Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

American Utopia - I've been putting off seeing this until I put in my surround sound. I saw part of the concert version at ACL a couple of years ago and was blown away. If you haven't seen the movie - crank up the volume and put it on as soon as possible. Its freakin' awesome.

Its coming back to Broadway. May have to make a trip to NYC.

Edited by whoknew
  • Like 1
  • Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KarmaPolice

• Ilov80s

• jdoggydogg

• El Floppo

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

25th Anniversary of Fargo's release date was Monday. Watched it again last night for the umpteenth time. I still noticed new things. Marge Gunderson is one of cinema's all-time best heroes. 

You know those movies aren't really about him, right?

so THAT'S why i never see you at our Paint Your Wagon discussion groups...

I’m trying to knock off all these “classics” that I have somehow missed. Another gang-cop drama last night and boy was it disappointing. I was very entertained but for what’s supposed to be a edgy gritty cop drama, there was a lot of bad acting, absurd plot points and overall ridiculousness that one had to ignore. The lead was great but I don’t think I was supposed to laugh at him when he referenced King Kong in the movies climax. Though if was still 20, I’m sure I would have loved it.

Training Day 

Edited by Ilov80s
11 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I’m trying to knock off all these “classics” that I have somehow missed. Another gang-cop drama last night and boy was it disappointing. I was very entertained but for what’s supposed to be a edgy gritty cop drama, there was a lot of bad acting, absurd plot points and overall ridiculousness that one had to ignore. The lead was great but I don’t think I was supposed to laugh at him when he referenced King Kong in the movies climax. Though if was still 20, I’m sure I would have loved it.

Am I missing where you are putting what movie it is? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 2/2/2021 at 9:28 AM, Ilov80s said:

I finally got around to watching a movie on HBO Max that I’m almost embarrassed to say I hadn’t seen before. Violent as hell, super stylish and foreign. Blew me away- 5 stars for sure and if I do another best new to me for 2021, this will be tough to top.

You knew it was coming but damn why did they have to do Benny like that? By far the coolest hood. 

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Not sure how I'm feeling about the coy, no movie title thing.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Am I missing where you are putting what movie it is? 

lol nope, intentionally being vague. There’s only one cop gang drama I know if that’s highly regarded and has the memorable line: “King Kong ain’t got sh-t on me”. 

It’s a bit of a game.

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Not sure how I'm feeling about the coy, no movie title thing.

I kind of assumed someone might respond with the name of the movie or guess. Spice things up a bit. 

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

lol nope, intentionally being vague. There’s only one cop gang drama I know if that’s highly regarded and has the memorable line: “King Kong ain’t got sh-t on me”. 

It’s a bit of a game.

Training Day

• Thanks 1

I’ll even offer a prize of sorts to the first person to 20 cine-points. 

Edited by Ilov80s
1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

I kind of assumed someone might respond with the name of the movie or guess. Spice things up a bit. 

I wa thinking Cagney and lack the time or patience to read more into it. I like the idea, but not for me.

• Like 1

You are now in the lead with 5 cine-points. 

I don't think I've seen more than 5 or 6 movies in a theater this century. This was one of them :lol:

• Laughing 1

Thanks, I thought I was alone in thinking that Training Day was pretty ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I wa thinking Cagney and lack the time or patience to read more into it. I like the idea, but not for me.

Fair maybe that one was too vague lol

Just now, El Floppo said:

It was the use of "classic" that threw me, tbh.

Yeah maybe must see is a better description though sadly that movie is probably 20 years old which is crazy to think about. No different time wise than when I was in HS in the late 90s watching old classics like Godfather and Taxi Driver.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ilov80s said:

I finally got around to watching a movie on HBO Max that I’m almost embarrassed to say I hadn’t seen before. Violent as hell, super stylish and foreign. Blew me away- 5 stars for sure and if I do another best new to me for 2021, this will be tough to top.

You knew it was coming but damn why did they have to do Benny like that? By far the coolest hood. 

Oldboy 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Oldboy 

Nope that one was already guessed above, City of God...though keep Oldboy in mind as I need to see it still 

Edited by Ilov80s
3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Nope that one was already guessed above, City of God...though keep Oldboy in mind as I need to see it still 

Oldboy is bonkers but good. 

