't the point.

American Gangster

Saw this in the theater back in 2007. Didn't remember much. That makes sense, as it's mediocre. But Josh Brolin does play a good bad guy.

Annihilation - 7.5/10

Movies as metaphor are really difficult to accomplish and I liked how this one did it. It's not a "sit back, disengage brain, enjoy" type movie. And people could be excused if it wasn't their thing or didn't "get" what it was trying to say. Was there a thread for this movie?

Lena could have easily escaped the lighthouse. Line up doppelganger with herself between it and the door...walk backwards. Voila! But then, escaping wasn't the point.

Reveal hidden contents
I really did not like that book.

Andy Dufresne said:
Rififi - 8/10

A really good heist film... yet there's much more to it. 

Is there honor among thieves? Yes, yes there is. 

"I liked you. I really liked you, Cesar. But you know the rules."
The heist scene is one of the best scenes ever filmed. It's like a half hour with no music or dialogue and somehow it works perfeclty. 

Why? Not harshing, curious

On my part, I'm not inclined to take synchronized impossibilities nor self-important myth-making seriously & Ragnarok didn't either. Funny & satisfying human cartoon there.
Because the entire middle 1/3 of the movie is an amateurish drag. And the other 2/3 is all stuff we've seen a hundred times before.

Jeff Goldblum doing his Apartments.com Guy In Outer Space shtick was particularly embarrassing. 

The whole thing felt like a cynical money grab. 

Because the entire middle 1/3 of the movie is an amateurish drag. And the other 2/3 is all stuff we've seen a hundred times before.

Jeff Goldblum doing his Apartments.com Guy In Outer Space shtick was particularly embarrassing. 
yep - i'm a white guy talkin' rap here. no prob -

Why? Not harshing, curious

On my part, I'm not inclined to take synchronized impossibilities nor self-important myth-making seriously & Ragnarok didn't either. Funny & satisfying human cartoon there.
It's all just opinions and stuff.  

I like a majority of superhero movies and really dislike the Thor movies.  Just surprised me that somebody who usually hates them liked that one.  

I get what you are saying though.  Since its a 3rd in the series you miss the myth building, and it didn't have the "whole galaxy is in peril" trope you seen to hate.  I just find Thor's solo movies to be a bore.  

"Game Night" is a pretty fun movie. Pacing is mostly fine. Writing is good enough and acting is there to pick it up when it needs to. Rachel McAdams should do more comedy because she's very good at it. 

Annihilation - 7.5/10

Reveal hidden contents
I am on the other end of the spectrum on this one, and really disliked this movie.  It was to the point where I was bored, didn't care what the movie was trying to say, and thought the last 20mins or so of the movie were painful to get through. 

I was really looking forward to it too, since Ex Machina is one of the best movies of the decade so far IMO.  

Le Samouraï - 8/10

Cool, French New Wave minimalism. 

Do I have this right?...

Did the piano player set up Rey so that Jef could get his revenge and that's why he spared her at the end? 

Caught Secretary last night for the first time in a long time.

James Spader really can play a weirdo.  But Maggie was really, really good in this movie.  The acting here, for example, is worlds better than the ridiculously stupid 50 Shades movies while dealing with the same themes and doing so in a more real way.

Le Samouraï - 8/10

Do I have this right?...

Did the piano player set up Rey so that Jef could get his revenge and that's why he spared her at the end? 
I don't have the answer because all I remember olabout the film (seen on big screen) was that it looked great, I enjoyed it and Delon personified being a cool mofo.

Molly's Game was good.  It's a forgettable movie, but I liked it.  I liked Jessica Chastain in it, but I'm still far from being a fan of her work. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I just think she's an average at best actress.
Saw Molly's Game over the weekend. I thought Chastain and Elba acted well in it. Overall, the movie was just okay. I think it was a little drawn out and didn't need to go over 2 hours.  A few questions/comments:

1. Player X was Tobey McGuire, right? Has this been confirmed?

2. Why exactly did she get robbed/beat up by the Russian mobster? Did they think she was ratting them out?

3. On that note, she didn't seem to be too concerned for safety later when the prosecution wanted her to testify against the Russian mafia. She walking around outside like nothing.

4. In the earlier games, she was taking people on their word about having enough funds to play. WTF?

After thinking today about the great, smart, fantastic looking sci-fi that we have seen in the last several years with the new Blade Runner, Ex Machina, The Arrival - my hatred for Annihilation has grown over the past 20hours.  

Le Samouraï - 8/10

Do I have this right?...

Did the piano player set up Rey so that Jef could get his revenge and that's why he spared her at the end?  I don't think so. Jef goes to that guy's house and he offers him a contract to kill someone. It's never said who that is, but I think it was the piano player. 
I gave my answer in your spoilers

KarmaPolice said:
After thinking today about the great, smart, fantastic looking sci-fi that we have seen in the last several years with the new Blade Runner, Ex Machina, The Arrival - my hatred for Annihilation has grown over the past 20hours.  
I feel the same way about the TV show Westworld.  

Is it in the good camp or the junk camp?

I have been thinking about starting that one, but something has been keeping me from getting around to it.  
I've never seen an episode but here is what I have gathered from Twitter. S1 was awesome and just the type of show I would love. S2 sucked so bad.

I've never seen an episode but here is what I have gathered from Twitter. S1 was awesome and just the type of show I would love. S2 sucked so bad.
I've only seen S1, which was absolutely fantastic. Disappointed to hear S2 fell off so much.

Dunno why it just popped into my head, but I'd love to see The Prisoner again- and would recommend that to anyone who hasn't already.

So Succession on HBO is great, and Kieran Culkin is my new favorite actor.
did you see Infinity Baby? It was interesting to say the least. Available on Amazon prime video

Owing to a genetic mix-up involving stem cell research, the recently founded company Infinity Baby is able to offer a service for aspiring parents who never want to leave the baby bubble - infants that do not age.

Users who are viewing this thread