What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (12 Viewers)

you nailed it.  this movie was just fun.
I was listening to the /Flimcast interview with Rian Johnson and I was happy and disappointed that he said he started in on more adventures of Benoi Blanc right away.  Would be good if he could capture this magic again, but the reason I liked this was it wasn't a sequel.

Watched a couple today:

Knives Out - I had a blast with this one.  Just good to see a fun, well written, well made movie that not's an existing property or remake.  Just a fun genre, and I loved that he made it so you were actually rooting against the detective to figure out what was going on.   Fun cast too.   7.5/10

you nailed it.  this movie was just fun.
I had higher expectations.  Overall it was a decent movie but I expected it to be better.  It was just a little slow at some points.  I plan to watch it again at some point and hope that it was more my expectations going in than the movie itself as to why I was disappointed.

Last night I also watched Ready or Not.   It was an OK ride, I guess.  Just like my comment about Knives Out - we for sure need more original movies in the theaters doing well, so on that note I give it thumbs up.  For me it stepped over that line of being more commentary, less horror movie that I really don't like.  It's a fine line, but this one hammered it a tad too much.  I don't watch that many horror movies any more, but with stuff like this and Us/Get Out, I am not sure I like that trend.   More scares, please.   Still worth a watch - I thought Samara Weaving was great in it.  

I had higher expectations.  Overall it was a decent movie but I expected it to be better.  It was just a little slow at some points.  I plan to watch it again at some point and hope that it was more my expectations going in than the movie itself as to why I was disappointed.
I will fully admit that I thought it could have shaved 20mins or so off the movie, as it felt a tad long, but I still had a blast with it.  

JAWS

I had to do it- perfect summer movie as we round on the 4th of July that just gets better and better.   Now, even more fitting as we argue about if we should open the beaches or not... 

Would have made a perfect movie club movie, but I wasn't even thinking of the tie ins to the current affairs until the movie started.  

Bought the 4K disc of Jaws - it's phenomenal. The movie still holds up.

With theaters reopening, they're showing a lot of other movies. We went to Back To The  Future last week and it was awesome, as always. Will see my all-time favorite movie E.T. later this week.

Went to Jurassic Park last night and was shocked to find - it no longer holds up for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it but the cool parts seem no longer enough to ever come the dumb parts. Made me a little sad.

Andy Dufresne said:

With theaters reopening, they're showing a lot of other movies. We went to Back To The  Future last week and it was awesome, as always. Will see my all-time favorite movie E.T. later this week.

Went to Jurassic Park last night and was shocked to find - it no longer holds up for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it but the cool parts seem no longer enough to ever come the dumb parts. Made me a little sad.
Where do you live that has theaters reopening?

Last night I also watched Ready or Not.   It was an OK ride, I guess.  Just like my comment about Knives Out - we for sure need more original movies in the theaters doing well, so on that note I give it thumbs up.  For me it stepped over that line of being more commentary, less horror movie that I really don't like.  It's a fine line, but this one hammered it a tad too much.  I don't watch that many horror movies any more, but with stuff like this and Us/Get Out, I am not sure I like that trend.   More scares, please.   Still worth a watch - I thought Samara Weaving was great in it.  
I really liked this movie.  It was a comedy horror so not meant to be taken literally. 

I’d put it in my personal top 20 of the past year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched a couple today:

Knives Out - I had a blast with this one.  Just good to see a fun, well written, well made movie that not's an existing property or remake.  Just a fun genre, and I loved that he made it so you were actually rooting against the detective to figure out what was going on.   Fun cast too.   7.5/10

Impractical Jokers:  The Movie - yeah, this was a piece of ####.   Basically just 1 episodes worth of contests enveloped around 1hour+ of crap.   I actually like most of the episodes I've seen, so figured this would be a laugh with the kid today, but basically we just FFD through most of the movie after awhile and just watched the little bit of content there was.   About the only thing we laughed at was Q's parents and the Atlanta Hawks interviews.  2/10
Knives out was great...another one of my personal top 20 from the past year. 

I’m sure it’s been mentioned but “The Gentleman” is my favorite film of the year. 

Check it out if you’re looking for a good flick. 

Andy Dufresne said:

Tried to watch the original Jurassic Park the other day.. You are correct, it didn't hold up well. :yawn:

Watched two movies today.

You Should Have Left - a haunted house story. I don’t usually like these, but in this case... I still don’t like these.

Doctor Sleep - Sequel to the Shining. It’s greatest sin is that it is forgettable.

Total opposite opinion from me. Jurassic Park still is awesome imo and it holds up really well. I also think one of things that makes it work the best is that it’s not all CGI. They built actually animatronic dinosaurs for many of the key scenes. CGI can’t replace the presence an actual object has on screen.