I didn't care for City of God. :shrug:

48 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Oldboy is bonkers but good. 

Did you watch the remake? I did not - figuring that once you've seen the original and know the story, its kind of pointless. But I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

1 minute ago, whoknew said:

Did you watch the remake? I did not - figuring that once you've seen the original and know the story, its kind of pointless. But I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

No I didn't. Heard it wasn't very good and I'm not much of a Josh Brolin or Spike Lee fan. 

1 hour ago, whoknew said:
2 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The Brazilian movie? That's a fantastic film... 

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 8:28 AM, Ilov80s said:

City of God 

This is one that is on my list to rewatch - maybe this year in my quest for 200.   It really stuck with me for years, and I thought it was amazing, but it's faded from memory a bit.   Glad you liked that much.  

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Training Day 

There are a couple decent scenes, but this one is pretty over the top from what I remember.   Doesn't he have him smoke some PCP or some nonsense at some point too?  

What else is on your list as far as these "classics" that you are trying to cross of your list?  (you can PM them if it spoils your slow reveal movie titles reviews).  

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

There are a couple decent scenes, but this one is pretty over the top from what I remember.   Doesn't he have him smoke some PCP or some nonsense at some point too?  

What else is on your list as far as these "classics" that you are trying to cross of your list?  (you can PM them if it spoils your slow reveal movie titles reviews).  

Yep has him smoke PCP in like the first 10 minutes of the movie. It was fun but just ridiculous and the acting from Snoop and Dre was hilariously bad.

As for the other “classics”- that’s too strong a word, maybe just popular/well regarded/significant movies I missed. And you just have to guess along with everyone else! There  is a prize of sorts. Plus I don’t have a thought out list per say, just scrolling through my streaming options and finding movies I’ve always meant to see. 

Edited by Ilov80s
7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Yep has him smoke PCP in like the first 10 minutes of the movie. It was fun but just ridiculous and the acting from Snoop and Dre was hilariously bad.

As for the other “classics”- that’s too strong a word, maybe just popular/well regarded/significant movies I missed. And you just have to guess along with everyone else! There  is a prize of sorts.

Lol- fair enough.   At least now I know what's going on - this morning I was confused as hell by your posts. 

• Like 2

Looks like I am on pace.  I watched 17 movies that qualified in January.    The last couple I have watched were:

The Painter and the Thief - a doc on Hulu (I think?) about, well... you can guess.    There were some interesting bits as their relationship progressed, but overall I would say it's more in the OK spectrum.  

The Hurt Locker -  I like Renner a little more now because of the Marvel movies and stuff like The Town, so I thought I would try this one again.  I think my feeling is similar to what 80s thought of Training Day.  Entertaining, but nowhere near a "best of X" category that I see it put in.  A couple tense scenes, but it really goes to some silly places that distracts from the movie for me.  

So far my faves are Peanut Butter Falcon, Sound of Metal, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always.   My least favorite were Molly's Game, Dead Never Die, and I'm No Angel.  

I need to get back to my list for more movies though.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Looks like I am on pace.  I watched 17 movies that qualified in January.    The last couple I have watched were:

The Painter and the Thief - a doc on Hulu (I think?) about, well... you can guess.    There were some interesting bits as their relationship progressed, but overall I would say it's more in the OK spectrum.  

The Hurt Locker -  I like Renner a little more now because of the Marvel movies and stuff like The Town, so I thought I would try this one again.  I think my feeling is similar to what 80s thought of Training Day.  Entertaining, but nowhere near a "best of X" category that I see it put in.  A couple tense scenes, but it really goes to some silly places that distracts from the movie for me.  

So far my faves are Peanut Butter Falcon, Sound of Metal, and Never Rarely Sometimes Always.   My least favorite were Molly's Game, Dead Never Die, and I'm No Angel.  

I need to get back to my list for more movies though.  

Do you have a written/typed out list? I’m just kind of winging it as I scroll through apps

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Do you have a written/typed out list? I’m just kind of winging it as I scroll through apps

I got a small notebook to attempt to write down as I go.  :nerd:   

I do think I missed one or two already though.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I got a small notebook to attempt to write down as I go.  :nerd:   

I do think I missed one or two already though.  

