What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (11 Viewers)

Rocketman B-. Taron Edgerton was very good. And I loved the scene where he was creating the music for "Your Song".

But most of the rest was a mess

Just finished viewing the 4k of the Final Cut. What an amazing job they've done with the remastered video AND audio. Stellar.

One "click" I realized upon this viewing - when Willard is in his hotel at the beginning, he shares  the screen with an image of Buddha but with Willard separated and upside down - i.e. completely out of tune.

However after killing Kurtz he throws down his weapon, grabs Lance (in a savior type move - something he couldn't do for Chef) and then DOESNT call in the air strike. It is then that Willard is shown, not just upright but juxtaposed with the Buddha image. Thus, amidst all the chaos, does Willard overcome his circumstances and actually become a peacemaker.

Apocalypse Now is then, essentially, not really an anti-war movie but really a pro-humanity movie.
Interesting. Although I own the DVD, I hadn't watched it in years so I was excited to reunite with the movie. The thing I'd forgotten was that Willard is going to assassinate Kurtz because Kurtz is supposed to be insane. But in this world, everyone has lost their minds. 

Interesting. Although I own the DVD, I hadn't watched it in years so I was excited to reunite with the movie. The thing I'd forgotten was that Willard is going to assassinate Kurtz because Kurtz is supposed to be insane. But in this world, everyone has lost their minds. 
Was is, basically by definition insane. But it does maintain a certain morality.

I think Kurtz knew that he had gone too far and that Willard was his qualified executioner. The photojournalist tells Willard that Kurtz likes him and I think the reason why is that he sees that Willard has maintained a sense of morality. 

"Are my methods 'unsound', Willard?"

"I don't see...any 'method' at all here, sir."

Was is, basically by definition insane. But it does maintain a certain morality.

I think Kurtz knew that he had gone too far and that Willard was his qualified executioner. The photojournalist tells Willard that Kurtz likes him and I think the reason why is that he sees that Willard has maintained a sense of morality. 

"Are my methods 'unsound', Willard?"

"I don't see...any 'method' at all here, sir."
Agree about the sound and picture, by the way. Spectacular. 

Wish I could have gotten to see AN atvthe theater. I have a busy week but am really hoping to get to the theater for Lawrence of Arabia tomorrow.

I did not make it to LoA. This new job, wife’s birthday and standing up in wedding week hasn’t been too kind to my free time.

The Hummingbird Project

I really enjoyed this film. I’m not a fan of Jesse Eisenberg, but I thought he was terrific in this. A very well put together plot with a realistic ending which I greatly appreciated. Beautiful visuals throughout too. 4/5

Marjorie Prime - skip it

Free on Vudu. Based on a play. Interesting concept. Didn't really develop the theme of' "memories"" at all and at the end felt pretty pointless.

A treasure trove of movie classics on TCM tonite, for those who dont watch 9-11 commemorations.

6:15 Paths of Glory

8:00 12 Angry Men

9:45 Sweet Smell of Success

11:30 Night of the Hunter

1:15 Marty
Hard to believe that channel is commercial free and comes with basic cable. 

Saw Ready or Not in the theaters yesterday. Not sure what to expect

A woman marries into an Ultra Rich family. But she has to pass the ritual on her wedding night

Part Horror, part really dark comedy. Well worth watching

Gave it an A-

Hard to believe that channel is commercial free and comes with basic cable. 
i hear that, in many places, comcast dont give it but to HBO subscribers.

but TCM is right behind ESPN & corporate slimeballsuckassskullduggery as the reason cable bills are so high. ESPN was the 1st network with commercials to doubledip into charging fees to cable companies in order to be able to negotiate for TV contracts w major sports. TCM charged their subscription fees to the cable companies instead of consumers to pay for content. Sumner Redstone saw that & bought up USA, MTV, every popular cable channel he could get his hands on so he could block charge (You want your MTV, well you gotta take USA, A&E and a dozen soapyOprahbull#### channels, all w fees, to get it) and soon enough 500 cable channels were owned by 6 companies and our bills went from $29.95 to $150

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched Margin Call for the 8th? time. If you liked The Big Short this is a must watch.
This is 2008's crisis seen from inside a Wall street firm-with a twist. 

