What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (15 Viewers)

my quick rankings would be

Strangelove, Clockwork, 2001, Shining, Paths, The Killing, Spartacus, Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita
Not off too much of mine besides Strangelove and FMJ just about flipping in the rankings and I would probably have EWS higher than most.  

For the first time in months, I missed my Tuesday afternoon movie in the theater :unsure:

Taking the weekend off so I had to work part day today

For my top 3, i am thinking movies that are endlessly rewatchable and enjoyable for me: Casablanca. The Apartment and Bringing Up Baby.
I haven't seen Bringing Up baby but am in the minority that thinks that Katherine Hepburn is overrated and often irritating.  Casablanca and The Apartment are both excellent.

I haven't seen Bringing Up baby but am in the minority that thinks that Katherine Hepburn is overrated and often irritating.  Casablanca and The Apartment are both excellent.
What have you seen her in? I don’t typically care for her in dramas as she’s just too stuffy, too New England. But she kills in her comedies with Grant and Stewart. 

What have you seen her in? I don’t typically care for her in dramas as she’s just too stuffy, too New England. But she kills in her comedies with Grant and Stewart. 
Various films (Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, On Golden Pond), but the one I didn't like her in was the old classic, The Philadelphia Story. I liked everyone but her in that. 

Chose the 1920 Barrymore version of Dr Jekyl. I’ve seen all 3 major versions and this is the best imo. Creepy as hell and asks questions of man that still resonate.

Various films (Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, On Golden Pond), but the one I didn't like her in was the old classic, The Philadelphia Story. I liked everyone but her in that. 
I think she’s set-up to be the “villain” in that film so im not sure how much she was supposed to be liked. It’s a very awful POV but part of the Hepburn draw was average women wanted to see someone who acted as if they were above the typical gender roles women were confined to get put in her place. Philadelphia Story is a good example of that. 

Bringing Up Baby isn’t, its just pure screwball comedy. Hepburn’s character is just absolutely insane. Instead of being put in her place by Grant or Stewart, she spends the whole film terrorizing Grant.

Last edited by a moderator:
embarrassing confession: i've never really liked screwball comedies. don't hate them, fully recognize what others see in them, but the staginess has almost always cancelled the funny for me

my quick rankings would be

Strangelove, Clockwork, 2001, Shining, Paths, The Killing, Spartacus, Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita
I think these are fairly interchangeable for me. they're each so good and distinct that it's hard to champion over one another. i recognize that i am in the minority here but Barry Lyndon is firmly #4. it sets out to do exactly what it wanted to do and is fantastic story telling. top shelf adaptation! 

wikkidpissah said:
embarrassing confession: i've never really liked screwball comedies. don't hate them, fully recognize what others see in them, but the staginess has almost always cancelled the funny for me
To each his own. Did you get a chance to watch A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix? The National Lampoon biopic? I wonder how that verges on your taste, because aside from some screwball comedy, the script is really sharp.

saintfool said:
I think these are fairly interchangeable for me. they're each so good and distinct that it's hard to champion over one another. i recognize that i am in the minority here but Barry Lyndon is firmly #4. it sets out to do exactly what it wanted to do and is fantastic story telling. top shelf adaptation! 
My issue with Lyndon is that Ryan O'Neal is really dull. It's a long slow movie and he just isn;t able to cary it imo. 

To each his own. Did you get a chance to watch A Futile and Stupid Gesture on Netflix? The National Lampoon biopic? I wonder how that verges on your taste, because aside from some screwball comedy, the script is really sharp.
Yeah, loved it. There could not be a more wheelhouse subject for me than Doug Kenney. Was juuuust a little bit late to the party to know the Lampoon guys but, as a result of backing into a job doing the funny on radio & writing for standups in the 70s, i got to know Ken Shapiro (Groove Tube - CChase's 1st collaborator), Jim Downey (SNL), Steve O'Donnell (SNL & Late Show) and their stories and the comedy modes they took away from those "founders" excited me with just how wide open comedy was for our gen. I mean human beings had been acting ridiculously stoopit for a million years without really making fun of themselves and we had full license to blow everything up. Only Swedish twins could be more liberating for human spirit & ingenuity. And Will Forte and the rest of the cast did a passable job of portraying what are icons to me. Only thing missing was one of their "Aristocrats" parties....