Total opposite opinion from me. Jurassic Park still is awesome imo and it holds up really well. I also think one of things that makes it work the best is that it’s not all CGI. They built actually animatronic dinosaurs for many of the key scenes. CGI can’t replace the presence an actual object has on screen.
agree.  I can still enjoy Jurassic Park

Oooooh...I remembered I had Spirited Away on my laptop- had never seen the whole thing, and my daughter had never seen it. So good. Wish we had seen it in a theater together (it gets shown in NYC every now and then...more then than now of course). And damn, her parents are awful.

I really liked this movie.  It was a comedy horror so not meant to be taken literally. 

I’d put it in my personal top 20 of the past year. 
I've seen it called that, but didn't think it was that funny either.  

Maybe it's just me, but just feel like a lot of the new wave of horror go too much for the social commentary and less on the creepiness and scares.  

Yeah, whole lotta wrong here with people bagging on Jurassic Park.  I still think it looks great and holds up better than movies around that time that started in with heavier GCI.  
It's not even the effects that are the problem - they're still great. The practical effect T-Rex is still amazing.

But the cool parts aren't cool enough to cover for the many, many annoying parts.

It's not even the effects that are the problem - they're still great. The practical effect T-Rex is still amazing.

But the cool parts aren't cool enough to cover for the many, many annoying parts.
I think I know what you are getting at, but what are the annoying parts that you are talking about?  I agree the kids can be a bit much at times.  

Also, after thinking about this a bit more I do think that Jaws and JP are a little bit on the opposite ends of the blockbuster spectrum for me.   Jaws is great mostly because of the story, acting, and the way the shots are set up.  The shark looks like dog####, but it's also in the movie so little.   JP is more on the "big, dumb" f/x spectacle end of the spectrum for me.  Yeah, a fair amount of dumb #### is going on, but it is still fun as hell and looks great.  

Jaws has slowly climbed into my top all time movies over the last decade or so.  Not sure if JP is quite to that level, but I guess I forgive the cheesiness more than you do in favor of one of the last great blockbusters that blended the practical and CGI so damn well.  

I think I know what you are getting at, but what are the annoying parts that you are talking about?  I agree the kids can be a bit much at times.  
I'm petty so it's a bunch of little things that would probably be considered "sleight of hand" in constructing a movie, but after you've seen it about 20 times you just can't look past it anymore.

The beginning scene - guy has to manually lift a gate that in any other situation would be operated by a button? Why? So he can get eaten, that's why.

Genarro & Juanito are going down the mine shaft to see the new mosquito and worker bee guy off screen is swinging his rock hammer softly so as to not wreck the paper mache set.

Hammond's helicopter lands and Grant & Ellie scamper immediately down the very short hill to it - yet in that amount of time Hammond is able to hobble over rocky ground to get into the trailer?

Genarro's line of "If they're not convinced, I'm not convinced."...dude you say that the other way around.

T-Rex breaks out of the paddock on flat ground - five minutes later Grant & Lexi are rappelling down a 50 foot drop at that very same spot. This is the big one.

Car is falling out of the tree? - Climb to the OTHER SIDE. 

Why is Grant still carrying around the fossilized velociraptor claw? He had to have at least brought a change of clothes to the island.

And there's a super long stretch where nothing happens - from about the discussion in the slide show room throughout the beginning of the tour. It's supposed to build tension, it's now just boring. 

Like I said earlier - Timmy, stop jumping around like an idiot and pick up the shotgun.

T-Rex saves the day - by somehow sneaking unnoticed either visually or auditorily into the main hall.

Like I said - it's all petty stuff. But now it is all just too distracting for me. Still a killer score from John Williams. Probably his last great score. 

I'm petty so it's a bunch of little things that would probably be considered "sleight of hand" in constructing a movie, but after you've seen it about 20 times you just can't look past it anymore.

The beginning scene - guy has to manually lift a gate that in any other situation would be operated by a button? Why? So he can get eaten, that's why.

Genarro & Juanito are going down the mine shaft to see the new mosquito and worker bee guy off screen is swinging his rock hammer softly so as to not wreck the paper mache set.

Hammond's helicopter lands and Grant & Ellie scamper immediately down the very short hill to it - yet in that amount of time Hammond is able to hobble over rocky ground to get into the trailer?

Genarro's line of "If they're not convinced, I'm not convinced."...dude you say that the other way around.

T-Rex breaks out of the paddock on flat ground - five minutes later Grant & Lexi are rappelling down a 50 foot drop at that very same spot. This is the big one.

Car is falling out of the tree? - Climb to the OTHER SIDE. 

Why is Grant still carrying around the fossilized velociraptor claw? He had to have at least brought a change of clothes to the island.