Letterboxd bro

13 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Do what now?

It’s a movie app. Google it, it’s fantastic. Great for tracking movies you watch, want to watch, making lists, etc.

• Thanks 3

Ok movie night again. My parents were always pretty open with letting me watch just about anything they rented. However I remember them distinctly refusing to let me watch this. Even without seeing it, I knew the general outline as it was pretty big culturally. When a sweaty Newman parodied it in Seinfeld, I knew what it was a reference to. I have to say this one lived up to the hype. Pure sex and thrills. They do not make them like this anymore. It had more nudity and eroticism than probably every movie made the last 3 years combined. I totally was into it. This was a N-ice pick. Also I heard there was a sequel. I have to imagine it’s absolutely terrible, right?

Basic Instinct

Edited by Ilov80s
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Ok movie night again. My parents were always pretty open with letting me watch just about anything they rented. However I remember them distinctly refusing to let me watch this. Even without seeing it, I knew the general outline as it was pretty big culturally. When a sweaty Newman parodied it in Seinfeld, I knew what it was a reference to. I have to say this one lived up to the hype. Pure sex and thrills. They do not make them like this anymore. It had more nudity and eroticism than probably every movie made the last 3 years combined. I totally was into it. This was a N-ice pick. Also I heard there was a sequel. I have to imagine it’s absolutely terrible, right?

Lol.   I almost watched this one last night as well.   Instead the edible hit and I ended up watching Twilight Zone episodes. 

Basic Instinct - and I do remember the sequel being pretty bad.   Agree 100% they don't make movies like this or Fatal Attraction anymore.   

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Lol.   I almost watched this one last night as well.   Instead the edible hit and I ended up watching Twilight Zone episodes. 

Basic Instinct - and I do remember the sequel being pretty bad.   Agree 100% they don't make movies like this or Fatal Attraction anymore.   

Correct, 3 way tie for 1st place right now with @Uruk-Hai and @guru_007

1 minute ago, belljr said:

What was the movie?  This game is horrible

The more they complain, more movies I watch and vaguely post about 

Wife and I watched The Little Things last night. Outside of a great, eery Night Stalker throwdown from Leto, this was completely pointless and skippable.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, belljr said:

The less I actually care

Just trying to have a little fun. I can just post a review of the movie with the title and get 2 likes and maybe 1 reply. Not sure what’s the point of even doing that. I guess I just won’t post here at all if people really don’t like it. I mean it took 3 minutes for someone to identify the movie and I put it in the post. 

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

:shrug:  I think it's fun.  I was just confused the first time.  

I think it's fun too AND I don't care (I don't have the bandwidth to solve these right now)

• Like 1
Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Well some of us are looking for recommendations of movies we may have missed or may like.  If I don't know the name then :shrug: it doesn't have to stop I just don't like it in this thread ;)

2 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I didn’t even mean it as a game the first time, i just assumed someone would see what movie it was and respond so it just kind of evolved in my bizarre mind from there. 

• Like 1
Just now, belljr said:

Well some of us are looking for recommendations of movies we may have missed or may like.  If I don't know the name then :shrug: it doesn't have to stop I just don't like it in this thread ;)

I get that.  I’m also looking for recommendations. These are movies I promise aren’t new movies to anyone. They are movies most movie lovers have seen except me. Also the answers should in theory come quickly and I’ll add them to the post. I just recommend about 50 movies a few pages back that are maybe a bit more obscure in my list of best new watches 2020 if interested.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I didn’t even mean it as a game the first time, i just assumed someone would see what movie it was and respond so it just kind of evolved in my bizarre mind from there. 

Only seen it the once, so I didn't know the City of God reference, but knew Training Day.  

• Like 1

And can we talk about how incredibly hot Sharon Stone was in Basic Instinct? I totally get why Michael Douglas was willing to risk it all for her. My goooooodnes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

And can we talk about how incredibly hot Sharon Stone was in Basic Instinct? I totally get why Michael Douglas was willing to risk it all for her. My goooooodnes.

Oh yes.  It's a bit part of success of the movie - the confidence and sex appeal just oozed off her.  That element just wasn't quite there with something like Fatal Attraction.  

• Like 1