What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

About halfway through Annihilation.  Very interesting thus far.  Interested to see how it all wraps up.  

Watched Yellow Sky last night. Excellent. Cinematography was top notch, great shots of the landscape. Peck was great and Widmark his usual greedy bad guy self. The story was different for a western. Saw this after watching it - The western commenced a construction crew of over 150 men and women to build a ghost town in the desert near Lone Pine, California, by demolishing a movie set, called "Last Outpost", that Tom Mix had built in 1923
I saw a video of one of the kids of an actor who worked on a couple of westerns filmed at that location.  I can't recall who it was, that kid may have turned into an actor but they said that location with the incredible rock formations was a favorite.  

The scene of the outlaws slogging over that lake bed was filmed at Death Valley.  I've never seen anything like it on film and I believe it is no longer legal to do what they did with a full crew/lay tracks/make the sort  of disruptions they must have had to do in order to film at National Parks.  It may not be legal to film within a National Park other than an approved documentary/nature film.  I dunno but I've never seen anything like that scene and its incredible.

Love the character actors.  You mentioned Widmark and he's just great.  I think I saw that this part was his first big role.  So cynical and sarcastic, perfect foil to Peck's 'Stretch' role always taunting him about his interest in Ann Baxter (EDIT All About Eve).  Charles Kemper (Walrus) was soo good that I sought out other movies that he was in and he was also fantastic in another film but sadly he passed two years after Yellow Sky so we never got to see him add  to his work.  And you'll recognize Robert Arthur who would work with Peck in one of my all-time favorite WWII movies 12 O'Clock High.  He also worked with Kirk Douglas in Hole in the Wall (not one of my favs).  He didn't appear in many films but I think he stands out and he does in this flick.  Add Harry Morgan who is flawless as the dim witted Half Pint.  Great casting.  Fantastic locations.

This film would have gained recognition but it came out with Treasure of the Sierra Madre a film steam rolled the award season and stole the thunder from this movie that still  remains under rated.

Last edited by a moderator:
for fans of Japanese movies, TCM star of the month for April is Toshiro Mifune so the next several Wednesdays will be Japanese movie marathons, including Seven Samurai tonite @8 
I think am DVRing about 8 movies today. Drunken Angel, Stray Dog, Red Beard, Sanjuro, High and Low, Seven Samurai. and Yojimbo. Samurai is the only one I've seen. 

Oooo, I love Yojimbo and even more so High and Low.  Need to go set DVR!
Any fan of Japanese movies has to check out one of the greatest trilogys on film.  It seems like many movie fans have not heard of it.  I saw the entire trilogy a few years ago.  Its really powerful.

Wiki page explaining the trilogy.  >>>  The Human Condition (film series)

IMDB page of the first film > The Human Condition I: No Greater Love (1959)

Second film >>  The Human Condition II: Road to Eternity (1959)

Third >>>  The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer (1961)

I was able to find You Tube links a few years back to all of the movies but could only find one that still works.

>>  LINK  to First Film No Greater Love >>  📽️  >>   THE HUMAN CONDITION I. No Greater Love

I could only find poor quality links without English sub titles to the other two films but if you have not heard of this then you are missing an epic trilogy.  

Check it out.

About halfway through Annihilation.  Very interesting thus far.  Interested to see how it all wraps up.  
Finished it last night.  Ending was a little weird/confusing but it was a decent enough flick.  Filled up a couple nights for me, so there's that.

7/10

Finished it last night.  Ending was a little weird/confusing but it was a decent enough flick.  Filled up a couple nights for me, so there's that.

7/10
Super weird ending. Also I had a weird experience. I read the book and did not like it. However, the movie is wayyy different from the book and it bothered me. I guess there was no pleasing me. 

We watched Onward. (Free week of Disney+). Thanks for the heads up, @Capella

Not their best imo. No real laughs,  few real highs and more of a shift into Disney rinse/repeat story lines. 

That makes it sound terrible. It wasn't. but I don't think will be anywhere near their best. Also misses out on not being seen on a big screen too...looks like it was pretty fantastic in terms of visuals and world building.

Not their best imo. No real laughs,  few real highs and more of a shift into Disney rinse/repeat story lines. 

That makes it sound terrible. It wasn't. but I don't think will be anywhere near their best. Also misses out on not being seen on a big screen too...looks like it was pretty fantastic in terms of visuals and world building.
I fell asleep 45 minutes in. My wife (huge Disney fan) said it was very meh so unless my son demands it I’ll probably never finish it. 