Yeah, loved it. There could not be a more wheelhouse subject for me than Doug Kenney. Was juuuust a little bit late to the party to know the Lampoon guys but, as a result of backing into a job doing the funny on radio & writing for standups in the 70s, i got to know Ken Shapiro (Groove Tube - CChase's 1st collaborator), Jim Downey (SNL), Steve O'Donnell (SNL & Late Show) and their stories and the comedy modes they took away from those "founders" excited me with just how wide open comedy was for our gen. I mean human beings had been acting ridiculously stoopit for a million years without really making fun of themselves and we had full license to blow everything up. Only Swedish twins could be more liberating for human spirit & ingenuity. And Will Forte and the rest of the cast did a passable job of portraying what are icons to me. Only thing missing was one of their "Aristocrats" parties....
I loved it, as well. The movie manages to be sweet without being manipulative. And it's really funny, which had it not been funny it would not have been a fitting tribute to these people.

It.

I am no longer anything remotely close to a horror fan.  At all.  But it was on, I couldn't sleep, and I read the book and loved it, coupled with the fact that Tim Curry's Pennywise was still memorable to me.

I guess it was good - again I don't like horror movies.  The jump scenes were pretty telegraphed, but that isn't to say that I didn't jump anyway.   The final scene in the well room with the bodies floating was very well done.  Given everything I probably will watch part two when it hits HBO.

Having said all of that - the kids were amazing.  I didn't realize that it was never getting to them being adults.  And I never needed it to - they were remarkably good in those roles. 

Creepiest scene in the entire movie was when the pudgy kid was first in the library and the librarian gave him the book on the town's history and then walked away - and you can see her standing in the back of the room looking at him like she is Pennywise.  That scene was brilliant.

Wouldn't have minded a Tim Curry appearance somewhere though.  Maybe an old creepy that kinda looks like he knows what is going on or something like that.  Would have been a nice nod.  I've already typed too much.

It.

I am no longer anything remotely close to a horror fan.  At all.  But it was on, I couldn't sleep, and I read the book and loved it, coupled with the fact that Tim Curry's Pennywise was still memorable to me.

I guess it was good - again I don't like horror movies.  The jump scenes were pretty telegraphed, but that isn't to say that I didn't jump anyway.   The final scene in the well room with the bodies floating was very well done.  Given everything I probably will watch part two when it hits HBO.

Having said all of that - the kids were amazing.  I didn't realize that it was never getting to them being adults.  And I never needed it to - they were remarkably good in those roles. 

Creepiest scene in the entire movie was when the pudgy kid was first in the library and the librarian gave him the book on the town's history and then walked away - and you can see her standing in the back of the room looking at him like she is Pennywise.  That scene was brilliant.

Wouldn't have minded a Tim Curry appearance somewhere though.  Maybe an old creepy that kinda looks like he knows what is going on or something like that.  Would have been a nice nod.  I've already typed too much.
Was miles better as a film than the '90s miniseries, though I don't like some of the (non)adaptation choices they made on the newer version.

As you said, the kid actors were really good.

Like the horror movie polls, I was thinking of doing an expanded month long #Noirvember movie battle? Any interest? Thoughts on how to run it?

From the BBC...BBC Culture’s 100 greatest foreign-language films.

I bolded the ones I've seen. I'd quibble with the location of a lot of these, but I genuinely liked/appreciated the ones I've seen and don't have a problem with any of them on the list. 

first omission that comes to mind- and especially with all those wong kar-wai films- is Fallen Angels, my favorite of his.

happy to see Wings of Desire, Yi-yi and Lives of Others up pretty high (I'd go higher with all three- all personal favorites).

Three years ago, BBC Culture ran its first major critics’ poll, to find the 100 greatest American films. Two further polls looked for the best films of the 21st Century and the greatest comedies ever made – and those also ended up with films from the US in the top spot.

This year, we felt it was time to direct the spotlight away from Hollywood and celebrate the best cinema from around the world. We asked critics to vote for their favourite movies made primarily in a language other than English. The result is BBC Culture’s 100 greatest foreign-language films.

Read more about BBC Culture’s 100 greatest foreign-language films:

-       What the critics had to say about the top 25
-       The full list of critics – and how they voted
-       Why Seven Samurai is number one
-       Foreign-language masterpieces you may not know

From the perspective of an English-language website, that’s an accurate description – but equally, as an internationally-focused one, we’re happy to acknowledge that, depending on who you are, many of these films won’t be in a language that’s foreign to you.

And as the poll exists to salute the extraordinary diversity and richness of films from all around the world, we wanted to ensure that its voters were from all around the world, too. The 209 critics who took part are from 43 different countries and speak a total of 41 languages – a range that sets our poll apart from any other.

The result: 100 films from 67 different directors, from 24 countries, and in 19 languages. French can claim to be the international language of acclaimed cinema: 27 of the highest-rated films were in French, followed by 12 in Mandarin, and 11 each in Italian and Japanese. At the other end of the scale, several languages were represented by just one film, such as Belarusian (Come and See), Romanian (4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days), and Wolof (Touki Bouki).