And there's a super long stretch where nothing happens - from about the discussion in the slide show room throughout the beginning of the tour. It's supposed to build tension, it's now just boring. 

Like I said earlier - Timmy, stop jumping around like an idiot and pick up the shotgun.

T-Rex saves the day - by somehow sneaking unnoticed either visually or auditorily into the main hall.

Like I said - it's all petty stuff. But now it is all just too distracting for me. Still a killer score from John Williams. Probably his last great score. 
:lol:

Fair enough, and I am not going to argue that those things aren't in there.  To me that is all typical blockbuster stuff that we all overlook when watching most of those types of movies.  Maybe I give it more of a pass than I should.  

I liked Knives Out but clearly not as much as many others. It was good.
I will fully admit to giving higher grades to original movies.   I mean not original in the sense that we've never seen a movie like that, but at least it wasn't a known property, sequel, remake, based on a book, etc..  

:lol:

Fair enough, and I am not going to argue that those things aren't in there.  To me that is all typical blockbuster stuff that we all overlook when watching most of those types of movies.  Maybe I give it more of a pass than I should.  
Right, it's not Lawrence of Arabia but it's fun and thrilling. It still works for me and the score one of Williams best IMO. A good score goes a long way with me. 

Was there discussion about Netflix's Spanish movie, Platform?

Just watched it. Not sure that I'm buying the original hype from my Google feed. Also feels a bit too snowpiercer derivative. Kept feeling like they had to make up bizarro rules for the bizarro story conceit. Aside from the idea of communal mutual benefit vs selfish self interest, not a lot there...except a bizarro ending.

Knives Out was a decent watch, but it's a terrible film because the "twist" could never happen like that.  You KNOW if you just got a hit of morphine, like, pretty instantly.  The whole 10 min thing and the switcheroo was so fake, impossible and manufactured.  

Was there discussion about Netflix's Spanish movie, Platform?

Just watched it. Not sure that I'm buying the original hype from my Google feed. Also feels a bit too snowpiercer derivative. Kept feeling like they had to make up bizarro rules for the bizarro story conceit. Aside from the idea of communal mutual benefit vs selfish self interest, not a lot there...except a bizarro ending.
It was interesting and I actually watched it start to finish, which I count as a win for most things on streaming platforms. I cannot count the number of times I have put a movie on and then paid no attention to it because there was nothing worth paying attention too. Even worse when I start watching a movie and about halfway through I realized I already watched it a few years ago but it was so generic that it took that long to realize it. 

Just watched 7500 on prime, it was ok, fairly stressful and "realistic" in cockpit view of an airplane hijacking. Only one part of the movie was Holywood feeling IMO.

Also watched Cliffhanger for the first time in probably 25 years, not as good as I remembered but not as bad as I thought it would be. 

Right, it's not Lawrence of Arabia but it's fun and thrilling. It still works for me and the score one of Williams best IMO. A good score goes a long way with me. 
Well now that's a horse of a different color. Choosing between JP and LoA, give me the former 10 out of 10 times.

LoA is great if you like watching self important actors portray self important characters. I'm not that kind of viewer. 

Knives Out was a decent watch, but it's a terrible film because the "twist" could never happen like that.  You KNOW if you just got a hit of morphine, like, pretty instantly.  The whole 10 min thing and the switcheroo was so fake, impossible and manufactured.  

Agreed. I think I posted earlier in this thread that I liked it but it wasn't great by any means.
Being that the guy was a mystery writer I expected him to be alive at the end and that it was a hoax to see who in his family deserved to be included in the inheritance.  

My favorite recent “new to me” movies:

1. Carnival of Souls (62): nothing mind blowing and not really scary, but heavy with the creepy atmosphere of 60s horror. It’s not as good as say Eyes Without a Face or Night of the Living Dead but it’s deserving it’s status as a horror classic.

2. Frost/Nixon (08): I’m not sure why I never saw this or why my expectations were low. I guess I hadn’t realized how well received it was at the time and given that I was born in 82, I really didn’t know the backstory on this. It’s quite an incredible slice of history. 

3. Mystery Train (89): It’s more a mini-anthology then a movie but the 80s Memphis atmosphere and incredible weirdness makes this feel special. Bonus points if you love old school rock like Elvis and Carl Perkins. My only complaint is that I think each segment is slightly less interesting than the one before. 

4.Hopsctoch (80): I am sucker for Walter Matthau and these kinds of spy/cat and mouse movies like Charade or NxNW.  

5. Underworld USA (61) Sam Fuller never misses. The noir movies supposedly ended in ‘58 with Touch of Evil but this is pure film noir. A young kid witnesses his dad’s murder which sets him further down a path of crime and ultimately into complex plot to take revenge on the powerful men  responsible for his dad’s death. 