Here’s what I’ve watched recently using the corona ratings system assuming you can see emojis:

Parasite - 🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠 - you need to see this. One of the best movies I’ve ever seen. 

Jojo Rabbit - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5 - would have been my favorite movie of the last year if not for parasite. 

Won’t You Be My Neighbor - 🦠🦠🦠🦠 - feel good Mister Rogers movie. Tom Hanks is awesome as you’d expect. 

1917 - 🦠🦠🦠🦠 - little thin plot but amazing cinematography, feels like you are in the middle of the war. I want to watch it again just to catch it all. Incredibly shot. 

Invisible Man - 🦠🦠🦠 - stupid scare movie that was fun but had plot holes you could drive a trailer truck through.

Ford v Ferrari - 🦠🦠🦠🦠 - great story and I’m a sucker for any period piece from the 60s. 

The Lighthouse - 🦠🦠🦠🦠.5 - I think I saw this pre-corona and it is absolutely terrifying. Shot in black and white and a smaller aspect rate so it really puts you in the turn of the century time period. Lot to discuss with this one if anybody has seen it.  

I fell asleep 45 minutes in. My wife (huge Disney fan) said it was very meh so unless my son demands it I’ll probably never finish it. 
I'm a Pixar fan, but meh is the right way of describing it in relation to the rest of their catalog. Aside from Disney tugging at heartstrings, didn't really go up or down enough...just drifted along. Writing didn't do any favors.

Pixar going into coast mode makes me sad.  

whoknew said:
Been waiting for it, but Angel has Fallen is finally on Netflix.

I am sure I'll get mocked, but I love the Fallen movies. All of them. I hope they make 100 more. Gerard Butler is awesome.
My son will be excited. 

whoknew said:

I am sure I'll get mocked, but I love the Fallen movies. All of them. I hope they make 100 more. Gerard Butler is awesome.
I can recognize that these are terrible, and yet still enjoy the hell out of them

I'm a Pixar fan, but meh is the right way of describing it in relation to the rest of their catalog. Aside from Disney tugging at heartstrings, didn't really go up or down enough...just drifted along. Writing didn't do any favors.
Yes I can’t think of a Pixar movie I openly disliked. This one just didn’t take off for me. Shame. 

Yeah it was just ok, nothing really memorable.  Big fan of Pixar going the THICC mom route lately though 

whoknew said:

Halfway in and :excited:

Just suffered through It Chapter 2, which was an abomination. 
It really was bad.   Part 1 was OK, mostly because of the kids, but there was 0 chemistry with the adults here, and it just got tedious watching them all separate and go on their treasure hunts.  So much CGI silliness.   Even part for part 1, it was sad that the scariest parts of the movie were the real life adults in their lives and not the evil clown that's supposed to be the big bad.  

Haven’t seen it yet but Parasite is on Hulu now
Also on Hulu is Portrait of a Lady on Fire, which seems to get a lot of high praise as well.  I added that one and plan to watch soon. 

Been trying to switch between my usual fare and I loaded up on lighter stuff to- a lot of 80s/90s action in the queue: Die Hards, Matrix trilogy, Bad Boys, etc... 

Super weird ending. Also I had a weird experience. I read the book and did not like it. However, the movie is wayyy different from the book and it bothered me. I guess there was no pleasing me. 
I enjoyed it a lot more than the book, which I thought was good but really stilted and hard to get into. Although to be fair to do the book justice you'd need to do some kind of HBO/Netflix miniseries rather than a movie.
Movie itself was beautiful, slow boil creepy, but nothing special. Guess I was hoping for a high concept sci-fi think-piece like Ex Machina.

Movies and art are subjective. I’ve seen lots of critics lists with Under the Skin on their best of the decade lists but it just didn’t do anything for me. Anything I say about it is in jest.

I saw it in the theaters when it came out... I was 13 or so. I enjoyed it back then... IIRC, boobs/sex and the music/vibe... even though I remember it being slight and silly and low-budget. haven't seen it since.  

but since I didn't get the plot, I must be wrong about a succubus alien luring men with sex being similar.

I see you like throwing rocks from your ivory tower but maybe you can help a moron like me.

Need help explaining why you pimped this one.

LIQUID SKY: Chicken woman
The ivory tower gang coming for bracie

Hearts Beat Loud

Really liked this one - it's on Hulu.   Just a nice father/daughter story with some good music and the connection of music with people.  It's PG-13 so probably pretty safe for a family movie night during quarantine.   Gotta love the Nick Offerman scowl.  