If there’s anything disappointing about the final list, it’s the paucity of films directed or co-directed by women. There are just four out of 100. But we made sure to contact as many female critics as male ones; of those who responded, 94 (45 per cent) were women.

One statistic we noted was that a quarter of the films on our list were East Asian: that is, 25 of them were made in Japan (11), China (6), Taiwan (4), Hong Kong (3) or South Korea (1). And the winning film, Seven Samurai, by the Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, was loved by critics everywhere – everywhere, that is, except for Japan. The six Japanese critics who voted didn’t go for a single Kurosawa film between them.

But it’s clear that culture isn’t bound by borders, and language needn’t be a barrier to enjoying great film-making. While the cinema of an individual nation is inevitably tied to its unique identity and history, the language of film is universal.

One more thing: the purpose of every BBC Culture film poll has always been to generate debate as well as encourage discovery. And we are aware that no list can be either definitive or please everyone – so get in touch using the hashtag #WorldFilm100 and let us know what’s missing. And look out for more BBC Culture features on the greatest in world cinema in the weeks to come.

100. Landscape in the Mist (Theo Angelopoulos, 1988)
99. Ashes and Diamonds (Andrzej Wajda, 1958)
98. In the Heat of the Sun (Jiang Wen, 1994)
97. Taste of Cherry (Abbas Kiarostami, 1997)
96. Shoah (Claude Lanzmann, 1985)
95. Floating Clouds (Mikio Naruse, 1955)
94. Where Is the Friend's Home? (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987)
93. Raise the Red Lantern (Zhang Yimou, 1991)
92. Scenes from a Marriage (Ingmar Bergman, 1973)
91. Rififi (Jules Dassin, 1955)
90. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959)
89. Wild Strawberries (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
88. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1939)
87. The Nights of Cabiria (Federico Fellini, 1957)
86. La Jetée (Chris Marker, 1962)
85. Umberto D (Vittorio de Sica, 1952)
84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Buñuel, 1972)
83. La Strada (Federico Fellini, 1954)
82. Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 2001)
81. Celine and Julie go Boating (Jacques Rivette, 1974)
80. The Young and the Damned (Luis Buñuel, 1950)
79. Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
78. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
77. The Conformist (Bernardo Bertolucci, 1970)
76. Y Tu Mamá También (Alfonso Cuarón, 2001)
75. Belle de Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967)
74. Pierrot Le Fou (Jean-Luc Godard, 1965)
73. Man with a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
72. Ikiru (Akira Kurosawa, 1952)
71. Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai, 1997)
70. L’Eclisse (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1962)
69. Amour (Michael Haneke, 2012)
68. Ugetsu (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1953)
67. The Exterminating Angel (Luis Buñuel, 1962)
66. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Rainer Werner Fassbinder, 1973)
65. Ordet (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1955)
64. Three Colours: Blue (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1993)
63. Spring in a Small Town (Fei Mu, 1948)
62. Touki Bouki (Djibril Diop Mambéty, 1973)
61. Sansho the Bailiff (Kenji Mizoguchi, 1954)
60. Contempt (Jean-Luc Godard, 1963)
59. Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985)
58. The Earrings of Madame de… (Max Ophüls, 1953)
57. Solaris (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1972)
56. Chungking Express (Wong Kar-wai, 1994)
55. Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962)
54. Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994)
53. Late Spring (Yasujirô Ozu, 1949)
52. Au Hasard Balthazar (Robert Bresson, 1966)
51. The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy, 1964)
50. L’Atalante (Jean Vigo, 1934)
49. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1979)
48. Viridiana (Luis Buñuel, 1961)
47. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (Cristian Mungiu, 2007)
46. Children of Paradise (Marcel Carné, 1945)
45. L’Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni, 1960)
44. Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnès Varda, 1962)
43. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 1999)
42. City of God (Fernando Meirelles, Kátia Lund, 2002)
41. To Live (Zhang Yimou, 1994)
40. Andrei Rublev (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1966)
39.  Close-Up (Abbas Kiarostami, 1990)
38. A Brighter Summer Day (Edward Yang, 1991)
37. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
36. La Grande Illusion (Jean Renoir, 1937)
35. The Leopard (Luchino Visconti, 1963)
34. Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)
33. Playtime (Jacques Tati, 1967)
32. All About My Mother (Pedro Almodóvar, 1999)
31. The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)
30. The Seventh Seal (Ingmar Bergman, 1957)
29. Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
28. Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982)
27. The Spirit of the Beehive (Victor Erice, 1973)
26. Cinema Paradiso (Giuseppe Tornatore, 1988)
25. Yi Yi (Edward Yang, 2000)
24. Battleship Potemkin (Sergei M Eisenstein, 1925)
23. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Carl Theodor Dreyer, 1928)
22. Pan’s Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)
21. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
20. The Mirror (Andrei Tarkovsky, 1974)
19. The Battle of Algiers (Gillo Pontecorvo, 1966)
18. A City of Sadness (Hou Hsiao-hsien, 1989)
17. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog, 1972)
16. Metropolis (Fritz Lang, 1927)
15. Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955)
14. Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels (Chantal Akerman, 1975)
13. M (Fritz Lang, 1931)
12. Farewell My Concubine (Chen Kaige, 1993)
11. Breathless (Jean-Luc Godard, 1960)
10. La Dolce Vita (Federico Fellini, 1960)
9. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
8. The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
7. 8 1/2 (Federico Fellini, 1963)
6. Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966)
5. The Rules of the Game (Jean Renoir, 1939)
4. Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, 1950)
3. Tokyo Story (Yasujirô Ozu, 1953)
2. Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio de Sica, 1948)
1. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954)

