What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (7 Viewers)

@Capella illustrates  a good point about reserving too much conviction over these Oscar awards. People complain about who won what and what deserved to win but we aren't always good at answering that question in real time. It takes 5-10-15 years for these opinions to really crystallize. The Artist for example won Best Picture at almost every major award show and was universally loved. Within a year or 2 of winning,  everyone flipped their opinions and it's now often ranked as one of the least deserving winners. American Beauty was something everyone was talking about and seemed to really capture the zeitgeist of 1999-2000. If a 20 year old watches that movie now, they will be like "what the creepy #### is this?" Then you had movies like Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Like and basically Hitchcock's entire filmography that were recognized at the time but certainly not pegged as the best movies ever made or anything historic. It was decades later than people came around to them as being truly special. 

Not too different than how we and the media just NFL draft classes the day after the draft when things tend to look a lot different 5 years later. 
This is well said. I do think there are some ridiculous examples that even in the context of their time period, the decisions were terrible. Do The Right Thing was very highly thought of even upon its initial release, and it wasn't even nominated in a year that saw the white-friendly Driving Miss Daisy win best picture. 

This is well said. I do think there are some ridiculous examples that even in the context of their time period, the decisions were terrible. Do The Right Thing was very highly thought of even upon its initial release, and it wasn't even nominated in a year that saw the white-friendly Driving Miss Daisy win best picture. 
Yep, the Oscars get wrong a lot. The public is wrong a lot. It's hard to predict how time will impact perspective on movies. 

Nobody

(I know there's probably a new film thread, but I'm too lazy to look for that.)

Loved seeing a movie in a theater for the first time in 14 months. Fans of John Wick or Atomic Blonde will probably like this movie. Funny, good fight choreography, and it even manages some interesting innovations in the genre. I know the thought that comedian Bob Odenkirk doing an action film seems weird. But the reason it works for me is we've been trained to associate ex military types with huge guys like Arnold and Stallone. But if you've ever met any special forces guys, some of them can really blend into a crowd. Liked the movie a lot. Fun time at the movies. 

Yep, the Oscars get wrong a lot. The public is wrong a lot. It's hard to predict how time will impact perspective on movies. 
Oh definitely. After all, Rolling Stone hated Led Zeppelin in 1972, and now several of the band's albums appear on RS's all time greatest albums list. 

Oh definitely. After all, Rolling Stone hated Led Zeppelin in 1972, and now several of the band's albums appear on RS's all time greatest albums list. 
Yes and looking at the highest charting songs from year to year reveal the public often has terrible taste in music. It's a weird thing though how something can seem so great at the time and totally fall apart in a couple years. 

Yes and looking at the highest charting songs from year to year reveal the public often has terrible taste in music. It's a weird thing though how something can seem so great at the time and totally fall apart in a couple years. 
Pop music (and I do enjoy pop music) is ephemeral. It's a duel-edged sword: on one hand, it is easily accessible and instantly likeable, but the more challenging and difficult music is the thing that survives. 

:grad:

Pop music (and I do enjoy pop music) is ephemeral. It's a duel-edged sword: on one hand, it is easily accessible and instantly likeable, but the more challenging and difficult music is the thing that survives. 

I think that is probably true though it is still even more complicated than that. I still think there are some difficult to describe qualities that make one Hot 100 pop song timeless and makes another become cringeworthy. 

Funny you mention music because the music in Nobody was pretty much perfect and added another layer to the movie

I think that is probably true though it is still even more complicated than that. I still think there are some difficult to describe qualities that make one Hot 100 pop song timeless and makes another become cringeworthy. 
Now we're getting into the molecular level of music. 

Watched the Elizabeth Moss Invisible Man movie from last year. It was fine. Probably would have made a great theater date movie. Has absolutely no connection at all to the original other than a man being invisible. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother with Stowaway.
Agree unfortunately

Premise had promise and the actors were fine with the roles they had but the decisions, choices, actions of the characters and what seemed to me the lack of weight concerning those decisions made me say" really??"on more than a couple occasions.

lack of weight
Apt. 

Just didn't go anywhere or create any sense of pacing or interest in the characters or their decisions. I genuinely didn't care what was going on...the writers, editor and director didn't do this story any favors. And especially with the cheap oh no sun storm deus ex machina plot device moment.  And even the premise wasn't anything new or interesting imo.

And speaking of weightless, that was centrifugal force creating the gravity on their climb/descent, right? Otherwise, huh?

Uh, how much did Speed score in the movie draft? :oldunsure:

(It was probably too many points) 

That was a movie that aged badly....as I originally sat watching it in the theater.
Interesting, I will have to rewatch it but when I last saw it 5 or so years ago it was still great. A bit cheesy ofcourse but it's an action movie so that is to be expected. 
:goodposting:   .. I still enjoy it, but watch it more in the realm of a "Comic Book to Movie" .. It is sooooo over the top with the dialogue at times that you just have to roll with it and laugh..