2. Frost/Nixon (08): I’m not sure why I never saw this or why my expectations were low. I guess I hadn’t realized how well received it was at the time and given that I was born in 82, I really didn’t know the backstory on this. It’s quite an incredible slice of history. 

4.Hopsctoch (80): I am sucker for Walter Matthau and these kinds of spy/cat and mouse movies like Charade or NxNW.  
I liked Frost/Nixon. Sheen & Langella are really good.

Hopscotch features the silver screen's most awkward and revolting on-screen kiss ever. :yucky:

I liked Frost/Nixon. Sheen & Langella are really good.

Hopscotch features the silver screen's most awkward and revolting on-screen kiss ever. :yucky:
Sheen and Langella are really good. I totally bought them as those characters. 

Haha yeah like Charade and NxNW, the man hooking up with a woman half his age is a key piece of the story. Of course it’s much easier to buy when it’s Cary Grant than Walter Matthau. 

Sheen and Langella are really good. I totally bought them as those characters. 

Haha yeah like Charade and NxNW, the man hooking up with a woman half his age is a key piece of the story. Of course it’s much easier to buy when it’s Cary Grant than Walter Matthau. 
More awkward than even Hackman & Hershey managed in Hoosiers. 

My favorite recent “new to me” movies:

1. Carnival of Souls (62): nothing mind blowing and not really scary, but heavy with the creepy atmosphere of 60s horror. It’s not as good as say Eyes Without a Face or Night of the Living Dead but it’s deserving it’s status as a horror classic.

3. Mystery Train (89): It’s more a mini-anthology then a movie but the 80s Memphis atmosphere and incredible weirdness makes this feel special. Bonus points if you love old school rock like Elvis and Carl Perkins. My only complaint is that I think each segment is slightly less interesting than the one before. 

5. Underworld USA (61) Sam Fuller never misses. The noir movies supposedly ended in ‘58 with Touch of Evil but this is pure film noir. A young kid witnesses his dad’s murder which sets him further down a path of crime and ultimately into complex plot to take revenge on the powerful men  responsible for his dad’s death. 
Hopscotch is one my favorite films to recommend. Feel like my kids might enjoy it...

You mean C-c-c-aaahhh-l P-p-perkins-a.

Damn, I love that movie.

I liked Hopscotch a lot when I was a kid.  Happy to hear it's held up.

You mean C-c-c-aaahhh-l P-p-perkins-a.

Damn, I love that movie.

I liked Hopscotch a lot when I was a kid.  Happy to hear it's held up.
Can’t deny I developed a quick crush on Mitsuko. It was a little bit of a bummer when she left the movie but yeah it’s a really good movie. What’s the next Jarmusch film to check out? 

Mystery Train 
:lmao:

Oh boy!  Well you've come to the right place, as he is one of my favorite directors.

Absolute must-sees:  Ghost Dog:  The Way of the Samurai; Down By Law; Paterson.  I absolutely love each of these movies, with Ghost Dog being one of my top movies ever.  I've watched each of the first two multiple times, but need to watch Paterson again; I fell in love with both the main characters.

Not for everyone, but probably for you:  Stranger Than Paradise; Dead Man.  You won't be scared away by their being (1) in black-and-white and (2) slow-moving.  They're both gorgeous.  Of the two, I'm a bigger fan of Stranger Than Paradise, which many consider his masterpiece.

Worth seeing if you liked the others:  Night on Earth; Broken Flowers; Coffee and Cigarettes.  The last one is hit-or-miss, but when it hits it really hits.  As a music lover you might enjoy it more than some other people do.

Don't bother with the others.

:lmao:

Oh boy!  Well you've come to the right place, as he is one of my favorite directors.

Absolute must-sees:  Ghost Dog:  The Way of the Samurai; Down By Law; Paterson.  I absolutely love each of these movies, with Ghost Dog being one of my top movies ever.  I've watched each of the first two multiple times, but need to watch Paterson again; I fell in love with both the main characters.

Not for everyone, but probably for you:  Stranger Than Paradise; Dead Man.  You won't be scared away by their being (1) in black-and-white and (2) slow-moving.  They're both gorgeous.  Of the two, I'm a bigger fan of Stranger Than Paradise, which many consider his masterpiece.

Worth seeing if you liked the others:  Night on Earth; Broken Flowers; Coffee and Cigarettes.  The last one is hit-or-miss, but when it hits it really hits.  As a music lover you might enjoy it more than some other people do.

Don't bother with the others.
Thanks for the recs, I will keep an eye out. Are his movies often those kind of anthologies or interwewaving storylines? Or does he usually do more traditional stories.

Users who are viewing this thread