A treasure trove of movie classics on TCM tonite, for those who dont watch 9-11 commemorations.

6:15 Paths of Glory

8:00 12 Angry Men

9:45 Sweet Smell of Success

11:30 Night of the Hunter

1:15 Marty
Thanks for the tip!  Count me as another that hasn't seen Marty....yet

I watched Margin Call for the 8th? time. If you liked The Big Short this is a must watch.
This is 2008's crisis seen from inside a Wall street firm-with a twist. 
One of my favorite Jeremy Irons roles

"Who knows everything about these accounts?"

"Eric Dale, but he's no longer with the company and no one can locate him"

(Irons looks at his head of security) "Have Eric Dale in my office at 6:30"

"Yes sir"

I hated The Big Short but liked Margin Call.
I'm with you.  I didn't really enjoy the Big Short.  It was not a very realistic depiction of banks/money managers/the financial system, but rather a hollywood caricture of them.  I'm a fan of the book so I found the movie to be a letdown, especially given all the rave reviews.  It did have some funny parts though.

Margin Call on the other hand captured the essence of how banks/broker dealers and their trading floors were run during that time.  I was working at a large bank and trading with all the major bond desks throughout the financial crisis, and the tension and suspense in the movie felt real to me.

Essex Boys (2000)

Crime/mystery drama starring Tom Wilkinson as an evil man, Sean Bean as a thoroughly evil man, Alex Kingston as his (apparently) long-suffering wife, Charlie Creed-Miles as an innocent guy caught up in events way out of his control. Story moves right along, several plot twists, believable surprise ending, enough Alex Kingston skin and red hair. Surprised it didn't get better reviews. It's a good movie, not great.

Anybody else here use Kanopy?

I had never heard of it, but I guess it's linked through libraries and schools so you get 10 movies a month for free.  Lots of foreign, Criterion, award winning movies it looks like on first scan.   It also looks like you get unlimited access to Great Courses as well, which is pretty kick ###.   I was going to poke around with it more today, but seems pretty cool in theory.  

I had never heard of it, but I guess it's linked through libraries and schools so you get 10 movies a month for free.  Lots of foreign, Criterion, award winning movies it looks like on first scan.   It also looks like you get unlimited access to Great Courses as well, which is pretty kick ###.   I was going to poke around with it more today, but seems pretty cool in theory.  
No, but sounds interesting. Keep us updated.

KarmaPolice said:

Is it commercial free?

Is it commercial free?
LINK

I didn't see anything in there about commercials, just that you get 10 "credits" per month, and once you start a movie you have 3 days to watch.  

I will try to watch something in the next couple days to see for sure though.  A lot of interesting titles, if they are in fact all available currently.  

My "home" library wasn't listed, but I went to the one in the town I work at up the road and they switched it to be my home library so I could try it.  I had never heard of it until I was searching for movies to stream, and kept seeing Kanopy popping up for movies like the one on the list in the other thread - indies, Criterion, etc.. 

Tried Kanopy out and it my browser doesn't support playing copywritten content. I am not sure what that means. 

Arizona. 

I actually watched this entire movie thinking....it has to get better.....

Nope.

The A-Team extended director's cut with deleted scenes was fun though. 

I went to see Ad Astra yesterday.  Just bad.  There were certain things about this movie that made me angry.  Brad Pitt was decent enough but this movie is just not good

Part of the title of one of the movie pods I listen to a lot is "Ad Astra is a masterpiece".     I will chime in tomorrow after I get back, just interesting the first two reviews in here are very negative.  

Users who are viewing this thread