“They're the police. Hey, your taxes are paying their salaries. We die, they gotta take a pay cut.”
Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?

Harry: You shoot me and they give you a medal, you little bleep....

Jack Traven: Harry, you told me to.
:lol:  

Just watched Tenet.

I have a headache.
Just finished. Agreed. I mean I enjoyed the hell out of it but I have barely a clue of what happened. I mean I do, but ...uh...

I wish I could tell you about plot holes but... uh....

So driving forward, while in the past but in reverse.... uh...

Gonna hit up YouTube to see if somebody can explain some of it to me. 

Watched the Elizabeth Moss Invisible Man movie from last year. It was fine. Probably would have made a great theater date movie. Has absolutely no connection at all to the original other than a man being invisible. 
I mostly enjoyed it. Not great, but worth a casual watch. 

Anybody else watching Mosquito Coast on Apple? It's on ep2 and is compelling enough so far...feels like Captain Fantastic (Vigo) meets Sicario meets... dunno. Compelling enough so far.

Having re-watched the entire first series of Twin Peaks and mostly loving it, it decided to re-watch the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. Oh lord, was that awful. I couldn't even finish it.  
i re-watched the original series before watching the reboot when it first came out, enjoyed it as well - adjusting for lack of surprise factor - and thrilled to the reboot, but STILL couldnt abide Fire Walk With Me

i re-watched the original series before watching the reboot when it first came out, enjoyed it as well - adjusting for lack of surprise factor - and thrilled to the reboot, but STILL couldnt abide Fire Walk With Me
I started the reboot and didn't enjoy it. But so many trusted friends liked the reboot it makes me want to give it another shot. 

Casting issues aside, West Side Story is such an incredible production. Not sure what Spielberg and Co. are thinking remaking this. That trailer looked awful. 

Casting issues aside, West Side Story is such an incredible production. Not sure what Spielberg and Co. are thinking remaking this. That trailer looked awful. 
Floppinhos classmate is in it. I know they filmed all over the hood too. We're all in on this one.

Big fan of the original- seems like the reboot is set in the same era with the same songs?

Floppinhos classmate is in it. I know they filmed all over the hood too. We're all in on this one.

Big fan of the original- seems like the reboot is set in the same era with the same songs?
Looked like the same era and I can't imagine you change the songs. How do you come up with better music than WSS? I guess they did scrap the original snappy choreography so who knows, maybe Maria and America will be replaced by new EDM numbers. 

Yeah, this seems terrible.
I'm not against classics being remade. WSS just seems like such a perfect execution of something that doesn't really translate as is to 2020. You could remake the idea of it with updated music and really modernize it. But to stick with the songs, era and all that, just seems like an impossible bar to clear. 

Nobody

(I know there's probably a new film thread, but I'm too lazy to look for that.)

Loved seeing a movie in a theater for the first time in 14 months. Fans of John Wick or Atomic Blonde will probably like this movie. Funny, good fight choreography, and it even manages some interesting innovations in the genre. I know the thought that comedian Bob Odenkirk doing an action film seems weird. But the reason it works for me is we've been trained to associate ex military types with huge guys like Arnold and Stallone. But if you've ever met any special forces guys, some of them can really blend into a crowd. Liked the movie a lot. Fun time at the movies. 
Saw this tonight and loved it.  I think I actually liked it better than John Wick.  Very well done for a movie in that genre.

I'm not against classics being remade. WSS just seems like such a perfect execution of something that doesn't really translate as is to 2020. You could remake the idea of it with updated music and really modernize it. But to stick with the songs, era and all that, just seems like an impossible bar to clear. 
You should be!! 

;)  

You should be!! 

;)  
There have been some good examples, right?

Ben-Hur, multiple versions of A Star is Born, Scarface, Magnificent 7 (60s one based Seven Samurai), Invastion of the Body Snatchers. Though most of those weren't quite on the same level as West Side Story. I am sure the list of terrible remakes is longer though. 

There have been some good examples, right?

Ben-Hur, multiple versions of A Star is Born, Scarface, Magnificent 7 (60s one based Seven Samurai), Invastion of the Body Snatchers. Though most of those weren't quite on the same level as West Side Story. I am sure the list of terrible remakes is longer though. 
There are some good ones, yes.   The Thing is another one.  

Mostly joking, but yeah - the list of terrible remakes is a hell of a lot longer than good ones.  

There are some good ones, yes.   The Thing is another one.  

Mostly joking, but yeah - the list of terrible remakes is a hell of a lot longer than good ones.  
Yeah, though not sure I would call the original Thing a classic. I like it but it's pretty silly. 

True Grit?  I didn't see the remake but think it was well received.

Yeah, hard to think of many "classics" that were remade well.

Users who are viewing this thread