Amores Perros- 

Oh I know a little Spanish, looks like this movie is something about loving dogs- that sounds lovely. 

:presses play:

Oh this is actually about about killing dogs and people and more dogs and more people. Basically the grimmest #### ever. Very good movie but it took 5 years off my life. 

Rambo: Last Blood - Its on Prime now.  Basically John Rambo combined with a Taken/Man on Fire vibe. He sure did learn a lot from the Vietcong. Highly entertaining (for you know, a really dumb super gory action flick).

ETA: It was really terrible. The worst Rambo movie. But lots of action.

Rambo: Last Blood - Its on Prime now.  Basically John Rambo combined with a Taken/Man on Fire vibe. He sure did learn a lot from the Vietcong. Highly entertaining (for you know, a really dumb super gory action flick).

ETA: It was really terrible. The worst Rambo movie. But lots of action.

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/rambo-last-blood-movie-review-2019

As the film opens, Rambo is living a tranquil life on his ranch in Arizona, where he now spends his time training horses, doting upon his adopted family, Maria (Adriana Barraza) and her college-age granddaughter Gabrielle (Yvette Monreal), sitting on the porch in his rocking chair, perhaps contemplating how his actions in “Rambo III” might have helped lead to the formation of the Taliban. Okay, maybe it isn’t entirely tranquil—he is taking tons of pills to combat PTSD, he has an elaborate underground tunnel system that he has dug out beneath his house (the perfect location for the occasional Nam flashback) and he confesses to Gabrielle at one point that, in regards to his inner rage, “I’m just trying to keep a lid on it.” Having tracked down her long-lost father to Mexico, Gabrielle wants to go down to see him and understand why he left years earlier. Rambo tries to warn her that it is pretty much the most horrible cesspool on Earth, but you know these spunky college-bound girls with bright futures seemingly ahead of them. Approximately nine minutes after crossing the border, she is kidnapped and drugged by a sex-trafficking ring headed by the fearsome Martinez brothers, Victor (Oscar Jaenada) and Hugo (Sergio Peris-Mencheta).

When Rambo gets the news that Gabrielle has gone off to Mexico, he goes off in pursuit, but his first encounter with the Martinez gang ends with him brutally beaten and left for dead in an alley with a brand-new scar carved into his face. He is rescued by Carmen (Paz Vega), an “independent journalist” who is there to tend to his wounds and offer necessary exposition. Upon healing, Rambo returns to the Martinez joint to rescue Gabrielle in what feels like an even more violent homage to the already grisly climax of the slightly better “Taxi Driver.” This, as it turns out, is all prelude to the film’s climax, where hordes of Mexican killers turn up at Rambo’s ranch armed to the teeth and out for blood, only to discover that he has given his tunnels a “Home Alone”-style makeover by rigging it with booby traps. All so that he can go after them with arrows, knives, sawed-off shotguns, spikes, mines and, perhaps most cruel of them all, the sound of The Doors doing “Five to One” over a loudspeaker in clear violation of the Geneva Conventions.

Taken simply on its own merits, “Rambo: Last Blood” is an undeniably awful movie. While the previous installment may have brought to mind many of the cheapo “Rambo” knockoffs produced in the ‘80s by Cannon Films and featuring the likes of Chuck Norris or Michael Dudikoff, this one feels more like a direct-to-video item that inexplicably made it to multiplexes. The screenplay by Stallone and Matthew Cirulnick is an unforgivably clunky work in which even the most rudimentary of plot points have been cast aside, the dialogue is embarrassingly heavy-handed (“I want them to know that death is coming”) and the kinetic thrills that made “Rambo: First Blood Part II” watchable have been replaced by over-the-top carnage (made even less effective by the over-reliance on CGI gore). Behind the camera, Adrian Grunberg (who previously did “Get the Gringo,” a south-of-the-border sleazefest that was made with a certain style and wit) is clearly directing this by the numbers, but, based on the overly dark visual style and clumsy staging, he never gets out of the single digits. Yes, some of the insanely gory bits during the final stretch are amusing in a sick way but even those moments are too little and way too late to help matters much.

Ilov80s said:
Amores Perros- 

Oh I know a little Spanish, looks like this movie is something about loving dogs- that sounds lovely. 

:presses play:

Oh this is actually about about killing dogs and people and more dogs and more people. Basically the grimmest #### ever. Very good movie but it took 5 years off my life. 
Said it before, but this was my gateway to foreign movies.  Still remains a sentimental favorite. 

Users who are viewing this thread