Bohemian Rhapsody B+. Lots of fun great performances and I loved most of the concert footage 

Mike Myers was an inspired choice for the record exec who didn't want Bohemian Rhapsody.

But the timeline bugged me. Fat Bottom Girls released during the first album? Huh
But that is nit-picky. A great fun movie 

From the BBC...BBC Culture’s 100 greatest foreign-language films.

I bolded the ones I've seen. I'd quibble with the location of a lot of these, but I genuinely liked/appreciated the ones I've seen and don't have a problem with any of them on the list. 

first omission that comes to mind- and especially with all those wong kar-wai films- is Fallen Angels, my favorite of his.

happy to see Wings of Desire, Yi-yi and Lives of Others up pretty high (I'd go higher with all three- all personal favorites).
Just looking at it, I have missed a lot of them but I have tried to watch more foreign movies recently. Here are my 10 favorite from the list:

The 400 Blows

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

Rififi 

Bicycle Thieves

Grand Illusion

Passion of Joan of Arc

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

La Strada

M

Amelie 

I guess I am sucker for the French

Finally saw All the Presidents Men. Good film and obviously quite relevant. That whole Pakula paranoia trilogy is awesome. Extra props to Gordon Willis who filmed it. Nobody had a better looking resume in the 70s than he did.

American Assassin

meh.  Glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.  It's not the worst action thriller I've ever seen but it's one step away from one of those really bad direct to rental Bruce Willis flicks.

An "okay" time waster.  Very forgettable.
Just watched this. Pretty good review. Michael Keaton seemed too good for the movie. Its very formulaic. But not horrible to watch.

Also - one thing that really annoys me in movies like this is when the guy who is completely reckless and emotional and puts everyone at risk is rewarded for that recklessness and ends up the hero.

ETA: In the words of Colonel Jessup - "We follow orders or men die."

The last 2 films I watched were Chappaquiddick and All The Money In The World.

Both were very well done, but now I despise all rich people.

Die Hard was at theaters today. Friends of mine through a Brunch Hard party. Incredible spread of food and drinks, full Christmas party and then the 12 of us went to see the movie in the theater. Such a fun time and a great way to start the Christmas season. 

Now: The Great Escape for Veterans Day

Just watched most of Gran Torino. What a load of crap.  :thumbdown:

It was so over-the-top I started laughing at parts
It’s super racist and like watching a crazy old grandfather but I liked it. I did take it as kind of half serious and half schtick though. 

Finally got around to watching The Girl with All the Gifts. Good original take on the zombie genre. Solid acting, very creepy, especially the beginning parts and unique ending. 3/5

Even though:

I didn't really care for the savage kid group out in the wild at first( reminded me of Star Trek - bonk bonk on the head!) but it did work with the ending they went with.

Ilov80s said:
Die Hard was at theaters today. Friends of mine through a Brunch Hard party. Incredible spread of food and drinks, full Christmas party and then the 12 of us went to see the movie in the theater. Such a fun time and a great way to start the Christmas season. 

Now: The Great Escape for Veterans Day
Ok, this change in avatar is really ####### with me.  

So I don't get the love for The Great Escape? It is very long. The shift in tone the last 30 minutes is bizarre (though that is the best part of the movie). The NAZI camp seems awfully nice and the NAZI guards are also very nice. That seems ridiculous. 

Can't talk anyone into seeing the Burt Reynolds double feature in theaters tomorrow:

Smokey and the Bandit II & Cannonball Run

ALERT!!! The transcendent Born Losers -  behind only Dr Strangelove and Brando's Mutiny on the Bounty as my favorite 60s flick - is on TCM @ 8pm tonite
Dang I missed it. I thought about DVRing it too just based on the synopsis but my DVR is bursting. 

Users who are viewing this thread